Start by marking “The Itsy Bitsy Spyder (The Spyders #0.5)” as Want to Read:
The Itsy Bitsy Spyder (The Spyders #0.5)

The Itsy Bitsy Spyder (The Spyders #0.5)

What do you do when your mother feels that you don’t trust her?
If you’re Samira Joshi, and your mother is an elite spy who works for RAW, the first thing you do is … hide the knives.
After that, you go straight to the therapist that she has chosen.
For, when your mother knows seventeen different ways to kill a man, you don’t argue with her. Much.
Unless she’s trying to destro
Published August 1st 2020

To ask other readers questions about The Itsy Bitsy Spyder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Itsy Bitsy Spyder

Start your review of The Itsy Bitsy Spyder (The Spyders #0.5)
Reema D'Souza
Jul 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
I've always loved reading mysteries and spy novels since childhood. And if the book has a girl spy, I love it even more. The Itsy Bitsy Spyder is one such interesting book featuring a girl spy - Samira or Sam in short.

I enjoyed reading this book because Sam's life is filled with adventures. The book introduces Samira and her family. She wants to be a spy inspired by her parents who are both spies. But then her family has other ideas. The book deals with little episodes of Sam's life.

Written in
Nikita (Njkinny's Blog)
Sep 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone

The Itsy Bitsy Spyder by Apeksha Rao is the prequel to “The Spyders” series. Featuring a teen heroine, Samira who dreams of becoming a spy just like her parents, this short story is so engagingly written that it will keep you glued to your seat, eagerly turning the pages until the very end!

Full of witty banter, suspenseful twists and impeccable comedic timing, I thoroughly enjoyed Samira’s adventures. With this book, the author sets the foundation for her
Nithya K
Aug 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
A lovely YA tale

A smart tale about a super smart wannabe spy: Sam. When her parents have been training her to be a spy why would they want something else now? Read this fab story to find out...
Shilpa Suraj
Aug 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved everything about this story. Fun and bursting with humour, this is everything the YA genre should be. Cannot wait for Along Came a Spyder to release soon!
Harshita
Aug 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Samira Joshi's family seems to be a regular Indian family. Samira is a grade twelve student planning to do political science in college, her parents work in civil services and her grandmother keeps an eagle eye on Samira. The normality of the family, however, is a facade. Samira’s parents are elite intelligence agents for R&AW, and that is the career path Samira has chosen for herself...she wants to become a spy!
Samira hasn't had your regular run-of-the-mill childhood. Samira is a Krav Maga cham
Manali
Aug 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What an absolute delight this book was! I’ve hardly read a book with so much humour as well as excitement and thrill at every page. It’s usually either just mystery and no laughs or just light hearted humour and no thrilling moments; but this book gives both, and superbly so.

What I liked about the book
—> The absolute sass and unabashed savageness of the teenage protagonist Samira.
— > Aaji ( Samira’s paternal grandma) is a such a delight too and not the typical aged mother-in -law or grandma.
Ujjwal
Aug 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Parents generally forget that kids do what they see parents do rather than what parents ask them to do. The story has the same plot. Its story of Joshi family. Samira Joshi, the teenager and trouble maker, is intelligent and strong headed. She has been pursued by her mother to do medicine, but she has other plans for her life. What she has learnt since her childhood is absolutely different, from her mother’s new plans.

Samira is telling her story to a psychiatrist Doc Sen. Where her mother has tr
Krish Gangadharan
Sep 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
I read this book after I saw an interview of the author on a youtube channel. I think the interview was about her second book of the series which was to be the first and then she wrapped this prequel in quick time to beat the COVID crisis. That alone for me was a good enough reason to read this book. If this book was rushed, that does not show at all, in the design, the story, the writing or the editing. It's all looking good.

About the story itself, really not in my reading zone at all, its prob
Sunita Saldhana
Aug 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
I was first introduced to Apeksha and the Spyders through her blog https://apeksharao.in/. So when I read that she was writing a book about them, I could not be more thrilled. This book however, is the prequel to her book “Along came a Spyder” which is the first in a series of books about girls who are spies.

