Start by marking “The Death of a Joyce Scholar (Peter McGarr, #8)” as Want to Read:
The Death of a Joyce Scholar (Peter McGarr, #8)

The Death of a Joyce Scholar (Peter McGarr #8)

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  232 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Trinity professor and Joycean scholar Kevin Coyle was one of Dublin's most colorful -- and controversial -- characters, until someone stabbed him through the heart on Bloomsday, the annual citywide celebration honoring Ireland's most beloved literary light. The poetic irony is not lost on Chief Superintendent Peter McGarr: one of the foremost experts on the works of James ...more
Published July 30th 2002 by Avon (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about The Death of a Joyce Scholar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Death of a Joyce Scholar

Bob R Bogle
On page 295 of this stinker of a novel the main character, presumably the heroic protagonist and Chief Superintendant of the Dublin Murder Squad, realizes he doesn't know whodunit and, deciding he can't be bothered to pursue it any longer, discontinues investigation of the case. After a line break the next sentence is: "Months went by." I'd known for a long while how sub-par a novel Bartholomew Gill's THE DEATH OF A JOYCE SCHOLAR was, of course, but now I desired terribly to throw it very hard a ...more
Charlene
Jul 11, 2016 rated it liked it
What fun to find a new mystery series with good locale and characters. Story revolves around the murder of a well known young Joyce scholar & Trinity University professor, found dead the morning after Bloomsday after his day and night long portrayal of James Joyce. Especially liked the reflections on Irish literature, especially Joyce and Beckett, and the Irish character. Fun, too, for the police detectives to pull out Ulysses and try to get through it, looking for clues. Odd note though for ...more
Mike
Oct 27, 2013 rated it did not like it
A lovely idea for a mystery - a man is murdered in Dublin on Bloomsday, and the police must search for clues in Ulysses - is utterly failed by a miserable execution. Haphazardly drawn characters, unconvincing dialogue, a plot that never hangs hang together, and an out of the blue solution that has nothing to do with anything. And, it's badly written. What a crushing disappointment.
Helen
Oct 24, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my introduction to this series, and the story is a bit both dense and slow--until we get to actual interaction among characters. The second half picks up the pace, but the first drags with all the James Joyce quotations and the lengthy literary discussions about Joyce and Beckett. If one has never read Joyce's Ulysses, this book provides a thorough introduction as the case involves a Joyce scholar murdered after leading a Bloomsday tour in Dublin. I might read another McGarr mystery, but ...more
Chris
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, ireland
Kept me guessing until near the end. Thoroughly enjoy this series. This particular book had some witty dialogue throughout AND references to Joyce's Ulysses and Beckett's works. Although having not read either of those authors would not take away from enjoyment of the mystery, I was rather pleased with myself that I could catch some of the Joyce parallels. I should get something for slogging through Ulysses!!!!

