Start by marking “The Nature of Witches” as Want to Read:

The Nature of Witches

For centuries, witches have maintained the climate, their power from the sun peaking in the season of their birth. But now their control is faltering as the atmosphere becomes more erratic. All hope lies with Clara, an Everwitch whose rare magic is tied to every season.

In Autumn, Clara wants nothing to do with her power. It's wild and volatile, and the price of her magic―l
Published June 1st 2021 by Sourcebooks Fire

To ask other readers questions about The Nature of Witches, please sign up.

Start your review of The Nature of Witches
jessica
Mar 10, 2021 rated it it was ok
im definitely going to be in the minority of readers with my opinions on this book. so if you are anticipating this, you may want to ignore this review.

but for what its worth, i did try to enjoy this. magical witches connected to a season and weather is a really interesting concept. but urban fantasy is not my genre, so i cant help but feel that this story could have improved had it been true fantasy. setting this in modern day america threw me off and gave the story a vibe i thought was odd. i
Nilufer Ozmekik
Mar 31, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED IT!
I loved the unique mechanism of Magic’s working around the witches!
I loved the air pollution, climate change messages of the story!
I loved the Hogwarts school of magic for witches premise meets Practical Magic books with sweet, romantic vibes and resemblances of Jan De Bont’s terrifying Twister movie scenes !

I loved Clara even though I found her too stubborn and I pissed off the way of her never stopping self pitying!

I loved badass, loyal friend Paige!

But I mostly loved the charmin
Debra
May 29, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
"When the only thing left is your magic when that's all you have to rely on, you'll learn to respect it."

Clara is a unique witch. Most witches’ powers are tied to one season, and they use their powers to maintain the climate. But Clara is an Everwitch whose rare magic is tied to every season. With every season, Clara changes.... Read to find out how (or read the blurb!)

There are many things addressed in this book which make it so much more enjoyable. I loved the unique take on witches and their
Rachel Solomon
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I adored this contemporary fantasy with a unique magic system, stunning writing, and a sweet botanist boy love interest.
Sara L.
May 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing

"Just remember: the choices you make today will be felt by who you have yet to become."

Plot
Clara is a seventeen-year-old who is special. She is an Everwitch. Which means her magic is tied to all four seasons. She is the first Everwitch to appear in almost 200 years so it's a relief when she arrives. But being an Everwitch has its struggles. She has to go through each season while changing and becoming a different person. So she has a personality type for each season. She is forced to evolve
Montzalee Wittmann
May 28, 2021 rated it it was amazing
by Rachel Griffin
SOURCEBOOKS Fire

I first want to thank the publisher and NetGalley for letting me read this incredible story! Wow, I can picture this on the big screen! It would be amazing!

This is a world where witches help control the weather and other disasters that the regular people (Shadows) have messed up. (Pollution, global warming, deforestation, etc.)
The witches are each born on an equinox and that is their season they are strongest in. It's been over a hundred year
Dannii Elle
Witches, united with the changing seasons, control the Earth's climate. Over a century has passed since the last witch was born who could connect with all four seasons. However, Clara is one such witch. She has been born in a time when humans have overwhelmed and overpopulated the world and the witches are at the brink of their magical abilities in attempting to control the inclement weather that has risen in the wake of it. Clara could be the witch to unite all others and control it. Or she cou ...more
Adalyn Grace
Feb 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Add this to your TBR stat.

Full review TC!
Shauni
Thank you to NetGalley and Sourcebooks Fire for sending me this book in exchange for an honest review.

This was such a unique book. It has a different take on the theme of witches that I found refreshing. The plot is centered on the changing seasons, with each witch's magic being tied to one of the four seasons. But once every hundred or so years, a witch is born with magic tied to all four seasons. Clara is one of those. More powerful than other witches, yet she hates her magic and wants nothing
Lea (drumsofautumn)
wait.. is this a witch-y book.. about.. CLIMATE CHANGE????

