Start by marking “Nowhere Near Goodbye” as Want to Read:
Nowhere Near Goodbye

Nowhere Near Goodbye

A mother’s love vs. a doctor’s oath.

Oncologist Emma Blake has dedicated her life to finding a cure for a rare brain cancer. Twenty-five years ago, Emma’s childhood friend Kate died of glioblastoma, and Emma vowed to annihilate the deadly disease. Now, Kate’s father, Ned, is pushing her to work harder to fulfill that promise.

When Emma discovers she’s pregnant, she’s torn be
Published August 4th 2020 by Red Adept Publishing, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Nowhere Near Goodbye, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nowhere Near Goodbye

Start your review of Nowhere Near Goodbye
Nursebookie
Aug 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Nowhere Near Goodbye is a profound and poignant debut that addressed topics close to my heart as a nurse working with patients in the Oncology ward.

In this heart wrenching story, Emma a successful Neuro Oncologist vows to find the cure for what took her childhood friends’ life. the story is about a strong woman faced with tough choices between a successful career and a family.

This wonderfully written women’s fiction is written with such grace and compassion. A thought-provoking and emotional r
Dawnny
Aug 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Emma Blake is a neuro-oncologist. She lost her childhood friend to a rare brain cancer and dedicated her life to finding a cure. When Emma has a child she is torn between being a mother and continuing her work. The choices that weigh heavily on women and finding the balance between the two. This was emotional and broke my heart. My father had a rare brain tumor so I really felt every bit of this. A compelling and powerful debut.

Dawnny Ruby
Novels N Latte
Hudson Valley NY
Susan Peterson
Aug 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Emma’s life has been shaped by the tragic loss of her best friend when they were still children. Years later, Emma is a successful neuro-oncologist, desperately trying to find a cure for the disease that took away her friend. When she becomes a mother to her miracle baby, Emma is torn between her new daughter, her marriage and her career. This is an extremely compelling, heart-wrenching novel, with deep, profound layers of grief, loss, hope, and forgiveness. My heart was broken, then hopeful, th ...more
Natalie Jenner
Jul 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This debut novel poignantly address the choices women make—what it costs them, what it saves. NOWHERE NEAR GOODBYE is the emotional, yet hopeful, journey of motherhood and second chances. An uplifting, relatable and resonant read.
Rebecca Hodge
Jul 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Trapped between the tragedy of her past and the challenges of her present, pulled by the demands of her profession and the desires of her heart, Emma Blake is a character not soon forgotten. NOWHERE NEAR GOODBYE is Emma’s story, told with exceptional honesty and heart. Meticulously written, with powerful characters, this debut novel delves into friendship and family, deception and forgiveness, ultimately leading the reader to an emotional but satifying conclusion. Fans of realistic Women’s Fict ...more
Jennifer Klepper
Jul 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Barbara Conrey asks what happens when a doctor’s devotion to finding a cure for cancer competes against the expectations of motherhood. The answer is a story I will never forget. Emotional, heartbreaking, and hopeful, "Never Say Goodbye" is an exciting debut in women’s fiction. ...more
Samantha Bailey
Aug 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written, captivating, and raw, NOWHERE NEAR GOODBYE is an outstanding debut that tackles the push and pull between motherhood and career. This stunning, powerful novel will shatter your heart and put it back together piece by piece. I received an ARC.
Sara T.
Aug 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
NOTE: I usually try to avoid spoilers in my reviews, but I found it hard to do with this book. I’ll post spoiler-free reviews on Goodreads and Amazon, but I’m going to indulge in some analysis here. If you don’t want to be spoiled for what is a WONDERFUL book, please avoid the marked section!

I seem to be reading a lot of really hard books lately. While I try to read uplifting and delightful romances, comedies, and seat-of-your-pant action, fantasy, and science fiction, I keep being drawn to seri
Suanne
Jul 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Nowhere Near Goodbye is Barbara Conrey’s debut novel. It delves deeply into the age-old challenge women face: career versus family. I read this book because it looks at some of the same choices I, as a physician, had to make.

When Emma Blake was eleven years old, her best friend, Kate, died of a brain tumor, a glioblastoma. Unable to save Kate, Emma vows to spend her life combatting that tumor. Emma has spent years training as a surgeon and an oncologist. A childhood accident left her unable to h
Samantha Verant
Jul 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Conrey’s NOWHERE NEAR GOODBYE is a deeply moving novel about family, how the past shapes us, and, ultimately forgiveness. Told with powerful prose, the author brings us into the lives of the richly developed characters with tenderness while bringing us on a heart-filled journey of love, loss, and the choices we make. Fierce and poignant, readers who love women’s fiction and true-to-life stories should not miss this stunning debut.
Lainey Cameron
Jul 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The age-old challenge of career versus family. But what if you’re a woman whose career means saving the lives only you can, and sacrificing time with those you love is a price you're willing to pay?

