Jump to ratings and reviews
New York Times bestselling author Gena Showalter begins a dark, sexy new series—Rise of the Warlords—with a fan favorite character from her beloved Lords of the Underworld series, Taliyah Skyhawk. The ice maiden faces off with her greatest enemy, a villain brutal beyond imagining.

For centuries, Taliyah Skyhawk has prepared to become Harpy General, leader of the deadliest female army in existence. One of the requirements? Remain a virgin. But, for a chance to save her people, she must wed the fearless leader of the Astra Planeta, Alaroc Phaethon.

The time has come for Roc to sacrifice another virgin bride to his god. There has never been a woman alluring enough to tempt him from his path. No warrioress powerful enough to overcome his incredible strength. No enchantress desirable enough to make him burn beyond reason. Until now.

With the clock ticking, war between husband and wife ignites. Except Taliyah never expected the merciless king to challenge the future she once envisioned. She certainly never anticipated the thrill of their battles turning into games… The problem is, only one spouse can survive.

Love is a battlefield in Showalter’s The Warlord.

First published April 20, 2021

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Gena Showalter

231 books26.6k followers
Gena Showalter is the New York Times and USA TODAY bestselling author of over seventy books, including the acclaimed Lords of the Underworld series, the Gods of War series, the White Rabbit Chronicles, and the Forest of Good and Evil series. She writes sizzling paranormal romance, heartwarming contemporary romance, and unputdownable young adult novels, and lives in Oklahoma City with her family and menagerie of dogs and cats.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Displaying 1 - 30 of 575 reviews
Profile Image for Naomi.
545 reviews23 followers
February 27, 2022
“I hear you’re holding auditions for Bloodthirstiest Harpy, and I’m here for my reading.”
Am I completely biased when it comes to Gena's books? Maybe. Does this mean I didn't love-this-book-so-much-my-heart-is-still-racing-hours-after-finishing-it? Hell no. I've been a huge Gena Showalter's fan for many years, my first book blog was named after her Lords of the Underworld series, way before she even knew who I was. This woman never fails to blow my mind.

The Warlord is the first book in her brand new Rise of the Warlords series, a direct spin-off and continuation of her LotU series. This book can easily be read even if you've never read any of her other books, it's written for both old and new readers.

I was immediately, from the very first quote, drawn to the story. It starts with a bang and just doesn't stop. I think this might be one of Gena's most daring book, she didn't hold back and I loved every single moment.

Taliyah Skyhawk is a character we know and love so I was extremely excited to learn more about her Harpy self, and oh boy, did Gena not disappoint. Taliyah is exactly how I always wanted her to be: stone-cold badass. She will do anything for her people and her family, she's a warrior through and through and I loved that Gena didn't make her more soft or pliable. She also has secrets, yes, more than one, and they just made the entire story better.
“This is your idea of punishment, warlord? Or did you decide to seize the first excuse to finger me?”
Alaroc 'Roc' Phaethon is also a stone-cold killer badass. He's a brand new character and he also introduces a brand new species, the Astra Planeta. Roc is their commander, their leader. And let me tell you, they are not here to fuck around. I don't want to go into too much details because I think the synopsis does a great job of giving you exactly what you need to know before diving into this book, but I...wasn't fully prepared for them. That's not a bad thing though because I loved them and I loved Roc. That man has my whole soul.
“I’ll take your life, harpy, but I won’t take your right to choose your end. Surrender or fight me. You decide.”
Gena threw me with this book, in the best way. I loved loved loved that she wrote something a little more bold and she did it perfectly. The sex scenes in this book were something else, and there's one in particular I need to go reread right now actually. For reasons. It also made my heart so happy to see some other characters we know and love, and I can't wait for more.

The Warlord is a spectacular first book, it is nothing like you expect and it will literally blow you away.

Disclaimer: I was able to read an early copy of this book as I work for the author.

Profile Image for Lana ❇✾DG Romance❇✾.
1,987 reviews11.7k followers
May 5, 2021
4 STARS
I’ve never been a hero. I’ve never wanted to be. I make a better villain.

Gena Showalter: announces new series
Me:
*giggles in giddy fangirl*
When I saw the new series announcement from Gena, I'm pretty sure I spent hours stalking any and all information on it. Then I spent months, and I mean MONTHS, stalking for the book. The level of anticipation was high, people!

The Warlord is a brand new book in Gena's Rise of The Warlords series but it's also an overarching series from her Lords of The Underworld. If you recall the harpy sisters from that The Darkest Surrender? We get Taliyah Skyhawk's story in this one and man was it delicious.

If there's one thing that I love about Gena's books, it's her fierce heroines. And Taya was all of those things and more. With a bloodline that's a deadly secret, Taliyah grew up with one goal in life; becoming Harpy General. Leading a deadly army of female harpies is all she wants and she'll sacrifice anything, including staying a virgin to do it. I know, right?! Plot twist.