Instagram | Blog | Booktube Channel | Twitter
MissBecka Gee
This was fantastic!
I love me a witchy read, and this was certainly that.
Highly recommend it to anyone who loves witchy stories, or just needs to get lost for a while.
Much love to NetGalley & Sourcebooks Fire for my DRC.
Darshayita Thakur
Apr 25, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This is a brilliant story about climate change and witches who channel their powers through the four different seasons. So you have four different groups of witches- The Summers, Winters, Autumns, and Springs. The author herself was born on a Vernal Equinox and is a proud Spring Witch.

We follow Clara Densmore, but she is no ordinary witch. Clara is an everwitch, the first of her kind to be born in over two hundred years. This means that she can draw her power through all four seasons.

Is a witch
♥Milica♥
DNF @ 30%

I don't dnf books. I push through no matter what, but for this one I don't have the patience (or the time) to waste on something I dislike so much.

The cover is beautiful and the blurb interesting so I was excited to read it. And there was something "eh" right from the beginning. It's partially the worldbuilding, partially the storyline and partially the characters. The writing style isn't helping much either.

It's set in California, but the way it was done didn't really work for me. It
Kelsea
Jan 29, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I had the chance to read this wonderful debut earlier in the year — and absolutely loved it! 😍 It’s such a beautiful, emotional, and magical story. I teared up quite a few times while reading. 😭 Clara was a wonderful, sympathetic main character — I adored her and the entire cast.

And I love love LOVE the way Rachel incorporated climate change into the narrative. It’s key to the backstory and conflict, but it also isn’t magically solved, and it isn’t the story’s main focus. The balance was perfect
Joleen (starlightbooktales)
4 Stars

The Nature of Witches has such a unique concept. Witches + climate change = one fantastic debut novel. This was one of those novels that the more I heard about it, the more excited I got. I love the entire concept of witches being tied to the seasons. But even more, I love that it is set in modern times.

Clara, an ever witch a witch tied to all four seasons) was hard to like at first. She struggles with controlling her magic due to past events that left her traumatized. But over time, and
Vanessa (ve_xo)
May 31, 2021 rated it it was amazing
✨navier Empress✨
Jun 04, 2021 rated it it was ok
I am really proud of myself! I managed to read this in less than a day! 🎉

Regarding the book, it kind of dragged a bit, and the main character was very melodramatic.
Dianne

Imagine being the reluctant possessor of the most powerful magics. Now imagine not being able to control that magic and harming others, being an outcast, not feeling in control. That is how Clara feels as the rare witch who has strong powers during every season, powers she cannot control while those around her expect more than she feels able to give.

Rachel Griffin’s THE NATURE OF WITCHES starts out with a wonderful premise that is both current and creative as she weaves her tale with threads of
rachel ☾

i kind of... hate the cover 😔

BlogTrigger Warning DatabaseTwitterInstagram
Kelly
Mar 01, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2021-arcs
Before diving into this book, I had previously read two reviews at opposites (one being five stars and the other one star) so I was curious to see how I would feel about this ARC. Turns out, it's a middle of the road kind of book for me. Not amazing but not horrible either.

Overall, I enjoyed it and for some reason I flew through this book which helped but sometimes, I wished we had a bigger plot. It did feel like nothing much happened other than the FMC's training to be an Everwitch, meaning a w
Abbie | nerdyabbie
Feb 08, 2021 rated it liked it
A unique debut about the price of magic, and the effects it can wreak on our world.

So, this one surprised me. It was a very different concept from other witchy books, which I was into, but the execution disappointed me a little bit. The writing style felt too staccato for me - there wasn’t a lot of flow. I just couldn’t vibe with it. Also, I couldn’t relate with the main heroine. The world-building was another let-down for me. I honestly just kinda flipped through it with disinterest. It wasn’t
Alaina
I have received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

The Nature of Witches was such a fun book to dive into. After first meeting Clara, I had a feeling that I was going to fall in love with her pretty quickly. Well, that sort of happened because at first she was kind of annoying. Mostly because she just kept pushing people away and looking for acceptance and approval from people.. when she should've been doing the complete opposite.

