Start by marking “Twice Shy” as Want to Read:
Twice Shy

Twice Shy

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  4,998 ratings  ·  1,382 reviews
Can you find real love when you've always got your head in the clouds?

Maybell Parish has always been a dreamer and a hopeless romantic. But living in her own world has long been preferable to dealing with the disappointments of real life. So when Maybell inherits a charming house in the Smokies from her Great-Aunt Violet, she seizes the opportunity to make a fresh start.

Y
Published April 6th 2021 by G.P. Putnam's Sons

To ask other readers questions about Twice Shy, please sign up.
Alicia It's a standalone and definitely not related to You Deserve Each Other.…moreIt's a standalone and definitely not related to You Deserve Each Other.(less)

·  4,998 ratings  ·  1,382 reviews

Start your review of Twice Shy
chan ☆
Jan 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing
good LORD this was sweet

i really was unsure going into this book how i would feel. didn't absolutely love this author's debut but there is something that is so enchanting about her writing style. it manages to make you laugh out loud, swoon, and tingle in the nethers.

this book did all of that and provided us with more interaction between hero/heroine than it's predecessor. i was a little worried until the 40% mark that i would have the same complaints that i had with You Deserve Each Other: not
emma
Attention to the following things:
- raindrops on roses
- whiskers on kittens
- bright copper kettles
- warm woolen mittens
- etc.

You are officially ON NOTICE.

Because you can no longer qualify as a few of ANYONE'S favorite things when Sarah Hogle is writing romance novels.

I almost never love anything. The idea of wild geese that fly with the moon on their wings can hardly bring even the ghost of a smile to my evil face. My average rating on this godforsaken website has been under three stars for more
jessica
Feb 10, 2021 rated it it was amazing
well, this story is so sweet that my doctor just diagnosed me with diabetes. but its a burden i am willing to bear because the sugary goodness of this book is too lovely to pass up on.

and i think what i love even more than the sweet nature of the story is the fact that so many readers will feel seen through wes’ character. he is just… ugh. i dont even know how i can describe how much i love wesley and what his character represents. i got so attached to him and adored how good maybell is to and
✨ A ✨
Adorable and wholesome 😭💖
__
I need this like I need air.

• Release Date: 6 April 2021 •

Find Me: Ko-FiBlogTiktokInstagramTwitter
Warda
Could just about handle how cute this book was.

I was hugely anticipating this book since I adored You Deserve Each Other so much (I marked this book as ‘currently reading’ even though it wasn’t out yet), and whilst I prefer the first book, I had such a great time with Wesley and Maybell. I feel like whenever I do decide to reread this book again, I’m going to love it even more.

The writing was so playful, so enjoyable to read. Both these characters were ridiculously relatable: Wesley with his g
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)
Jul 25, 2020 marked it as not-released-tbr
OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGG ANOTHER BOOK FROM THE MASTER OF ROMANCE SARAH HOGLE

why must we wait until 2021

| Goodreads | Blog | Pinterest | LinkedIn | YouTube | Instagram
Angelica
Jan 04, 2021 rated it really liked it
I read this book in one sitting, after making the mistake of starting it at around 10pm at night. Needless to say, I got very little sleep. I paid minimal attention at my work meetings, I was so tired. And I regret nothing!

The moment I saw that this book was written by Sarah Hogle, I knew I had to read it. She wrote one of my favorite romances, You Deserve Each Other, as her debut novel so I had pretty high expectations for this one. And let me tell you, while I didn't hold the same weight in my
Mash
*.·:·.☽✧ 5 stars ✧☾.·:·.*

“You ever think you were single for no reason and then you meet someone and realize you’ve been waiting for them without knowing it?”

That is exactly how I feel about this book. I didn’t realise I needed it until I read it and now I’m losing my mind because it was amazing.

Twice shy is a fluffy, sweet romance novel by Sarah Hogle. Maybelle Parish had always been a free spirit and because life had taken many turns in the wrong direction, she enjoys being whisked aw
Phuong ✯
3 stars

Reading Sarah Hogle's debut novel You Deserve Each Other last year was such a pleasant surprise and it made me push all of Sarah Hogle's upcoming releases in my auto-read list. Unfortunately, as much as I wanted to like this, it kind of fell flat. 🤷🏽‍♀️

━»•» «•«━━━━━━━━
PLOT
━»•» «•«━━━━━━━━

Maybell doesn't like her work, she doesn't like her coworkers and is pretty much unhappy with her life. That's why she daydreams a lot about her own 'Maybell Coffee Shop AU' that includes some h
 Teodora
I'm literally waiting for this book as I'm waiting every morning to drink my coffee - with hope and excitement ...more
Christy
Mar 20, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2021-five-stars
5 stars

001(41)

When I heard Sarah Hogle had a new book releasing, I jumped for joy. I was obsessed with her debut novel and I couldn't wait to read more from her. When I first started reading the book seemed a little...well, for lack of a better word, odd to me. Then I remembered that the start of 'You Deserve Each Other' wasn't my favorite, but that book became everything. This was somewhat of the same. The first half was a little slow and even strange at times, but that second half... it was perfe
Irena BookDustMagic
Apr 21, 2021 rated it really liked it
Actual rating: 4,5 stars

Twice Shy stands out with it's appealing cover and promising premise, but what made me want to read it as soon as possible were all the glowing reviews it received since it was published.