Nowhere Near Goodbye examines the fraught balance of love and family versus drive and life purpose. Can women ever reconcile those choices and find peace in the necessary sacrifices, or forgive themselves for choosing not putting family first? And if you make that decision, is there space in the unive
Renee Anderson
Aug 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Motherhood or career. In today's world so many women are faced with that choice.

Barbara Conrey's protagonist, Emma, is faced with just that choice. Does she fulfill the promise made to her childhood friend Kate--to find a cure for GBM. Or does she devote her time to the child she brought into this world. Her struggle is real and pulls at your heart. Beautifully written. A must read.
Kathryn Barrett
Aug 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Nowhere Near Goodbye is a debut novel that explores a woman's choices. A dedicated cancer researcher, Emma Blake is overjoyed to find out she is expecting a child. But when her career, her child, and her love for her childhood friend, Kate, are in conflict, Emma makes a fateful decision that changes her life. Is it possible for a woman to have it all? There are no easy answers, as Emma discovers.

Emma is an admirable, yet flawed character, who the reader grows to love and root for as she desperat
Susan Haught
Oct 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I enjoy a story that tackles the hard reality of human behavior. Sometimes the bond between mother and child are there, but life and dreams and a vicious desire to make a mark in the world to save others is too powerful to ignore. This is real life. This is real life at its hardest--balancing deep desires and lifelong ambition and facing the fact that sometimes the two don't mix.

Ms. Conrey tackles this hard reality with subtle emotion, clues to Emma's background that create her unique outlook,
Danielle
Aug 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing

This book was not an easy read, especially for someone whose friend lost their daughter at a young age from brain cancer. But it seemed as though the author was right there holding my hand, saying it would be okay and we would get thru it together.
Emma is a pediatric oncologist whose friend Kate passed away when their kids from brain cancer. Emma becomes obsessed with finding a cure, and that obsession overtakes her when she becomes pregnant and even more so after she has her baby.
I don’t want t
Amy Impellizzeri
Aug 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A poignant, heartstring-pulling tale about a mother who gives up everything to research a cure for a disease that took her childhood friend. With depth and compassion, Conrey tells a story of sacrifice and loss and hope.
Robin Unger
Aug 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I opened the ebook on it’s release date and couldn’t put it down. It’s that captivating!!!!! Many surprising twists. I immediately became invested in each character as they were introduced, wanting to know more. Pick up this book ~ You won’t regret it :)
Kayleigh 2babesandabookshelf
Aug 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Wow.wow.wow.

This book is TOUGH on all levels and was so heartbreaking, but important to read. This will not be for the faint of heart and I would like to be upfront about some of the difficult topics covered including childhood cancer and unwanted pregnancy. I didn't read the description of the book going into this, so I wasn't mentally prepared to read it, but loved it nonetheless.

Emma is an incredibly real, raw and relatable character which can be difficult to capture correctly in some novels,
Sherri Leimkuhler
Aug 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
In her debut novel, Nowhere Near Goodbye, Conrey quickly and effectively draws readers into a world that many parents can relate to: career versus family, and how to balance the two.

And, in Emma Blake, Conrey delivers a main character readers can root for and commiserate with as we follow Emma through a heart-wrenching journey full of sacrifices and choices no parent would want to make.

With prose that is heartfelt and concise, and scenarios that are both tragic and hopeful, Nowhere Near Goodby
Linda Zagon
Aug 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Barbara Conrey, the author of "Nowhere Near Goodbye" has written a compelling, intriguing, intense, emotional, and memorable novel.  The genres for this novel are domestic fiction, women's fiction, and contemporary fiction. The story takes place in both the present and twenty-five years ago, when the protagonist, Emma Blake's child-hood friend Kate died from brain cancer. The author describes her dramatic cast of characters as complicated and complex. There are secrets, betrayals, and promises. ...more
Vincent Carbone
Aug 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Nowhere Near Goodbye is a wonderfully written book about choices that people make and their consequences. Emma lost her friend to cancer and grows up trying to fulfill a promise to find a cure. However even though she was told she could not have children after a car accident when she was young, she finds herself pregnant and becoming a mother has put her at odds with her own career path and a promise made long ago. It's beautifully written novel by Ms. Conrey. She gives gives Emma and Tim (her h ...more
Barbara
Aug 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing

Nowhere Near Goodbye will draw you in & keep you reading until the end, then you will wish the story didn’t end. Great character development & storyline. Emma is the woman you love/dislike throughout the book. She faced the struggle that working women often face - balancing family & career. Tim is the man every woman wants to marry making it harder to understand Emma’s choices. As a reader I felt her conflict & wondered what I would have done if I was Emma. Having finished the book I can’t help
Susan Gromis
Aug 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What would you give up to chase your obsession?

