Start by marking “Animal Farm / 1984” as Want to Read:
Animal Farm / 1984

Animal Farm / 1984

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  139,333 Ratings  ·  1,559 Reviews
This edition features George Orwell's best known novels – 1984 and Animal Farm – with an introduction by Christopher Hitchens.

In 1984, London is a grim city where Big Brother is always watching you and the Thought Police can practically read your mind.  Winston Smith joins a secret revolutionary organization called The Brotherhood, dedicated to the destruction of the Part
Published June 1st 2003 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (first published 1950)

To ask other readers questions about Animal Farm / 1984, please sign up.
Lindsay This edition has two Orwell novels in the same book: "Animal Farm" and "1984." There's no connection between the two novels beyond the fact that…moreThis edition has two Orwell novels in the same book: "Animal Farm" and "1984." There's no connection between the two novels beyond the fact that Orwell wrote both of them.(less)
Hồ Vinh Hi, I myself would not recommend since I may not grasp the concept of main-theme philosophy at that age (I'm 25 currently) and the solely surface…moreHi, I myself would not recommend since I may not grasp the concept of main-theme philosophy at that age (I'm 25 currently) and the solely surface story is not interesting/fully appreciated without understanding of the context. A good start is Animal Farm, then you can discuss with he/she and raise questions, which could then be used as motivation to read 1984. By this way, I believe it is easier to understand as well as enjoy the book.(less)

Maria Stancheva
Jan 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
За "1984"
Отдавна не съм давала 5 звезди на чисто художествена литература, но книгата е прекрасна.
Започнах я с доза скептицизъм, тъй като очаквах да не ми хареса, точно защото е хвалена отвсякъде, а аз съм се научила да имам едно наум за такива книги.
Каква беше моята изненада, когато установих, че книгата е умна,с кратки изречения,носещи максимален ефект и гениален подбор на думи. Думите, те правят красотата на тази книга. Авторът ги използва като инструменти, като една дума на едно място може
Chad Warner
May 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
These are Orwell's most famous books. Both are dystopian tales of the dangers of a totalitarian government.

Similarities between the books:
The government knows best.
The intelligentsia seize power.
The naive proletariat are oppressed and kept ignorant.
The government bends or breaks its own rules for its benefit.
The government uses propaganda to keep the proletariat in check.
The government rewrites history to prove that it's correct and that life is better with the government than it was before the
Mariel
Oct 18, 2011 added it
Recommends it for: m.d.
Recommended to Mariel by: witches saw the future
Celebrity Death Match tournament versus Macbeth.
In a galaxy that's this one and today only most people don't realize it because it scrolls on the screen in teeny tiny neon green letters with a sterile surgical instrumental backdrop. Or CNN. Once upon a time that's today. There was a MAN and a Big Brother and they were one and the same. What about the sisters?
"You could be big brother, you know. People always ask who the MAN is supposed to be. You're a man, aren't you? Although it has been some t
Taymara Jagmohan
Sep 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I have finished only Animal Farm, and this book is most certainly a single chapter of good, gracious continental life. It's wonderful. I did read this paragon when I was 13, and now I have grown, but this book remained my personified retinue. It's beautiful.

Animal Farm is based on the tropics of hard-working animals, governed by the tyranny stimulated by (Napolean and Snowball) -
I cannot give an explanation or a review for this book, because it is too graceful. It makes you feel the need to eat
Dylan McIntosh
Mar 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
I read Animal Farm once a decade. It is a quick read that constantly reminds me that I need to keep the blinders off and not take everything for granted.

