Start by marking “Build Your Own Earth Oven: A Low-Cost Wood-Fired Mud Oven, Simple Sourdough Bread, Perfect Loaves” as Want to Read:

Earth ovens combine the utility of a wood-fired, retained-heat oven with the ease and timeless beauty of earthen construction. Building one will appeal to bakers, builders, and beginners of all kinds, from: the serious or aspiring baker who wants the best low-cost bread oven, togardeners who want a centerpiece for a beautiful outdoor kitchen, tooutdoor chefs, tocreative pe ...more
Published February 1st 2001 by Hand Print Press (first published May 15th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Build Your Own Earth Oven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Build Your Own Earth Oven

Matt
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The only book you'll need to build yourself an oven, and just possibly become one with nature in the process. Delightful and useful.
Jack Stephens
Kiko Denzer's gifts as an artist and teacher shine in this book. Building an earthen oven is the perfect project to satisfy many desires to be useful, creative and healthy, and "Build Your Own Earth Oven" speaks to those desires eloquently and practically. With Kiko as a guide you can make something that is fun, useful, artful, cheap, practical and beautiful. And then, thanks to Hannah Field's expertise as a baker, you can enjoy delicious and healthy artisan breads, and so much more.

I especially
Toby
Dec 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: slow, food, oven
Learning to build and fire an earth oven is a fascinating project. This is *the* book that you must have if you want to do it. Be careful to get the most recent edition since a lot of new information has been added over time. One caution on this though... the earlier editions had simpler, easier to build oven plans. Those plans are legitimate and they do work. You should not get caught up in a complicated design (unless you enjoy that), but should focus on the amazing fact that you can build an ...more
Kristen Gurri
Mar 03, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: how-to, 2-non-fiction
Great book/concept. We have built small practice ovens and the kids have loved it. If you need things spelled out in measurements and precise line by line instructions this book will frustrate you a bit. I really liked the way it encourages you to learn by your own experience and guides you through the trial and error stages. I agree with other reviews - a practical sized earth oven is the work of several casual weekend projects. Gather materials, build the base, build the oven, insulate. Much m ...more
Lisa
Aug 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I built an earth oven using these using instructions in the book. Three years out it is still holding up to the weather. Word of warning though, be sure if you do decide to build one you have easy access to the opening. Ours is really low to the ground and I haven't used it as much as I'd like because of having to kneel down all the time. It would have been better to have it raised on a higher platform of rocks or a solid mount of dirt. It's a really great way to bake, though, and even store bou ...more
Micki
Dec 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: foodies, hippies, DIY-ers
Oh, I read this book in the wrong season! The ground is frozen, and there's no way I can easily build an earth oven to try out the fun stuff in the book! But maybe in the spring!

This is a hopeful kind of book, of the "Mother Earth News" hippie genre of books, where the author tells the reader, "yes, you too can do this traditional craft/art." (-: I have a feeling it will be more trouble than it's worth, but come spring, I plan to try making my own pizza oven.

The writing is zesty and bubbly, and
Dave
Apr 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I built one two years ago using this book as a guide. Lots of fun playing in the mud with my kids ensued. In use, it takes some practice to get the temperature right for bread, but you can use it right from the beginning for the best pizza you will ever have. Made pizza's for a work party, they cooked in only 90 seconds! most people spent more time building the pizza than it took to cook one.

If you want to have a very cool conversation piece in your backyard, go for it!
Kyle
May 26, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: aspiring oven builders
Shelves: bread
The book itself contains much useful and encouraging information on constructing your own adobe oven in a variety of circumstances. The bread section is pretty crude, however, to the point that its pages would have been much better spent providing more information on oven construction.
Lin
Aug 14, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: gourmets, diy types, tree huggers, environmentalists
This inspired me to make my own wood-fired oven from recycled materials and clay. Currently I am building the foundation. You can finish this in a weekend (once you have all the supplies assembled), but I've set the modest goal of one-month for this project.
Christina
Jan 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book is awesome!!! I especially love Denzer's comments about bread and art. The last couple pages of the book were so powerful. He articulates so well the magic of bread-especially one made with love and a earth.
Dec 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: building
add it to the pile of references for whenever i finally get to build one.
Pzikmanis
Oct 05, 2014 rated it liked it
This is a true Hippie book. Essentially how to build a functioning wood oven from dirt and junk in your backyard.
Charlie
May 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very well done "how to..." if you ever get the urge to build your own wood-fired oven literally from the dirt on your own property... though probably not for sub-urbanites. :)
Edwin Whiting
Mar 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome read. Learn the simple way one can build a wood fired oven out of mud. You get to play in the mud and learn at the same time: what could be better :) :)
Briverb
Dec 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
can't wait till Spring to build one!
Cillaann
Jul 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I have read through this book so many times it isn't funny. Someday I really want to build a mud oven in my back yard before I die.
Dave Riley
Aug 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
The standard work with all the DIY you'll need to build and fire up an outdoor oven. Good sense advice with descriptive illustrations.

Aug 04, 2009 rated it liked it
I won't have the opportunity to try this out until next summer, but this book is definitely inspiring.
Tanya
May 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very detailed and great photo's to help inspire such a project.
Ro
Jun 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
A rarity if you are searching for information on how to build an outdoor oven. Easy to understand and detailed with photos and illustrations.
Scott
Mar 25, 2018
Samuel
Nov 11, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Hand-Sculpted House: A Philosophical and Practical Guide to Building a Cob Cottage: A Practical Guide to Building a Cob Cottage (The Real Goods Solar Living Book): 10
  • Home Work: Handbuilt Shelter
  • The Solar House: Passive Solar Heating and Cooling
  • Water Storage: Tanks, Cisterns, Aquifers, and Ponds for Domestic Supply, Fire and Emergency Use--Includes How to Make Ferrocement Water Tanks
  • Tree Crops: A Permanent Agriculture
  • The $50 and Up Underground House Book
  • The Humanure Handbook: A Guide to Composting Human Manure
  • Building Green: A Complete How-To Guide to Alternative Building Methods Earth Plaster * Straw Bale * Cordwood * Cob * Living Roofs
  • Preserving Food without Freezing or Canning: Traditional Techniques Using Salt, Oil, Sugar, Alcohol, Drying, Cold Storage, and Lactic Fermentation
  • The Bread Builders: Hearth Loaves and Masonry Ovens
  • Root Cellaring: Natural Cold Storage of Fruits  Vegetables
  • The Straw Bale House
  • Sun, Wind & Light: Architectural Design Strategies
  • Edible Forest Gardens: 2 Volume Set
  • Natural Beekeeping: Organic Approaches to Modern Apiculture
  • Homegrown and Handmade: A Practical Guide to More Self-Reliant Living
  • The Profitable Hobby Farm, How to Build a Sustainable Local Foods Business
  • The Resilient Farm and Homestead: An Innovative Permaculture and Whole Systems Design Approach