Roc is the deadly leader of the Astra Planeta, a fierce army of ancient warriors feared in every realm. His task? To sacrifice a virgin bride to ensure his army receives a mystical blessing. If he fails, they're cursed to utter defeat for 500 years. And Roc would do anything for his warriors.

First of all, the antagonism and hate lust between these two? *chefs kiss* SO GOOD. Roc is all broody, grumpy, and warlordy. And Taya is sassy, hilarious, and always game to press every button he has and a few he didn't even know he has. And this reader? Gobbled it right up.
I should probably apologize for my tardiness, and I will, just as soon as I’m sorry. As your men are proving with their nineinch salutes, I’m totally worth the wait. Well, he’s giving me ten.” She winked at Silver. “Bravo, sir.”

As always the world building was enticing, vivid, and full of new characters I can't wait to read more about. Including a cameo by my beloved Hades. Well not really a cameo, more of a mention. But I'll take any morsel when it coms to this man. But I digress again.

I loved this book and this new slew of warrior characters. Move over lords, there's new tortured and brooding warlords. And I'm not one to pick favorites here, but I'm saying I'm dying for the next book! If this one is anything to judge the series by, we're in for one heck of a ride and I'm already braced for it.

If you're looking for a steamy PNR with plenty of chemistry, banter, and all of the action with incredible characters that you won't be able to get enough of, READ THIS.

ARC courtesy of publisher in exchange for an honest review

Find me on:
Follow me on facebook Follow Me on Twitter blog
Profile Image for Kat valentine ( Katsbookcornerreads).
583 reviews761 followers
October 23, 2021
What a fucking ride!!!!! I knew when I saw this cover that we were in for another fantabulous book by the amazingly talented storyteller who is Gena Showalter!!!! This series promises to be another fabulous series and going by The Warlord its gonna be a hot and sexy adventure with new alpha males to salivate and fantasize over. Alaroc Phaethon was fucking magnificent !!! And the chemistry between Roc and Taliyah was epic with plenty of hot steamy scenes that had me on the edge waiting for the hot sex and going all the way! Taliyah wasn't the only one wet from this warriors tinkering and let me tell you,big boy definitely delivered, boy did he deliver!!! Were theirs harpies you know theirs gonna be trouble! I love these ladies so much with their strength and bad ass bitch attitude's and the other Astra warriors are a delicious bunch of new characters with different stories of their own. I love the storyline and the world building and I can't wait to read book two in this series The Immortal coming out in February of 2022 its Halo Phaninon and Ophelia's story! Which is awesome! Halo might be a great strategist but he's never went up against a harpy warrior before! He's about to find out just like his commander what these ladies are all about. Until next time Luv's💕💋
Profile Image for Kate V.
1,046 reviews79 followers
April 21, 2021
5 Stardust Stars!

Gena Showalter is one of those authors that just writes fantastic paranormal romance. Her Lords of the Underworld series is up there as one of my favorite series and that's where you meet the heroine of this story, Taliyah Skyhawk. To say I've been patiently waiting for her story would be a lie. I've been dying to get my hands on her book. I had high expectations for her and who her hero would be and Showalter did not disappoint.

description

Taliyah is a unique paranormal being with powerful parentage. She has been groomed from a young age to be a harpy general and by the time she runs into the hero Alaroc she needs one more star to be eligible for the title, as well as remain a virgin (or does she?). In true Showalter fashion that last star involves sacrificing something you love.

description

Alaroc Phaethon (Roc) is an Astra being and a warlord and his story is shrouded in sadness, anger, revenge and duty. Until he meets Taliyah.

description

Roc and his men have invaded Harpina and he chooses a bride to marry to sacrifice in 30 days to his God for reasons you'll have to read to find out. Many have come before Taliyah but when Roc weds her he realizes she is the one woman that can make him stray from his path and change EVERYTHING.

Roc wants his revenge and Taliyah wants to be a general but they soon find that maybe what they wanted wasn't what they needed. Can Taliyah and Roc change the fates? Can they be together and still accomplish their dreams?

So I'm rating this 5 stars because I loved everything about this book. Tal was strong, fierce, independent and so bloodthirsty. She also was hilarious...I found myself laughing out loud several times. She challenged Roc in the best of ways. Roc was such a broody and possessive alpha male. The way he fell for Tal was so satisfying. The story had the perfect amount of angst and I loved that we got so much relationship development between the two of them. I felt their passion even when they were at odds. Roc and Tal burned up the sheets and it was so refreshing to see such a unique exchange of power between them. I was fanning myself every time they were intimate (and they were intimate a lot). Their story was so delicious.

While their relationship took center stage, Showalter did not back down from developing a fantastic storyline that is sure to span several books. There were a lot of moving pieces and a lot of other key players. I am SO interested in the other character's stories.