I have a strange desire for bacon for some reason.
kian
Sep 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
باكسر از حرف ت جلوتر نرفت. با سم بزرگش روي خاك الف ب پ ت را رسم ميكرد و بعد با گوش خوابيده به حروف خيره ميشد،گاهي كاكلش را تكان ميداد و با تمام نيرو سعي ميكرد حروف بعدي را به خاطر آورد ولي توفيق نمييافت.چند بار ج چ ح خ را هم ياد گرفت ولي هربار كه آنها را بهياد داشت متوجه ميشد كه الف و ب و پ و ت را فراموش كرده است.بالاخره مصمم شد كه به همان چهار حرف اول قناعت كند..... ساير حيوانات مزرعه از حرف الف جلوتر نرفتند و همچنين كاشف به عمل آمد كه حيوانات كودن،مانند گوسفندان،مرغان و اردكها قادر به از بر كر ...more
JuliaL_E1
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
1984 and Animal Farm by George Orwell are dystopian novels that depict the horrors of a totalitarian state. Animal Farm, unlike 1984, represented an Orwellian state in more abstract terms than 1984. It showed all the animals on a farm under the rule of a single pig. 1984 shows a man who was at odds with the utter conformity of the totalitarian society that he was part of.
Markus Molina
Jun 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love 1984, I love Animal Farm, and I love George Orwell. There is so much wisdom and depth to these two stories and there is so much that has been written or said about them, it would be a struggle to review them without subconsciously regurgitating all the good things I've heard. I just feel like both of these stories, and especially 1984 should be read by everyone. I believe it helps you appreciate what you got and to question everything you hear. I believe they are some of the most thought ...more
Dana Turk
It is difficult to rate a novel which is incomplete. This version if Animal Farm and 1984 does not contain the full versions of either book. Animal Farm has only the first 10 chapters and ends abruptly on page 86. 1984 has only the first 3 sections and repeats itself.
This is more a sampling of Orwells Classics rather than a complete read.
If you want to read the full novel. Don't purchase this one
Text Publishing
‘There are no replacements for George Orwell, just as there are no replacements for a Bernard Shaw or a Mark Twain…he pricked, provoked and badgered lazy minds, delighted those who enjoyed watching an original intelligence at work.’
Time
Fahime Rahmati
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
برای بار چندم خوندمش و چقدر حرص خوردم... یاد خوکهای وطنی افتادم که با چه وعده وعیدهایی سر کار میان و بعد ، خیلی ظالمانه تر از خوکهای قبلی کار میکنن.... و از همه اینها رنج آورتر تحریف تاریخ و ارائه آمار و ارقام من دراوردیشونه که ادم حتی خودش هم باورش میشه نکنه اوضاع واقعا بهتر داره میشه و من دارم اشتباه فکر میکنم!!!!!
Лунната мечтателка
4,5 звезди за "1984" и 2,5 за "Фермата на животните"
Определено ще прочета "1984" поне още няколко пъти!
Farnoosh Brock
Feb 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics
You Must Read Animal Farm. That's the brief version of my review.

Eric Arthur Blair, or George Orwell as the world knows him, is a genius at describing fear, terror, doubt, uncertainty, mischief, evil, and hopelessness. The writing is beyond exquisite, even if the topic is morose. Such a loss to the world that Mr. Orwell died when he was just 46 years old. The unwritten works that he never wrote, the works that would have enriched our world and weren't meant to be. In Animal Farm, much like 1984,
Kara Belden
Apr 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Two of my favorite books! Meant to re-read 1984 with the student book club, but it got away from me. 1984 was one of my favorite required high school reads my senior year, and I LOVE to teach Animal Farm!
Javad Khodadadi
Jul 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
داستان فوق العاده، شخصیت پردازی عالی یک داستان کوتاه اما زنده
هزاربار هم خونده بشه کمه
Nameeta
May 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is always difficult to review a book so widely read and appreciated. Especially one which is still relevant since the time it was written. I do not know anything about the Russian Revolution which this book is supposed to be based on nor am I well versed with the aristocratic/ political regimes of the world.

The title is so misleading, could have fooled me into thinking that this was a book about a farm where animals can talk and live together harmoniously... sort of like something Enid Blyton
Leonard
Sep 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
“All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others.”

