Start by marking “Isabelle and Alexander” as Want to Read:
Isabelle and Alexander

Isabelle and Alexander

London, 1850

Isabelle Rackham knows she will not marry for love. Though arranged marriages have fallen out of fashion, hers has been settled for some time to combine the upper-middle-class wealth of her father’s coal mines with Alexander Osgood’s prospering Northern country textile mills. Though not a man prone to romantic gestures, Alexander is well-known as an eligible b
Expected publication: May 4th 2021 by Shadow Mountain

To ask other readers questions about Isabelle and Alexander, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Isabelle and Alexander

Start your review of Isabelle and Alexander
Melissa
You know I am shocked I liked this one so much. It is not my normal read. I do love arranged marriage stories but this was not at all what I expected. It is the time of England's industrial age, Think North and South because I did:} He reminded me of Thorton:} This is Isabelle's story and you get it all in her POV. There is a lot of iner-thought and dialogue but for whatever reason I really enjoyed going on this journey of love and loss with her:} ...more
Alisha
Feb 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This was a beautifully written story that kept my interest from start to finish. Fans of Elizabeth Gaskell's classic "North and South" will find plenty to enjoy here, with the reserved cotton mill owner Alexander and his bride by arranged marriage Isabelle.

The book begins with their wedding and Isabelle's move to her husband's home in Manchester. The two seem to have no pathway into each other's minds or hearts. They live amicably but mostly silently, just down the street from Alexander's mill,
Rachel McMillan
Nov 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
There's a lot of catnip for me here in another lovely Shadow Mountain publication.

I loved the slow burn romance, the typical Victorian first person narrative and the deep research into the textile industries of the Industrial Age.

if reading this makes you think all North and South, you won't be far off. It definitely has the cadence: a withdrawn hero, angst and the clash of Northern England and its dreary industry and commerce with the heroine's sun-lit past.

This was my first read by this author
Danielle
Jan 27, 2021 rated it it was amazing
The best stories strike the balance between a satisfying end and still leaving the reader wanting more. Isabelle and Alexander did just that for me. I felt emotionally invested in their story, rooting for them alongside the other characters. The story moves along at a good pace, but never feels rushed. We linger in all the right moments. I really enjoyed reading this book and can see it being one I revisit. I also hope their story continues because I didn't want it to end. Even the side characte ...more
Patti Wolff
Nov 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"Isabelle and Alexander" is an unusual marriage of convenience story. Gentle, gritty, somber or joyful by turns, this emotional and heartfelt tale explores the weighty subjects of a serious paralyzing accident and mental disability. Taking place in 1850, it also has the distinction of focusing on Victorian Manchester, with its burgeoning textile industry, rather than the social whirl of London, with its requisite superficial nobility and silly debutantes.

Complete strangers, Isabelle Rackham of E
Jewel
Nov 16, 2020 rated it liked it

I read this book because of the setting and how it reminded me of North and South.
But I ended up really enjoying it

We read from the POV of Isabelle about her arranged marriage to a handsome Mill owner who is quite and aloof and is too busy to have any real conversation or relationship with his young wife.
Although Isabelle tries hard it is when Alexander tries to connect with Isabelle that things start to change.
He has an accident and is paralyzed and through his recovery that they come to know
Abigail Harris
Dec 18, 2020 rated it liked it
This is an interesting story with intriguing characters, I enjoyed the setting, however, I would have liked to see more than just one point of view.

I do not agree with the publisher's beliefs (which I did not know before I picked up this book) and so only recommend this book to those that have a mature faith.

I voluntarily received and reviewed a complimentary e/copy of this book which I received from the author/publisher. All views expressed are only my honest opinion.
Lucinda
Nov 03, 2020 rated it liked it
3 1/2 stars.

I picked up this book from SM thinking it's by a new author, but it's actually author Becca Wilhite's new pen name. Maybe because it's historical and she's only published contemporary before.

This story is a reverse romance. It starts with a marriage of convenience that Isabelle's father set up. She doesn't know Alexander other than he's very handsome, but she has high hopes for their relationship.

Unfortunately, once they take up residence in Manchester where he lives and has his t
Brittany | chasingmrdarcy
I was really disappointed in this book. The story had a lot of potential, but it just fell flat for me. I think adding chapters from different viewpoints would have given the story more depth. As written, it is really just a first person narrative, and that makes the story really one sided, I also didn’t find the characters relatable or likeable. Overall, not my favorite book, but if you’re looking to read a historical fiction novel, you might still enjoy this one!
Becky
Dec 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is my first Rebecca Anderson book, and I must say, it is absolutely stunning. Rebecca's style of writing is smooth and lyrical, making it so easy to fall into the plot and never want to come out.

