Start by marking “Riley Thorn and the Dead Guy Next Door (Riley Thorn, #1)” as Want to Read:
Riley Thorn and the Dead Guy Next Door (Riley Thorn, #1)

Riley Thorn and the Dead Guy Next Door

(Riley Thorn #1)

4.51  ·  Rating details ·  8,881 ratings  ·  1,430 reviews
Length: 14 hrs and 56 mins

A nice, normal life. Is that too much to ask? For Riley Thorn it is. Divorced. Broke. Living with a pack of elderly roommates. And those hallucinations she’s diligently ignoring? Her tarot card-dealing mom is convinced they’re clairvoyant visions.

Just when things can’t get worse, a so-hot-it-should-be-illegal private investigator shows up on her d
Published August 27th 2020 by That's What She Said Publishing

·  8,881 ratings  ·  1,430 reviews

Start your review of Riley Thorn and the Dead Guy Next Door (Riley Thorn, #1)
Wendy'sThoughts
Jul 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lucy Score Fans, Romance
4.5 A Helluva Ride Stars
* * * * 1/2 March 18, 2021-UPDATE, I get to say I told you so, "Lucy Score mastered her world. She created a group of people who will stay with you. You will want to know more and follow their shenanigans...because I promise, with this group, oh, there will be more to come."
Ms. Lucy is actively writing Riley Thorn 2 (coming this summer!) at the beach right now per her newsletter.

Spoiler Free

Bravery comes in all sorts of forms. It can be standing up to a bully, it can be
Jacob Proffitt
I struggled getting through this. A lot of that is the stupid romance where the only impediment is that both leads have an irrational negative motivation* so they're both all "oh, no we can't possibly" when there isn't really anything at all holding them back. I thought for a while that Nick might have some tragic reason in his past, but that phizzed out hard.

And the plot is kind of dumb, too. I mean, Riley is not just a psychic, she's a psychic with extremely clear and on-point visions and impu
Corina
Sep 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: rom-com, funny
This was one hilarious ride!!!

If you need something adorable and funny for in-between heavier books, this one has you covered...

full review to come

___________________________________

I received a copy of this book from the publisher for free in exchange for an honest review. My opinions have not been influenced by the publisher or the author.

Find more reviews and book recommendations on my blog
Follow me on Bookstagram
Stacey is Sassy
I loved the second half…

How can two halves of a story be so different?

Maybe I’m still struggling with my Covid-19 reading slump?
Maybe I had a personality switch?
Maybe the characters had a personality switch?
Maybe it was too long?
Maybe the first half was too long, and the second half was short? (KIDDING!)
Maybe it was the old… need to get to know this new world and that takes time thingamajiggy?

Honestly, I think it was all those things. I absolutely LOVED the second half of Riley Thorn and the De
Nicola
Feb 01, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2021-reads, ku-reads
Can’t deny, the first 30% of this was a bit slow going, but if ever there were proof that perseverance pays off, this book is it and I went from meh to bloody loving it. I’m totally in the camp that needs more Riley Thorn in her life.

Anne OK
Aug 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
5 of the “Funnest” Stars Ever

As you begin to read, it won’t take long before you’ll know with certainty that you’ve hit the prime mother lode. With its exceptionally unique and amazing combination of “reluctant psychic romantic comedy” – and a layer of suspense -- this one is pure gold!

Certainly nothing like my usual – but so much more than I ever expected, and thankfully I had the good sense to one-click. Lucy Score definitely scores bigly in taking rom-com to a whole other level. Oh my gosh –
Lauren
Sep 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

“Think of it as an adventure,” he advised. “And if you’re a good girl, I’ll buy you dinner and snacks.” “I do like snacks,” she mused.”

This book was such a good time.

Riley Thorn is divorced, living with a bunch of elderly people and attempting to suppress her physic abilities. When her neighbour mysteriously turns up dead after her vision of the event she teams up with sexy private investigator Nick Santiago to discover who exactly murdered the slimy man from across the hall.

Th
Gretchen  (About That Story)
Holy hysterical Batman! This was so freaking FUN to read! I can't even tell you how many times I laughed out loud! I loved all the characters, the mystery, and this entertaining and crazy world. It was just what I needed!

This story was outrageously entertaining and it had me laughing and smiling and on the edge of my seat as the mystery played out and Riley and Nick came together. Riley was so fun and quirky and Nick's incredibly charming with a rebel vibe happening. I loved their attraction and
Deanna
Wow! This is a different kind of book than what I am used to reading from Lucy Score. Don’t get me wrong, it has all of what we love from Lucy, but much much more!

