Start by marking “The Secret of Spiggy Holes (The Secret Series, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Secret of Spiggy Holes (The Secret Series, #2)

The Secret of Spiggy Holes (The Secret Series #2)

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  821 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
While on holiday by the sea, Mike, Peggy, Nora and their friend Jack go exploring in the caves on the beach. They soon discover a secret passage that leads to the Old House on the cliff, where they find a kidnapped young prince is being held captive! The friends make a bold plan to help the Prince escape - but will it succeed?
Published June 2002 by Award Publications (first published September 1st 1970)

To ask other readers questions about The Secret of Spiggy Holes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret of Spiggy Holes

Syl
Jun 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I have read this book umpteen times in my childhood. And it was just as interesting as it was when I started it again a couple of days ago. This is about 4 children falling into a mystery and helping a kidnapped prince escape, while eating lots of goodies in between. Was Enid Blyton a foodie? all her books are chocful of treats and I feel hungry whenever I read those books.
shruti
Apr 04, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: enid blyton fans
This second book of the "secret" series is much weaker than the first. The first was different and more creative than the other Enid Blyton books, but the remainder of the series falls into her usual pattern. Which is a pattern I love, obviously, but I was surprised and happy about how different The Secret Island was that I guess I hoped it would hold through for the series.
Luffy
Nov 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, pretty-good
Like for other series of hers, Enid Blyton earns her spurs during description of coastlines and caves and secret passages. The various forgotten routes and secret mechanisms to activate doors are maturely exposed and I feel I cannot really write as good as a detailed story myself. So it's confirmed that Enid Blyton is a better storyteller than me. But I knew that already! The plot is about a dark young Prince being kidnapped. The main character of the previous book, The Secret Island, makes a c ...more
Priyam
Oct 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely LOVED this book. It used to be my most favorite book for a LONG time!
Tin
Mar 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Gosh! I loved this book as a child. It was the one that got me into reading novels and loving adventure stories.
Michele Mason
Jun 07, 2017 rated it liked it
A great children's book, full of excitement and thrills. I grew up on the books of Enid Bayton, so this brought back very fond memories. What stands out in her books is the independence of the children and their great abilities for problem solving. But, of course the world was much simpler then. One thing I really noticed in this book was the heavy focus on food - it's hard to believe that these children didn't end up as greatly overweight at the end of their summer holidays!
But, with the indepe
Matt
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of the first books I ever read. I loved it then and I love it now.

I had a great emotional attachment to the Arnold children and Jack, so this may colour my review.

This is a book about a charming Cornwall cove, interesting old houses, caves and secret passages, exciting derring-do involving kidnappers, an exotic foreign prince, and children messing about in boats. What more can a child want?

The name "Spiggy" is a funny one, in several senses of the word and it is tempting to suggest that it i
Kirsten Yates
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read and reread this book as a child along with my older sister. When Mr10 turned 5 we began our own journey into the secret series and now we own and love them all. Fast forward and now Mr7 is enjoying a chapter each night. Sometimes it's very hard to stop after one chapter.. the danger, the mystery.. the adventure... so very well writing and warming... thoroughly recommend...
Wendy
Dec 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
When I was a child, I Read and Reread The Secret Island and its sequels for years.
Edited: Not 3rd, but 2nd book continues the adventures of our adventurous heroes and heroines. One of Enid Blyton's best series. : likely a bit dated now but what a fun read!
I have just reread the books in the series as an adult. These books were written in the 1940s, so perspectives, behaviors portrayed are obviously different. There is a little "racism" "sexism" but only because of the times it was written. The
Jake Collins
Sep 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's not surprising to learn that the 'Secret' series contains Enid Blyton's first works in the adventure genre, as the building blocks for many 'Famous Five' and 'Adventure' stories are easy to spot in this book. Just about any later novel with secret caves and passages, signalling from towers, and foreign princes who need to come to England for a proper, decent education to remove their horrible foreign ways, can be traced back to The Secret of Spiggy Holes.