Isabelle Rackham is engaged to a man she hardly knows. It is a business arrangement between Alexander Osgood and her father that benefits both men. Alexander gets a worthy woman to squire around and Isabelle's father gets a needed business contact. All is well and good, although the new Osgoods rel
Sarah Monzon
I have a lot of thoughts about this book but am having a hard time wrestling them down and lining the up into anything coherent. Did I like the book? Yes. And more so, I have a feeling the story will stick with me and I’ll be thinking about it even after I’ve read dozens more books since. I really appreciated the uniqueness of the story and having a hero who suffered an accident and became paralyzed and then the further struggle of practical strangers trying to find footing among such uneveb gro ...more
Samantha Jones
Jan 25, 2021 rated it really liked it
*I received a free copy on Netgalley for an honest review*

I have always wanted to read more historical fiction books, and I feel this is a very nice introduction to the genre.

This book was so simple and sweet to read. It follows Isabelle, a young woman in 1850, marrying a man she only knows the name of, and finding a way for them to truly love one another; even if the marriage was for business reasons only (typical of that time).

Isabelle finds herself working through situations she would never h
Happy Reading Watching
Review coming soon...
Moony (The Burglar Baggins) MeowPoff
* I got this eARC in exhange for a honest review from Netgalley *
It was an alright book, i liked the relationship between isabelle and Alexander but the story was a little boring and flat.
Crystal (Books Are Sanity!!!)
Isabelle and Alexander was so different from the usual historical romances I have read. And it is not your run-of-the-mill arranged marriage story either. Alexander and Isabelle were just trying to get to know each other when his accident happened. To me, this story is not about Alexander, this story is Isabelle's. It is her journey, her path, and what she chose in the face of complete adversity. The emotional upheaval she goes through proves her fortitude, strength, and character. Where Alexand ...more
Jenn
Nov 14, 2020 rated it liked it
I wish there was a way to give this book two separate reviews. One would be for the overall story and the other would be for the romance.

Advertised as a Proper Romance this book fell a little flat for me in the romance department. Alec didn't even have a personality until halfway through the book. So if you are looking for a romance that makes you swoon and feel the happy flutters of love this isn't the book for you.

As far as the overall story goes it was well written and interesting. It's alw
Mikkayla
I knew from the moment I read the synopsis of Isabelle and Alexander that I would love it.

This book is a delight. So many women found themselves in arranged marriages in past times. I truly loved this authors take on an arranged marriage. It isn’t the typical marriage, they spend most of their days apart, hardly speaking, essentially strangers in the same home.

Isabelle makes efforts to draw Alexander out in conversation, and Alexander tries to lift her spirits with trips to the country. My tak
Andi
Dec 27, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: on-kindle, arc
I'd like to thank Shadow Mountain for allowing me a proper read and NetGalley being the platform in which provided me the read.

I love clean romances, which come from chemistry, dialogue, and good writing. Arranged marriage stories always are a bit of a hit and miss with me. Mainly because you have to feel that the journey that lead the two characters to get to that level of 'trust' has to be earned.

In this book, while I do think it was earned, I feel though it came through rather poorly. Which
Monique
Isabelle and Alexander by Rebecca Anderson starts with a marriage of convenience between well, Isabelle and Alexander. Isabelle isn’t opposed to the marriage, as she thinks he is very handsome and she can learn to love him, but leaving her family and childhood friend behind is quite a change she didn’t really anticipate. Alexander seems aloof and distant and doesn’t talk to her much, and they settle in a weird and lonely pace. Especially Isabelle is lonely in her new home, but she finds new frie ...more
Maria
Received an Advance Reader Copy in exchange for a fair review
3.5 stars.
The slow, tentative building of affection between the romantic leads in the beginning of “Isabelle and Alexander”, by Rebecca Anderson (Shadow Mountain Publishing), is so lovely as is Alexander’s kindness and discreet courtship.
This is not your typical historical wounded hero, a character afflicted with a spinal cord injury just at the beginning of a marriage of convenience in 1850’s England. I appreciated the novelty of it.
T
Emily Flynn
Jan 27, 2021 rated it it was amazing
How do I love this? Let me count the ways.

I haven't ever read a book quite like this. There was absolutely struggle, but there was redemption and love. There was friction between our couple from the beginning as they didn't meet before their wedding day. Then there was an accident and things changed even more.

Isabelle's experience was that of loneliness and I wouldn't be surprised if Alexander felt that too. The story was strictly from her perspective.

