Start by marking “The Trapped Daughter (A Dark and Twisted Psychological Thriller)” as Want to Read:
The Trapped Daughter (A Dark and Twisted Psychological Thriller)

The Trapped Daughter (A Dark and Twisted Psychological Thriller)

"Excellently portrayed and filled with obsession, darkness, twisted truths, and insecurities." Starred Review by Readers' Favorite

Have you ever been trapped somewhere? I have.

Have you ever found that the world does not believe you? I did.

I have been betrayed by the people I trusted the most. They coil around me like snakes, lulling me with whispers about protection and saf

To ask other readers questions about The Trapped Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Trapped Daughter

Start your review of The Trapped Daughter (A Dark and Twisted Psychological Thriller)
Linda Strong
Feb 03, 2021 rated it really liked it
Belle is a prisoner in a huge mansion occupied only by her father and the cook/housekeeper. Her only other job is to make sure that Belle takes her pills everyday .. and actually swallows them.

Belle is beside herself with anger ..... she once was in love with Gabe. They met in college and it was Belle's work on his behalf that enabled him to become a famous celebrity and all it entails. But he's pushed her aside now that he doesn't need her anymore. He took her love, her money, her friends and t
Jenn
Sep 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
All I can say is Whoa! I thought I had this figured out, I was so off. I did love all the suspense and mystery though.
Tracy Frenette
Sep 24, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, arc-s
The Trapped Daughter by Jay Kerk

This book touches on a subject closer to more people than not. Mental illness. A first person narrative follows the complex character Belle, who is absolutely a unreliable character.

"Have you ever been trapped somewhere? I have."

The story is filled with obsession, darkness, insecurities and twisted thinking.

Belle believes she's being held captive by her father, who is insisting that she takes her medications and she will get better. But Belle believes that she's b
Carly Flis
Jul 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Jay Kerk had done it again! "The Trapped Daughter" is a gripping thrill ride that will have you question your own sanity. I was anxious throughout the entire book, hoping for some of the mysteries to be cleared up. The story is consistently thrilling, keeping you drawn into the story of a woman who believes she is being held captive by her father. Her attempts to escape and unravel the mystery of her situation create a tense and suspenseful read. I do believe this is the best of Kerk's books so ...more
Kathi Defranc
I read 50%of this story, but really does not hold my interest.No rating cause that's not fair.Other's enjoyed it, just not my type of story. ...more
Portia
Sep 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-by-author
Jay Kerk has a flair for writing stories that portray the natural tendencies of people concerning sensitive issues. They are honest, brutal and raw, that’s what makes them such an interesting read.

Alternating between past and present, Belle narrates her story. With every chapter, she showcases her relationship with Gabe. And through this narration, the reader can hear her desperation, her anguish and her most of all her pain.

She lost her friends to Gabe; she lost Gabe to fame and money. Her mot
ABCme
Aug 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, kindle
This is a story about a subject close to my heart. I recognized what was happening right from the start, yet the reader is kept in suspense until the very end.
The Trapped Daughter is a fast paced psychological thriller set in a confined space. The ending is well rounded.

Thank you Netgalley and Jay Kerk Books for the ARC.
peggy
Sep 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I am a great fan of this authors work. What he brings to his books is twisted darkness, complex characters and let the reader be part of the story. You are taken on a journey. A real page turner and a thrill ride. Belle has been imprisoned in her father's mansion Why? This read had me constantly holding my breath and changing my mind. Who is telling the truth? For me a masterclass in storytelling.
Thanks to Jay Keri Books and Netgalley for the ARC in return for giving an honest review.
Julie Powell
Aug 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I always enjoy a story that involves the psychological tangle that involves the human brain. The Trapped Daughter had me hooked from the start. It's written in the first-person narrative, which allows the reader to delve deeply into the mind of the storyteller - Belle.

Nothing was absolutely clear, and although I suspected the truth, it was written in such a way that many questions were buzzing - 'I wonder if...' Cleverly done.

Themes such as insanity, love and loyalty run alongside, identity, abu
Ivana
Nov 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
This was a really good book. I've never read anything like it, where the main character struggles with mental ilness. I was kept second guessing things until the last chapter and trying to see what is the truth about Belle and Gabe.

