Start by marking “L’Origine: The Secret Life of the World’s Most Erotic Masterpiece” as Want to Read:
L’Origine: The Secret Life of the World’s Most Erotic Masterpiece

L’Origine: The Secret Life of the World’s Most Erotic Masterpiece

The riveting odyssey of one of the world's most scandalous works of art.

In 1866, maverick French artist Gustave Courbet painted one of the most iconic images in the history of art: a sexually explicit portrait of a woman's exposed genitals. Audaciously titled L'Origine du monde (The Origin of the World), the scandalous painting was kept hidden for a century and a half. Tod
Published July 28th 2020 by Little French Girl Press

To ask other readers questions about L’Origine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about L’Origine

Start your review of L’Origine: The Secret Life of the World’s Most Erotic Masterpiece
Erin
Interview with the author: https://historicalfictionreader.blogs...

Find this and other reviews at: https://historicalfictionreader.blogs...

Historical fiction is a niche genre that is heavily influenced by market trends. I appreciate this reality, but as a devoted genre reader, I crave diverse subject matter and often find myself drawn to off-trend novels. Books with unique content get under my skin and pique my imagination every time, a fact which likely explains my interest in Lilianne Milgrom’
Rosaline (Rosaline's Rolls & Scrolls)
Wowowowowowow. Wow.
Did not expect to love the book this much.
Review to come...
Richard
Sep 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
I had a brief affair with art history as a subject. I say brief it lasted one lecture. But no education is wasted. It gave me a fresh appreciation of art; a little more understanding and I have kept an open mind since. A recent TV show uncovering “lost” masterpieces fascinated me. Just how long is the road to authenticate any works revealed in this way and the importance of provenance.
So, this book had all the basic ingredients. A scandalous piece of art, fashioned in 1866, decades ahead of tren
Drema Drudge
Aug 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
When Lilianne Milgrom contacted me about reviewing her novel, L’Origine, I was astonished at the perfect fit of subject matter and time period with my sensibilities. A mutual acquaintance steered her my way, and I couldn’t wait to receive and read Milgrom’s book. I was right to anticipate it.

In 1866 Gustave Courbet painted one of the most provocative paintings ever painted, L’Origine du monde (The Origin of the World). The painting depicts a breast-down view of a faceless, naked woman with splay
Catherine Hamilton
L’Origine – a novel
By Lilianne Milgrom
Memoir meets historical fiction, meets art history.

The author is a quasi-visiting artist in residence when the story opens. She has taken a cottage on the outskirts of Paris, which was offered to her by a certain Madame G. On her first day at the Orsay Museum, Milgrom requested permission to become a copyist for a one of the famous paintings in the collection.

It wasn’t Water Lilies by Monet or even Irises by Vincent Van Gogh. Milgrom had become smitten w
Kyle Roesler
Aug 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great Integration of Fiction and Non:
Let me say up front, I really enjoyed the historical fiction of this book, following a famous and infamous painting and is owners through 150 years of European history. However, that was not my favorite part of the book. My favorites part is the introduction, where the author tells the true story of how she copied the painting and how it became an object of fascination for her. That story is fantastic, all by itself. I also thoroughly enjoyed seeing the autho
Jodi
Aug 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Entertaining and interesting, was a bit slow in the middle, glad I read it. I will certainly make a stop at L’Origine de monde with a different perspective the next time I’m in Paris. Can’t wait!!
Louise Gray
Oct 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a fascinating book on a number of levels. It’s an interesting recounting of the history of a particular piece of art - worth a read just for that, when you consider the paths this picture has travelled. It’s a well written story, even if it was not based in fact. And, perhaps most of all, it is a challenging reflection on society’s relationship with the female body and the taboos with which it is associated. This book will really make you think about your own attitudes and biases. It wil ...more
Kenzie
Aug 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
L'Origine: The Secret Life of the World's Most Erotic Masterpiece is a masterpiece in itself. The book is so intelligently written, the story flows seamlessly and the intrigue of this controversial painting had me gripped to the last page. Highly recommend. Bravo Lilianne!
Marlene Phiilips

• Journeyman
  • Raphael, Painter in Rome
  • Chasing Salomé: A Novel of 1920s Hollywood
  • In the Dark
  • A Crime in the Family: A World War II Secret Buried in Silence--and My Search for the Truth
  • Above the Bay of Angels
  • Spring Flowers, Spring Frost
  • The Women of Chateau Lafayette
  • The Rebel Nun
  • The Gifts of Imperfection
Paris-born LILIANNE MILGROM is an internationally acclaimed artist and #1 Best Selling author. She lives with her husband in the greater Washington, DC, area and exhibits her artwork around the world. Lilianne is the recipient of multiple art awards and is a published writer on the arts.
In 2011, she became the first authorized copyist of Gustave Courbet’s controversial painting 'L’Origine du Mond