Riley is a reluctant psychic. She is one in a long line of psychics, but she doesn’t want to be one. She fights it and soon learns that fighting won’t stop the visions from happening. When Riley has a vision of her neighbor getting killed, she starts to get worried that all her visions might be right.

Nick is a “by the seat of your pan
Carol (StarAngel's Reviews) Allen
4.5 Stars

I had so much fun reading this story of Riley and Nick! It had a bunch of everything thrown in and wrapped up nicely into a fantastic book!

This author had me laughing with every page I turned and the secondary characters were just as important and lovable.
Diana Johnston
Oct 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant

Brilliant, funny, romantic, adorable... I can go on and on but really just read the book!! It’s like freaking great!
Ivy Deluca
description
Quick synopsis: Riley Thorn is a reluctant psychic whose living a bit of a Schleprock existence, desperately wishing she was normal. Well, if wishes were horses, she’d still be out of luck. Anyhoodle, Riley has a vision of a murder and finds herself embroiled in a tale of corruption, greed, blackmail, and murder - plus vigilante oldens and spite cows. *shrugs* Nick Santiago is a PI whose meet-cute with Riley intrigues and challenges his forever bachelor mentality, but first, they have to make it
CzekMart
Aug 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
We meet Riley at a very low point in her life - recently divorced and exploited by her ex-husband, saddled with a dead-end job and renting a room in “retirement” flophouse. Riley had been gifted with the ability of clairvoyance, she comes from a long line of psychics and desperately wishes to be just “normal”.
When she has a vision of her elderly neighbor being murdered, she battles with her conscience and warns the police.
Enter Nick Santiago, retired cop, now PI, who likes to set his own hours,
Briana B.
Oct 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
YES! YES! YES! Give me more Riley Throne! Every character is this book is a hoot and I need more soon!

Riley, the reluctant psychic, is newly divorced and living in an old mansion that is turned into what can only be described at best as mini apartments that is filled with roommates that are in the senior citizens category. On top of that, she is working a boring and bleak job as a proofreader for a company that is less than stellar.

One night, she receives a peak into the future thanks to her fr
Leanne
Aug 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow. This book was not like the books I have come to expect from Lucy Score. It is very different and oh so good! There is so much happening in this book that I had to read it twice! What could I mean by so much happening?
This book has tacos, psychics, wacky senior citizens, private investigators, good cops, tarot readings, car chases, vigilantes, bad cops, visions, blackmail, car crashes, ninjas, Richard Nixon and Elsa from frozen. It also has an obnoxious ex, a pile of waitresses, a fire, a s
Payton Box
Aug 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow, I don't even have the words to describe how awesome this book is! This book is probably one of the most original books I've ever read and I so hope there is more of Riley and Nick.

Riley is hilarious and watching her be guided on her spiritual journey while also dealing with her dead neighbor next door was hilarious! This book had a huge twist on psychics and its what kept the book fresh and hilarious! This book felt more mystery with romance sprinkled in, but I loved watching Nick and Rile
Jenny
Aug 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Strap yourself in for this adventure! Riley is a reluctant physic who has a physic vision of a murder, namely the guy next door. We do actually meet the guy next door. That being said, this book is Riley’s adventure as well as her learning to control her spirit guides that provide her visions. So, enter a cast of great character, not one is a flat character, all of them add to this story!

Nick’s a former Harrisburg police officer, now a private eye who runs his own business. He embarks on this a
Mina
May 22, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unnecessarily long but mildly enjoyable
The Romantic Rush Blog
A “reluctant psychic romantic comedy”- oh my, what a fun and unique story from one of my go to feel good authors. This story is just chock full of Lucy Score charm, but with a paranormal twist. Unique characters (including our reluctant psychic heroine), a heartfelt but quirky family, a deliciously swoony and sexy private investigator hero, and all sorts of comedic relief in the form of a buffet of delightful side characters- including a bevy of hilarious octogenarians.

Our reluctant psychic Ri
Abby Garza
Aug 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Love, Comedy & Adventure 💕

Lucy freaking Score! She did it again y'all 😁. This book takes it to a whole new level for me. Romance, comedy, mystery, and suspense...all my favorites rolled in one. And although this was slightly different than other Lucy books, in a sense it was the same as it was just as good. And ok maybe a tiny bit better than all her other books (for me) because it was different. Does that make sense? It had adventure and a theme that called to my heart. I have a background in c
Liz
This was one of the longest books I've read in 2020 but it was a nice break from my typical dark, angsty eroticas. Rom-com at its finest! ...more
Carolyn
Aug 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Buckle up... it’s going to be a bumpy ride

Riley Thorn... 34... divorced... psychic... working on a plan to restart her life... desperately wants to be normal.

