Start by marking “Animal Farm / 1984” as Want to Read:
Animal Farm / 1984

Animal Farm / 1984

4.28  ·  Rating details ·  154,654 ratings  ·  1,894 reviews
This edition features George Orwell's best known novels 1984 and Animal Farm with an introduction by Christopher Hitchens.

In 1984, London is a grim city where Big Brother is always watching you and the Thought Police can practically read your mind.  Winston Smith joins a secret revolutionary organization called The Brotherhood, dedicated to the destruction of the Party.
Published June 1st 2003 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (first published 1948)

To ask other readers questions about Animal Farm / 1984, please sign up.
Holly I think there is too much sex in this book for a 12-year-old.
Lindsay This edition has two Orwell novels in the same book: "Animal Farm" and "1984." There's no connection between the two novels beyond the fact that…moreThis edition has two Orwell novels in the same book: "Animal Farm" and "1984." There's no connection between the two novels beyond the fact that Orwell wrote both of them.(less)

·  154,654 ratings  ·  1,894 reviews

Start your review of Animal Farm / 1984
Janete
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Two of my favorites books of all the time.
Dylan McIntosh
Mar 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
I read Animal Farm once a decade. It is a quick read that constantly reminds me that I need to keep the blinders off and not take everything for granted.

I have a strange desire for bacon for some reason.
Chad Warner
May 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
These are Orwell's most famous books. Both are dystopian tales of the dangers of a totalitarian government.

Similarities between the books:
The government knows best.
The intelligentsia seize power.
The naive proletariat are oppressed and kept ignorant.
The government bends or breaks its own rules for its benefit.
The government uses propaganda to keep the proletariat in check.
The government rewrites history to prove that it's correct and that life is better with the government than it was before the
Mariel
Oct 18, 2011 added it
Recommends it for: m.d.
Recommended to Mariel by: witches saw the future
Celebrity Death Match tournament versus Macbeth.
In a galaxy that's this one and today only most people don't realize it because it scrolls on the screen in teeny tiny neon green letters with a sterile surgical instrumental backdrop. Or CNN. Once upon a time that's today. There was a MAN and a Big Brother and they were one and the same. What about the sisters?
"You could be big brother, you know. People always ask who the MAN is supposed to be. You're a man, aren't you? Although it has been some
M.M. Strawberry Library & Reviews
Two classic books in one! I read both of these stories years ago and loved them.
Markus Molina
Jun 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love 1984, I love Animal Farm, and I love George Orwell. There is so much wisdom and depth to these two stories and there is so much that has been written or said about them, it would be a struggle to review them without subconsciously regurgitating all the good things I've heard. I just feel like both of these stories, and especially 1984 should be read by everyone. I believe it helps you appreciate what you got and to question everything you hear. I believe they are some of the most thought ...more
Dana Turk
It is difficult to rate a novel which is incomplete. This version if Animal Farm and 1984 does not contain the full versions of either book. Animal Farm has only the first 10 chapters and ends abruptly on page 86. 1984 has only the first 3 sections and repeats itself.
This is more a sampling of Orwells Classics rather than a complete read.
If you want to read the full novel. Don't purchase this one
Kara Belden
Apr 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Two of my favorite books! Meant to re-read 1984 with the student book club, but it got away from me. 1984 was one of my favorite required high school reads my senior year, and I LOVE to teach Animal Farm!
Text Publishing
There are no replacements for George Orwell, just as there are no replacements for a Bernard Shaw or a Mark Twainhe pricked, provoked and badgered lazy minds, delighted those who enjoyed watching an original intelligence at work.
Time
Farnoosh Brock
Feb 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics
You Must Read Animal Farm. That's the brief version of my review.

Eric Arthur Blair, or George Orwell as the world knows him, is a genius at describing fear, terror, doubt, uncertainty, mischief, evil, and hopelessness. The writing is beyond exquisite, even if the topic is morose. Such a loss to the world that Mr. Orwell died when he was just 46 years old. The unwritten works that he never wrote, the works that would have enriched our world and weren't meant to be. In Animal Farm, much like 1984,
Suad Alhalwachi
Jun 17, 2019 rated it liked it
If you read this book as a straight fiction then its a novel for children and I am sure they will enjoy it and of course they will start to hate the pigs (maybe thats why we dont see many cartoons or stories with pigs for children except Peppa pig which my grandkids love so much).

However if its a political story that represents a party that overthrows a government and takes over the country giving promises to the people and then in years to come changes those promises, then the writer had
Nameeta
May 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is always difficult to review a book so widely read and appreciated. Especially one which is still relevant since the time it was written. I do not know anything about the Russian Revolution which this book is supposed to be based on nor am I well versed with the aristocratic/ political regimes of the world.

The title is so misleading, could have fooled me into thinking that this was a book about a farm where animals can talk and live together harmoniously... sort of like something Enid Blyton
Behrokh
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Bruce Hatton
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It must be at least 20 years since I last read these two dystopian classics. Although, I'm certain my opinion of them wouldn't have diminished one iota if I were to read them today. In fact, I'm sure they would, even now, contain much relevance to the current political scene.
The ending of Animal Farm is particularly prescient: the abandoned and betrayed animals looking in through the windows of the farmhouse and being unable to tell the pigs from the humans. This from a novel written 10 years
Leonard
Sep 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others.

Joseph Stalin
Joseph Stalin

In Animal Farm George Orwell reenacted the Russian Revolution and its aftermath, Major, Napoleon, Snowball, Jones, and Frederick incarnating Lenin, Stalin, Trotsky, Tsar Nicolas II and Hitler. But through the fable, Orwell critiques not only communism but also any corruption of power, leaders highlighting real or imagined threats to instill fear in followers and solidify power.

