Start by marking “Winter Witness (Batavia-on-Hudson Mystery Book #1)” as Want to Read:
Winter Witness (Batavia-on-Hudson Mystery Book #1)

Winter Witness

(Batavia-on-Hudson Mystery #1)

When a beloved nun is murdered in a sleepy Catskill Mountain town, a grieving young widow finds herself at the center of the turmoil. Bianca St. Denis is searching for a job and seeking acceptance in her new home of Batavia-on-Hudson. Agatha Miller, the nun’s closest friend and the ailing local historian everyone loves to hate, shares her painful personal history and long- ...more
Published September 29th 2020 by Level Best Books

To ask other readers questions about Winter Witness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Winter Witness

Start your review of Winter Witness (Batavia-on-Hudson Mystery Book #1)
Darcia Helle
Winter Witness is an atmospheric, slow-burn mystery.

The story opens with the murder of an elderly nun in a picturesque, quiet town in the Catskill Mountains. But the focus, particularly through the first half of the book, is less about the murder investigation and more about the people in the town and the secrets they keep.

Bianca, rather than the murdered nun, is really the heart of the story. We learn about her past and watch as she tries to fit into her new life in a small town. She becomes ob
Dawnny
Nov 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Being in the Hudson Valley I was anxious to read this mystery. Set in the Catskill Mountains, it surrounds an elderly nun that was murdered. The residents and secrets in this sleepy little town. I really liked this mystery. A great debut. I recommend this to mystery fans.

Dawnny Ruby
Novels N Latte Review
Hudson Valley NY
Mally Becker
Oct 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing

I wish I lived in Batavia-on-Hudson with the characters that Tina deBellegarde brings to life so ably in Winter Witness. I want to sip coffee in Stella’s Café with recently-widowed Bianca St. Denis, the sympathetic newcomer trying to fit into this small Catskill Mountain town while facing financial problems. I want to know more about Sheriff Mike’s troubled marriage and the PTSD that drove him from the city to this village. And, of course, I want to know how Bianca and Sheriff Mike will track do
Lelia Taylor
Nov 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: full-reviews
A bone-chilling mountain winter takes the front seat in deBellegarde’s debut that’s full of vivid characterizations that evoke not only the charm of a small town but also its unique atmosphere and secrets. Bianca is new to town but is drawn into the investigation, along with Sheriff Mike Riley, at least partly because of her journalistic background but it’s also an escape from the grief that surrounds the young widow. Her story is a compelling one but so is Mike’s with his troubled marriage and ...more
Miss W Book Reviews
Nov 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Winter Witness by Tina deBellegarde is a fantastic atmospheric debut novel. I LOVE mysteries and I am always looking for new authors in the genre. I am really glad I gave this author a try, I was not disappointed.

The story is about the murder of an elderly nun in the Catskill Mountains. The format of the mystery is interesting in that instead of dropping clues, there is more context about the people in the small town and their secrets.

I would say Bianca is the protagonist because the story is
Nancy
Nov 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Small towns seem to have lots of secrets. Batavia-on-Hudson is one such town. One of the mysteries there is why someone chose to murder a sweet little old lady nun.

The closest friend of the murdered nun is in the process of spilling the town's secrets to a young lady with whom she is fast becoming friends. That ended when Agatha Miller died, but the secrets didn't die with her. They lived on in her journals which she had given to her new friend Bianca.

As Bianca starts unraveling the secrets, s
Chris Ann
Oct 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: to-read-in-2020
What a wonderful debut novel! Loved the way Tina developed the characters.. can’t wait for her next book!
Jane Pettitt
Nov 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Secrets kept in the scenic town
The Catskills , a nun is murdered but no one says a word, enjoyed this book
Lida Sideris
Oct 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this well written debut novel. The small town setting came alive for me and the characters were nicely developed. As the story unfolded, I couldn't put it down and finished the book in two sittings. Engrossing from the beginning to end!
Carol Pouliot
Sep 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A fabulous debut. I was interested from page 1 and stayed with it until the very satisfying end. Looking forward to the next book in this series.
Kathleen
Nov 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
In Winter Witness, book one of the Batavia-On-Hudson Mystery Series, author Tina deBellegarde transports the reader to the tranquil Catskill Mountains lakeside village of Batavia-On-Hudson, New York, for an intriguing mystery story that will keep the reader guessing and turning the pages.

The past year has been difficult for Bianca St. Denis as she grieves her husband's death, while also trying to transition from an outsider and gain the acceptance of the villagers, even though she has lived in t
Annarella
Nov 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
I’m not sure if I am able to classify this book as there are cozy mystery, women’s fiction and psychological thriller elements
I can say I liked it because it’s the excellent start of a new mystery series and I think it’s an excellent book, well written, poignant and engrossing.
It’s atmospheric and I cannot help visualising what is happening in white and grey. The winter atmosphere, the small town full of secrets and the damaged characters who are fighting to overcome their problem or are locked
Joan
Nov 08, 2020 rated it liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this murder mystery. I liked the setting of a small town where it seems everyone knows everyone else yet there are deadly secrets behind some of the personal facades. I liked the main character, Bianca, and her struggles with feeling like an outsider even though she's lived there for a few years. I liked the support characters too. After all, what's not to like about a hundred year old fellow with a skunk for a pet?

I really like deBellegarde's smooth writing style. The plot
DianeG.
Oct 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
There is so much to love about this book! The character development was interesting and well-paced. The locations and emotions and were so descriptive, the characters in this enchanting New England small town really come to life! The story is absorbing from page 1. Looking forward to the next book in this series!
Jen
Eva Millien
Melisa Dowling
Megan Henn
Nov 03, 2020

• The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Hercule Poirot, #4)
  • Little Falls
  • The Haunting of Ashburn House
  • Färjan
  • Die with Zero: Getting All You Can from Your Money and Your Life
  • The Witch Hunter (Jessica Niemi, #1)
  • The Moonlight Child
  • The Star-Crossed Sisters of Tuscany
  • Life with the Afterlife: 13 Truths I Learned about Ghosts
  • Haunting the Deep (How to Hang a Witch, #2)
  • One Moment
  • Celia and the Fairies
  • Now I See You
  • Loss Lake: A Novel
  • DOORWAY TO MURDER: A Blackwell and Watson Time-Travel Mystery (Blackwell and Watson Time-Travel Mysteries Book 1)
  • The Perfectionists (The Perfectionists, #1)
  • The Word Is Murder (Hawthorne, #1)
  • KILLING WOMEN: The True Story of Serial Killer Don Miller's Reign of Terror
Tina deBellegarde lives in Catskill, New York with her husband Denis and their cat Shelby.
Winter Witness is the first book in the Batavia-on-Hudson Mystery Series. Tina also writes short stories and flash fiction.
When she isn’t writing, she is helping Denis tend their beehives, harvest shiitake mushrooms, and cultivate their vegetable garden.
She travels to Japan regularly to visit her son, Ales