It was interesting in a historical to look
Becca (beccas_bibliophilia)
Isabelle & Alexander is the story of a couple finding love in difficult circumstances, including an arranged marriage. The story tackles many somber topics not usually fleshed out in a regency romance. While I appreciated the effort to take the story in a unique direction, I struggled to invest in the characters and plot. I felt that the story started off slow and I did not feel much chemistry between the two love interests until about halfway into the story. I also found myself wishing for more ...more
Joy
Jan 24, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
*special thanks to Shadow Mountain and NetGalley for the ARC copy in exchange for an honest review!

3 stars
I blame Bridgerton for making me want to read historical romances.
I thought this was wonderfully written!
It’s a slow burn romance, but the build up was nice. I would’ve liked it to have a bit of a quicker pace however. There was a lot of lagging.
It portrayed Alexander’s plight with grace. It felt very raw.
There was a lot of inner monologuing with Isabelle. Too much I felt. She was not m
Amy Bell
Rebecca Anderson's newest novel is a pure romance called Isabelle and Alexander. I enjoyed this novel even though there were a couple of things that would have made it better. The setting was well described and I enjoyed most of the characters. The whole story was told from Isabelle's point of view, which could and likely did read Alexander wrong sometimes. Granted Alexander wasn't known for sharing his feelings until the end of the story. There were a few places that could have used a little mo ...more
Kirsten Pullen
Nov 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received a NetGalley ARC and this is my unbiased review.

I'm a historian by profession, so historical fiction, especially fiction that really digs into questions of gender and class, is my jam. There was so much to like about this book:

We got a really good look at what marriages of convenience really meant, on the ground, for women in the mid-19th C. Isabelle was young, naive, a little shallow, which was exactly what her class expected of women. She married well, in terms of financial security,
Beauty and the Rose
Jan 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing
**ARC kindly provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review**

Where to begin with this?! I adored this book! I thought it handled both the topic of traumatic injury and special needs in such a real and positive way, which i greatly appreciated ❤ i loved the characters, thoroughly enjoyed watching them grow as people and in their relationship. The ending was just perfect ❤😍 i cannot wait to buy this when it releases!
Rachel
Feb 01, 2021 rated it really liked it
Isabelle and Alexander's marriage is arranged to strengthen their families standings and businesses, both hope that eventually their union will lead to friendship and love, but on a trip to the country Alexander is injured and all their progress is halted with new challenges around every corner.

This book was excellent! A fresh storyline, interesting setting and characters you enjoy more and more each page. I'm excited for more books from Rebecca Anderson.
Lorin Grace
Dec 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Rounded up from 3.5 stars

I loved the setting and premiss, however I was able to put this book down for several days and not want to rush back to it.. Which necessitates a lower rating than I would have liked to give the book. The theme of dealing with what life throws at you whether it is a marriage to a handsome yet distant man, a child of different abilities, or an accident. The moral of the story overshadowed the romance, which is not necessarily bad as it showed that love can be a choice, no
Lisa
Jan 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Oh boy, this book took me for a ride! I loved it so much! The interaction between the two main characters drove me mad and I loved it! So much change and humility! It was amazing! This one is a bit heavier than I am used to with Proper Romance, but it didn't bother me one bit! Ms Anderson is very eloquent in her writing and I thoroughly enjoyed the story! ...more
Dee/ bookworm
Nov 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written. This novel lets you feel and grow with the main character, Isabelle, and be a witness as she tries even though the world is stacked against her. I love how Alexander also grows in this book. So enjoyable and well written. Such a diamond in the rough, full of circumstances that are not normally mentioned in others making it more real.

I received an advance reader copy in exchange for a fair review. There opinions are my own.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• A Captain for Caroline Gray
  • Georgana's Secret
  • The Duke Meets His Match
  • His Accidental Bride
  • The Best-Laid Plans
  • Wrong Train to Paris (Romance on the Orient Express, #2)
  • Forever Phoebe
  • Otherwise Engaged
  • Of Sword and Shadow
  • A Hopeful Christmas: A Regency Romance Collection
  • Come, Sweet Day: Thoughts and Poems from Hard Times to Hope: A Writer's Journey
  • In Times of Rain and War
  • The Off Limits Rule (It Happened in Nashville, #1)
  • Court of Swans (The Dericott Tales, #1)
  • Miracle Creek Christmas
  • The Accidental Text
  • The Crown of Rosemund
  • Falling for Your Boss (Love Clichés, #2)
Rebecca Anderson is a high school English teacher by day, writer by night (or very early morning), she loves hiking, Broadway shows, food, books, and movies. She is happily married and a mom to four above-average kids.