Start by marking “Windfall: Unlocking a fossil free future” as Want to Read:
Windfall: Unlocking a fossil free future

Windfall: Unlocking a fossil free future

We’ve had a decade of distraction and inaction on climate change, but what made things go so very wrong in Australia? And what can the rest of the world learn from our mistakes - and opportunities?

In Windfall, renewable energy expert Ketan Joshi examines how wind power inspired the creation of a weird, fabricated disease, and why the speed with which emissions could have b
Published September 2020 by v

Start your review of Windfall: Unlocking a fossil free future
Ceinwen Langley
Sep 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I have a lot of feelings, but they can mostly be summarised as ‘hope,’ ‘fury,’ and ‘an incandescent need to fling every current, former and future member of the LNP into the fucking sun.’
Ben
Sep 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
In 2011-12 I worked for Friends of the Earth (Melbourne) as the renewable energy campaigner, and found my myself attending meetings of bizarre, angry and generally uninformed rural folks with various complaints and fears about wind farms. The standout was the kooky old guy from Waubra who claimed his doctor had told him he had "too much electricity" in his head. Too little something else, I thought.

Revisiting those weird and wonderful times wasn't entirely comfortable, but they happened and des
Andy Wang
Jan 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing
"Unlike the all-encompassing pandemic, climate change is an unfamiliar existential threat. There is no measure of success, such as the invention of a vaccine. It is never solved or unsolved. Rather, it is a formula, where the quantity of action put forth to resolve the problem determines the degree to which life on Earth is spared even greater exposure to climate impacts" - Ketan Joshi

I came in expecting a book covering the technical aspects of the energy transition (e.g., integration of v
Andrew Carr
Aug 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Climate change is often seen as duelling harms: The harm of inaction and a burning climate, and the harm of action causing economic loss. As Ketan Joshi, a young Australian thinker shows in this engaging and passionate book, such a picture is simply wrong.

Joshi, an expert in renewable energy, argues that though we are far from where we need to be on climate, the technological and local progress we have made is remarkable and a cause for optimism. What's more, as the trends build upon each other,
S P
Nov 22, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: climate-change
The book is strongest when recounting the author's story living the climate wars in the 2010s at a renewable energy producer and in talking about the battles over wind turbines. The final chapter smashing climate denialists is gratifying too. Especially so as I'd almost put the book down after reading the bleak description of our current predicament in the very first section!

The book feels weakest in covering the politics of that era - the whole chapter on Howard-Rudd-Gillard-Abbott-Turnbull fel
Underground Writers
This review was first published on the Underground Writers website here: http://underground-writers.org/review...

‘Australia’s new decade has opened with the static anxiety of helplessness as the dual disasters of fire and disease dominated our hearts, and so it is more vital than ever to know we can fight to control our fate.’

Jess G
Nov 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Review initially published for Underground Writers. You can read it at https://www.patreon.com/posts/review-...

I don’t usually get super excited about non-fiction books, but when science and technology journalist Ketan Joshi announced that his debut book Windfall was coming out I was
Gab
Jan 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This book balances conviction with righteous anger at the misinformation and public manipulation that stands in the way of our prosperous renewable energy future.

On Australian coal exports and the lobbying industry that protects their sanctity, he sets out the 'terrible spiral of reliance, in which the country's wealth is permanently locked to the country's destruction.'

Let Joshi's infuriated optimism guide your thinking and actions in relation to the future of the planet, and all the human and
Stuart Robinson
Mar 10, 2021 rated it really liked it
Interesting read, even if only for the summarisation of the wasted decade in Australia between 2010-2020.

Offers a glimmer of hope, but one I wouldn't bet the house on.
Joshua Mckinnon

• All Our Shimmering Skies
  • The Carbon Club
  • Reset: Restoring Australia after the Great Crash of 2020
  • The Happiest Man on Earth
  • Phosphorescence: On Awe, Wonder and Things That Sustain You When the World Goes Dark
  • The Dictionary of Lost Words
  • Pour Me: A Life
  • You Can Be a Stock Market Genius: Uncover the Secret Hiding Places of Stock Market Profits
  • Uncle Dysfunctional
  • The Innovation Stack: Building an Unbeatable Business One Crazy Idea at a Time
  • To America with Love
  • Range: Why Generalists Triumph in a Specialized World
  • Invisible Women: Data Bias in a World Designed for Men
  • Rogue Protocol (The Murderbot Diaries, #3)
  • Boy Swallows Universe
  • How Labour Built Neoliberalism: Australia's Accord, the Labour Movement and the Neoliberal Project
  • Utopia for Realists: How We Can Build the Ideal World
Ketan Joshi is the author of the ‘Three Men on Motorcycles’ series - a humorous travel-adventure series about him and his friends - the ‘Amigos’- riding their Royal Enfield motorcycles across far-flung parts of India - Ladakh, Spiti, Coorg, Kishtawar, Killar, Saurashtra, Rajasthan, etc.

Before he got into motorcycle touring, he was a backpacker and trekker- having travelled all across India and ne

News & Interviews

It's been a great summer for book clubs on Goodreads. There's nothing better than talking about books—members have been devouring...