Leon Trotsky
Leon Trotsky

As often repeated
Maria Lasprilla
Jul 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Aninal Farm was entertaining until I kept on finding the similarities with Venezuela. It was like the history of the last 15-20 years of the country told in the form of a fable and written decades earlier.

1984: this was worse than watching a horror movie (which I hate) because while in a movie I'm always aware it's fiction, the book kept on confusing me making me feel I was actually going through a factual piece. Only specific elements got me out of it. The biggest impressions happened while
Jongalt
Feb 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
Its quite unique how he portrays his characters as animals. And its often hilarious. But once again...hes a socialist...this is what he wants...why does he trash it here but fight for it in real life? But I have to thank him just like I did for 1984 for making a great book explaining the pitfalls of socialism.

Overall:
Storyline is funny yet serious.
You hate pigs more after your done.
You realize that George Orwell is a hypocrite.
Read it and feel great we aren't to this point...yet.
Melody
Jun 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
I have finally read 1984. It just took me a few years to pick it up. My rating is leaning more toward 3.5 more than 3.

I enjoyed the book. I really don't know how to express my feelings about it yet. But I did enjoyed it.
Ahmad Qassab Bashi
Nov 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-kindle
I liked the Animal Farm more than 1984- As for the 1984 nothing strange for me. I'm from Syria and I know that what he said is what we lived in the 80s and 90s but the prisons are much much worse.
The Animal Farm 4 stars
1984- 3
Jazzy Lemon
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Orwellian has been introduced into the English language for good reason.
Wendy Jones
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I never saw that ending coming!
Myles
Jun 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Animal Farm was an interesting book, not what I was expecting out of traditional literature read. The main point of the book is that the animals want freedom and equality as humans have and in order to do that they have to overthrow the farm. Throughout the book, the animals, and the three pigs fight for power within the farm. In the end, the rest of the animals are watching Napoleon, Snowball, and Major sit, eat and drink alcohol at a table of humans. Although the animals were mad that the pigs ...more
Shaun
Jan 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This collection contains two of Orwell's greatest works that most certainly complement each other and are thus worth reading together. Yet because I wrote a separate review for Animal Farm, I will stick to 1984 in this review.

Not only can Orwell write with the best of them, but his philosophical and intellectual insights are notable. A story about one man's ultimately futile resistance against a powerful and totalitarian regime, 1984 illustrates how absolute power corrupts absolutely.

I think
Sruthi
Nov 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: schooling
"Animal Farm" tells the simple and tragic story of what happens when the oppressed farm animals rebel, drive out Mr. Jones, the farmer, and attempt to rule the farm themselves, on an equal basis. What the animals seem to have aimed at was a utopian sort of communism, where each would work according to his capacity, respecting the needs of others. The venture failed, and "Animal Farm" ended up being a dictatorship of pigs, who were the brightest, and most idle of the animals. Napoleon literally ...more
Cindy
Animal Farm is reviewed here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

1984 - a terrifying look into the future that seems more possible with each passing day. The writing still stands up, and though 1984 is long in the past, and we still aren't quite living the the horrid oligarchy of Engsoc - we have traveled too far down the path for comfort. I'm pinning my hopes on the proletariat, and hoping I'm not wrong.
Pavel Kolev
Mar 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well don't finish the book before going to bed - that's for sure. Overall I did not expect that kind of story. Some of the events in the book will require more thinking to figure out why exactly were they in the book. And now i can see why the phrase "1984 supposed to be a warning not a guide" is so famous.
Vishwesh Jirgale
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of the best book I have read.
Animal Farm

Great dramatization of the very heavy idea that "Absolute power is likely to Corrupt Absolutely!"
I have read this book multiple times and would read it again because every time I read I gain new insights into human nature and the civilization/government game.
Whats more, the novel ends with a quote so true that it still gives me chills.
The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again: but already it was
Joe Hill
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
Communism doesn't work because the people in power want power for themselves. Shallow characterization, I.e. None of the characters are compelling. It is a parable meant to teach you a life lesson about the dangers of socialism. I'm sure grade schoolers can read without rolling their eyes too much. For me it was too heavy-handed. And I'm pretty sure that pigs are not smarter than dogs by that much.
Meg Abbott
Really enjoyed it! One of the best that I have had to study for English class.
Marks54
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a reread for me on both of these books. I don't know why I pressed myself to finish this on Super Bowl Sunday, but it seemed appropriate this year. I have read both several times and read 1984 at the start of high school, well before the date of Orwell's major classic. It was interesting to look at these books again after many years and under current conditions. I will focus on 1984. Animal Farm was always good as a satire of the Russian Revolution eating itself and the main effect ...more
Teal Farms Keto 1 4 Dec 15, 2018 12:41AM

• William Golding, Lord of the flies Penguin Study Notes
  • The Call of the Wild, White Fang and Other Stories
  • The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: A Trilogy in Four Parts
  • Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Other Stories
  • The Metamorphosis, In the Penal Colony, and Other Stories: The Great Short Works of Franz Kafka
  • The Pit and the Pendulum
  • Fahrenheit 451
  • 1984: George Orwell (SparkNotes Literature Guide)
  • Stanley Kubrick's Clockwork Orange
  • Emily Brontë: Wuthering Heights: Critical Studies
  • The Foundation Trilogy (Foundation, #1-3)
  • The Metamorphosis
Eric Arthur Blair, better known by his pen name George Orwell, was an English author and journalist. His work is marked by keen intelligence and wit, a profound awareness of social injustice, an intense opposition to totalitarianism, a passion for clarity in language, and a belief in democratic socialism.

In addition to his literary career Orwell served as a police officer with the Indian Imperial