Start by marking “Blacksad (Blacksad, #1)” as Want to Read:
Blacksad (Blacksad, #1)

Blacksad

(Blacksad #1)

Meet John Blacksad, a cat in the shadows. Imagine New York as a city of criminal rats, jazz-playing gorillas and rhino thugs. Enter a mystery where the suspects have tails. Find out why comics' biggest names are wild about one of the freshest graphic novels in years—a 2005 Eisner and Harvey Award nominee. Enter the world of Blacksad.

Natalia Wilford is a famous actress. To

Published September 1st 2005 by ibooks graphic novels (first published November 10th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Blacksad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blacksad

Start your review of Blacksad (Blacksad, #1)
Michael Finocchiaro
Fantastic graphics, original ideas - I loved this beginning of the Blacksad series. I loved all the humanized animals and the dark, romain noir atmosphere. A pure joy to read.
Jokoloyo
Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
WARNING: in my opinion this comic book is not for children. The genre is noir, regardless the gorgeous arts of animals. The arts absorb some of the violence content of the story and I think that is the great quality of this comic.

One peek and I like it already. The art is really super. I love the puns here and there regarding the animals traits.

I can not say much more regarding the story without spoiler. The plot is a simple noir, and this is the first book from a series, so I think you could gu
Sad Sunday (If I say it's bad, it's bad)
Cats.

I really wanted to love it (it has cats, it's sad, one cat is black, I love crimes) but I wish the story had more strength. The whole crime was solved quite easily, without much of a mystery and I wish the struggle or the "labyrinth" of solving a crime was a bit harder or unexpected. Now it was too quick and not revealing much about anything else. The drawing style is very nice and the characters are drawn perfectly. Loved that the various animals, not only cats, also appear in t
Artemy
Blacksad is a very well-drawn book with a very boring, predictable and by-the-numbers story, with the only twist being those awful, AWFUL anthropomorphic talking animals as characters. This is something I hate in almost any story, and here I just couldn't get over it as well. I thought I'd read the whole hardcover collection, but after finishing this first chapter I just couldn't force myself to continue reading. So, not my cuppa.
Sofia
Jan 04, 2017 rated it really liked it

My first Blacksad on the recommendation of Ije, whom I thank.

I loved the sketches which eliminate the need for words being so full of detail.

Blacksad version of hardboiled noir went down a treat. Going on more more.
description/>

Fitting into slot 10 of Lena's reading challenge. A book with a cat on the cover.
Daniel
May 26, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Gorgeous artwork, lame plot.
Don't get why people are praising it..
Ryan Mishap
Nov 13, 2010 rated it it was ok
Spaniards obsessed with noir, racial oppression in the United States, and McCarthyism. Weird. Oh, and the characters are all anthropomorphic animals--Blacksad himself being a cat. The stories are okay but they are shallow raking across ground already dug deep.

Every panel, however, could be a painting hanging in a gallery. So much beautiful care wasted on human-shaped animals. Sigh.

This totally got dinged for one of my mystery-crime pet peeves: showing the dead body of a woman (a cat woman in t
Dávid Novotný
Mar 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Not everybody can use about 50 which offers eropean comics album format well, but authors used limited space pretty well. Story is swift, there are no needless passages, and there is also place to build up some tension and mystery. Very well written, refreshing short noir story with great ending.
Paul
Feb 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
Okay, okay... I'm sold. For a couple of years I've been hearing about how good the Blacksad graphic novels are, but the world is made out of hype and I'm tired of chewing it, so I wasn't biting this time.

Recently, though, I ran across the graphic novels at Periscope Studios, where I work, and since they're hard boiled detective fiction, and that's what I was in the mood for, I brought them home and read them.

And, yeah, they're fantastic.

Juan Diaz Canales hits all the right chords for detectiv
Marion
Apr 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, bande-dessinee
The first time I heard about this was almost 10 years ago when my best friend came back from Spain with the first volume and was head-over-heels for it. We even bought her a framed print of the character (which was really pretty). But back then she was reading them in Spanish, and I don't speak Spanish, so I couldn't borrow her copies to read them.
Time went on, I still heard about the series on a pretty regular basis, but never took the jump to actually go out and buy it.
And then at work, one of
Esther
Mar 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
The art is simply gorgeous. And the 1940s aesthetic is definitely my style. I'll grab the second volume as soon as I can.
Willem van den Oever
With police cruisers parked outside along the driveway of a colonial home, a private detective is leaning over the corpse of a young movie starlet. Next to the private eye, the chief of police keeps hammering into him when the detective last saw the young woman and later warns him to keep out of this one. It’s police work. The detective pulls up the collar of his trench coat, tells the chief to go to hell and walks out.
Blacksad’ starts off like any pulp novel from the 1950’s. The dialogue is sn
Alan
Jul 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I would not have thought anyone could have told an excellent noir story using anthropomorphism, but these creators did it. While a brief tale, we get to join PI Blacksad on an emotional journey that can leave one almost as dejected as the PI himself. There are no winners, and everyone loses something (life, love, idealism, etc.)
Tiago
I never really cared for anthropomorphic characters, but I enjoyed this more that I was expecting to. I always had a thing for the noir style, no matter how cliché the stories usually are, I always end up enjoying the atmopshere, Blacksad is no different, fun enjoyable read.
steph
Feb 10, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
50‘s american private eye trope, fantastically unimaginative. only twist are the animal characters, which in turn also enforce the thinking along stereotypes.

the illustrations are gorgeous, but true to the pubescent tone, women are pure ornament.
Luana
Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Gorgeous artwork in service of a bit of a baby's first noir plot, but I can't stress enough how gorgeous that artwork is.
Amber Lea
Oct 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I often like noir more in theory than I do in practice, but this one manages to not fuck it up.