In their pure and unrefined form, th
Karthik
Jan 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Last year, I returned to Enid Blyton after a gap of many years with this book. After that went on to read over 40 books. Did not like the book much when I read it the first time but totally loved it reading it a second time. Think one needs to get into the right mood for Enid Blyton in order to enjoy her stories. Now reading this book in a series after the first book, it was kind of fun - it gives you more background and opportunity to connect with the characters. Of course the characters are no ...more
Eva
Jun 14, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Setelah membaca serunya buku pertama dari seri 4 Serangkai, Pulau Rahasia, kemudian membaca seri keduanya ini agak kecewa juga. Karena saya tidak terlalu berharap petualangan yang bertemu dengan kriminal. Mungkin kalau tidak terlalu jauh berbeda saya akan memberi bintang 4 atau 5, tapi karena tidak sesuai harapan saya maka secara subjektif saya memberi bintang 3 saja. Bukan karena buku ini tidak terlalu bagus ya..
Harapan saya dari kisah ini sebenarnya hanya petualangan anak-anak saja dan bertaha
Kirsti
Dec 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Thankfully I could read books one and two in this series with no interruption, and I did so this lazy Sunday afternoon. I knew from reading the Killimooin book, about the character Paul, so I was expecting him to come along. I half wished he hadn't, in comparison to 'Secret Island', Killimooin is a little mediocre, so I didn't expect as much from this book as the first. I also didn't get as much as from the first. I think dear old Enid should have left the four children as they were, and not inc ...more
Cindy Cheung
May 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-top-favorite
I loved this book almost just as much as The Secret Island!! It was interesting to read how the children could save Paul from his uncle. It was very very secretive...and mysterious. I love this book!!!
Andrea Hickman Walker
A fairly standard Enid Blyton mystery, which of course means that it was great fun to read. I look forward to the rest of the books in the series - and wonder if each of them will also involve another trip to the secret island of the first book.
Scorch
Mar 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
After I read The Secret Island, I read this book. Honestly the best sequel I have ever come across! If you liked the first book, read this one because it's absolutely fantastic!!
Arshia Zehra
Sep 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
I liked the book as it was smugglers and rescueing so it had a mysterious and most inportantly dangerous feel which i liked a lot..............
S.M.
Dec 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Anything by Enid Blyton is automatically awesome. A sea-side mystery by Enid Blyton is double awesome. 500 stars!
Sahar
Aug 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
i liked the book .....but it is'nt as good as sum of the R.L Stine books....(ofcoure R.L Stine is a better writer)
Rayiza
Mar 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: udah-diresensi
Sedikit capek ngebacanya...
mungkin masalah bahasa aja kali yah...
Roshni
Nov 05, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
The Famous Five solve another puzzling mystery
Jul 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
one of my favourite childhood books, still fantastic!
Vcmc
Dec 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
I don't remember this one well (if at all) from childhood but such fun to read. The adult carer/ friend, Dimmy is a lovely character- warm, good-humoured, caring, solid.
James Hamblin
Feb 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book has to be somewhere at the top in my favourite childhood books, the pictures and adventure of it is still there in my head.
Latifah
Jan 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
It was very mysterious.
Jamie
Oct 01, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: adventure, j, secrets, caves
The Secret Island is one of my all-time favourite books. Perhaps because I'm reading it through adult eyes and without the same nostalgia as the first book, but this was fairly bland.
Gabriel
Sep 10, 2012 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Gabriel by: My father.
This was a truly excellent series to read as a 12 year-old boy. They all filled me up with a sense of wonder and expectaction, and I read a few of them several times. Highly recommended.
Nikky Captain
Oct 12, 2016
Mitali
Apr 26, 2012
Nishant
Sep 01, 2012
  • The Famous Five And The Mystery Of The Emeralds (Knight Books)
  • Manners
  • Well Done, The Naughtiest Girl! (The Naughtiest Girl, #8)
  • Tiger on the Track (Animal Ark, #39)
  • The Third Form at St. Clare's (St. Clare's, #7)
  • Silver Bullet (Night Fall, #6)
  • Lion by the Lake (Animal Ark, #24)
  • The Princess of the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #3)
  • Killing Time (Ties That Bind Trilogy, #1)
  • The Prince She Had to Marry (Bravo Royales, #2)
  • My Naughty Little Sister's Friends (Naughty Little Sister, #5)
  • Brer Rabbit Again
  • Boy and Going Solo
Enid Mary Blyton (1897 - 1968) was an English author of children's books.

Born in South London, Blyton was the eldest of three children, and showed an early interest in music and reading. She was educated at St. Christopher's School, Beckenham, and - having decided not to pursue her music - at Ipswich High School, where she trained as a kindergarten teacher. She taught for five years before her 192
More about Enid Blyton...

The Secret Series (5 books)
  • The Secret Island (The Secret Series, #1)
  • The Secret Mountain (The Secret Series, #3)
  • The Secret of Killimooin (The Secret Series, #4)
  • The Secret Of Moon Castle (The Secret Series, #5)