I am so glad that I gave this book a chance, because it is, in my humble opinion, one of the best romances published this year, and it is also very fun.
Plus, it has great anxiety representation.

Going into Twice Shy my stakes were high, and still I was pleasantly surprised.

I enjoyed spendi
♡tanaz♡
5 STARS ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

❝ I think you are beautiful, too, Maybell. I think that you walked into my life and absolutely ruined it with how beautiful you are. I haven’t gotten a single decent night’s rest since we met.❞

i don't think i have ever highlighted a book as much as this one. this book is sweeter than the biscoff donut from krispy kreme (trust me i know I've had about a million) and i am not mad about it!!! i liked You Deserve Each Other, but this book was just on another level.

✨plot✨

maybell parrish
Mika Auguste
Apr 07, 2021 rated it really liked it
4.5
this was the CUTEST book i’ve ever read. i was really scared going into it because of how much i loved you deserve each other, but sarah hogle proved that she is DEFINITELY a new favorite romance author of mine.

i also related to main character so much??? not only is she a vivid day dreamer and constantly in her own little world like yours truly, but we even basically had the same myers briggs personality type, (i’m an enfp and she’s an infp) so i felt EXTRA connected to her as a whole.

this
menna
Feb 05, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2021-releases, arcs
If i had to use one word to describe this book, it would be Soft™.

It’ll leave you all warm inside, giving you the exact equivalent feeling of being wrapped in a soft blanket!! it's just so wholesome, sweet and gives you all the nice, wonderful feels!!! Every line is just pure magic that made my heart ache, I was 3 seconds away from combusting.

I was thinking about when I could reread this again from the moment I started because of the way it made me feel!! And honestly this feeling got bigger and
shre ♡
Jul 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
"you ever think you were single for no reason and then you meet someone and realize you've been waiting for them without knowing it?”

well....no....not yet, but this book sure makes me hope that's in store for me.

maybell and wesley truly owned my heart and soul. i love how shy, awkward, realistic, and perfectly imperfect they were. we need more of that in romance novels cause god knows it's not always the flawless glossy faultless experience it's written out to be.

also this is a unicorn among
Chaity
I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS BOOK!

This is my book.Sarah wrote this book for me. Ask her.

Twice Shy is the most unproblematic -by my standrand- romance novel I have read this year.After The Hating Game and Get a Life, Chloe Brown, this is probably my third favourite book from this genre. Now that's saying a lot because I remember recommending those two books to even friend's cat once -in response she meowed and proceed to ignore me (cats do that).

This is the perfect book to read in April-
lazybookconqueror
Apr 14, 2021 rated it really liked it
Help, I cannot get over how intensely sweet this was, I might never recover.

Despite having a difficult life, Maybell remains helplessly optimistic. In her head, she is always living a sweep-you-off-your-feet romance. She is going through another particularly bleak day when she learns that her great aunt Violet passed away and left her a massive real state.

However, the house and grounds come with some strings attached. First and foremost, she is to share everything with the surly groundskeeper We
nick (the infinite limits of love)
4.5/5

Oh, how to review this book? Twice Shy is one of my favorite books this year and has cemented Sarah Hogle as an auto-read romance author. When it comes to romance novels, my favorite books are either the angstiest most painful reads or the softest books. Twice Shy falls under the latter group. It's wholesome and pure and gave me all the feels!

You all know how much I dig the sunshine-meets-grump pairing and Sarah blessed us with one of the best imaginations of this trope. We have Maybell Par
Catherine Woodward
Mar 31, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, 4-stars
**Many thanks to NetGalley, Penguin-Putnam, and Sarah Hogle for an ARC of this book! Now available as of 4.6!**

Catch a falling star and put it in your pocket...never let it fade away... 🎵

Maybell has always been a bit of a dreamer. Okay, she's a HUGE dreamer, who passes the days at her job at a resort in the scenic Smoky Mountains pretending she is actually the Event Coordinator her name badge states, rather than the overworked and underpaid housekeeper she actually is. And what takes her fur
h o l l i s
Few things are as satisfying as the moment the title of the story or the cover plays out on page of the book you are reading. In this case, it was the cover more than the title and.. looking at it now with context? My heart.

Which is basically an apt description for this whole read. My. Heart. TWICE SHY is pure sweetness, pure wonder and whimsy, and slow-melting gooey delight.