Overall, if you loved her Lords books I highly suggest grabbing this one. It was amazing.
Profile Image for Firstpella.
775 reviews
May 1, 2021
I’ve really missed Kresley Cole.
The humor. The sex. The fighting. The making up. Lothaire is forever my measuring stick and elements of Warlord hit that peak. But ultimately Lothaire remains in a class still all by itself…probably in part because we have all the books before that display Lothaire’s total asshatness and his ultimate comeuppance thanks to Elizabeth that is just so satisfying - that level of delight simply cannot be achieved here since while Taya is a returning character, Roc is brand new. Lothaire tells Elizabeth to ‘Be my dear’…Roc asks Taya to ‘Be my precious’…the difference is subtle, but the difference is still why Lothaire is my #1 Big Dick.

Oh. Wait. This yummy tale is Showalter.
The humor. The sex. The fighting. The making up. The Lords of the Underworld.
Yeah, all that found here. And as with LotU, many more Warlords to come ( Series ).

But shit…I really miss Kresley Cole.
Profile Image for Maddy.
178 reviews52 followers
April 24, 2021
3 stars.
It’s me not the book per se...I guess those who have read other Gena Showalter books won’t find it an issue, but this was my first book by her and the “American teen” colloquialisms used by a thousand year old harpy was just grating. The story took place in a completely different world/realm where not only gods of Greek mythology roamed but other creatures, so why do we need references to Jason Momoa and the Amazing Races tv series? It’s jarring (I get Earth is a place they can visit) but really?

I liked Taliyah: she was a kick a$$, strong, harpy. Roc was pretty good as a warlord (thankfully he wasn’t spouting out teen slang) and was more in “character”.

They hated each other in the beginning, after all Roc and his army had invaded the Harpies realm and there’s a lot of push and pull but of course they are soul-mates (which you find out by Roc spurting stardust from his hands (how embarrassing 🤭😂) not sure if that’s very sexy no matter how much the author tried to make us think it.🤔

True love conquers all or in this case gushes (😳) of stardust. Sprinkle in a dilemma where the warlord needs to sacrifice his bride or his army brothers are cursed and it kept me reading.

Extra star was for the warlord kneeling scene. That was hot! 🥵
Profile Image for ❤️Emma Book Lover ❤️.
454 reviews256 followers
October 12, 2021
4 ⭐⭐⭐⭐

🖤Follow me on Instagram for more edits🖤

A new series by amazing Gena Showalter and I can't wait for more!
Happy General Taliyah Skyhawk and the leader of Astra Planeta Alaroc Phaethon aka Roc.

“Thirty days to wed a virgin
Thirty days to sacrifice her
Thirty nights to resist temptation...“

You can figure out how that worked out for him 😅😅

This two were explosive together.The banter hilarious , Roc is an amazing male character:brooding,alpha,possessive, fearless and hot af ( I really don't think the stupid stardust really fits his character but that's just my opinion😂). I can't say I loved Taya as much as him but I guess she was a right fit for Roc. At times I thought she was super patronising and bitchy with absolutely everyone around her.

I really hope the next books will follow the rest of Rocs team. Those guys are super intriguing for sure.
Definitely worth the read!
Profile Image for Pisces.
205 reviews14 followers
September 20, 2021
The first half was really interesting.
The second half was just boring with repetitive smut and predictable ending.
Profile Image for Kameron.
Author 8 books79 followers
April 27, 2021
Gena's past few LOTU books seemed to center more on sex than substance. I was hoping with this spin-off things would change. Sadly, they did not. After reading 1/2 the story, I couldn't take it anymore. Gena's writing seems more focused on sex and not on the building of a characters and their bond. I get people think sex sells, but I miss the old days when she put the same amount of effort into character development and watching two people grow together when they weren't succumbing to their desires.

Unfortunately, I won't be finishing this book or purchasing anymore. The price is too high and the quality, or lack there of, doesn't justify paying over 20 bucks for a hardcover anymore.

Profile Image for Lover of Romance.
2,694 reviews778 followers
January 12, 2023

This review may contain spoilers, so fair warning, upon reading the review.

Introduction
The Warlord is the first book in the 'Rise of the Warlords" series. And this book kicks off with spicy and thrilling action and a theme of forbidden love at times. This book was intense and action packed and it really pulls you into the story right away. Gena Showalter adds her own intense flair to the story and only Gena Showalter could really make this one work so well. She definitely adds the right balance to this kick ass romance that just impressed me so much and is definitely one of my favorite reads of the year. (I know we are only in the second week of the year, but this one just checked off all the boxes for me).