The reason why I saw this is because she is
Pei
May 13, 2021 rated it it was ok
Execution: 2/5
Enjoyment: 1/5
Final rating: 1.5/5 (rounded up)

I'm sorry but this was probably one of the most boring books I've ever read. Even the moments of conflict were dull. This was partly due to the pacing; the book opens up with a conflict and then nothing happens for the next 40% of the book. In the meantime, you get lots of mundane descriptions and Clara's wordy and extensive inner musings. The writing style is dry and very wordy. While the magic system and overall premise of the story i
Ashleigh
May 18, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*I received an e-arc from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review*

Great debut from author, Rachel Griffin! This book was not only about witches, but it also had a sweet romance, and spoke about some environmental issues in this fictional world.

Every witch in this book, no matter their gender, have their powers based in one season: Winter, Spring, Summer and Fall. The main character, Clara is an Everwitch, meaning that she has the power of all four seasons and can use them throughout the year.
Jackie
Feb 02, 2021 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2021-reads, fantasy
Witches, elemental magic and the changing of the seasons did a whole lot of nothing for me.

“The Nature of Witches” follows Clara, the lone witch tied to each season, as she struggles to own her power and use it to combat the unpredictable weather following the death of her friend. When it all becomes too much her teachers give her a tutor and hope she can end the year better than it began.

I had never been so bored in my entire life while reading a book!

I love any sort of witch book and the co
Daphnee (daphneereads)
3.5*

I think I have never read a fantasy book centered around climate change, and I thought it was very original! Although, the first half of The Nature of Witches was fast-paced and intriguing, then it really slowed down and I was disappointed. Other than that, I liked the characters and the plot, even though I do not feel satiated by it. I enjoyed it nonetheless.

Thank you NetGalley and the publisher for a free ebook copy in exchange for a honest review.
Sarah {The Clever Reader}
I was really excited to read this book based on the concept. Witches who control the weather sounded fun. I really enjoyed learning about each of the seasonal magic systems and Clara's anxieties around learning to wield them all but in the end I felt it fell a little flat. I wanted more of the magic system.

I felt confused about what the purpose of the story was. I didn't feel like the storyline around why the weather was changing so much and why it was affecting the witches was explained very we
Dawn
Apr 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing
THIS WAS AWESOME. This book is about witches fighting climate change, but also so much more. It's about self-acceptance and the power of never apologize for who you are.

Tha magic system is so unique and special. The author's take on a magic school setting coupled with a Chosen One character is so fresh and completely mind-altering. I haven't felt the magic in a book feel so MAGICAL in a very long time. I am immersed with the main character's journey in learning to control her magic.

This is ama
Jessica
Apr 12, 2021 rated it really liked it
This was a strong debut book and I loved the powerful descriptive writing. It was interesting to have the themes of trust (in yourself and with others) intertwined with the issue of climate change. It was special to experience Clara's growth over the course of the book. ...more
The Fantasy  Library
The story here is about a girl who is an Ever witch. The only one born after centuries. An Ever witch is a witch who can manipulate all the seasons; Summer, Autumn, Winter and Spring. The personality and feelings of every seasonal witch depends on the season they belong to and they are considerably weaker in the months that don’t belong to their season.
In this reimagined Earth witches and humans here known as the Shaders, live peacefully together. Witches are responsible for taking care of the
Rachel Griffin writes young adult novels inspired by the magic of the world around her. She is the author of the upcoming The Nature of Witches, releasing from Sourcebooks Fire on June 1, 2021, with a second standalone novel to follow in 2022.

Born and raised in the Pacific Northwest, Rachel has a deep love of nature, from the mountains to the ocean and all the towering evergreens in between. She

• The Dead and the Dark
  • The Stolen Kingdom
  • The Ones We're Meant to Find
  • Spells Trouble (Sisters of Salem, #1)
  • Instructions for Dancing
  • The Castle School (for Troubled Girls)
  • You Deserve Each Other
  • Inheritance: A Memoir of Genealogy, Paternity, and Love
  • Such a Fun Age
  • Plot Twist
  • These Feathered Flames (These Feathered Flames, #1)
  • Realm Breaker (Realm Breaker, #1)
  • The House in the Cerulean Sea
  • House of Hollow
  • Curse of the Specter Queen
  • The Bromance Book Club (Bromance Book Club, #1)
  • The Insiders (The Insiders Trilogy, #1)
  • The Family Plot