Start by marking “Teach Yourself Visually Crocheting” as Want to Read:
Teach Yourself Visually Crocheting

Teach Yourself Visually Crocheting

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  354 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
This highly VISUAL guide makes it easier than ever to get hooked on crocheting The approximately 30 million crocheters in the U.S. make crocheting one of today's hottest hobbies. This VISUAL guide makes it easy to pick up a hook and a ball of yarn and get stitching, with clear, step-by-step presentations of techniques accompanied by detailed color photos that show readers ...more
Published December 1st 2005 by Visual

Karen B.
I bought this e-book as I am trying to teach myself to crochet. I am left-handed so not every book works as well for me. Although there were pictures in it because of its format I wasn't able to see them as well as I would have liked so I broke down and ordered the print copy of this just so the pages would be full size. From what I have read I can tell that this book is going to be a great help.

I just received the paper copy. The illustrations are large, clear and in color. Highly recommended.
Sara
Sep 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crafting
I am technically still using this book, but I feel like I've gotten a good enough idea of its merits as an instructional manual to write something about it. I think for anyone who learns well through trial and error, this book will be extremely helpful. The pictures could be better, i.e., they could more clearly demonstrate the precise step being discussed, but the "plain english" instructions are great and quite illustrative. If you're the kind of person who likes having a teacher handy, someon ...more
Kathleen Dixon
Feb 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: craft
I can't wait to finish my current crochet project (a blanket for my granddaughter which could have been finished a month ago if I hadn't decided to try freeform lace for the 6th square) so I can borrow this book again from the library and make a sampler of all these wonderful stitches. I've been crocheting for years but have never done anything to a pattern, so it'll be fun to give all these ones a go.

Oh, I promised myself I'd make a cushion for my mother first.

#2 I can't wait till I've finished
Lisa Topp
May 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: beginning crocheters/all crocheters
Shelves: crafting
This book is great for everything from beginning stitches to more complex ones, from fun flowers and curlie cues to easy afgans and wraps. Photos and directions are great. I played around with the afgan stitch and making flowers and curlies last night.
The book covers everything you need to know about getting started, from types of yarn and their care, to selecting hooks, and how to read patterns. This copy is from the library, and I would definately like my own copy to keep on hand. It is an inv
Rachel
Dec 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crafting
Great resource for beginner crocheters or those that want to brush up on their skills. I have never been good at interpreting crochet shorthand, and I've always been a better visual learner, so this book was ideal for me. It gave you basic and advanced stitches, in addition to techniques, stitch variations, combining stitches, how to follow a pattern, stitch patterns, and troubleshooting. It also shows how to make different shapes/flowers/creatures, blocks and motifs, edgings, and patterns for e ...more
Paula
Jan 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
I looked at many Crochet books before picking this one out. I think it's the best learn to crochet book out there. It's not easy to teach yourself to crochet but this book really makes it possible. The pictures are very good. I keep this book nearby and refer it often in case I forget how to do something or want to learn a new stitch. I've found that most of the mistakes I first made when starting was from not reading the text of the steps close enough.
Peggy
Mar 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: have-it, reviewed
This is a very good book for beginners! I learned how to crochet from this book (with a little help from my friend Sophia), and they have a lot of different ways to crochet really pretty patterns!

