Start by marking “SUPERBU Homecoming: The emotional story of a family and their dog (inspired by true events)” as Want to Read:

Part memoir, part fiction, part fantasy, the SuperBu series will tell the story of a dysfunctional Indian family and the little brown dachshund that they brought home from a puppy mill – Bully.

SuperBu: Homecoming

Ajay Bera has spent nineteen years of his life trying to convince his mother to let him get a dog, and despite flunking his first year of college and barely surviv
Published August 15th 2020

To ask other readers questions about SUPERBU Homecoming, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about SUPERBU Homecoming

Start your review of SUPERBU Homecoming: The emotional story of a family and their dog (inspired by true events)
Tavleen Kaur (Travelling Through Words)
"Superbu: Homecoming" by Debarshi Kanjilal is the story of a dysfunctional family that adopts a dog and the changes she brings to the characters’ lives.

After reading the first few pages, I knew this book wasn’t just going to be an emotional story about a dog. It was also going to be about that dog’s family.

The Bera family had a very common and I would say, relatable family dynamic. Like many kids, Ajay had wanted a dog for years but his mother was against it. After many years of pleading and con
Belladonnaoflavender
Oct 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I have a dog. His name is Jaguar (For my non Hindi speaking friends) and kalu (For us) ☺ And yes he is the Apple of my eye. A while back I wrote a story post on Jaguar(If you go to my story highlight- Furs) and I keep him in my thoughts when I am away from him. He gives me absolute pleasure. It's untainted. The reason for this bonding is that he has never once hurt me. It's not because of lack of emotions but it's because he isn't as fucked up as half the people I have been hurt because of. In t ...more
Heena Rathore Pardeshi
Superbu: Homecoming by Debarshi Kanjilal is a beautiful book about the journey of the main characters as new dog-parents. It not only had a lot to offer to those who've gone through similar experiences but also for those who want to have a pet or wish they had one and plan for it someday.

The writing in the book is good which was, of course, why I rated this book so highly. The story had a very nice flow and I am looking forward to reading more books by the author in the future.

Being a cat-mom of
John Kerry
SuperBu Homecoming

By Debarshi Kanjilal

" A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself "

-Josh Billings

The Readera Review of SuperBu Homecoming | Genre Non Fiction

The day has finally arrived, it's the homecoming of Buzo , as family named the dachshund puppy they adopted after so much discussion because Barnali , the lady of the house was against the decision of bringing the dog in the house. She even spent her entire childhood praying that she shouldn't get married i
Priya Bhowal
Oct 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
SuperBu features a usual Bengali family where the lady of the house is particular about cleanliness and hygiene and hence is averse to having pets. Whereas the rest if the family yearns for a playful family member. The family is not picture perfect. Every one is prone to tempered that makes the characters much more believable. Their fights and arguments might feel overboard but nowadays it is common in households.

The family’s attachment to their new pet, the matriarch’s gradual bonding with the
Infosleuth
Aug 20, 2020 rated it liked it
A puppy mill dog meets its new family

The setting is India, which provided a window into the daily life of a family living there. The younger son, now a young man, has always wanted a dog but his mother is not a dog person. She has finally relented. Although it isn’t referred to as such, the dog comes from a puppy mill and is very sick. The book gives us a look at what both the people and the puppy go through in the first weeks after the dog enters their lives. They love the little dog but this
kim green
Aug 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Unique story of how a puppy can change life for a whole family

Not your usual cute but unreal fairytale. This is about a tough little dachshund puppy who wins the hearts of this slightly dysfunctional Indian family. Each person in this family is in pain and wants love but does not seem to know how to express it or ask for it. But little Bu brings it out effortlessly and gives it back by just being herself. This is a short novella that wants to be the beginning of a long book, fortunately the auth
Ankita
Aug 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
SUPERBU Homecoming by Debarshi Kanjilal is a story of a dysfunctional family that morphs into a tolerable one when it welcomes a sickly dachshund puppy, Bully (aka BU). The Bera Family consisted of Ajit, his wife (Barnali), his two sons (Arun and Ajay), and his mother (Taru). Ever since Ajay was eight years old, he wanted to adopt a puppy, but his mother, Barnali, refused him. She justified her refusal by chanting her very well-rehearsed mantra, Read the full review on my blog.

P.S. I had receive
Mary
Jul 10, 2021 rated it really liked it
A Simple Heartwarming Story

SUPERBU Homecoming is the story of how a sick, malnourished dachshund puppy integrates herself into a dysfunctional family to everyone's benefit. I found the book charming and a quick read. There are some grammatical and typographical errors, but not many. The only real issue I had with the book is the way the family's sons were portrayed. Both Arun and Ajay are adults, but I kept having to remind myself of that. Try as I might, because of the way the story is written,
Santosh Yadav
Sep 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing

Woven like an amazing spell of emotions
SuperBu Homecoming is a debut novel of Debarshi Kanjilal and what a debut I must say. I loved every aspect of this book. From storyline, plot , characters to its cover everything is nearly perfect. It's more like a rollercoaster of emotions and love of a human being for social animal i.e dog. Story is very relatable since Author has shared his own real life experiences flushed with humanly emotions.
Must Read
The Reviewera
Sep 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I didn't thought this book will going to be this good. It was , as you might expect , entertaining , a total different piece of adventure from every aspect.
It sets a very high bar for whatever he does that comes next.
Must Read
Barb Hegreberg
Sep 14, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Not what I expected.

The text seems a bit disjointed at times. Some characters need more development & others could have been left out altogether.
Meghna
Aug 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Superbu Homecoming by Debarshi Kanjilal is an engaging family drama that includes a dog.
This book is for you, if you are into dogs, you convinced your family to get a dog, and everything about that journey of getting a dog and everything in between.

P.S. I had received ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Diane Jackson
Aug 13, 2020

• The Five People You Meet in Heaven
  • The Whisper Man
  • Tuesdays with Morrie
  • How to Analyze and Improve Your Child's Reading Skills (It's easier than you think!)
  • The Quantum Cartographer: Book of Cruxes
  • The Perks of Being a Wallflower
  • Birth of the Fae: Locked Out of Heaven
  • Pokhran - A Novel
  • Stories of Us
  • Me Ki Gai: A Young Man's Journey discovering his Ikigai, Love, Happiness and Riches
  • RESOURCE WARS Mapping Global Greed
  • Gauri..!!
  • The Millennial Investor by Dev Dharira
  • Murder on the Peninsula (Galway Homicide: Hays & Lyons #8)
  • Marigold - the Golden Memories
  • Giraffe & Flamingo
  • Management Jukebox
  • Exhale
Debarshi Kanjilal (DK) is a dark fiction writer based out of Bangalore, India. His debut novella, Based on Lies, was a gripping psychological thriller. In 2020, DK returned with a new novella, SuperBu: Homecoming, an emotional journey of a family and their dog.

Debarshi ran the ‘God of Absurdity’ blog from 2012 to 2015, which published humorous anecdotes and reflection pieces. He is also an accompl

News & Interviews