The Main Protagonists

-Kick Ass
-Virgin
-Sacrificed
-Sassy

Summary
Taliyah has been preparing to be the Harpy General all of her life and she also has become a fierce warrior for her people. Ever since she was sacrificed, she knew her duty and obligations and now she will need to marry the warlord, Alaroc Phaethon. Alaroc in order to receive what he needs for his people, will need to marry a virgin bride that will be sacrificed in thirty days. From the moment of their marriage, Taliyah and Alaroc have been at each other's throats while at the same time a fiery passion has been slowly building between them. As their desire ignites so does a fierce love, but who will win in the end of their never ending battle? Will love be lost or conquer in the end? 3

My Outlook
There is such a brilliance to the writing style of this one. I absolutely couldn't get enough of this one. Its also one of the best enemies to lovers romances I have ever read. It just worked so well for me, and I am SUPER picky about this trope but it just really worked. It was so interesting seeing these two come together. Gena Showalter really built their sexual tension so well. There is lots of great smexy times in this one, so fair warning if that isn't your cuppa tea. I really adored how she implemented the spice within their relationship. Its where we see other forms of intimacy begin to grow between Alaroc and Taliyah. There is also this great sense of forbidden for them to love each other especially when Taliyah is trying to kill her husband, and Alaroc having to sacrifice her in 30 days. The tension was brilliantly mastered, and the plot was well built with just the right touch of edgyness and a bit of playfulness to make it work. The world building was so well done and I was so drawn into this world that the author creates for her readers.

Overall View
I found the Warlord to be a wonderful read that captures your attention from the beginning, it builds into a tremendous crescendo of passion, zest and thrills to touch the reader deeply!

Rating Evaluation:
Heart & Feels: 5/5
Ending: 5/5
Overall View: 5/5

photo Addicted To Romance Reviews 2_zpsplp8m0tb.png
Profile Image for Annie .
2,426 reviews802 followers
April 29, 2021
4.5 stars!

Read this review on Fresh Fiction

THE WARLORD is the first book in Gena Showalter’s brand new Paranormal Romance series, Rise of the Warlords. If you’re a fan of her Lords of the Underworld series, then you may be familiar with this story’s heroine, Taliyah Skyhawk.

There is no doubt that I fell hard for Taliyah in this book. I love her fierce attitude and loyalty to her people. I love that she wanted to take responsibility for her actions and that she wasn’t afraid to do what was necessary of her. Her fun personality wasn’t too over the top and I thought that she paired really nicely with Roc.

In terms of the romance, it blooms slowly but fiercely. But there’s also a great focus on the worldbuilding and the harpies in this book obviously. I am definitely looking forward this new series. THE WARLORD completely surpassed my expectations and I cannot wait to see how the rest of the series unfolds. Gena Showalter really hit this one out of the park. Rise of the Warlords is definitely a series that you do not want to miss!
Profile Image for queerdo.
247 reviews
April 20, 2021
i was so looking forward to this book after having read the blurb! the premise seemed cool as hell. ALAS the writing is middling at best, the narrative style doesn’t match with the plot at all, the heroine is predictable and annoying as hell, et cetera et cetera. i’m pretty disappointed.
Profile Image for  Reading In Pajamas .
1,032 reviews106 followers
Want to read
July 28, 2020
I can’t wait!
From Gena Showalter’s FB post:
“ The release of The Darkest King marked a milestone for me. At long last all of the original Lords had books and babes. So. Where was I to go from there? I mean, there are still stories to tell. Harpies and Sent Ones and Hell Kings and more demon-possessed warriors, the horsemen—and what about new species? We wondered if they all fit under the Lords of the Underworld banner. Example: the butterflies won’t work on all upcoming couples. So. We decided to start with a new series name, as well as use a new type of title and new style of cover, while the books remain set within the Lords of the Underworld universe. So, without further ado, I give you the next couple and title for the Lords universe, as well as the new series name...

Taliyah Skyhawk and Alaroc Phaethon, leader of the Astra Planeta. The Blazing One himself.

Title: The Warlord

Series: Rise of the Warlords

He plans to wed his virgin bride—and sacrifice her to his god. A duty he has never hesitated to do. Until now.”

This is set in the LOTU world and can be read after William’s book (THE DARKEST KING).

