Start by marking “The Wall Street Journal Complete Money and Investing Guidebook” as Want to Read:
The Wall Street Journal Complete Money and Investing Guidebook

The Wall Street Journal Complete Money and Investing Guidebook

3.7  ·  Rating details ·  231 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Unravel the Mysteries of the Financial Markets—the Language, the Players, and the Strategies for Success

Understanding money and investing has never been more important than it is today, as many of us are called upon to manage our own retirement planning, college savings funds, and health-care costs. Up-to-date and expertly written, The Wall Street Journal Complete Money an
Published December 27th 2005 by Crown Business

Be the first to ask a question about The Wall Street Journal Complete Money and Investing Guidebook

Barret Floyd
Sep 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I like this book. It is useful
Kent
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This and other Wall Street Journal Money books are simply priceless!
Paul
Dec 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants to learn about the stock market or get started in investing.
This book is not the end-all-be-all guide to investment wealth and richness that many people may think it is just because it has the WSJ name attached to it. However, it never makes this claim in the first place. What it IS, though, is a thorough primer in the basics of the stock market and other investment vehicles.

While I do have previous understanding about the basics of the stock market, this book not only helped refresh that knowledge, but it also served to enhance certain aspects of it by
Scott
Mar 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2000s, money
Kansas's guidebook is a simple introduction to money and the markets it flows through. Like the other books in The Wall Street Journal's series on personal finance, The Complete Money & Investing Guidebook (2005) is really a primer of common financial tools: stocks, bonds, IRAs, 401(k)s and the like. Kansas doesn't go into much depth, and he doesn't give much investing advice. But for a financial neophyte, this quickly digested guide is a great jumping off point to further research. One of i ...more
Jen
May 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
My dad suggested I read this book after venturing into the stock market, mostly because I had no idea what he was talking about when he said he was writing covered calls.

I came out of the experience having pretty much all of my questions about stock market terminology and how things work answered — I even snickered a bit when the book said that hedge funds don't have to report their financial information the same way publicly traded companies do, because the whole world got a lesson in that last
Himanshu Gupta
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great introductory book to financial markets and different asset classes. The book covers everything from backgrounds of famous stock exchanges to investing in real-estate. I would highly recommend this book to anyone starting their career in financial industry. I wish I had read this book when I first started my career.

Full review:
Elysse
Feb 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book was no thriller novel, but I really liked it, and feel like I have a general understanding about the different types of investing and financial tools out there. This book did have lots of extras, like some historical data, lists at the end of each chapter of websites/books to read, and other little tidbits, so it was very well thought out and researched. I do like that this book was a general way to gain knowledge about investing, instead of a "get-rich-quick" scheme, or a "self-help" ...more
Ashish
Jun 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was recommended to me by one of the managing directors of Goldman Sachs and I can understand why. The book is excellent for anyone willing to understand markets and the basics of investing. Loved Kansas' simple yet vivid explanations of ostensibly scary jargon related to investing. It also provides external sources and recommends a healthy list of books for anyone willing to dig deeper into markets. Overall, this book is a good place to start for beginners to investing.
Josh Benham
Apr 17, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people interested in learning the fundamentals of investing
So far, this is a pretty good book. Amazon doesn't rate it highly, but I think it's pretty straightforward and gives you the basics of investing, really as fundamentals. A chapter on stocks, a chapter on bonds, etc.

Not so much advice on tricks to investing, which I like. It's more about how the markets work. A background book...
Yosep
May 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Informative and worth reading. It is full of entertaining and historical information in addition to the "meat" of the book, which is an unbiased explanation of everything you could possibly want to know about the financial markets and money.
Kyle
Nov 04, 2008 rated it liked it
On the surface it appears like this book is teaching you quite a bit about the markets, but in reality it's just wordy. Still, I like the author's examples as well as his effort to incorporate some Wall Street (and Main Street) history.
Jeramey
Jul 06, 2011 rated it liked it
As someone who thought they knew a decent amount about finance and had taken a handful of college economics and finance courses, I still learned a fair amount. I would recommend this book.
Bethany Lucas
Jul 10, 2007 rated it really liked it
This book was clear and informative, especially for someone quite ignorant about money
Chaitra
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
As expected - was very basic
Bryan Cottle
Apr 26, 2015 rated it it was ok
Too simple. Should be clear from day 1 that it is going to be that simple. Would not consider it a "Complete guidebook" as the title states, rather a "beginners guidebook".
Olin
Nov 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
Pretty good overview of investing topics, including some complex products. Easy read even for those not in finance. Recommended.
Elizabeth
Sep 28, 2013 rated it did not like it
Yeah, I abandoned this book after a while. I can't really effectively learn money/investing from some generic book. For this, I would need to learn by lived example.
Brian Hara
Aug 19, 2013 rated it liked it
See other WSJ review.
Argin Gerigorian
Feb 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: finance
Good introduction to finance.

Helps go through the basics such as stock, bonds, wall st., economics (although not that good), funds, investing, etc. etc.

Liked it
Dec 26, 2015
Kendall
Aug 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Wall Street Journal. Complete Personal Finance Guidebook (The Wall Street Journal Guidebooks)
  • The Motley Fool Investment Guide for Teens: 8 Steps to Having More Money Than Your Parents Ever Dreamed Of
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Personal Finance in your 20'sand 30's
  • The Wall Street Journal Guide to Understanding Money and Investing
  • 1001 Things Every Teen Should Know Before They Leave Home: (Or Else They'll Come Back)
  • The Career Guide for Creative and Unconventional People
  • Manners
  • Prince Charming Isn't Coming: How Women Get Smart About Money
  • Let Me Play: The Story of Title IX: The Law That Changed the Future of Girls in America
  • A Garlic Testament: Seasons on a Small New Mexico Farm
  • 33 Things Every Girl Should Know About Women's History: From Suffragettes to Skirt Lengths to the E.R.A
  • 24 Essential Lessons for Investment Success: Learn the Most Important Investment Techniques from the Founder of Investor's Business Daily
  • 7 Deadly Scenarios: A Military Futurist Explores War in the 21st Century
  • How Did That Happen?: Holding People Accountable for Results the Positive, Principled Way
  • 5 of USA's Best Trips
  • Nothing Down for the 2000s: Dynamic New Wealth Strategies in Real Estate
  • The Department of Mad Scientists: How DARPA Is Remaking Our World, from the Internet to Artificial Limbs
  • Seven Events That Made America America: And Proved That the Founding Fathers Were Right All Along