1940's aesthetic? check
brooding protagonist? check
an unsettling amount of crime and corruption? check
sexism that isn't too in your face so that it feels intentional and not like it's there for shock value? check
a general sense of misery? check
a sleezebag that gets what he has coming to him? check

There really isn't anything new or original here, at least not in the first issue, except for the fact that
Nial
Sep 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really fun read and the only problem is that its too short!
Justė V.
Dec 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Great characters, beautiful illustrations and witty dialogues and monologues. The plot itself did not leave me speachless but it is definitely an enjoyable book for 2 hour read.
Clara
Aug 25, 2018 rated it liked it
The art is five-star worthy, but I give the overall work only three stars for the one dimensional female characters.
Kafka
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Stunning art. I don't think I've seen animals drawn this way in a comic book ever. Read it just for the art, if you can. The story is okay. Really nothing to write home about. Perfectly average detective plot. Fun, if you like your murder mysteries and private eyes. But the art is to die for.
Bojan
Aug 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome story! It's the first book on French that I red! :)
João  Jorge
Jun 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone! Really, everyone!
Words fail me to express just how sublime “Blacksad” is. The art is simply magnificent, every page a masterpiece, with amazing detail and fantastic use of color. The drawings are beautiful, stylish and a perfect fit with the genre. “Blacksad” is all about noir. The title character is a hard boiled private detective wearing a trench-coat and taking on an investigation involving powerful people who want it buried even if they have to bury him along with it. Did I mention Blacksad is a cat? Every c ...more
Pranay
Nov 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
One of the first thing that hits you about the graphic novel is the brilliant art (Guarnido). It is just too awesome and in my opinion one of the finest. The story revolves around Jean Blacksad who is investigating the murder of his ex-flame a famous actress. The set up is the noir style and the story moves at a good pace to keep you hooked. However the story(by Canales) is a bit predictable and what could have lifted the entire novel a notch would be to see Blacksad's detective skills. He gets ...more
Tamahome

Um, the one I saw has a guy drowning on the cover. Kind of like Raymond Chandler noir with animals. But damn the art is nice. Think of those detailed backgrounds in old Disney animated movies. Just read a little bit so far. Apparently it's a big hit in Europe and just got translated into English.

Ok, wrong volume. I reviewed the French version of volume 4: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...
Suvi
Even though this is gorgeously drawn (making it flow like a movie) and I love the whole 1950s detective world, the actual content and plot aren't very challenging. I also can't really see the point of the characters being animals, since they do everything what humans do. I'm still going to read the others too, but they're mostly going to be little snacks whenever I don't feel like reading a book.
Silvia Pastorelli
Beautiful classic noir story, the characters are great, but the real star here are the drawings: the figures are amazing, I love the coloring and the composition! I can't wait to read the next chapters, Blacksad is a beautiful discovery!
Oliver Bateman
Oct 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
As far as this Blacksad, and all of the others go: triumphant art, crummy translation, mediocre stories (at least until you get to Amarillo, which is actually pretty freaking great).
Sara
Apr 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Basic noir plot with clunky dialog.

Beautiful art that elevates the story.

Fun to see how this first attempt is succeeded by increasingly masterful art and writing!
Guillem Plà Quiles
An exceptional delight for art lovers and noir freaks...
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Le Secret du janissaire (De Cape et de Crocs, #1)
  • Les Indes fourbes
  • Le mangeur d'or (Undertaker, #1)
  • Acte 1 (Il faut flinguer Ramirez, #01)
  • La danse des vautours (Undertaker, #2)
  • Pavillon noir ! (De Cape et de Crocs, #2)
  • Miss Bengalore (Le Château des animaux, #1)
  • Géante, histoire de celle qui parcourut le monde à la recherche de la liberté
  • L'Ombre d'Hippocrate (Undertaker, #4)
  • L'ogre de Sutter Camp (Undertaker, #3)
  • Marie (Magasin général, #1)
  • Le Grand Pouvoir du Chninkel
  • Anaïs Nin - Sur la mer des mensonges
  • L'Héritier (Largo Winch, #1)
  • Serge (Magasin général, #2)
  • Out of Position (Out of Position, #1)
  • Premières actions (Les Enfants de la Résistance, #1)
  • Shangri-La
Juan Díaz Canales is a Spanish comics artist and an animated film director, known as the co-creator of Blacksad.

Blacksad (5 books)
  • Arctic-Nation (Blacksad, #2)
  • Âme rouge (Blacksad, #3)
  • L'Enfer, le silence (Blacksad, #4)
  • Amarillo (Blacksad, #5)

News & Interviews