✿LORDS OF THE UNDERWORLD SERIES BY GENA SHOWALTER✿
Amazon Series Link http://amzn.to/2yzQLQF
✦THE DARKEST FIRE (this is a bonus story and you don't have to read it to understand the series or the characters) ➢ Kindle http://amzn.to/2yElhGz
✦THE DARKEST NIGHT - Maddox (Violence) ➢ Kindle http://amzn.to/2iX58HF
✦THE DARKEST KISS - Lucien (Death) ➢ Kindle http://amzn.to/2gVyKSC
✦THE DARKEST PLEASURE - Reyes (Pain) ➢ Kindle http://amzn.to/2yzrlCC
✦THE DARKEST PRISON (Novella) - Atlas and Nike (another bonus story) ➢ Kindle http://amzn.to/2xccs5b
✦THE DARKEST WHISPER - Sabin (Doubt) ➢ Kindle http://amzn.to/2xW3MUY
✦THE DARKEST ANGEL - Lysander and Bianka ➢ Kindle http://amzn.to/2gXVBNz
✦INTO THE DARK - a compendium of The Darkest Fire and The Darkest Prison printed inside, plus the original The Darkest Facts ➢ Kindle http://amzn.to/2zseQFt
✦THE DARKEST PASSION - Aeron (Wrath) ➢ Kindle http://amzn.to/2yyIGLW
✦THE DARKEST LIE - Gideon (Lies) ➢ Kindle http://amzn.to/2xcwA7l
✦THE DARKEST SECRET - Amun (Secrets) ➢ Kindle http://amzn.to/2gWHcRr
✦THE DARKEST SURRENDER - Strider (Defeat) ➢ Kindle http://amzn.to/2gWhCw4
✦THE DARKEST SEDUCTION - Paris (Promiscuity) ➢ Kindle http://amzn.to/2gWstpW
✦THE DARKEST CRAVING - Kane (Disaster) ➢ Kindle http://amzn.to/2xcNl2a
✦THE DARKEST TOUCH - Torin (Disease) ➢ Review 5 Stars http://wp.me/p3d0RZ-1Fm | Kindle http://amzn.to/2zqzWnO
✦THE DARKEST TORMENT - Baden (Distrust) ➢ Review 5 Stars http://wp.me/p3d0RZ-759 | Kindle http://amzn.to/2lH2Mxp
✦THE DARKEST PROMISE - Cameo (Misery) ➢ Review 5 Stars http://wp.me/p3d0RZ-90y | Kindle http://amzn.to/2rymHCb
✦THE DARKEST WARRIOR - Puck & Gillian ➢ Review 5 Stars https://wp.me/p3d0RZ-aMP | Kindle http://amzn.to/2BQXRz8
✦THE DARKEST CAPTIVE (1001 Dark Nights Novella) - Galen & Legion ➢ Review 4.5 Stars https://wp.me/p3d0RZ-aXd | Kindle http://amzn.to/2CZOY5E
✦‪‪‪THE DARKEST ASSASSIN (1001 Dark Nights Novella) - Fox & Bjorn ➢ Review 4.5 Stars https://wp.me/p3d0RZ-bmm | Kindle $2.99 https://amzn.to/2CdKCuk
✦‪‪‪THE DARKEST KING - Willam ➢ Kindle https://amzn.to/2wavmuj

~*~*~*~
Profile Image for zaraa.
351 reviews
April 24, 2021
3.75/5

the last time i read a book by Gena Showalter was like years ago, and it was the Alice in Zombieland series which my teenage heart was so in love with. if you know Cole Holland, then you should know he was my major bad boy teenage crush.
however, over the years i have come across Showalter's other series, but never really had an interest to read them until now.

at first glance, The Warlord had so many of my favorite tropes especially enemies to lovers to soulmates + marriage of convenience + grumpy/sunshine and i just knew that i had to read this one. and, i'm glad because i really did like this book especially the characters Taliyah Skyhawk and and the major alpha, Alaroc Phaethon who are complete opposites, but yet a perfect match for each other. Taliyah is beyond sassy and has such an active personality that she kept the story so entertaining. and, since this series is a spin off of The Lords of Underworld which i haven't read, i thought i would be lost throughout this one. but, that was not the case because even though the characters are from the original series, the plot is different so it's been said that it can be read alone without the original series.
what i loved the most about this book was the banter between Taliyah and Alaroc who would just never stop arguing and as husband & wife, they were so annoying i loved it.

{case in point:}

“How could I forget the bane of my existence?” He straightened gradually. A long-sleeved shirt covered his arms and chest, hiding prime real estate. Leather pants hugged his thighs, and metal-tipped boots protected his feet.
“By bane of existence, do you mean fated mate?” He had his complaints, she had hers. “Or does the Black Widower refuse to acknowledge the woman he can’t live without?”

also
“What I am,” she said, “is your gravita.”
“You are a thirty-day irritation.”

and this 😭
“After a few minutes of silence, she groused, “I’m giving you such an amazing view, I should charge by the hour.”
“By that logic, I should charge by the inch,” he muttered, never glancing up.”

i mean how can you not love their wordplay??
however, the only thing that i couldn't really connect to was the actual plot because the entire plot of this book was that Taliyah, a virgin, had 30 days to kill Alaroc and save her people; if she fails at the end then, Alaroc will kill his virgin bride and sacrifice her to his gods so he can ascend. so while Taliyah and Alaroc tried to find ways to get the other out of the way, they lost each other at resistance. because turns out they were soulmates or gravitas so the more they tried to resist each other, the more they actually wanted each other and so somewhere along that, the plot was kind of lost and it became all about lust. i felt like that after every two pages, there was always another erotic scene and for me, it became too repetitive even though the book started off real strong.