Joseph Stalin
Joseph Stalin

In Animal Farm George Orwell reenacted the Russian Revolution and its aftermath, Major, Napoleon, Snowball, Jones, and Frederick incarnating Lenin, Stalin, Trotsky, Tsar Nicolas II and Hitler. But through the fable, Orwell critiques not only communism but also any corruption of power, leaders highlighting real or imagined threats to instill fear in followers and solidify power.

Leon Trotsky
Leon Trotsky

As often repeated through
Jazzy Lemon
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Orwellian has been introduced into the English language for good reason.
Maria Lasprilla
Jul 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Aninal Farm was entertaining until I kept on finding the similarities with Venezuela. It was like the history of the last 15-20 years of the country told in the form of a fable and written decades earlier.

1984: this was worse than watching a horror movie (which I hate) because while in a movie I'm always aware it's fiction, the book kept on confusing me making me feel I was actually going through a factual piece. Only specific elements got me out of it. The biggest impressions happened while re
Cindy
Animal Farm is reviewed here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

1984 - a terrifying look into the future that seems more possible with each passing day. The writing still stands up, and though 1984 is long in the past, and we still aren't quite living the the horrid oligarchy of Engsoc - we have traveled too far down the path for comfort. I'm pinning my hopes on the proletariat, and hoping I'm not wrong.
Jongalt
Feb 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
Its quite unique how he portrays his characters as animals. And its often hilarious. But once again...hes a socialist...this is what he wants...why does he trash it here but fight for it in real life? But I have to thank him just like I did for 1984 for making a great book explaining the pitfalls of socialism.

Overall:
Storyline is funny yet serious.
You hate pigs more after your done.
You realize that George Orwell is a hypocrite.
Read it and feel great we aren't to this point...yet.
Melody
Jun 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
I have finally read 1984. It just took me a few years to pick it up. My rating is leaning more toward 3.5 more than 3.

I enjoyed the book. I really don't know how to express my feelings about it yet. But I did enjoyed it.
Mahsa Seyed jafari
Nov 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
این کتابو به همه پیشنهاد میکنم بخونن
Shaun
Jan 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This collection contains two of Orwell's greatest works that most certainly complement each other and are thus worth reading together. Yet because I wrote a separate review for Animal Farm, I will stick to 1984 in this review.

Not only can Orwell write with the best of them, but his philosophical and intellectual insights are notable. A story about one man's ultimately futile resistance against a powerful and totalitarian regime, 1984 illustrates how absolute power corrupts absolutely.

I think wh
Sruthi
Nov 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: schooling
"Animal Farm" tells the simple and tragic story of what happens when the oppressed farm animals rebel, drive out Mr. Jones, the farmer, and attempt to rule the farm themselves, on an equal basis. What the animals seem to have aimed at was a utopian sort of communism, where each would work according to his capacity, respecting the needs of others. The venture failed, and "Animal Farm" ended up being a dictatorship of pigs, who were the brightest, and most idle of the animals. Napoleon literally b ...more
Տիրան
Jun 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Շատ լավն էր դրսից նայողի համար, բայց մակերեսային՝ ներսից տեսնողի համար, իմ կարծիքով:
Vishwesh Jirgale
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of the best book I have read.
Animal Farm

