Start by marking “The Tiny MBA: 100 Very Short Lessons about the Long Game of Business” as Want to Read:
The Tiny MBA: 100 Very Short Lessons about the Long Game of Business

The Tiny MBA: 100 Very Short Lessons about the Long Game of Business

No longer available directly from Amazon. Please find the Paperback or Kindle-compatible Ebook at stackingthebricks.com/tinymba/

You don't need an MBA or fancy investors to succeed in business. Use the 100 ideas in this tiny book to evaluate your current situation: your advantages, your relationships, your potential choices, and the most likely outcomes.

BONUS! If you enjoy
Published August 26th 2020 by Stacking the Bricks

Start your review of The Tiny MBA: 100 Very Short Lessons about the Long Game of Business
Dave Ceddia
Aug 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I’ve read a bunch of business books. And by “read,” I mean I usually get about half way through – get distracted – and never go back. The Tiny MBA lives up to its name, though: it’s not much over a hundred pages. This one, I finished.

Taking notes on nearly every page, it took me a couple hours to read through. The pages had plenty of whitespace for notes, too! A nice side effect of the concise writing.

This is the sort of book that you could skim through quick, nodding like a bobblehead… but it’s
Geoff
Jul 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Reading this book reminds me of my many conversations with Alex over a drink (a coffee, a beer, an Easy Rider). Why does this matter to you, a person considering spending some time with this book?

Because Alex is one of those people that loves to dig in deep to push past “current thinking” or commonly held misconceptions to get to the counter-intuitive heart of the matter. This book is filled with those hearts.

I will caution the reader that Alex is not “giving you all the answers”. You will have
Krystal Elliott-Johnson
Jul 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
I want to start by saying that I have little to no experience/knowledge when it comes to starting or owning a business. I picked up this book because I am curious about potentially stepping into the realm of entrepreneurship, at some point in my life. While I won't say that this book created a foundation of knowledge, I will say that it definitely gave me points to consider, that I would not have come up with on my own. Because it was a short read, it was easy to pick up, at leisure. Some of the ...more
Lauren Tilghman
Aug 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is the a culmination of every important piece of advice that you wish someone had told you when pursuing your graduate degree and/or jumping into entrepreneurship. It’s the perfect reference book of reminders, and the perfect way to better your professional pursuits. I only wish there were more book references!
Ryan Frantz
Oct 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I appreciate the concise approach of this book. Without having to slog through case studies and comparisons of similar businesses, the author describes patterns he has observed running his own business. The reader can use these short statements to think more deeply about how it relates to their own experiences or keep them in mind as a reference later.
Snorre Lothar von Gohren Edwin
Jun 13, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-possess, kindel
Interesting enough! But if MBAs are this easy, I'm never taking one ...more
Jacob Voytko
Aug 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Discovered this presale through some essays written on stackingthebricks.com. As someone who is business-curious, I liked the idea of getting a ground-up foundation in business (MBA) from one of the writers of the site.

The format (100 prompts to use for reflection) has hard tradeoffs. The value seems to come from the insight that the reader can provide - "WHY is this true? Is it untrue? When have I seen examples of this? When have I seen counterexamples? Can I draw a generalization from that?" P
Justin
Dec 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is so good it got me to reactivate my goodreads account after years of forgetting it existed.

Amazing. oblique strategies for business. picked it up on a recommendation from a friend and already see years of value. 10/10 recommendation, more valuable than books you'll pay 2x or spend 10x the time reading.

It's so important you understand it's only a "book" in its form. It's a 1990s style 365 day desktop calendar, a magic 8 ball, an oblique strategies deck, a trusted advisor, a random guy
Andrew Askins
Sep 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Honestly, I've been getting more out of reading the Tiny MBA than most business coaches I've paid for. I've been keeping the book by my desk and flipping through the lessons whenever there's a lull in my day. Some of the lessons I've learned the hard way in the past 6 years of building our business, and are a comforting reminder. Some are a nudge to continue improving. Reading it feels like chatting with one of my entrepreneur friends.

The best part of the Tiny MBA though, is how tiny it is. So m
Alex G
Nov 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having started a business in the last year and climbing up the metaphorical hill Tiny MBA has been a bit of a forecaster and mind reader for me. Some passages are future insight of what I'll run into and I can only say that because I ended up seeing what Alex wrote in the book play out in real life. Other passages are already answering questions I had about businesses especially ones about partnerships.

I believe most of the value comes from not having to read fluff in business books. While I agr
Ben B
Sep 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The lessons are direct and the point, without the usual fluff and padding of business books. This book is as short as it could be, not as long as the content could be stretched.

You'll probably read this book two ways - the first time quickly, because you will want to read it all immediately and it truly is the *tiny* MBA so it won't take long. The second reading will be to come back and reflect on the lessons with more time to reflect on them.

Maybe you'll do the second read in an orderly start t
Joel
Dec 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
J.F.Nailed.It. Must read for all business owners, solopreneurs, & wantapreneurs. I seriously want to hand this out to anyone going into business or who has been in business <5 years.

Pg 102 is spot on. Spot. On. If I had a dollar for every business owner who I heard blame others on their way down the toilet, I'd have enough to do #1 (above).

