Start by marking “Hearth Fires (The Haunted #1)” as Want to Read:
Hearth Fires (The Haunted #1)

Hearth Fires

(The Haunted #1)

HEARTH FIRES (The Haunted, Book 1) is now available on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Kobo and many more of your favorite booksellers!

Enjoy an eclectic, and imaginative collection of six, original, short stories that share one central theme, the mysterious Ouija board with a nod to the troubled spirits that guide The Oracle. Take a journey through the Deep South, then head to the
Published September 7th 2020 by Black Calyx Books

To ask other readers questions about Hearth Fires, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hearth Fires

Start your review of Hearth Fires (The Haunted #1)
Kelly Miller
Sep 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Authors Barton and Krall have put together a charmingly eerie collection of stories. Each of them celebrates autumn and a different location around the world in a spooky and compelling way. They even included a fabulous section of recipes to enjoy as a bonus. I loved this collection and would recommend it to any fan of ghostly tales!
Amy Reade
Sep 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has everything a Halloween book should have: spooky stories, haunted places, lots and lots of atmosphere, and more than a few *gasp* moments.

Bibiana Krall and Veronica Cline Barton have teamed up to provide six stories that readers will love to experience either alone or out loud around a campfire. They're perfect for fall, when shadows begin to deepen in the early evening and there's a chill in the air that may or may not be weather-related. The stories all have a Ouija board theme, a
Jena Henry
Aug 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Are you ready to encounter the supernatural, the mystical and magical? Do you sense the moody and evocative cover of Hearth Fires beckoning you? Well-known and talented authors Bibiana Krall and Veronica Cline Barton have placed their hands on the planchette of their Ouija Board and have asked the Spirits to speak to us through this collection.

I suggest you read these six original stories as if you are part of one of my favorite scenes in the book- two friends, sipping Scotch, (perhaps not absin
E. Denise Billups
Hearth Fires, a thrilling supernatural anthology by authors Bibiana Krall and Veronica Cline Barton, is just in time for the Halloween season. I love how each story takes place in several regions with a running Ouija Board theme, and there’s so much more to these six short stories.

Culinary Coterie (Veronica Cline Barton): Ancestral secrets, legacies, and a special blend of herbs come with a caveat when not heeded, breeding frightful repercussions.

The Window (Bibiana Krall): A beautiful ghost ris
Gayle
Aug 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Is there such a thing as lady-like horror? I think I'm in love! These short stories would make a binge worthy TV series! ...more
Brenda Guiton
Nov 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

When I first learned that Veronica Cline Barton & Bibiana Krall had collaborated in producing a book of short stories with a Halloween theme, I was delighted. Having read several of their books, and knowing them both to be consummate writers, I was curious to see what they had come up with.
Written in her inimitable style and flair for paranormal tales, Bibiana Krall’s contribution to Hearthfires was everything I expected – stories evoking ghostly spectres and eerily atmospheric scenes that fir
Cynthia Raleigh
Sep 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved every one of these six stories! It sounds cliché but my only regret was when the book was finished. Each story possessed a vibe unique from the others. Stories by the authors, Veronica Cline-Barton and Bibiana Krall, alternate, providing a stream of not only a different type of story but style. Old houses, cottages, and the outdoors all offer a different kind of fear. The common thread is a Ouija board, woven into the fabric of each tale.

Veronica started the collection off with the spic
Mark Schultz
Oct 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love a good, thrilling, scary story as much as the next person. I don’t like a lot of blood and gore. Justice delivered is a favorite theme of mine. Everyone wants to see the bad guy get what’s coming to him.
These stories deliver plenty of the above. They are scary and creepy in turn, with a bit of humor on the side. The intersection of our modern world with the spirit world makes for frightening encounters.
The descriptions of Big Sur match my memories and enhanced my enjoyment.
These stories
SW
Oct 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book so much that I purchased three copies. Each story is filled with mystery and intrigue that is full of spice and many unexpected twists and turns. Each story has a flare of the classic show The Twilight Zone. Like the stories told in the The Twilight Zone, each of these stories has a surprise ending. I could absolutely see this book made into an anthology film. If you like stories that leave you with chills that vibrate up your spine, this is a must read for you!!!
Sheila Patel
Oct 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great collection of short stories by Bibiana Krall and Veronica Cline Barton.
I really enjoyed these stories, ideal for this time of year when it's getting cold and dark early.
Quite a range of tales, ranging from creepy grannies, things lurking in the shadows, to spells in salem, to a nanny in Scotland.
Well written, wonderful settings from Savannah to Paris, highly recommend this collection, but leave a light on!
JJ Dunaway
Sep 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An intriguing collection of short horror stories. Each story unique but with an odd theme for each more than scary. The Ireland Nanny story and the Herbs and Spices voodoo story were my favorites among the collection.
Cathleen Maza
Sep 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you're a fan of frightening tales with some depth to them, then Hearth Fires is for you. This twisted anthology of six stories by authors Bibiana Krall and Veronica Cline Barton is a treasure within a treasure. Not only will you get the chills from these haunting tales, but each one leaves readers with more than a little something to think about. Each of the stories is loosely connected by the image of an Ouija Board in them. This idea definitely adds to the intrigue for readers and kudos to ...more
Joan
Nov 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A couple great authors got together and created a book of short stories. 📚 I love short stories! Who doesn’t, right? I enjoyed each one and I do believe the book cover is fabulous! Great book for this time of year! Thanks ladies! 🌗👀👻💀
Bibiana Krall
Jul 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Veronica Barton
Jul 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Leslie Smith
Anna Casament Arrigo
Oct 10, 2020
Derek R.
Jan 13, 2021

• Ghouls' Night Out (The Juniper Junction Holiday Mystery Series Book 4)
  • Aunt Sheila's Pandemic Diary
  • Double Trouble: Showtime at Castlewood Manor (My American Almost-Royal Cousin Series #5)
  • Cape Menace: A Cape May Historical Mystery
  • The Magic Vodka Wardrobe (Book #5)
  • The Crown for Castlewood Manor (My American Almost-Royal Cousin Series, #1)
  • Beneath the Poison Tree
  • Children (The Ten Worlds, #1)
  • One by One
  • The House Party
  • Troubled Blood (Cormoran Strike, #5)
  • Adventures in Mythopoeia
  • Invader Within: Year One of the War (Sky Knights #2)
  • To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
  • Horse Crazy: The Story of a Woman and a World in Love with an Animal
  • The Complete Sherlock Holmes
  • Moby Dick (Graphic Classics)
  • The Lions of Fifth Avenue
Bibiana Krall is an American novelist and short story writer. She's a world traveler, mom, wife, dreamer and humanist, who writes suspenseful fiction created especially for women. Intense imagery, sensory details and flawed heroines await your reading pleasure. Enjoy novels, short fiction, audio books, and a writing blog. Everything is designed to keep you engaged and wanting more! https://www.bib ...more

News & Interviews