Start by marking “Animal Farm and 1984” as Want to Read:
Animal Farm and 1984

Animal Farm and 1984

4.29  ·  Rating details ·  172,725 ratings  ·  2,193 reviews
This edition features George Orwell’s best-known novels—1984 and Animal Farm—with an introduction by Christopher Hitchens.

In 1984, London is a grim city where Big Brother is always watching you and the Thought Police can practically read your mind. Winston Smith joins a secret revolutionary organisation called The Brotherhood, dedicated to the destruction of the Party. Tog
Published June 1st 2003 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (first published 1958)

To ask other readers questions about Animal Farm and 1984, please sign up.
Alexander Wilson I read 1984 in high school. I don't think it is appropriate. I am reading it now. I am in my 50's. I don't know how anyone that age could understand e…moreI read 1984 in high school. I don't think it is appropriate. I am reading it now. I am in my 50's. I don't know how anyone that age could understand extramarital affairs, Marxist dogma, torture. world war and political dishonesty. I didn't understand it in high school and reading it now, I wonder why I was asked to take it on at that age. I think they might be able to handle Animal Farm, with some adult guidance. Its a much easier read, although the death of Boxer the work horse would be upsetting to a 12 year old IMHO.
(less)
Sophia Living in a republic has absolutely nothing to do with understanding the Bible. These books are nowhere near being as complex as scripture.

That said,…more

That said, I like Goosebumps and really enjoyed the first 3 Harry Potter books. (I feel JK Rowling lost control of the story after that.) The books are more political fiction set in a dystopian future like the Mockingjay series than they are fantasy. If you like dystopian fiction, you would probably enjoy them.(less)

·  172,725 ratings  ·  2,193 reviews

Start your review of Animal Farm and 1984
Dylan McIntosh
Mar 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
I read Animal Farm once a decade. It is a quick read that constantly reminds me that I need to keep the blinders off and not take everything for granted.

I have a strange desire for bacon for some reason.
Janete
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Two of my favorites books of all the time.
Chad Warner
May 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
These are Orwell's most famous books. Both are dystopian tales of the dangers of a totalitarian government.

Similarities between the books:
The government knows best.
The intelligentsia seize power.
The naive proletariat are oppressed and kept ignorant.
The government bends or breaks its own rules for its benefit.
The government uses propaganda to keep the proletariat in check.
The government rewrites history to prove that it's correct and that life is better with the government than it was before the
Patrick Peterson
2020-09-22 (This review is of 1984 only, at least for now.)
"the three slogans of the Party stood out in bold capitals:
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH."

This is the defining import of this book to me. The slogans were not only repeated many times in the book, but their importance and what they represented was carefully explained many times and ways. Orwell's masterpiece did a fantastic job of explaining how total corruption of the language (words were supposed to mean the ex
Mariel
Oct 18, 2011 added it
Recommends it for: m.d.
Recommended to Mariel by: witches saw the future
Celebrity Death Match tournament versus Macbeth.
In a galaxy that's this one and today only most people don't realize it because it scrolls on the screen in teeny tiny neon green letters with a sterile surgical instrumental backdrop. Or CNN. Once upon a time that's today. There was a MAN and a Big Brother and they were one and the same. What about the sisters?
"You could be big brother, you know. People always ask who the MAN is supposed to be. You're a man, aren't you? Although it has been some t
Ankit Garg
Aug 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4.5 rounded to 5 stars.