Tongue and cheek comment: I was a bit disappointed that page 36 & 37 weren't exactly the same. #missedopportunity

Would totally recommend it. You could read i
Robert Rowe
Dec 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I purchased Tiny MBA primarily to support the author, whom I have a personal, deep respect for in the entrepreneur and creatives community. That said, the book is incredible for anyone looking for tips and wisdom regarding interacting with others in a business setting. Tiny MBA is extremely approachable, and wonderfully laid out, taken from a series of Tweets and conversations Alex has had throughout his career. I've been able to apply some of the lessons to my life as a professional musician an ...more
Katel LeDu
Aug 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What if you could build a business that aligned with being human? Not some impossible, even gross-feeling manifestation of what we’re often told BIZ should look like—but an authentic, sustainable version of what you, a real person, could put into a business and share with the world. Wherever you are in the process of starting a business—regardless of size or industry—stop. Read this book. That’s exactly what Alex will help you do with this tiny yet powerful guide.
Kirsten Lambertsen
Sep 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love this book of business meditations. OK, they might not be meditations in the strict sense of the term. But it's how I like to think about and use this book, one "meditation" per page. No plowing through anecdotes and long lead-ins about how or why the author came to his conclusion. He gets straight to the point. We're getting the baby without the labor pains here! And I'm here for it.

It's honest, pithy, quotable and shareable.
David Hackett
Oct 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: always-reference
As a graphic designer turned UX and product designer, I’ve always yearned for more practical business knowledge, acumen, and language. I’ve always wanted an accessible frame of reference for understanding business needs as they evolve and grow into a longer service.

Beyond portfolio development, timesheets, pitch/critique sessions, quotes, and billing—traditional design schools simply do not prepare designers for the business world in which they will likely (hopefully) be offering their minds, se
Kimberly
Oct 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It really put a lot into perspective for me, and I've vowed to myself that whenever I doubt myself, it'll be in my regular book inventory. This is the perfect coffee and shorter inspiration book. It comes chopped with the lessons that any new start-up or small business owner would need without having to read a million books. Of course, the recommendations for further reading are nice too, but I do think this is a great read for anyone who's bogged down by getting their business started.

Disclaim
Jason
Aug 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Tiny MBA is a great, short and sharp read that I’m excited to re-read, especially while I’m working through specific problems in the future. Full of helpful tips and prompts for questions to consider!

Overall a great book to flick through while planning, problem-solving or reflecting and I recommend it.
Benjamin Curtis
Aug 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Alex has distilled key insights for achieving success in the entrepreneurial journey in this book. Having run my own businesses for several years, I found myself nodding time and again as I flipped through the pages and found principles that echoed my own experiences. Any budding business founder would be well-served by pondering the questions and applying the principles found here.
Aron Levendel
Sep 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Every page is like an excellent conversation starter with yourself (or your team). I’m lucky enough to know Alex in person and reading The Tiny MBA is like talking with him: simple yet moving thoughts you wish to remember at the next challenge in your life. Good news! now you can have it written down so it’s easy to return and get inspired. Anytime. Anywhere.
Elayna
Aug 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An absolutely amazing book for anyone hoping to strike out on ther own. Loved the way each page felt like a prompt, questioning the reader to think deeper about what and why they *really* want out of being an entrepreneur. Know I'll revisit it again and again! This lil book is a triumph. ...more
Marc Thomas
Sep 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I know a book is fantastic when I find myself highlighting almost every page. This is one of those books. Timeless wisdom for entrepreneurs distilled into bite sized (very highlightable) chunks. Thank you for writing this, Alex.
Ryder Ross
Sep 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. It's filled with insight that makes you wonder what pain Alex had to endure to learn each nugget. I love these small books where the authors don't need to add a bunch of filler content just to pump up the number of pages! ...more
Simon Le
Nov 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'll Be Back

Many, many good bite sized lessons. The book starts with "take a moment with each lesson" and I look forward to coming back when the lessons are more applicable and taking many moments with them.
Tom
Sep 19, 2020 added it
Tiny MBA only takes a few hours to read, but you’ll feel like you spent that time with a friendly business mentor.
Eric Nehrlich
Oct 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The tiny lessons contained in this book are simple and feel like things that you should already know. And therein lies their wisdom - we often discount the simple truths. Taking each page and thinking about how it might apply to my business offered insights into new actions I could take. Sometimes things don't have to be complex to have value, so I appreciated the concentrated learnings expressed by this tiny MBA. ...more
Colin
Aug 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: to-re-read
A very quick read, but full of good value; I look forward to re-reading this one.
Seth G
Aug 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Alex Hillman's Tiny MBA is exactly that... a tiny MBA. It is full or bite-sized knowledge bombs that will make you better in business and in life. I highly recommend picking this book up. ...more
Gareth Jones
Aug 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great, quick read. Provokes ideas, triggers opportunities to delve into problems in a more meaningful way.
Avinash Hindupur
Dec 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
A nice little thought-provoking book with actionable insights. You can use this book as a random prompt or as a reference guide.

• Hell Yeah or No: what's worth doing
  • The Mom Test: How to talk to customers & learn if your business is a good idea when everyone is lying to you
  • Just Fucking Ship
  • Post Corona: From Crisis to Opportunity
  • Obviously Awesome: How to Nail Product Positioning so Customers Get It, Buy It, Love It
  • Your Music and People: creative and considerate fame
  • Do the Work
  • Just Listen: Discover the Secret to Getting Through to Absolutely Anyone
  • How to Take Smart Notes: One Simple Technique to Boost Writing, Learning and Thinking – for Students, Academics and Nonfiction Book Writers
  • The Practice: Shipping Creative Work
  • A Beautifully Foolish Endeavor (The Carls, #2)
  • Pumpkinheads
  • Traction: A Startup Guide to Getting Customers
  • Paper Girls, Vol. 1
  • Shape Up: Stop Running in Circles and Ship Work that Matters
  • Built to Sell: Creating a Business That Can Thrive Without You
  • No Rules Rules: Netflix and the Culture of Reinvention
  • Harrow the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #2)