I received an ARC of the book via Book Sirens.
Linda
Sep 01, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: finished
I am a huge fan of psychological thriller books. However, I have a tough time thinking of this book in that genre. I appreciate the author taking on a story about mental illness and the highs and lows a person deals with.

I felt this story was so very repetitive with Belle saying/thinking the same thing over and over in most of the chapters. The ending seemed rushed and really didn't explain Belle getting "better" or truly how/who she was during her lows. I think a little more back story from so
Teresa Kander
This was a very quick read. Once I started, I didn't want to put it down. Unfortunately, the great story led to an ending that was disappointing. It didn't really provide enough information on how we got from point A to point B. (Can't really say more without spoilers)

Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for providing me with an advanced copy. I am voluntarily leaving a review and all thoughts/opinions are my own.
Janice Lombardo
Sep 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a great read! Thoroughly enjoyable, Definitely hard to put down.

Belle is in prison. Actually, her father, Richard, has her in his mansion and allows Belle onto the grounds.. However, she cannot leave.

Belle is not a child. She attended university and worked as a consultant to a band that utilized alternative ideas which rocketed them to stardom. Belle has been in love with Gabe, the band's lead and featured singer. And Belle still is in love with Gabe. However, he rejected her. He told her t
Elizabeth Regan
Jul 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Angelica Pavelock
Oct 08, 2020 rated it liked it
Thank you to Hidden Gems for the free copy of this book. I voluntarily reviewed this after receiving a free copy.” I was excited to get the copy, the story sounded very intriguing. I was ready for this psychological thriller. This is the first book I have read by this author. The book starts with “When locked up in my room, I can no longer Imagine good things. I take a piece of paper out of my notepad and cut into small pieces. On each piece, I write I am Belle. My father is holding me hostage i ...more
Chelsea Phipps •chelseas.bookshelf2•

This sounded like a great psychological thriller that would keep me on my toes, but it sadly did not live up to my expectations. I figured out what was going on right away and was waiting for some twist ending that never came. I really didn't understand the way the Gabe sections were written/blocked off. I didn't think those sections added to the story in any way. The book ended abruptly with not much of an explanation. This could have been a really great story, but fell flat.

*Physical
Jen
Oct 05, 2020 rated it it was ok
This was a psychological "thriller" that didn't really land with me. It centers on Belle, who believes that her father has locked her away in his giant mansion to keep her away from a boyfriend who dumped her once he got famous. Belle's father is telling her that she is actually mentally ill, none of these things happened like she remembered, and he is just trying to keep her safe. It's unclear where the truth lies.

I generally love a book with an unreliable narrator and this book definitely has
Moo
Jul 27, 2020 rated it liked it
This was a fast read. Maybe it's just me but I seemed to have a hard time understanding what was going on. It seems to me that this is about a girl who feels she is being held hostage by her father. She is not allowed to leave the house and is given pills. She has this hate and obsession for a boy named Gabe who went off to become a famous singer off of the songs she helped to write. Then once he became famous he dumped her and didn't want to have anything to do with her anymore. Eventually you ...more
Faith Hurst-Bilinski
Nov 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Trapped Daughter was a must read for anyone who has ever lived with someone with mental illness. Knowing what someone is thinking and feeling during an episode, regardless of the diagnosis, is almost impossible if you have never experienced it yourself. The Trapped Daughter is a dive into the psyche of a troubled young girl being kept in her father's house as she struggles to get someone to believe she is a victim. She becomes increasingly troubled, desperate, and frantic to find proof of Ga ...more
Samantha
Jul 29, 2020 rated it it was ok
First of all, thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for allowing me access to this book.

I find myself really disappointed with this one. The first problem I have is that the ending was so predictable. It was so predictable that the whole book dragged and felt repetitive because it was obvious where it was going.

The second problem I have is a pretty major one. Throughout 90-95% of the book there is a lot of anti-medication rhetoric and stereotypes. As someone who both has mental illness and
Julie Lacey
Sep 30, 2020 rated it liked it
This book was a bit different to my normal reads but I did enjoy it.
It gives you an insight into what someone with a psychological disorder may go through whilst building the story around her.
I really felt for Belle at times and also those around her, who were also trying to cope.
I enjoyed The Trapped Daughter, but as others have said, I wasn’t too keen on the ending.
Thanks to Jay Kerk Books and NetGalley for the opportunity to read this book.
Ashley Hubbard
Jan 14, 2021 rated it really liked it
I've read another book by Kerk, A Predator and A Psychopath of which I was very pleasantly surprised. So, I was expecting a lot and I was not let down.