Set in Dublin, a Joyce scholar is discovered murdered on Bloomsday, it is up to Chief
Maurizio Codogno
Cosa c'è dietro l'omicidio, avvenuto alla fine del Bloomsday, di Kevin Coyle, letterato esperto nell'opera di Joyce? È quello che il capo della squadra omicidi, Peter McGarr, deve scoprire in questo libro. E dire che McGarr, pur essendo dublinese dalla testa ai piedi, non ha mai letto l'Ulisse...<br />
Come avrete intuito, la vera protagonista di questo giallo è Dublino. La Dublino della fine degli anni '80, per la precisione (il libro è del 1989), che immagino essere molto diversa da quell
Dec 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
For reasons that are not entirely clear to me, one of the pleasures of being a reader of mysteries is that you get to visit a lot of interesting places around the globe. And a lot of those visits come courtesy of a writer who was raised in England or America and now lives like a local in a foreign metropolis, like Rome, or Bangkok, or Bartholomew Gill's Dublin. Here is a rough and tumble, vibrant city that is portrayed with the love and humor that only a semi-outsider would feel for the place. T ...more
Louise Turner
Jun 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
This was recommended to me by a friend who had posted a "Bloomsday" greeting on Facebook. When I admitted that even after a dozen or so tries, I had never made it all the way through "Ulysses", he said he hadn't either but had enjoyed this mystery very much. I enjoyed it also and will read more of the Peter McGarr mysteries. I liked the sense of place, the way it gave me a feeling of what everyday life in Dublin would be like. It is also a good police procedural, and I look forward to becoming b ...more
Mara
Feb 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dublino 16 giugno: ovunque si festeggia Bloomsday, la giornata commemorativa dell’Ulisse di Joyce. Un accademico del Trinity College di Dublino ed esperto studioso dello scrittore irlandese, viene trovato morto nei pressi di un cimitero. L’indagine viene affidata ad un ispettore “dublinese doc” nonché capo della squadra omicidi, che si trova ben presto invischiato in un caso che intreccia passioni amorose... e un libro.La soluzione di questo complicato delitto dovrà infatti passare attraverso un ...more
Victoria
Mar 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
A professor of James Joyce at Trinity College in Dublin is murdered, and detective Peter McCarr, whom I'm reading about for the first time despite its being the 8th book in this series. McCarr finds that he must learn much more about James Joyce, and Ulysses in particular, in order to solve this crime. I've not always enjoyed mysteries from the UK, but this one was so much more than just a police procedural. The language, the references, were sometimes quite foreign to me, but this book is so er ...more
Mary
Mar 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
I just finished the first book in this series, and was not that impressed except that it was fairly short. Then started this one and it was much more readable -- so I guess the author has perfected his character. Makes me think I should pick up Ulysses since it is pretty much the main character in the story. But that will probably not happen. Enjoyed this story very much especially some of the new characters.
Aug 30, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Liked the serious literary reflections on Joyce, Beckett and Dublin, and the local Irish color as well. The investigation itself seemed to go on forever and wander awhile and the description of women by the male characters was misogynistic and entirely physical. I liked the setting, even the setting largely in McGarr's head, but that misogyny really was old school ugly and disconcerting.
Jan C
Apr 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
The book that drove me to buy Ulysses. I didn't know that book was supposed to take place in 18 hours and that is, allegedly, how long it should take to read it. I've been reading it for years now.
Kate
Dec 27, 2010 rated it liked it
Well written police procedural, with an interesting Joyce tie-in. I enjoyed it and will probably read a few more in this series, in spite of the author's taste for cute Irish-ness. It did inspire me to tackle Ulysses again ...
Diane Clavette
May 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable and easy to become engrossed in. Characters likable.
Cathleen
May 09, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: irish-writers
I took this on a beach vacation, and it was perfect for that. Interesting enough that I finished it, not so intricately plotted or artfully written that I had to direct all of my attention to it.
Susan
Feb 02, 2008 rated it liked it
I'm not a mystery fan, but I read this for my book club. I think it was only fair, but then, I'm no Joyce scholar!
Jan 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-suspense
1991...I think I was just beginning to embrace my inner mystery lover. See how this title bridges the gap between literature and genre (the plot is pure genre, obviously).
Austensibly
Mar 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: whodunits
Excellent, well-paced mystery for those that love mixing literary with the crime mystery genre.
Karen
Aug 04, 2009 rated it liked it
Irish mystery; tons of Joyce trivia. Lots of fun.
Gail
Mar 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
Odd but good. The Joyce background makes it a natural for booklovers.
Joan Schrock
Feb 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: europian-mystery
If you zre interested in the clasics-much discussion concerning Joce and his contemporaries. Setting is University-chzracters are professors of classical lit.
Teresa Drelick
Jan 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
This book was a little long winded. I thought it could have been wrapped up sooner but who am I to judge? Possibly it's the Dublin way of doing things.
Hannah
Nov 20, 2007 rated it it was amazing
In the summer of 2002 I became obsessed with Bartholomew Gill's series of detective novels. They are the only mysteries I've ever read, and I hold them close to my heart.
Lori
May 15, 2009 added it
Very good, much better than the earlier books in this series. McGarr's character really took a personality. And the Breshnahan/Ward relationship was a surprise.
Vanlilith
Jun 29, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished, gialli
Karrie
Jul 24, 2013
Linda
Nov 19, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Dante Game (Homer Kelly, #8)
  • Corridors of Death (Robert Amiss, #1)
  • On an Irish Island
  • Benny and Babe
  • Green for Danger (Inspector Cockrill #2)
  • The Nameless Dead (Inspector Devlin, #5)
  • The Doctor's Wife
  • The Bloomsday Dead (Michael Forsythe #3)
  • 1999: A Novel of the CelticTiger and the Search for Peace
  • The Cold Eye of Heaven
  • The Man Who Would Be F. Scott Fitzgerald (Stewart Hoag, #3)
  • Loving and Giving
  • The Irish Cottage Murder (Torrey Tunet #1)
  • The Aran Islands
  • Gingerbread Woman
  • Lady Gregory's Toothbrush
  • Ratlines
  • Watching the Door: Drinking Up, Getting Down, and Cheating Death in 1970s Belfast
Bartholomew Gill is the pen name of Mark McGarrity.

Mr. McGarrity was born in Holyoke, Mass., and graduated from Brown University in 1966. He studied for his master's degree at Trinity College, Dublin, and never tired of mining the country for material.

''One of the things they gave me,'' he once said of his books, ''is a chance to go back to Ireland time and time again to do research.''

He was also
More about Bartholomew Gill...

Peter McGarr (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • The Death of an Irish Politician (Peter McGarr, #1)
  • The Death of an Irish Consul (Peter McGarr, #2)
  • The Death of an Irish Lass (Peter McGarr, #3)
  • The Death of an Irish Tradition (Peter McGarr, #4)
  • McGarr and the P.M. of Belgrave Square (Peter McGarr, #5)
  • McGarr and the Method of Descartes (Peter McGarr, #6)
  • McGarr and the Legacy of a Woman Scorned (Peter McGarr, #7)
  • The Death of Love (Peter McGarr, #9)
  • Death on a Cold, Wild River (Peter McGarr, #10)
  • The Death of an Ardent Bibliophile (Peter McGarr, #11)