For individual reviews, follow the links below:
Animal Farm
1984
Markus Molina
Jun 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love 1984, I love Animal Farm, and I love George Orwell. There is so much wisdom and depth to these two stories and there is so much that has been written or said about them, it would be a struggle to review them without subconsciously regurgitating all the good things I've heard. I just feel like both of these stories, and especially 1984 should be read by everyone. I believe it helps you appreciate what you got and to question everything you hear. I believe they are some of the most thought ...more
M.M. Strawberry Library & Reviews
Two classic books in one! I read both of these stories years ago and loved them.
Ali
Dec 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Re-read.
brilliant. a must-read.
Dana Turk
It is difficult to rate a novel which is incomplete. This version if Animal Farm and 1984 does not contain the full versions of either book. Animal Farm has only the first 10 chapters and ends abruptly on page 86. 1984 has only the first 3 sections and repeats itself.
This is more a sampling of Orwells Classics rather than a complete read.
If you want to read the full novel. Don't purchase this one
Kara Belden
Apr 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Two of my favorite books! Meant to re-read 1984 with the student book club, but it got away from me. 1984 was one of my favorite required high school reads my senior year, and I LOVE to teach Animal Farm!
Text Publishing
‘There are no replacements for George Orwell, just as there are no replacements for a Bernard Shaw or a Mark Twain…he pricked, provoked and badgered lazy minds, delighted those who enjoyed watching an original intelligence at work.’
Time
Leonard
Sep 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
“All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others.”

Joseph Stalin
Joseph Stalin

In Animal Farm George Orwell reenacted the Russian Revolution and its aftermath, Major, Napoleon, Snowball, Jones, and Frederick incarnating Lenin, Stalin, Trotsky, Tsar Nicolas II and Hitler. But through the fable, Orwell critiques not only communism but also any corruption of power, leaders highlighting real or imagined threats to instill fear in followers and solidify power.

Leon Trotsky
Leon Trotsky

As often repeated throu
Corey
Aug 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Re-read this gem last night. It never gets old. Truly another beautifully written classic
Farnoosh Brock
Feb 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics
You Must Read Animal Farm. That's the brief version of my review.

Eric Arthur Blair, or George Orwell as the world knows him, is a genius at describing fear, terror, doubt, uncertainty, mischief, evil, and hopelessness. The writing is beyond exquisite, even if the topic is morose. Such a loss to the world that Mr. Orwell died when he was just 46 years old. The unwritten works that he never wrote, the works that would have enriched our world and weren't meant to be. In Animal Farm, much like 1984,
Suad Alhalwachi
Jun 17, 2019 rated it liked it
If you read this book as a straight fiction then it’s a novel for children and I am sure they will enjoy it and of course they will start to hate the pigs (maybe that’s why we don’t see many cartoons or stories with pigs for children except Peppa pig which my grandkids love so much).

However if it’s a political story that represents a party that overthrows a government and takes over the country giving promises to the people and then in years to come changes those promises, then the writer had s
Nameeta
May 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is always difficult to review a book so widely read and appreciated. Especially one which is still relevant since the time it was written. I do not know anything about the Russian Revolution which this book is supposed to be based on nor am I well versed with the aristocratic/ political regimes of the world.

The title is so misleading, could have fooled me into thinking that this was a book about a farm where animals can talk and live together harmoniously... sort of like something Enid Blyton
Behrokh
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Bruce Hatton
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It must be at least 20 years since I last read these two dystopian classics. Although, I'm certain my opinion of them wouldn't have diminished one iota if I were to read them today. In fact, I'm sure they would, even now, contain much relevance to the current political scene.
The ending of Animal Farm is particularly prescient: the abandoned and betrayed animals looking in through the windows of the farmhouse and being unable to tell the pigs from the humans. This from a novel written 10 years be
Amber
Feb 19, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Who controls the past controls the future. ...
Maria Lasprilla
Jul 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Aninal Farm was entertaining until I kept on finding the similarities with Venezuela. It was like the history of the last 15-20 years of the country told in the form of a fable and written decades earlier.

1984: this was worse than watching a horror movie (which I hate) because while in a movie I'm always aware it's fiction, the book kept on confusing me making me feel I was actually going through a factual piece. Only specific elements got me out of it. The biggest impressions happened while re
Jongalt
Feb 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
Its quite unique how he portrays his characters as animals. And its often hilarious. But once again...hes a socialist...this is what he wants...why does he trash it here but fight for it in real life? But I have to thank him just like I did for 1984 for making a great book explaining the pitfalls of socialism.