overall, i did enjoy this book just because there was so much banter that it was entertaining and kept me engaged even though the plot itself kind of fell through. so if you like alpha + possessive males + sassy and clever heroines + erotic romance then you probably will like this because for a fantasy it's really a fast paced read.
Profile Image for Canan  ^^.
789 reviews46 followers
Read
May 12, 2021
Vayyy. Resmen bir ay sonra ilk okumam. Şükür okuyabildim 😂Ah Charley beni resmen mahvettin😝
Neyse harpi kızlarımızdan Taliyah ve daha önce karşımıza çıkmayan Astra Savaşçılarını okuyoruz. Adamlar zalimlikleri ile meşhur. Yok etmedikleri kişi, boyut yok. Ah bir de saçma gelenekleri vardı. Bir görev alıyorlar. Eğer başarırsalar beş yüz yıl boyunca kazanmaları garanti ama görev başarısız olursa beş yüz yıl lanetli olacaklar. Acı ve sefalet... Bu görevlerden birisi de gelin kurban etmek. Annem siz yükseleceksiniz diye niye milleti kurban ediyorsunuz ki 🙄 Türünün en vahşi ve güçlüsü tercih ediliyor. Konu Harpiyse hedef de Tüm Toprakların Terörü Taliyah tabiki...
Hikaye Taliyah ve gizemli babalarının kimliğini öğrenmesi ile başlıyor. Daha sonra günümüze geçip, Harpy diyarı Harpina'nın kuşatıldığı haberi geliyor. Çiftimiz böylece tanışmaya başlıyor.
Açıkçası ben çok beğenmedim hikayeyi. Karanlığın Lordlarını yada kardeşleri son anda kısa bir süre gördük. Hikaye de olay vardı elbette ama azıcık monotondu. Çiftin arası salt cinsel gerilim doluydu. Uzun uzun okuduk bunu. Yani alıştığım bir durum ama eksik bir şeyler vardı. Kendisini okuttu, diğer savaşçıları merak ettirdi ama çok bayılmadım. Devamını okurum kesinlikle bakalım.
Profile Image for Vashti.
1,061 reviews29 followers
May 4, 2021
Gene Showalter was one of my first introductions into the PNR genre..the LOtU series is a favorite of mine along with her Atlantis series and The Stone Prince, a particular favorite.
The Warlord is the start of her newest series and so far it looks to be a very good one
.A creator and destroyer of worlds,the hero Alaroc(Roc)has to wed a Virgin bride and she to remain a virgin and sacrifice her by the end of 30 days so he and his men can ascend and guarantee to win all the battles/war they fight for the next 500 hundred years or lose for the next 500 years and go into hibernation and start again.
.His nemesis is the phantom creator,the heroines sperm donor father.
Taliyah we met in previous LOtU books as the Harpy General,part phantom/harpy who keeps her heritage a secret.She is a no holds barred, take charge, kickass heroine and I loved her!
Gena delivered with this couple.
Admittedly, the book started off a bit slow for my taste ,but soon picked up and the adrenaline rush was on.
I enjoyed this couple..their interaction with each other,the verbiage and quips,and the Jason Momoa references( ?why he was mention..who knew as he is like the mascot for Rebecca Zannetti's Dark Protectors book) .
Least not forget the chemistry between this couple,it was hot...some of Gena's hottest scenes to date.
I am looking forward to the next book in this series with anticipation.
The 5 stars is for the couple,the story line that kept and held my interest as Covid did a number on my brain where my concentration easily wanders off far far away, to hold my interest and not put it down deserves the 5 stars for sure.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Nicky.
37 reviews4 followers
May 11, 2021
I think it's time for me to give up on Gena as the last 4 books, I have just skimmed, Including William's story. I'm bored, I don't know what has happened but she used to be funny, engaging and the plot kept me turning those pages. Now, the dialogue just goes round and round in circles with the couple trying to outsmart each other and little progression.

I didn't even get onto the sex in this story - dnf at 25%. I was most put off that Roc liked to finger Taliya in front of an audience to test her virginity and then he did it again at dinner time! Like.. Wtf? I like a simmering build up to that sort of thing. Maybe I'm getting too old? I mean I love a bit of finger action but it was rough and came out of nowhere. Of course, Taliya was wet and loved it.
Profile Image for Katie Utterly Unashamed.
598 reviews152 followers
July 20, 2021
This was so good!! RTC once I get some sleep!

Okay.... A clever review isn't coming to me...... So here is a whatcha get....

Amazing kicks snarky AF heroine ☑️
Over protective/possessive hero ☑️
Enemies to lovers ☑️
Smutastic ☑️
Amazing World Building ☑️
Stellar Audio ☑️

Seriously, this author is one of the best. Her writing is amazing. She pulls you from the start and you have no choice but to see what happens. She does not disappoint!

“Thirty days to wed a virgin
Thirty days to sacrifice her
Thirty nights to resist temptation..."

Instagram | My Blog | Facebook
Profile Image for Kierstyn.
488 reviews13 followers
July 12, 2022
Well, well, well. I fully expected to cast this aside as a mere pile of cheese; however, I was lured into the world of Harpies, star-dusted warriors, and the God of Chaos. What can I say? I like the “virgin sacrifice” trope when it is overturned by a fierce heroine, and while this book does contain its share of steamy scenes—the narrative doesn’t depend on Lord Throbbing Love Hammer to be the sole reason one enjoys the story. Plenty of sacrifice, redemption, and chaos between passionate interludes.