In this book, the author introduces Samira Joshi and her family. Samira is seventeen and wants to be a spy like her parents while her mother has other ideas about her future. The book is a
Simrit Bedi
Sep 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Growing up, I was always fascinated by spy stories and how they operated. This book intrigued me and I was fascinated to read about Samira's mother's work. Also, I enjoy reading books which a series of books and this book is a prequel to Along came a Spyder in the The Spyder Series.

Review :

This book is a Young Adults, fiction book and it introduces the readers to Smira's life which is full of wonderful adventures. I loved Smira and her mother's characters. The  argument between mother and daught
Siddharth Nirwan
Aug 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Itsy Bitsy SPYder is the debut of India's sensational young spy, Samira Joshi. It is the prologue of her adventurous and thrilling journey that is about to begin with her upcoming novel. The novella is set both in the present when Sam is in twelfth class, battling for her career choice (between Medical and Political science), and the past, when she remembers her first encounter with her parent's spy worlds ( they both are RAW agents) as a 5 yr and 8 yr old girl.
The writing is both classy and com
Sadhana Wadhwa
Aug 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Maybe, I should've waited for the next book to come out before reading this one!

If there's just one word to describe your feeling as you turn the last page is "Longing"!
Of also, one nagging question (with the risk of inserting a spoiler here) - "Just what happened in Pakistan?"!
Apeksha doesn't seem to be a debut author. Her work has a finesse which is seldom seen, you can't help but get engrossed in this. Having read a couple of short stories of her, I knew what I'm getting into when I started
Suhasini
Aug 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
An Interesting and Exciting YA thriller

This novel is very refreshing and fresh in the YA spy thrillers genre. Once, I picked it up on Kindle, I just couldn't put it down till the end. I was just searching for more pages of this book towards the end, as I just didn't feel like putting down. There are so many questions that are left unanswered and maybe they would be handled in a sequel. But waiting for the sequel has become a dampener if you may put it across so.

Samira (preferred to be called Sa
Chinmayee Gayatree
Sep 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
The book can be categorized into contemporary fiction or young adult genre. It has a comic tinge to it and is about a teenager trying to pursue her own dreams which might seem offtrack to normal people. But Samira, the main protagonist is a rebellious character mostly like many teenagers. She belongs to a family where her parents are spies themselves and hence she also has her own passionate dream but does not get support from her family. The witty protagonist uses all methods to convince every ...more
Prasanna
A prequel to her first book, Along Came a Spyder, this book introduces us to some of the main characters- the teenager Samira Joshi whose ambition in life is to follow her parents' footsteps and become a spy, her mother, Alka Joshi, who is convinced that Samira should become a doctor, her dad, Ranjit Joshi and her quirky grandmother, Aaji.

It does what a good prequel does, piques enough interest in the readers to make them want to pick up the sequel. It has laugh-out-loud moments when the sassy S
Hemantkumar Jain
Sep 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Being a spy kid is not easy - especially if you have been trained to be spy all your childhood and when you grow up, your parents get cold feet and want you to drop your instincts.

The writing is fun and contemporary with 4 ladies leading the story and setting up the stage for the full blown novel.

I look forward to the novel and would easily recommend this to anyone who wants an enjoyable read
Shilpi Lunawat
Sep 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This extremely well-written YA fiction courses the life of a young aspiring spy with as many interesting twists and turns as there can be. It beautifully landscapes Sam’s relationship with her spy family, especially her mom and aptly portrays a teenager’s passions and aspirations.

