Start by marking “For a Glory and a Covering: A Practical Theology of Marriage” as Want to Read:
For a Glory and a Covering: A Practical Theology of Marriage

For a Glory and a Covering: A Practical Theology of Marriage

"Lord, here am I. Change him." "God, I'm trying. She started it." Common claims but they're so far from Trinitarian life. We invoke Christ at the wedding then seem to default to an alien theology afterward. In this simple and practical book, Doug Wilson offers a richer and more comprehensive theology of marriage than in his prior works. Here he grounds marriage in the life ...more
Published August 28th 2009 by Canon Press (first published November 27th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about For a Glory and a Covering, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about For a Glory and a Covering

Start your review of For a Glory and a Covering: A Practical Theology of Marriage
Matthew Huff
Apr 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic. Very engaging and insightful on a wide array of marital concerns. Filled with Scripture, Wilson's approach is nearest the godly way of things I've yet to encounter.
Kofi Opoku
Dec 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good book showing how all of scripture speaks to all of marriage.
Sean Higgins
Mar 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: marriage
Typical Wilson read, whereby I mean it was thoroughly thought-provoking and helpfully motivating, even if I didn't agree with every sentence.

I really appreciated his exposure of a few false dichotomies. My favorite (and the most ) was:

Obedience and disobedience on the part of a husband does not make him a head or not a head. He is a head regardless, but he can be an obedient head or disobedient head. He can be a head who tells the truth about Christ in his sacrificial love, or he can be a head
Corina Treece
Dec 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: marriage

Excellent book! After reading the chapter on "Widows", I realized there are even more reasons to continue on in faithfulness as a wife and mother.
Rachel Schultz
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lots of good thoughts. My favorite chapter was "Exchanged Authority"
Ryan
Dec 01, 2012 rated it liked it
I've read a lot of Wilson's writing on marriage. In this book he aims for a "practical" theology of marriage, which implies to some degree that his earlier works weren't practical. Ironically, I found some of the "deeper" theological parts of this book the most helpful. The first Part of the book is about marriage and the nature of God, and I found Wilson's discussion of trinitarian marriage stimulating---marriage involves oneness, otherness, honor, respect, submission, and authority, all of whi ...more
John
Oct 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
This is another outstanding book on marriage and practical living by Wilson. His exposition and application of Scripture to life situations is full of wisdom, grace, charity, and rigor. He keeps all his assertions grounded in Scripture and applies it to practical situations.

Feminists and egalitarians of all stripes will be mortally offended, as they should be. God is neither a feminist nor an egalitarian and His Word unreservedly destroys their worldview and asserts the law of God against all ri
Mystie Winckler
Jan 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
Own. Best nugget: Husband is the head, and the wife is his crown.
Michael
May 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology
Read with wife. Some really great stuff in it!
Emily Dixon
May 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: family-theology
Wilson, though brash at times (which, in fact, I have grown to love about his writing) is ALWAYS firmly planted in biblical truth. He does not shy away from what the Bible ACTUALLY SAYS. I cannot say the same for many theologians today.

Bravo.
Thiago McHertt
Along with Reforming Marriage, this is a superb book on the married life.
Wilson is thought-provoking and very practical. It's a good book for those in need of marriage help and for those who want to help others.
James Lynch
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great book by Wilson. In classic Wilson style he pulls no punches and is unafraid of speaking the truth even on controversial issues.
Kelsey Kramer
Feb 07, 2019 rated it liked it
I think this is a collection of sermon notes formed into a book. Definitely worth reading, but some parts were dry, and other parts had amazing marriage advice.
Aurora Grace
Mar 08, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dominionism
More patriarchalist attacks on equality and justice.
Coram Deo Church
For a Glory and a Covering is not currently available at local libraries.
Kent
Feb 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: pastors, couples
Shelves: marriage-family
Douglas Wilson seems to come at every topic from a different angle that makes reading him intriguing, entertaining, and helpful.

This book has fresh applications of traditional marriage Scriptures, and it deals with other texts that I've never heard discussed before in relation to marriage (much less applied), texts like Ex 21:10-11; Titus 2:3-5; Mal 2:15; Prov 9:1-6. I've heard 1 Cor 11:2-16 debated a few times, but used to lay out practical guidelines for marriage? Wilson does it.

The chapters a
Amber
Jun 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
God’s intention for marriage was for it to be a reflection of the relationship between Christ and the church. However, how many Christian marriages are true reflections? In this book, Douglas Wilson delves into the intricacies of the marriage union as set forth in the word of God. Subjects such as headship, submission and forgiveness are explained with sound doctrine, not merely opinion. Wilson states:

The chief end of marriage is the same as the chief end of man-to glorify God and enjoy Him fore
Becky Pliego
Apr 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A favorite book on marriage.