Kate and Emma are inseparable childhood friends, until Kate passed away from GBM. Emma makes a promise to Kate's father, Ned, who is a researcher for GBM, that she will become a doctor's that can cure GBM. Ned becomes Emma's mentor, but his obsession with curing the disease will set in motion events that will destroy Emma's family life. Can Emma find her life balance before it is too late and before she loses everything dear to her?
Melony
Aug 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An outstanding debut by Barbara Conrey gives us a look into the struggles and emotions new mothers face when driven by a career goal. But in this, book, it's so much more than just a career goal and you'll find that out as the story unfolds. The author takes us along Emma's journey from childhood emotional trauma to a parent's worst nightmare with vulnerability, honesty, and raw humanity. Nowhere Near Goodbye is a page-turner that had me reading late into the night, and I absolutely loved the en ...more
Lisa Stanford
Great debut

This was a good story. The characters drew me in from the very beginning. I felt Emma’s struggle between family and work. I was drawn in to the struggle to find a cure for glioblastoma. I ended up reading it in one long night. Just couldn’t put it down!
Noor
✨4.5/5 ✨

Emotional, heartbreaking, and hopeful, NOWHERE NEAR GOODBYE is an EXCITING DEBUT, inspired from real life, in WOMEN'S FICTION.

The choices we make..
The choices we regret....
______________
🥳Happy Pub Day🎉
Available for INR 223/- @amazonkindle

251 pages, 54 chapters.

____________
Nowhere Near Goodbye is a story of Family, Failure, and Second Chances..

It is FABULOUSLY WRITTEN, the language is so fresh & crisp, that there is NOT A SINGLE DULL MOMENT IN THE ENTIRE READ‼️
___________
🦉🦉The STORYLINE:
Shalini
Sep 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
An extremely compelling and poignant read where author Barbara Conrey has left a slice of her heart in the words of the story. Relationships had never come so close to a sacrificial analysis as this book saw them. Emotions were just buried under the surface, they were vast and complex.

Life is never linear, is it?

Emma and Kate were best of friends. Kate died of a brain tumor, and Emma vowed to find a cure for it. Kate’s father Ned too pushed Emma to excel at the cost of her family life. Then Emma
Patricia McAlexander
Aug 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This novel treats the conflict between women’s desire to marry and raise a family and their ambition to have a meaningful, satisfying career. In recent decades more women are entering demanding careers—as doctors, lawyers, politicians, scholars. Then the balance gets harder. I remember when I was getting my PhD during the height of the feminist movement, a woman professor spent a whole lecture on the subject, with her conclusion being: if a woman wants a real career, she should not marry and hav ...more
Sylvia Dominick
Sep 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My review of Nowhere Near Goodbye by Barbara Conrey

Nowhere Near Goodbye by Barbara Conrey is a powerful, thought -provoking book that shouldn't be missed by any of my reading friends! Wow!
I loved the childhood friendship between Kate and Emma.....true friends forever are hard to find!
As an adult, there were times when I felt like grabbing Emma's shoulders and shaking her until her teeth rattled! "Time waits for no man". I haven't a clue where that quite came from, but it isn't mine. I feel like
Jackie
Aug 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This beautifully written novel is about one woman’s tragic loss that she dedicated her life to helping others not suffer from bit in doing so she must juggle not just a extremely hard and at times painful career with her own families needs which can feel to her she has nothing left to give. A profound and heartbreaking story that many can relate to especially as a working mother. A must read I highly recommend and look forward to reading books by this author in the future!
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• When Robins Appear
  • What's Left Untold
  • Daughters of the Night Sky
  • The Exit Strategy
  • Uncovered: How I Left Hasidic Life and Finally Came Home
  • The Secret French Recipes of Sophie Valroux
  • Native Stranger (Lazare Family Saga #3)
  • The Wright Sister
  • Sweet Danger (Albert Campion Mystery, #5)
  • Relative Malice (Detective Kendall Halsrud #1)
  • Fast Girls: A Novel of the 1936 Women's Olympic Team
  • Cowboy Come Home  (Once Upon a Time in Texas #2)
  • Meet You in the Middle
  • The Sound of Wings
  • Guns Under the Bed: Memories of a Young Revolutionary
  • After Kilimanjaro
  • Whitsunday Dawn
  • My Heart Before You
Barbara Conrey worked in the health care industry for many years before opting for an early retirement, which lasted all of three months. She then accepted a position in finance, for which she had absolutely no background, and four years later, she decided to write a book. But not about finance.
Travel is her passion, along with reading, writing, hiking, and exploring antique shops. Her greatest lo