I actually recommend this one over "Happy Hooker", part of "Stitch n' Bitch". While Happy Hooker has a lot of projects and patterns, if you are a beginner that wishes to learn, the Visual book is definitely worth the investment!
Natalie
Feb 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I used this book as well as YouTube videos to teach myself to crochet. One reviewer criticized this book for the lack of basics, but I found plenty of useful information and I refer back to the book often. There are plenty of colorful photos to illustrate techniques, and they all made more sense to me when coupled with videos (I am definitely a visual learner.) Nice projects, too.
Hafidha
Ebook on my kindle app isn't always in sync in terms of text and photos, but this book is great. I love how everything is broken down by small chapters so you can easily find what you need in the table of contents. The language is very clear and direct. The instructions are broken down step by step. Great for the ADD person, in my opinion.
Jamie Mauldin
Nov 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I picked this up at the library last week. An excellent primer for beginners. It makes the basics a lot less consfusing, and even provides advice for beginner lefty crocheters such as myself on how to adapt to patterns designed for right-handed people. I'm still technically using it to learn, but I feel as if I've read enough of it to see how great it is.
Lyndz
Oct 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Quite good, but I thought there would be more pictures you definitely have to read the instructions as well as look at the pictures. I had ZERO experience at crocheting before this book, but I am now doing several of the basic stitches with ease. I plan on moving on to some more difficult ones soon.
Holly Booms Walsh
Jun 18, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: novice or wannabe crocheters
Shelves: crafting
Most useful intro to crochet book I ran across while learning to crochet this spring. Great illustrations and explanations. I bought this as my reference guide and have referred to it several times already. Highly recommended to novice crocheters.
Ceanne
Jun 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even though I've been crocheting for more than 20 years I still like to look over the teaching guides around. Some times there are new spins on this old favorite of mine. This book also has some nice patterns I'm going to try.
Alison
Oct 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. Very detailed and well-written. I got it from the library, but I am very tempted to buy it for future reference. I've been doing single stitch crochet for many many years, but thanks to this book, I know multiple stitches, and finally created something other than a straight line.
Margaret Metz
Jul 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
I am very inspired by this book. It is chock full of projects and different stitches to learn. The full color photographs and step by step instructions are very helpful. The only improvement would be if I could hold my piece up to the book and it would tell me what I'm doing wrong. lol
Stella
Dec 07, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, crafts
I had to turn this in because it was on request. Bummer because I still wanted to learn more stuff in it. I actually taught myself to crochet with this. I knit, but had never crocheted before. I recommend it if you want to learn.
Dec 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: diy
Great resource.

Something I could see referring to quite frequently.

I taught myself the single crochet and the double crochet.
This book got me to experiment with circular patterns, flowers, and balls.

Sonya
Mar 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yeah, I'm a dork but this book really helped me to learn how to crochet, easy to understand and follow. Good Pictures.
آية  مجدي
For such an idiot like me, it was great :D
It learned me how to crochet. I had no experience crocheting before, but it was a great guide for me. I'll use it more and more.
T.C. Mason
Jun 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great reference tool that is easy to use. Great for refreshing and learning new techniques!
Megan
Mar 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is super helpful for those wanting to learn to crochet, or even brush up after not crocheting for a while. The pictures are extremely useful.
Teresa
Feb 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
great illustrations
Mzfitz
Apr 06, 2010 marked it as to-read
tclib 746.434 werker
Apr 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crochet
Absolutely love this book. Great for those who like to design their own stuff.
Katie Bug
Aug 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
best crochet book!!! I am interested in crocheting new stiches but I couldn't seem to find any good books but then I found this one!!! BEST BOOK!!!!
Leann
Jun 23, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not a particularly helpful book, unfortunately... Not enough focus on the basics.
Kelly
Jan 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
EXCELLENT tool for a beginner and new stitches for the more advanced! Love this book!
Blair White
Nov 18, 2016
Keely
Jan 24, 2009
Noor
Apr 24, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Crochet Answer Book: Solutions to Every Problem You'll Ever Face; Answers to Every Question You'll Ever Ask
  • Teach Yourself Visually Knitting
  • Mr. Funky's Super Crochet Wonderful
  • The Chicks with Sticks Guide to Crochet: Learn to Crochet with More Than Thirty Cool, Easy Patterns
  • The Complete Book of Crochet Stitch Designs: 500 Classic  Original Patterns
  • Amigurumi World: Seriously Cute Crochet
  • 200 Crochet Blocks for Blankets, Throws, and Afghans: Crochet Squares to Mix and Match
  • The Granny Square Book: Timeless Techniques and Fresh Ideas for Crocheting Square by Square
  • Crochet Me
  • Creepy Cute Crochet: Zombies, Ninjas, Robots, and More!
  • Crochet Bouquet: Easy Designs for Dozens of Flowers
  • Cool Crochet: 30 Hot, Fun Designs to Crochet and Wear
  • Stitch 'n Bitch Crochet: The Happy Hooker
  • Crocheting For Dummies (For Dummies (Sports & Hobbies))
  • Positively Crochet
  • The Crochet Stitch Bible
  • Crochet One-Skein Wonders: 101 Projects from Crocheters around the World
  • 100 Flowers to Knit & Crochet: A Collection of Beautiful Blooms for Embellishing Garments, Accessories, and More