Start by marking “Entering Space: Creating a Spacefaring Civilization” as Want to Read:
Entering Space: Creating a Spacefaring Civilization

Entering Space: Creating a Spacefaring Civilization

"Robert Zubrin is a true engineering genius like the heroic engineers of the past."
--Frederick Turner, American EnterpriseUsing nuts-and-bolts engineering and a unique grasp of human history, Robert Zubrin takes us to the not-very-distant future, when our global society will branch out into the universe. From the current-day prospect of lunar bases and Mars settlements to
Published August 7th 2000 by Jeremy P. Tarcher (Penguin Group) (first published 1999)

Ed [Redacted]
Feb 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
I saw an interview where Alan Moore called Zubrin basically some kind of nut, probably because Newt Gingritch said something nice about him. I thought to myself, " self, if Alan Moore thinks this guy is nuts, you have got to get this book." after reading the book, I have to say Zubrin is not at all crazy, he was disappointingly sane in fact. He is certainly a glass half full guy, a bit pollyanna-ish, but sane just the same. His theories are very well thought out but thourougly optimistic. I just ...more
Chris
Apr 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Devan
Shelves: favorites
This is the future of human civilization; and it is astounding.

Zubrin blew my mind a number of times, and in later chapters it appears that Zubrin is blowing his own mind, based on the prevalence of conclusions he makes accentuated with exclamation marks in ellipses (!!!). All of which are warranted, as Zubrin is clearly the most visionary, optimistic, and forward thinking aeronautical engineer around. Having read his previous book 'The Case For Mars', I was expecting optimism and brilliance, an
Bill He
Sep 08, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: non-fic
Extremely informative and very inspirational.

After I read it I was like if I had a choice to make the world better, it would be along the lines of what was proposed in the book. Forward the human civilization into space.
Pete
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Entering Space: Creating a Spacefaring Civilization (2000) by Robert Zubrin is a remarkable book the gives a remarkable view of how humanity can actually go into space. Both in the solar system and outside it.

Robert Zubrin has a masters in Aeronautics and a PhD in nuclear engineering and has worked as an aeronautical engineer so he has the ideal training to speculate seriously about what is possible in space flight in the next few decades and beyond. He has proposed numerous plausible propulsion
Parnell
Apr 24, 2014 rated it liked it
The book is inspiring in its idea coverage, particularly in the days of SpaceX and advanced computing technology. You can tell he had quite a bit more fun writing the latter half of the book than the first half which I believe he probably covered in-depth in his previous book he wouldn't stop mentioning.

Three stars because there was great idea coverage and fairly good logic (though with a lot of unexplained assumptions); but, I did not like his writing style at all. He ranted a lot about how pol
Ben Joffe
Jun 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good book on what a spacefaring civilisation might look like, and a potential realistic pathway to achieving it.

Resource gathering throughout the solar system could have been more in depth, about the size of economies required to sustain them.

Discussion of potential aliens in the galaxy was informative but a little narrow minded / opinionated:
- drake equation discussion concluded there must be many aliens in our galaxy, discounted the possibility of it being rare (<1 civilisation per galaxy)
Aaron
Jan 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: engineering
Inspired me to my mechanical/aerospace major, Zubrin sets a game plan for the development of humanity through each stage of "energy" existence- from planetary, to solar, to galactic- without relying on magical warp drives, but rather conventional high school physics and chemistry that we can all understand.

It explains how things should work without being like those bothersome, "Science of StarTrek/HarryPotter/XMen" books.
Bob
Nov 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I have never read a science or engineering book of such sweeping vision. Not only does it give insight about the next steps for the culture and technology of this planet, but it is an intelligent discussion of what's going on in the rest of the galaxy and the universe. This is better than The Starflight Handbook or Prospects for Interstellar Travel. Highly, highly recommended
Matt Ely
Apr 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science
Essential reading for anyone who wants to see the ideological necessity and practical feasibility of space colonization. An exciting and compelling narrative on the immediacy with which we can embrace the human destiny of interstellar travel.
Bob
Jul 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Zubrin offers his take on the various reasons for going into space, and shows that many of the often-cited ones are economically unfeasible. If you are interested in space, check this book out for sure.
John Barazzuol
Sep 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Really excellent compilation of ideas for making us a space faring species. Not for people who like sports or Kim Kardasian. I thought it was super awesome and will refer back to it in the future(pun intented)
Nathan
Nov 29, 2008 rated it liked it
Zubrin made the case for Mars. This is his ultimate manifesto for mankind conquering space. He manages to slay a number of dragons in this work and points out a number of potential "goldmine" industries that could emerge as humanity enters space.
Tracy Black
Dec 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who loves space
This is one of the best books I've read in a long time. It's a little dated in parts (published 2000), but still a gem. Zubrin's writing is both insprirational and informative. He argued a better case for the space program than any author I've ever read.
Lochie Ferrier
Zubrin as always is great. Fantastic summary of what low cost LEO launch enables.
Elsie
Jun 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely fantastic!! I would recommend this to all Sci-fi readers!
Jake
Jul 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. He discusses seemingly doable and necessary plans for us to become a space-faring civilization. Really fascinating.

Adam Weber
Dec 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Inspirational history of human expedition.
Charles Bell
Apr 24, 2010 rated it liked it
Pretty technical
Patrick Ritchie
Nov 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
An inspiring, relatively technical read. Highly recommended.
Priscilla Thomas
Feb 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Could read this over and over - always something more to absorb
Robert Madsen
Aug 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was a great book filled with good science and facts relating to expanding humanity into space.
Wallace
Jun 03, 2016
Bryan Harden
Oct 01, 2011

• Mining the Sky: Untold Riches From The Asteroids, Comets, And Planets
  • The High Frontier: Human Colonies in Space (Apogee Books Space)
  • Into That Silent Sea: Trailblazers of the Space Era, 1961-1965
  • Aliens and Alien Societies
  • This New Ocean: The Story of the First Space Age
  • The Best American Science and Nature Writing 2010
  • Dragonfly: NASA and the Crisis Aboard Mir
  • Fundamentals of Astrodynamics
  • Roving Mars: Spirit, Opportunity, and the Exploration of the Red Planet
  • Resource Wars: The New Landscape of Global Conflict
  • 97 Things Every Project Manager Should Know: Collective Wisdom from the Experts
  • Writing Science Fiction & Fantasy
  • The Problem of the Media: U.S. Communication Politics in the Twenty-First Century
  • Overshoot: The Ecological Basis of Revolutionary Change
  • Korolev: How One Man Masterminded the Soviet Drive to Beat America to the Moon
  • FAB: The Coming Revolution on Your Desktop–from Personal Computers to Personal Fabrication
  • What If the Earth Had Two Moons?: And Nine Other Thought-Provoking Speculations on the Solar System
  • The Deming Management Method