Start by marking “Raider of The Scottish Coast” as Want to Read:
Raider of The Scottish Coast

Raider of The Scottish Coast

Which serves a Navy better? Tradition and hierarchy, or innovation and merit?

It is 1775 and the American Revolution has begun. In England, the Royal Navy has one eye on the rebellious colonials and the other on its traditional enemy, the French. Two teenagers - Jaco Jacinto from Charleston, SC and Darren Smythe from Gosport, England - become midshipmen in their respective
Published July 23rd 2020 by Penmore Press LLC

To ask other readers questions about Raider of The Scottish Coast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Raider of The Scottish Coast

Start your review of Raider of The Scottish Coast
Píaras Cíonnaoíth
Great book from beginning to end...

Raider of The Scottish Coast by Marc Liebman is a superbly written and richly descriptive novel with brilliantly drawn characters and settings. The author weaves a well-crafted action sea adventure that will easily captivate the reader from the first page to the last. For me it was one of those ‘special’ books. You know one of those books that you read and really begin to care about the characters and what happens to them during the course of the story.

Raider o
Guy Wheatley
Oct 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I’m giving this 5 of 5 stars, but with a heavy caveat. As an amateur sailor, I have a little more than average knowledge of sailing and sailing terms. I still had to run to Google a few times. Additionally, the action is interspersed between highly technical details. I found those elements enjoyable, hence the 5 stars. A reader, unfamiliar with sailing, might well think they are reading a foreign language.
We follow the careers of two young naval officers, both starting as midshipmen. One is Brit
Alfredo R
Oct 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A book where life at sea is shipped to your home
In Raider of the Scottish Coast, passion and friendship cross the paths of two young men. Jacinto Jaco and Darren Smythe both thrive and fail several times while at sea. These teenagers do not coincide on how to lead a boat, but somehow a strong bond is created between those two. Can life at the Navy break this bond?
Although there are almost 400 pages in this book, I strongly believe that the plot inside the cover could put any reader at the edge o
Evelyn
Oct 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
How do you review a book like this? Where do you even begin? This is a detailed, emotional, gripping and compelling story called “Raider of the Scottish Coast” by Marc Liebman, a Texas author. He is a retired U.S. Navy Captain Aviator and a combat veteran of Vietnam. As he has a lot of experience on this topic, the story is very realistic and precise.
The basis of this novel is about two teenagers, Jaco Jacinto and Darren Smythe, who are mortal enemies. Even though I knew nothing about weapons,
Helen Hollick
Oct 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
The use of two different characters from two different parts of the world, fighting in two very different navies is a pleasant change from the more usual Napoleonic Wars British Navy viewpoint. Marc Liebman brings the Age Of Sail superbly to life, with a believable cast of characters, and action-packed plot and well-researched detail.

We have characters to cheer for, characters to boo at, action-packed fight scenes and all rolled into life aboard a sailing ship of the 1700s.

I also enjoyed reading
Pearl
Oct 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What made the book Raider of The Scottish Coast by Marc Liebman truly a spectacular read was the fact that the story is rich and with a nice touch of adventure throughout the chapters. This book is historical in genre and it has a unique plot. I loved that it talks about friendship despite the fact that both the main characters are enemies and are destined to fight against each other.

I also loved the setting of this book and how the story takes you to different places. These places were richly d
Melissa Hernandez
Nov 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, for-review, own
I won't lie. It did take me a while to get into the story. All the navy and sailor jargon was rather intimidating. I finally got the gist of what was going on and understood what crewmen were doing. Once Jaco went off to sea, it was a wonderful ride to see. It was interesting seeing Smythe's and Jaco's perspectives on the wars and on their ships, but the story felt more focused on Jaco. Smythe's ending didn't feel very wrapped up, but maybe that was the point. I rooted for Jaco the entire time, ...more
Brandon
Jan 31, 2021 rated it liked it
There’s a decent story here, but the lack of editing really detracted from the book. There’s at least one error per page that really detracts from the reading experience. Random letters in sentences, repeated words, misspelling the main character’s name... it’s really distracting, and if the author paid the editor listed inside the jacket, he got swindled.

I wanted to like this book more, but having to reread sentences every other page or so just to understand what was happening kept me from get
Laura Poppenwimer
Dec 11, 2021 rated it really liked it
This is very different from his prior series of books. It was well written and the characters well developed and interesting with varied personalities both good and bad. The book ended and there seemed to be more coming so I am looking forward to the next book in this series.
Claire Mac
Nov 16, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
being from Nova Scotia as soon as I noted that in the description I was like, well. guess I'm reading this! ...more
George Poppenwimer
Oct 25, 2020
Stacy
marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2020

• No Way Back (Jack McNeal #1)
  • Veilfall (Soothsayer Series Book 1)
  • Some Laneys Died (Skipping Sideways #1)
  • Only Our Destiny
  • Blue Cloak Warrior
  • Slaying Dragons: A Love Story
  • Ferdinand's Gold
  • The Optical Lasso: Beware of Neptune's Dark Side
  • The Hidden Hand of Death (The Jack Ryder Mysteries #1)
  • Murder at St Anne's (Yorkshire Murder Mysteries #7)
  • Dark Twists and Surreal Turns
  • Hidden Secrets of a Married Man
  • The Dar Lumbre Chronicles
  • The Name I'm Given: Decide Who You Will Be
  • From Liberty to Magnolia: In Search of the American Dream
  • Gavin (I See Things In Blue #2)
  • The Last Blast of the Trumpet

Marc Liebman is an experienced writer as well as a Naval Aviator combat veteran of both Vietnam and Desert Shield/Desert Storm. He retired as a Captain after twenty-four years in the Navy and a career that took him all over the world. Marc has worked with the armed forces of Australia, Canada, Japan, Thailand, Republic of Korea, the Philippines and the U.K.

He has just under 5,,000 hours of pilot-i