A wonderful, refreshing, exciting and satisfying read. At the same time, I’m left wanting for more. I will be picking up the sequel as soon as it’s out.
Nitya Pallav
Aug 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This novella is an audacious introduction by the author. The protagonist is a cheeky, smart, and absolutely unrelenting young girl whose little adventures are building up to something big and exalting. Humorous and awesome little book.
Gayathri Jayakumar
Sep 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
What goes on in the mind of a teenage girl who has been trained to be a lethal spy her whole life and when her mother, who had spent her every waking hour training her daughter to be the best spy, suddenly decides that her daughter should rather be a doctor, unlike her parents? Here is a sneak peak, a prequel to the adventurous story of a teenage spy girl.
Aarti Raman
Sep 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Move over Nancy Drew! We have a new gang of spies ready to deliver and do the job! Loved this mini spy caper about Samira and her gang. Can't wait to finish reading ACAS, Apeksha. And a special mention to how the two covers match each other so well. ...more
Bookish Jyo
Aug 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A well paced, witty, and entertaining read. Can’t wait to find out more in the first Spyder book!
Radhika Acharya
Aug 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
A fun read

A totally engrossing fun book. A novel theme, lots of drama and super fun narration!
This is a must read!
Aesha Shah
Sep 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Every young reader should read this book. The chief protagonist Samaira is an ideal role model for young girls. I am thankful to Apeksha Rao for writing this prequel to ‘Along Came A Spyder’ because it turned by 11 year non reader daughter into a reader for detective novels. Now she wants to read more detective books. I can’t be more happy as a parent.
Srividya Srinivasan
Dec 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My first reaction when I started reading the Itsy Bitsy Spyder was ...Woaah! Wait... What ! I was not expecting a sassy, witty and vulnerable teenager with a very clear mind of her own and yet equipped with her Krav Maga moves in Ms.Joshi. What also caught one by surprise was that the dysfunctional family was almost celebrated with glee. There was never a dull moment in the prequel, and many a time you were reading with eyes wide open wondering what would happen next. Ms.Rao sizzles just before ...more
Ankita
Aug 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Only issue is it ended too soon...cheeky conversations and we are left in anticipation to know what happened in Pakistan....need next book soon!!
Nithya Rajagopal
Aug 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
A YA novella which is as YA as it can get.
The plot is unique and the conversation between characters is youthful and sassy.
Nice and creative work, Apeksha!
Anshu Bhojnagarwala
Sep 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A must read desi YA book

This is good..and though I felt I wouldn't enjoy a YA novel, this one took me completely by surprise. Not only the characters are so well etched but also the plot is fascinating. The book leaves you at the cliff hanger too wanting you to read the sequel.
Aditi Varma
Aug 03, 2020 rated it liked it
Week 32 Book 38
The Itsy Bitsy Spyder by Apeksha Rao
Rating: 4/5

TIBS is a prequel to the upcoming Spyder book series.

Samira is a sassy 17 year old who speaks in sarcastic jibes with anyone who cares to listen. She has had a very unusual upbringing, and is determined to pursue a career in espionage. But much to her chagrin, her parents are forcing her to choose a less life threatening career, like medicine. Which Samira doesn't understand, because they both are spies themselves!

Fast paced, with ton
Pratibha Pandey
Oct 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
A good intro to the crazy world of Sam !
Arti
Sep 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book is the prequel to Along came a Spyder and many more books in the Spyder series. The story is written in first person from the point of view of Samira and introduces Samira and her family. It also gives us an idea how the series would proceed.
The story is fast paced and a page turner. The language is simple and crisp. The story moves back and forth between the past and the present. I loved the twists and turns.
The characters are realistic and so are their relationships. Even the second

• Love, Scandal, and Second Chances (The Kapoor Brothers #3)
  • Love, Truth, and Taking Chances (The Kapoor Brothers, #2)
  • In Love With Her Millionaire Foe (Millionaire Foe Quartet #1)
  • Bewitched
  • In Debt To Her Millionaire Foe (Millionaire Foe Quartet, #2)
  • A Barren Heart
  • Unsuitable Husband
  • Dear Husband
  • Truly Madly Crazily in Love
  • The Passionate Princess: A Historical Romance (The Princess Series #1)
  • Suheldev & the Battle of Bahraich (Indic Chronicles #1)
  • The Bride's Brother: A Passionate Romance
  • Over a Samosa: Readomania Shots
  • Unloved In Love : The Story of Imperfect People
  • Engaged To Her Millionaire Foe (Millionaire Foe Quartet, #3)
  • Love, Marriage, and Other Disasters (The Kapoor Brothers, #1)
  • One Day in Paris