The best part is that I didn’t have to spend any time disentangling the vocabulary of the fantasy-world landscape. Hooray! In truth, I would have dialed down the unseemly steam-scenes just so I could broaden the audience for this AU. Alas, it is filed under “romance” for this very reason.

File Under: Prepare to be Kissed by a Phantom!
Profile Image for Julie - One Book More.
893 reviews154 followers
April 17, 2021
Taliyah is a Harpy who strives to become Harpy General, and one of the requirements is remaining a virgin. Roc is the commander of the Astra, and he needs to marry a virgin and sacrifice her after 30 days in order to ascend. Roc all but forces Taliyah to agree to become his bride, knowing the consequences of their union, but he never expects to develop feelings for her.

Taliyah is everything you expect in a badass Harpy. Fierce and fiery, she never backs down. The epitome of strength, she’s a great match for Roc. Rock is so hard and ruthless and vicious, and because of some of his actions at the beginning of the story, I wasn’t sure that I would like him. However, there’s more to Roc than his fearsome exterior, and, as the story progresses, you begin to understand some of his motivations. Of course, the way he feels about Taliyah and the way he treats her further in the story adds to his appeal. His pride and respect for Taliyah are fantastic!

I love how Taliyah and Roc challenge each other. They go head-to-head more times than I can count, and neither is willing to relent. They are both leaders and accept nothing but exactly what they want. They also work really well together, which surprised me, considering they are both natural alphas. Their constant battle of wills (and wits) makes for a ton of sexual tension and really spicy, explosive sex scenes.

Action, suspense, romance, betrayal, gods, Harpies, Phantoms, shapeshifter, and more, this book has it all. I was so intrigued by the different types of supernatural characters, their worlds, and their stories. There’s also a ton of action, suspense, and twists. Plus that romance!! I’m still fanning myself!

This is the first book in Showalter’s new series Rise of the Warlords, and it is a spin-off of her Lords of the Underworld series. Though you don’t need to read the Lords of the Underworld series to read this one, I think it would provide great context and deepen the reader’s understanding of this world and the characters. Several characters from the Lords of the Underworld series make an appearance in this story, which readers of LotU will also love. Thanks so much to NetGalley, Harlequin, and Gena Showalter for a copy of the book in exchange for my honest review.

Profile Image for Jenn (The Book Refuge).
1,565 reviews2,258 followers
November 30, 2021
This was an interesting read for my first GS. I really liked the dynamic between the characters and I really enjoyed the sexual tension and the games they played.

I was intrigued enough that I will read the next one when it comes out.

4/5 stars
Profile Image for Scholar inArmor.
111 reviews20 followers
January 6, 2022
AFTER READING:

This book opened the new Warlords saga of the Lords of the Underworld universe. I liked Taliyah as expected, Alaroc was fine I guess. The plot, on the other hand, was a little boring for me. It focused a lot on the family drama, but not good-mysterious drama like in Sherrilyn McQueen novels.

The Warlord mainly got on my nerves as a book because it completely changed the already established dynamic within the universe. I thought that the Kings of Hell are going to be new leads, with some Keepers and Angels hopping in. With Warlords, we have a completely new race/players stepping in and getting their books instead of some already known characters. Kresley Cole did something similar when she introduced Primordials.

I think this was an intelligent way to revive the series, but it just didn't work for me. After The Warlord, I will read The Darkest Destiny (Viola's book), and after that, I will stop reviewing books from this series. I joined the fandom with Torin's book in 2014 and I can't believe that almost 8 years have passed. Nevertheless, dear Gena Showalter thank you for this experience.

BEFORE RELEASE:

Taliyah Skyhawk! FINALLY!!!

Lords of the Underworld, Angels of the Dark & Rise of the Warlords series reading order:

- novella
+ Angels of the Dark book

Lords & Angels Arc:
- The Darkest Fire (LotU #0.5)
The Darkest Night (LotU #1)
The Darkest Kiss (LotU #2)
The Darkest Pleasure (LotU #3)
- The Darkest Prison (LotU #3.5)
The Darkest Whisper (LotU #4)
- The Darkest Angel (LotU #4.5)
The Darkest Passion (LotU #5)
The Darkest Lie (LotU #6)
The Darkest Secret (LotU #7)
The Darkest Surrender (LotU #8)
The Darkest Seduction (LotU #9)
+ Wicked Nights (AotD #1)
+ Beauty Awakened (AotD #2)
The Darkest Craving (LotU #10)
+ Burning Dawn (AotD #3)
The Darkest Touch (LotU #11)
The Darkest Torment (LotU #12)
The Darkest Promise (LotU #13)
The Darkest Warrior (LotU #14)
- The Darkest Captive (LotU #14.5)
- The Darkest Assassin (LotU #14.6, AotD #4)
The Darkest King (LotU #15)

Warlords Arc:
The Warlord (RotW #1, LotU #16)
Profile Image for book bruin.
1,053 reviews277 followers
May 13, 2021
Audiobook Review
Overall 3.5 stars
Performance 4 stars
Story 3 stars

The Warlord was an interesting and exciting fantasy romance. I haven't read Gena Showalter's previous books, but it's apparently a spin off of her Lords of the Underworld series. There were likely references and character cameos that I missed, but I feel that this book can be read on its own.