Kerk is great at bringing darkness and realness with his writing. The Trapped Daughter is a psychological thriller that features Belle who is being held captive by her father. It's written entirely from her point of view.

This was definitely a wild ride and a page-turner just like his other book I read.
Elle Love Books
Aug 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"There is something about human psychology that makes us crave that which we cannot have. Some distant thing beyond our grasp glimmers and gleams enticingly, inviting us forward by its very unattainable nature. As long as we are sure we cannot have it, the desire to possess it never dies. This is why we often respond more to criticisms than compliments. We are denied the compliment, and it suddenly becomes more valuable than ones which have been freely given. We have to work for it, and that con ...more
Keerthana N
Aug 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Trapped daughter is a psychological thriller that follows belle who is being held "captive" by her father .The book is entirely written in belle's point of view.

The writing is captivating. It is a fast read and I Enjoyed it.
The Characters are well developed. I loved the character journey of Belle although i felt the second half of the book was a little slower in pace. Though the book is very engaging from the start,the ending felt a little predictable.

Thank you netgalley,author and Publisher
Bobbie
Aug 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-reads
What a whirlwind of a thriller! I loved this book! This thriller is about a girl about college age Belle, who is being held prisoner in her father's house against her will. He says she is sick and delusional. Or is she? She tells a different story. All that Belle wants is to be released and back out in the world with her boyfriend Gabe. But what is the truth? It has so many twists and turns, just when I thought I had it figured out, I found out I was wrong. This is the first book I've read by Ja ...more
Dianna
Oct 17, 2020 rated it liked it
The Trapped Daughter is a teeter totter of a read! It’s up, it’s down! At times, it swings left, then right. Until the final few pages I wasn’t sure what was going on or if I’d finish. I was as bewildered as Belle seemed to be.

The emotional whiplash isn’t limited to Belle either, it pervades every character; her father, Marie and “Gabe”. All of whom are vital to the plot and generate a wealth of gut-wrenching dislike and on the flip side, caring.

No doubt it opened my eyes even wider to how troub
Danielle Seals
Nov 10, 2020 rated it it was ok
The Trapped Daughter follows Belle, a daughter who is trapped against her will in her father’s home and is obsessed with Gabe, an artist whom she claims has stolen her ideas in order to gain fame. Dubbed as a psychological thriller, this is not a thriller, rather a story from an unreliable character with a mental illness. The problem is not that Belle is unreliable, as in a story such as this, this should have worked brilliantly, but rather it is three parts of monotony and repetitive inner mono ...more
Brad
Sep 30, 2020 rated it liked it
The Trapped Daughter is a new book by Jay Kerk.

"Belle is being held prisoner by her father in his house. She has no phone and no connection to any of her friends. She is made to take medication to keep her sedated. She wants to leave but cannot. She's still reeling from the betrayal of her close friend, Gabe, who took credit for all of her ideas to become rich and famous. Can she ever escape?"

We learn quickly that Belle has had some kind of breakdown. Her reality has gaps and there are hints of
Chanel Lindsay
Aug 06, 2020 rated it it was ok
I would firstly like to thank Netgalley and the publishers for allowing me the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest review.

I really wanted to enjoy this read, but unfortunately it just wasn't for me.
The plot definitely had a lot of potential. A girl being held prisoner by her father?!?! Intensely disturbing! And although it was pretty obvious where the story was going early on, I spent the whole book waiting for a surprise twist or an exciting ending. But the conclusion was,
Eloise Robbertze
The Trapped Daughter by Jay Kerk is a slow psychological thriller that was not as engrossing as I thought it would be, from the blurb.

I felt like I was on a merry-go-round, and I desperately wanted to get off! It is quite easy to determine what is going on with Belle and I felt the relentless pursuit of Gabe and the constant harping on about her situation quite tedious.

So much more could have been done with the storyline (a fantastic premise!). I kept reading because I hoped for a shocking plot
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Open House
  • Every Last Fear
  • The Perfect Father
  • Trust Me
  • Too Good to Be True
  • Silent Night (Paige Northwood, #2)
  • Possession