Start by marking “Riding With Reagan: From the White House to the Ranch: From the White House to the Ranch” as Want to Read:

4.33  ·  Rating details ·  114 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
It is an image etched in the minds of a generation: Ronald Reagan perched atop his horse, riding through the dusty trails and canyons of his California ranch with his beloved wife, Nancy, at his side. But what most of us did not see was the man who always rode just a few steps away.

John Barletta was a Vietnam veteran and Secret Service agent who spent over a decade with th
Published February 1st 2006 by Citadel (first published February 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Riding With Reagan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Riding With Reagan

In the Secret Service by Jerry ParrMrs. Kennedy and Me by Clint HillThe Kennedy Detail by Gerald BlaineThe Echo from Dealey Plaza by Abraham BoldenRiding With Reagan by John R. Barletta
AFAUSSS
9 books — 10 voters
In the Secret Service by Jerry ParrMrs. Kennedy and Me by Clint Hill20 Years in the Secret Service; My Life With Five Presidents by Rufus W. YoungbloodProtecting the President by Dennis V.N. McCarthyNot-So-Secret Service by Vincent Palamara
Secret Service
19 books — 16 voters

More lists with this book...

Melissa J. Troutman
Dec 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I pulled this book off the library shelf because its jacket boasted three things that interest me: President Reagan, bodyguard work, and horses. I learned a great deal about all three. :) This sketch depicts one of our greatest presidents in a style that epitomizes the man himself: simple, relaxed, and interesting. It's a moving memoir by Mr. Barletta and a fitting tribute to President Reagan.
Richard
Aug 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
As I was reading, my impression of this book was that it is a nice story of Agent Barletta's time spent with Ronald Reagan, a man of dignity, honor, charm, wisdom, strength, character, and love. The book is very easy to read as Barletta and his co-author Rochelle Schweizer fill in, chapter by chapter, a portrait of this wonderful gentleman who just happened to be our 40th president. Only as I read the final two chapters, "Closing Scene" and "The Ending", did I realize how the book had drawn me i ...more
Lydia Presley
May 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010, non-fiction
Reagan was the first President I remember clearly. Even though I was young, I remember hearing about the assassination attempt in 1981, I remember the first time I learned that he had been an actor and I loved seeing his smile whenever he came on our television.

This book is written from the perspective (and memories) of the Secret Service agent, John Barletta, who spent the most time with him (even at one point being requested by President Reagan himself). The reason Barketta was chosen in the f
Jennifer Nelson
Apr 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this biography of Reagan written by one of the secret service agents who protected during his presidency and beyond. John Barletta spent many an hour riding with Reagan on Reagan's ranch and got to see what the "real" Reagan was like. Not surprisingly, Reagan was just as hard-working, gentlemanly, charming, and morally upstanding on the dirt trail as he was on the campaign trail. Barletta writes very fondly of President Reagan - I just loved all of the personal stories ( ...more
Pauline
Sep 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-aloud
We toured the Reagan Museum and picked up an autographed copy of this book for our daughter. We asked to borrow it back so we could read it since my husband and I read aloud in the evenings. It is delightful. Sometimes we are actually laughing out loud at the vignettes told by Reagan's secret service agent. Reagan's humility, quiet strength, love of hard physical work, and kindness to all comes through in this memoir. It makes me wish he was still our President.

Sometimes John Barietta seems to
Whitney
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A really charming book by the Secret Service agent who rode horses with Ronald Reagan. No surprise going into it that Barletta was going to be very complimentary of Reagan as a man, they obviously got along well and Barletta has fond memories of their time together. It's well written and an interesting, personal perspective on our 40th President. No real politics here, just a very good Secret Service memoir. Along the same lines as Standing Next to History: An Agent's Life Inside the Secret Serv ...more
Shawnee
Mar 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ronald Reagan and horses... what could be better! :) What an awesome book full of great personal stories. The one thing I didn't like about the book is that it seemed to bounce around a lot in the chapters themselves. Still a great read, but at times I was wondering why he switched topics so much... oh well. :) When the author started talking about Alzheimer's, it made me very sad. It is always hard to see somebody so strong and so independent, caring, and loving, battle that horrible disease. : ...more
Heather
Sep 10, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book read like the Secret Service agent who rode horses with Reagan was giving a media interview. He said many very kind things, with great reservation. It was like you could hear him choosing his words carefully the entire time you read it.

With that said, I suppose it would have been helpful to know more about horses to thoroughly enjoy this book. There is a lot of technical horse talk. However, the anecdotes that did shine through the PC-ness and horse talk were kind of gems.

Did those an
Heidi
Oct 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
LOVED it. John's account of his service protecting President and First Lady Reagan at their remote California ranch gave me a new appreciation for the office of the Presidency and for the man, Ronald Reagan. Reagan, and John, are the epitome of honorable men and I wish we had more people like them in our government. No matter your political leaning, I think you would agree that President Reagan did his very best for the American people and our world.
h =^..^=
Janna Scott
Jan 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
what a unique perspective agent barletta offers in this book. an avid equestrian, barletta served as secret svc agent protecting president reagan throughout his presidency, primarily but not limited to when reagan was on horseback at rancho del cielo and camp david. barletta, like reagan, is a gifted storyteller - and he's got some great stories.
Richard
Aug 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Goodreads is showing 2 editions of this book. By ISBN, this is the book I read, but based on the covers, the other edition is the book I read. (The difference in the covers is the quote in the upper left corner.) Otherwise, I think the content may be identical, with the same page count in each edition. Please see the other edition for my review.
Gary Ganong
Jan 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Susan Ganong
Recommended to Gary by: Tom
This book is a memoir of Ronald Reagan's Secret Service bodyguard and riding companion. Their friendship is evident throughout the book abd he provides personal details about Reagan that few other people could share. Horselovers will find a wealth of details about riding horses and Reagan's love for riding.
Charles M.
Delightful book about author's numerous horse riding endeavors with Pres. Reagan both during his presidency and afterwords at Reagan's CA ranch. Very heartwrenching moments decsribing Reagan personality, etc., including close to the end of his life. Very diffrenet viewpoint of how most people perceive the former president.
Brett Jonas
Jan 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
This was a wonderful look at President Reagan's life, written by a man who knew him better than most.
Thomas
Jul 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating insights into the private life of Ronald Reagan written by his primary secret service agent. Shows the high caliber of man that Reagan was. An excellent story.
Heather Lowther