Start by marking “There's No Place Like Hope: A Guide to Beating Cancer in Mind-Sized Bites: A Book of Hope, Help and Inspiration for Cancer Patients and Their Families” as Want to Read:

4.38  ·  Rating details ·  74 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
This is Vickie Girard’s long-awaited and completely indispensable survival guide for cancer patients and their families. Regardless of the type of cancer, here is an immediate, practical, and inspiring guide that will empower any patient to better fight and survive this disease. Through her involvement with the Cancer Treatment Centersof America and The American Cancer Soc ...more
Published September 1st 2008 by Compendium Publishing & Communications (first published March 2001)

To ask other readers questions about There's No Place Like Hope, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about There's No Place Like Hope

Lisa
Jan 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I bought this book three times last year. The first was for my stepfather, diagnosed with esophageal cancer in February 2011. It was recommended to me by a friend who's husband is a survivor of the same cancer, although the author is a breast cancer (met.) survivor. It doesn't matter. Cancer is cancer and there really is no place like hope when you are devastated with that kind of diagnosis. I would definitely recommend.
Heidi Kukta
Mar 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book was quite good. We just found out my father has cancer and I picked this up, and then after reading it, picked it up for my brother, my sister and my parents. It is positive, helpful, and straightforward. In these scary and confusing moments, it helped me to see that although this battle is far from over, there can be small victories every day. I highly recommend this book!
Alison McDonough
Feb 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Thank you so much Denise for the gift of this book❤ ...more
Mrsgaskell
Aug 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health
My counselor recommended this book and I picked it up at the library today. I was looking forward to it and couldn’t resist dipping into the book in the car and when I first arrived home. The bits I read so resonated with me that I put aside my book in progress to read this book instead and finished it. I would highly recommend it to cancer patients and their loved ones. The author survived stage 4 breast cancer and she shares thoughts on hope and empowerment as one faces diagnosis, treatment, d ...more
Samantha D
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very positive (but also realistic) way of thinking about living with cancer.
Marcia
Jan 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: x2016
This book was handed to me just after my third surgery and before starting radiation treatments. The short chapters replicate the typical cancer journey; and while many of the mind-sized bites didn't seem to fit my circumstances, I still ended up with Post-Its hanging out from all edges of the book. The most encouraging thing about the book is that here and there I came across passages that confirmed I wasn't imagining things and that what I was feeling or experiencing was normal...if there is s ...more
Sue Parker
Dec 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I was given this book by a friend just after receiving the news that I have breast cancer. Life isn't always easy and sometimes it throws you a curve ball. I do feel better about the journey I am about to begin. Vickie has done a great job of putting the struggles of cancer survivors into perspective. This book is full of information. I know this will be a book that I will read more than just once.
Michelle
Nov 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Another book on my shelf of "books I wish I didn't need to read". . .but with my youngest sister recently diagnosed with advanced ovarian cancer, this book has been so helpful to our family. Written by Girard, who lived with cancer for many years,her insight, honesty, and at times humor makes this book one I would always recommend for families facing the word we all wish we would never hear. . .cancer!
Kristina
Aug 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
Got this book for my parents and my dad told me it helped to give him hope and perspective. I'd have to agree with him. I appreciated the author's no-nonsense attitude and was amazed that she lived for 15 years after receiving her "terminal" diagnosis. An encouraging book full of hopeful little mantras.
Leah
Mar 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
A very inspiration little book that I read just after my treatment ended in 2013. Nice bite-sized statements that were just what I needed to read at that moment. Could definitely go back to over and over again. I would have given it 5 stars but didn't like the minor Christian messages that came through - would have preferred a more inclusive approach.
Kim
May 30, 2010 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
This book is helpful, but I'm very frustrated. My dad is receiving chemo for stomach cancer. I cannot believe the medical profession believes chemo is a "treatment" for cancer. It's making my dad so sick. Why can't researchers find something that boosts the immune sytem, instead of weakening with chemo?
Beverly
Feb 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
"There's No Place Like Hope" is a wonderful book, whether you have cancer or not. One of our book club members recommended this book to our club. I'm so glad that she told us about the book. Everyone should read it.
Lily
Feb 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who has cancer & definitely any cancer caretakers
Shelves: onlythebest
One of the best books I've read this past year about coping with cancer. It doesn't have to be a cover to cover read, some days I'll just flip it open and read a couple entries. It infuses much needed humor, understanding and encouragement to keep fighting the fight. Hope is my new middle name.
Jessica Hamilton
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is everything we need to hear through this extremely difficult journey.
Anisah
May 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is such an inspiring book! Not just For anyone battling cancer, but for the family and friends of cancer patients too!
Erin
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A must for those dealing with cancer, especially those who are in stages 3 or 4 and are told they're "terminal."
Shelly
Jun 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Could not have gotten through my mom's cancer diagnosis without it. I gave a copy to my mom in a care package and she loved it to!
Hiraeth