Some favorite quotes:

"The one thing that discontented people cannot do is give thanks, and therefore they cannot have the wisdom that contentment brings."

"From a thankful heart, all things may be received, including the great gifts of discipline and standards (1Tim 4:4-5). But without gratitude pervading everything, strict views on marriage will simply create an earthly hell for yourself and others."

"A godly marriage occurs when a man and a woman both die to themselve
Wesley Sims
Mar 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
One of the most helpful and insightful aspects of the book is Wilson's writing about man being the glory of God, and woman the glory of man. I find that this helps transform my understanding of my bride-to-be to one that seeks to guard, serve, and protect her BECAUSE she is my glory. It's a guarding, serving, and protecting in the ways of a physical and spiritual nature, and not just a physical protection from break-ins at night by robbers, but protecting her honor as a daughter of the Father, p ...more
Clay
Mar 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
Much of this is rehashed from the book reforming marriage, nevertheless it has many good reminders. There is a bit more delving into the theology of marriage (trinitarian unity)which was interesting and very profitable to reflect upon.

This book could have used a little better editing; there were probably 10+ typos that were, at times, distracting.
Jeffamandarobertson
Jan 01, 2013 rated it liked it
It seemed like cracking a clever joke was a bit more important than making clear cases for his points. This was my least favorite DW book so far, but with that being said, it was terribly funny as well as helpful in many places. The first part of the book was undoubtedly the strongest. Wilson's effort in grounding marriage in the trinity was thought provoking and enlightening.
Mike
Jun 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Another great book on marriage. I know I'm a Wilson fan, but I say, "Why change when its worked so well for so long?" Because Doug sees things from a completely different vantage point, the Bible, everything he writes has a very different feel. Its almost like reading the Bible itself. Okay, so that's over stated. But if you want to read a short but really good book on marriage, read this one.
Rachel
Oct 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is more than your typical, frothy, off-the-shelf marriage "how to" book. Blending both rich theology (like trinitarian living/the one and the many) with easy to read practical truths, Mr. Wilson masterfully weaves a rich and challenging book on marriage. Probably the best treatments of headship and submission I've read so far.
Gary
Dec 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: domestic-harmony
If we thought Wilson had already given us all his wisdom on such subjects this books corrects our mistake. here is wisdom from a man who has continued to read, continued to think and continued to love.

Loved it.
John
Jan 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great topical overview from Doug. Lots of topics covered such that any married person—or any intending to be—can gain plenty of scriptural insight into this gloriously mysterious and often difficult journey of marriage.
James
Jan 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
By far one of the best books with regard to marriage as well as Christian life.
Steve
Jan 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-of-2008
Good
Michael
Jan 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology, family
The best kind of challenging.
Caleb Ripple
Aug 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
It is absolutely amazing so far! Me and my wife are reading it together
Christopher
Oct 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Not, I think, his best entry in this "genre" (haphazard overall structure), but there's lots of great stuff in here.

Also read Fall 2012.

• Eve in Exile and the Restoration of Femininity
  • You Who? Why You Matter and How to Deal With It
  • The Fruit of Her Hands: Respect and the Christian Woman
  • Christian Modesty and the Public Undressing of America
  • The Last Battle (Chronicles of Narnia, #7)
  • Learning Contentment
  • Popes and Feminists: How the Reformation Frees Women from Feminism
  • Humble Roots: How Humility Grounds and Nourishes Your Soul
  • Loving the Little Years: Motherhood in the Trenches
  • Shepherding a Child's Heart
  • Fit to Burst: Abundance, Mayhem, and the Joys of Motherhood
  • Reading Between the Lines
  • Diapers, Dishes & Dominion: How Christian Housewives Can Change the World
  • Whatever Happened to Penny Candy?
  • The Devil's Arithmetic
  • Tactics: A Game Plan for Discussing Your Christian Convictions
  • I Will Carry You: The Sacred Dance of Grief and Joy
  • Real Food for Pregnancy: The Science and Wisdom of Optimal Prenatal Nutrition
I write in order to make the little voices in my head go away. Thus far it hasn't worked.

News & Interviews

“Christian equality can be described as equity, or even-handedness. Egalitarianism, in contrast, demands sameness, or equality of outcome. These two visions of equality are about as comparable as dry and wet. Think of it in terms of ten teenage boys trying to dunk a basketball: equity means that they all face the same ten-foot standard, and only two them them can do it — equity thus usually means differences in outcome. Egalitarianism wants equality of outcome, and there is only one way to get that — lower the net. Sameness of outcome requires differences in the standards.” 1 likes