Great dramatization of the very heavy idea that "Absolute power is likely to Corrupt Absolutely!"
I have read this book multiple times and would read it again because every time I read I gain new insights into human nature and the civilization/government game.
What’s more, the novel ends with a quote so true that it still gives me chills.
“The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again: but already it was imp
Joe Hill
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
Communism doesn't work because the people in power want power for themselves. Shallow characterization, I.e. None of the characters are compelling. It is a parable meant to teach you a life lesson about the dangers of socialism. I'm sure grade schoolers can read without rolling their eyes too much. For me it was too heavy-handed. And I'm pretty sure that pigs are not smarter than dogs by that much.
Rao Javed
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ficion-books
Awesome
Meg Abbott
Really enjoyed it! One of the best that I have had to study for English class.
Чемпионы: Быстuuuuuuu 1 4 Oct 27, 2016 01:36PM
A rip off "Bunt" from 1924? 1 6 Sep 11, 2016 02:46PM
ANIMAL FARM 4 20 Nov 26, 2015 07:46AM
ANIMAL FARM 11 39 Aug 15, 2014 10:05PM
  • Four Great Tragedies: Hamlet / Othello / King Lear / Macbeth
  • Brave New World / Brave New World Revisited
  • The Adventures of Tom Sawyer & Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
  • The Call of the Wild, White Fang and Other Stories
  • The Metamorphosis, In the Penal Colony, and Other Stories: The Great Short Works of Franz Kafka
  • The Iliad/The Odyssey
  • Dead Babies
  • The Pit and the Pendulum
  • Gulliver's Travels and Other Writings
  • Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird (Bloom's Guides)
  • A Snowball in Hell
  • Bradbury Stories: 100 of His Most Celebrated Tales
  • The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States
  • Chocky
  • The Rat
  • Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet
  • Common Sense, The Rights of Man and Other Essential Writings
  • The Drowned World
Eric Arthur Blair, better known by his pen name George Orwell, was an English author and journalist. His work is marked by keen intelligence and wit, a profound awareness of social injustice, an intense opposition to totalitarianism, a passion for clarity in language, and a belief in democratic socialism.

In addition to his literary career Orwell served as a police officer with the Indian Imperial

Fiction Deals

$3.49 $0.99
  • The Daughters of Palatine Hill
  • A House for Happy Mothers
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Poems (New Directions Paperbook)
    $11.95 $2.99
  • The Drowning Guard
  • Anathema
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Neverhome
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Sinner: A Paradise Novel (The Books of History Chronicles)
    $11.49 $3.99
  • A Promise of Hope (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #2)
  • 'Round Midnight: A Novel
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Ulterior Motives (Sun Coast Chronicles, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Prisoner B-3087
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Midwife's Revolt (The Midwife Series, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Place of Peace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #3)
  • The Beekeeper's Promise
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Two-Family House
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Where Do I Go? (Yada Yada House of Hope, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Bloodletter's Daughter
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Gift of Grace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #1)
  • The Luxe (Luxe, #1)
    $3.74 $0.99
  • A Dream of Home (Hearts of the Lancaster Grand Hotel)
  • The Thing About Jellyfish
  • Somewhere in France: A Novel of the Great War
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Skin
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Endangered (Ape Quartet, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Inamorata
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Life of Joy (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #4)
  • The Poisonwood Bible
    $11.99 $11.99
  • Cometh the Hour (The Clifton Chronicles #6)
  • The Question of Red
  • A.D. 30 (A.D., #1)
    $7.99 $3.99
  • Karolina's Twins: A Novel
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Illuminati: Roundtable of the Bosses (The Cartel #7)
  • The 158-Pound Marriage
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Chasing Rainbows: A Novel
  • A Season of Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Curtain of Green: and Other Stories (Harvest/HBJ Book)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Last Kingdom (The Saxon Stories, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
“In that case the current orthodoxy happens to be challenged, and so the principle of free speech lapses. Now, when one demands liberty of speech and of the press, one is not demanding absolute liberty. There always must be, or at any rate there always will be, some degree of censorship, so long as organised societies endure. But freedom, as Rosa Luxembourg [sic] said, is ‘freedom for the other fellow’. The same principle is contained in the famous words of Voltaire: ‘I detest what you say; I will defend to the death your right to say it.’ If the intellectual liberty which without a doubt has been one of the distinguishing marks of western civilisation means anything at all, it means that everyone shall have the right to say and to print what he believes to be the truth, provided only that it does not harm the rest of the community in some quite unmistakable way.” 13 likes
“ALL ANIMALS ARE EQUAL BUT SOME ANIMALS ARE MORE EQUAL THAN OTHERS” 12 likes