Overall:
Storyline is funny yet serious.
You hate pigs more after your done.
You realize that George Orwell is a hypocrite.
Read it and feel great we aren't to this point...yet.
Jazzy Lemon
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Orwellian has been introduced into the English language for good reason.
Ahmad Qassab Bashi
Nov 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-kindle
I liked the Animal Farm more than 1984- As for the 1984 nothing strange for me. I'm from Syria and I know that what he said is what we lived in the 80s and 90s but the prisons are much much worse.
The Animal Farm 4 stars
1984- 3
Melody
Jun 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
I have finally read 1984. It just took me a few years to pick it up. My rating is leaning more toward 3.5 more than 3.

I enjoyed the book. I really don't know how to express my feelings about it yet. But I did enjoyed it.
Wendy Jones
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I never saw that ending coming!
Ribhav Pande
Aug 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
No books hit as hard. Not even Metamorphosis by Kafka. The allegorical imagery can require interpretation, but it hits hard even without it. When I read Metamorphosis, the emotion was "despair". Orwell isn't about despair. It's plainly about the death of hope. And nothing hits harder than that.

Animal Farm
Animal Farm and 1984 are contrasted in the foreward to edition, and it's rightly pointed out that Animal Farm was written with more time at hand, but 1984 had to be completed before the end
Myles
Jun 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Animal Farm was an interesting book, not what I was expecting out of traditional literature read. The main point of the book is that the animals want freedom and equality as humans have and in order to do that they have to overthrow the farm. Throughout the book, the animals, and the three pigs fight for power within the farm. In the end, the rest of the animals are watching Napoleon, Snowball, and Major sit, eat and drink alcohol at a table of humans. Although the animals were mad that the pigs ...more
Rita Arens
Jan 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Reread 1984 now that it doesn’t seem quite as bad with the doublespeak. Paid particular attention to the way we retain three classes bit. In 2021, we still have quite a bit of work to do on that.
Shaun
Jan 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This collection contains two of Orwell's greatest works that most certainly complement each other and are thus worth reading together. Yet because I wrote a separate review for Animal Farm, I will stick to 1984 in this review.

Not only can Orwell write with the best of them, but his philosophical and intellectual insights are notable. A story about one man's ultimately futile resistance against a powerful and totalitarian regime, 1984 illustrates how absolute power corrupts absolutely.

I think wh

• 1984
  • Brave New World / Brave New World Revisited
  • Stanley Kubrick's Clockwork Orange
  • Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird
  • 1984: George Orwell (SparkNotes Literature Guide)
  • William Golding, Lord of the flies Penguin Study Notes
  • The Silent Trust: Life Story of Dr. Sandor Mihaly
  • Kaleidoscope View of a Mad Mad World
  • Encyclopaedia of Hell: An Invasion Manual For Demons Concerning the Planet Earth and the Human Race Which Infests It
  • Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Other Stories
  • Brave New World
  • Adventure Time: The Enchiridion & Marcy’s Super Secret Scrapbook!!!
  • Of Mice and Men
  • The Iliad/The Odyssey
  • The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
  • The Metamorphosis, In the Penal Colony, and Other Stories: The Great Short Works of Franz Kafka
  • The Adventure Time Encyclopaedia: Inhabitants, Lore, Spells, and Ancient Crypt Warnings of the Land of Ooo Circa 19.56 B.G.E. - 501 A.G.E.
  • The Time Machine/The War of the Worlds
See top shelves…
Eric Arthur Blair, better known by his pen name George Orwell, was an English author and journalist. His work is marked by keen intelligence and wit, a profound awareness of social injustice, an intense opposition to totalitarianism, a passion for clarity in language, and a belief in democratic socialism.

In addition to his literary career Orwell served as a police officer with the Indian Imperial