I really loved how fierce both Taliyah and Roc were. They were very evenly matched and the struggle between sacrificing their people or their love for each other was done really well. The big broody alpha male doesn't always work on me, but it definitely did here. I loved how Taliyah and Roc's relationship evolved from a mutual respect between enemies to so much more. Roc was such a big teddy bear with Taliyah and their chemistry was smoking hot.

This isn't my usual genre and I didn't fully understand the "rules" of this world and the powers associated with each species, but it didn't take away from my enjoyment of the book. The writing didn't always flow well and I was confused by the random pop culture references thrown into the story here and there (like Jason Mamoa, lava lamps, etc). I found the overall plot a bit confusing and the ending felt very rushed after so much build up. I'm still not entirely sure the resolution makes sense, but the romance aspect left my heart very happy.

Max Bellmore is a new to me narrator and I thought he did a great job. He was amazing as Roc (that growly voice *bites fist*), but his Taliyah/harpy voice wasn't my favorite. His comedic timing was spot on though and he delivered Taliyah's barbs so well. It was a pleasant listening experience overall and I look forward to finding out what happens next for these warlords, especially between Roux and Blythe.

*I voluntarily listened to a review copy of this book*
Profile Image for Mar, Queen of Darkness.
256 reviews46 followers
November 9, 2021
Unpopular opinion alert 😬 I could not get into this book! I don't know what's wrong with me! Maybe I'm an old lady, but I just couldn't get behind the romance when they're planning to murder each other the whole time... Nothing unexpected happened and I just didn't care about the characters. I gave up trying to finish after 2 months of trying lol

Honestly, it's probably just me, so don't take my opinion too seriously if you're considering this!
Profile Image for Leila.
380 reviews65 followers
June 8, 2021
2.25 OK? STARS

description

When a 1000 ++ YEAR OLD person continues to act as Juvenile as they were mere young-lings, stars are about be left out, and my irritation is spiking.

Honestly, the way the warlord is romancing his, kneeling at her feet and submitting to her is quite hot.

but everything else? Not my taste,I evens skipped the sexy times ! gee.. I guess this is just personal opinion.

Profile Image for ~♥*Marianna*♥~.
662 reviews46 followers
Shelved as 'might-read'
January 9, 2021
A new series? Exciting! But. Did this dude really marry and sacrifice women to his god in the past? That seems really ...not cute.
Profile Image for Jennifer Becker.
Author 12 books68 followers
April 19, 2021
such a great book. Gena knows how to spin a whirlwind tale and have the greatest humor. I loved it. I didn't want to put it down. there is something about those harpies.
Profile Image for What The Smut Book Reviews.
9 reviews3 followers
April 22, 2021
First of all, thank you to both NetGalley and HQN Books for this review copy. The following review is an honest review.

Woooooow. Lol! Once again, Gena Showalter has written an amazingly spellbinding story. Already being a super fan, I expected nothing less, but it still amazes me how Gena can craft an entire world from scratch and blend it into an cohesive and thrilling read. It's a feat in itself to write a contemporary novel, creating characters and situations that will keep the reader enthralled. It's another thing entirely to be able to write a paranormal romance novel where you've created, not only characters, but entire species, realms, and plots, that all come directly from your imagination. I will honestly never understand how she manages to do it.

The two main characters for this book are Roc and Taliyah. He's the commander of an intergalactic band of tight muscled warriors, stuck in a never ending battle with Erebus, a phantom creating plague on the universe. She's a harpy that's also part phantom (surprise!! Erebus is her Daddy) and part snake shifter. She's a tough as nails she warrior, in a bid to become the next General of the harpy army. Roc and his men have come to Harpina to find him a wife. Well...technically a bride, because he doesn't plan on keeping her alive long enough to enjoy the fruits of him marriage. You see, Roc, along with each of his warriors are stuck in a never ending loop, where they must each complete the same task over and over. If everyone does, they get a blessing from a God. If even one fails, the blessing goes to their nemesis. Roc's task...find, wed, and murder a virgin. Except...this particular virgin just happens to be his gravita (his fated mate). Will he do his duty, honor his men, and kill his new bride? Or will he forsake the God's blessing, kiss off his men's futures, and protect his fated woman??? You'll have to buy the book to find out. ;)

I'm rating this book 5 stars because Gena would never write anything less. This is the first book of a new series and I'm already drooling at the idea of some of the other warriors getting their own books. I need their stories! Which, in my opinion, is the mark of a good author. Thanks for everyone taking the time to read this review. At length, all I can say is...buy the book. You won't be disappointed. :)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 575 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.