I think he's under a curse -- if he laughs, he'll die. This is a sensible explanation to me. It isn't that I'm not a joy t
vee
Apr 06, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: upper-3-stars
(( 3 ))

”I’m not that strong at all,” he replies modestly, head ducking, “but for you, I can be strong enough.”

So.
I’m sad.
and disappointed.

Unpopular opinion alert 🙈

First off, I found the back & forth between reality and Maybell’s daydreaming to be a lil hard to follow.

She and I are the exact opposite, maybe that’s why I just couldn’t connect with her, therefore reading her POV was not easy.

I didn’t care that much bout the plot which was ;
house renovation 🏠 & treasure hunting 🗝

One thing I d
tiffany
Apr 06, 2021 rated it really liked it
this was DELIGHTFUL <3

--------------

my expectation for this book is SKYROCKETING (is that even a word), but base on my friends' reviews, it seem like this one doesn't disappoint !!
Corina
Can I say that the expectations are HUGE????????
I'm not kidding. Especially not after last year's You Deserve Each Other, I need to see what the author comes up with next.

I finally got my copy. It's time to start this puppy....

I'm impressed that the author managed to pull off a completely different kind of romance with TWICE SHY. I can only imagine how hard it must be to write a sophomore novel after a debut novel like YOU DESERVE EACH OTHER. Which had such an interesting, unique and extreme tak
farwa⋆
-4 stars

Crying Cat - Meming Wiki

i kid you not. This book gave me diabetes for sure. How dare it to be tHIS cute and wholesome??? Like i can't count the amount of times i've held my hand to my chest just to make sure my heart wouldn't come out of my chest. It was kind of exactly what i needed at the moment-sweet and fluffy.
Also, i can't appreciate enough the fact that Maybell and Wesley had sUCH a good emotional connection with eachother urghh!!!
Hot take: I need Wesley in my life. period.

ok bye, i can sleep peacefully n
Chloe Liese
Feb 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing
sil ♡ the book voyagers
Jan 05, 2021 rated it it was amazing
my tears can't stop falling sarah hogle really wrote an amazing sophomore novel!!!! you all know you deserve each other is my favorite novel out there and twice shy isn't far behind... oh my god. i don't want to give anything away because you all the deserve the full experience but damn this book just hits different

- social anxiety rep
- shy giant hero who loves plants and is a vegetarian and just I want to hug him 24/7
- a lonely heroine who has never had someone in her life care for her or liste
Rachel Reads Ravenously
Apr 16, 2021 rated it really liked it
4 stars!

I just want to start by saying this book is one of the most bizarre concepts for a romance I’ve ever read, but it works! I loved Sarah Hogle’s debut novel You Deserve Each Other, and if that hadn’t been my favorite book of 2020 I think I might have dnf’d Twice Shy out of sheer shock at the premise. It’s odd. But I’m telling you all of this in case you pick up this book and think about quitting, please don’t! It’s totally worth reading on.

Twice Shy is about Maybell Parish, a lonely, non
Flor ❁
Apr 05, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2021, 5-stars
“I think that you walked into my life and absolutely ruined it with how beautiful you are. I haven’t gotten a single decent night’s rest since we met.”

RTC.
Daniella (Reading With Daniella)
Click here to see this review and others on my blog Reading With Daniella

3.5 of 5 stars

April 2021: Cute and fun, but a little on the underwhelming side. This was my most anticipated book of 2021, and while I did enjoy it as a whole, it pales in comparison to the absolute masterpiece that Sarah Hogle's debut, You Deserve Each Other, was.

Let's start off with the characters:
I liked Maybell, but there wasn’t anything about her that really stood out from many of the other rom-coms I’ve read in the

• Second First Impressions
  • The Spanish Love Deception
  • Life's Too Short (The Friend Zone, #3)
  • The Intimacy Experiment (The Roommate, #2)
  • Shipped
  • Credence
  • Dial A for Aunties
  • The Ex Talk
  • By a Thread
  • The Shadows Between Us
  • Playing with Fire
  • A Kingdom of Flesh and Fire (Blood and Ash, #2)
  • Meet Me in Paradise
  • The Twelve Dates of Christmas
  • Float Plan
  • The Secret Bridesmaid
  • A Strange Hymn (The Bargainer, #2)
  • The Female of the Species
A mom of three in southern Ohio, Sarah Hogle spends her free time planning weird pranks and hoping for a haunted castle to call her own. She is the author of You Deserve Each Other.

Articles featuring this book

When it comes to the romance genre, second books can be a bit like second dates, can't they? You've had that great initial meet-cute with...
“be able to just get up and leave if I wanted, for whatever reason, without grabbing people’s attention. Without being asked questions, and having to explain something I myself don’t entirely understand” 4 likes
“I hate restaurants, because when I sit at tables I feel trapped. Something about sitting down across from someone and it being socially unacceptable to leave at any moment makes me panic.” 3 likes