Nick Santiago... 38... PI... ex-cop... likes being his own boss... doesn’t mind being alone... not the monogamous & marrying
kind.

One vision of her neighbor being murdered, then a knock on her door brings them together. Unlikely friends drawn together by circumstances and unseen forces. Riley keeps trying to push people away & bury her gif
Claire
Aug 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Lucy Score delivers another zany rom-com with "Riley Thorn and the Dead Guy Next Door." Many of the signature things you might look for in a book by Ms. Score are front and center in this rollicking comedy/romance/mystery story. You have quirky seniors, a sarcastic heroine, a confirmed bachelor hero, a handful of dysfunctional family members, and of course the odd animal or two with digestive issues. But most of all, you get the quick banter and chemistry between Riley and Nick that you've come ...more
Paulette
Aug 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Right from the get go you know you’re in for something different. Different is one word to describe this captivating book but let’s also use, unique, quirky, hilarious, off the beaten track, unusual, novel, eccentric at times, rare, exclusive and totally downright lovable and sexy.
I thought I knew what I was getting into before I opened this book. I am a fan of this author’s work. Well smack my back (yeah I know its not back but this review is public) and call me Judy! I had no idea what I was i
Douglas Meeks
Jun 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well cue the insanity, this was a wild ride and while not exactly a "paranormal" romance she is a bit psychic and it plays a large part. The romance just made your head hurt since it started as Riley being a fake fiancée for Nick to help with the investigation of a murder. As things go south that is one of the more normal things happening, add in a houseful of senior citizens with some real hang-ups and you have all the ingredients for a rousing good time. At the base of all the madness there is ...more
Heather❀Kiss The Pages❀
3.5 Stars

Ok so don't read this in public because it is absolutely hilarious! A psychic heroine, a PI hero, elderly crazy but loveable roommates and a murder investigation set the stage for this over the top laugh out loud comedy. I wish there was more romance though! That's my only issue and honestly I feel like this should be categorized as a crime mystery/comedy and not a romance book. There is a love story but it felt like a book with an element of romance more than the romance being the hear
Shabby  -BookBistroBlog
My first book by Lucy Score.
i opened the book and laughed out loud on page one.

description

Turned the page and laughed some more..And laughed...and laughed...and laughed.. And the book ended
My heart is full, my face is stretched into a gigantic smile...
I've found a new author to obsess over
All is right in the world.

description

Hilarious story about crazy-ass, riff-raff geriatric inhabitants of a mansion which is permanently unlocked. People wander in and out including a cop, a detective and a murderer.

“I can’t belie
Andrea
Warning! Book hangover will ensue
Riley Thorn This poor girl has been taken to the cleaners by her ex-husband. She is living with a group of elderly people in a rundown mansion/flophouse and working for a soul-sucking company proofreading all day. As if that weren’t bad enough, she hears the inner thoughts of the living and is nagged by the dead to relay messages.
Nick Santiago is a sexy PI who has been hired to investigate the murder of Riley’s next-door neighbor. He is the eternal bachelor and
Lynsey A
My goodness, Lucy Score, can write a very hilarious book. As per normal, she had me rolling with this one. So many fun laugh out loud moments. My husband even commented on it. I was finishing this up in bed last night and just kept giggling. So entertaining.

This was definitely a big change from By a Thread. That one was way sexier than this book. I wouldn't go out and say this was Chick Lit but the sexy times were few in this book and the ending left me feeling it was more HFN than HEA. That's n
Valeen Robertson (Live Thru Books Blog)

Amazon US / Amazon CA / Amazon UK / Amazon AU

Riley Thorn is very leery of her psychic gifts. But when it comes time to use them to solve a case, she kinda sorta has to use them. It's that case that brings the hottie PI, Nick, into her life, though, so perhaps (definitely) it's a good thing for once. Or perhaps not, because this case is going to test Riley's fortitude, and she and Nick will have to be smarter than everyone else if they want to survive.

I knew Lucy Score could write the hel

• A Wicked Song (Brilliance Trilogy #2)
  • Fighting Happily Ever After (Ever After, #4)
  • The V- in 403C
  • Falling for the Fling
  • Payback (Harris Brothers, #6)
  • How to Date a Younger Man
  • Outlaw Souls MC Box Set: Books 1-6 Kindle Edition
  • Luca (Hunting Her #5)
  • The Replacement War  (My Favorite Band #6)
  • The What If Guy (The Guys Who Got Away, #3)
  • Wanting Happily Ever After (Ever After, #3)
  • Dear Sexy Ex-Boyfriend (The Guys Who Got Away, #2)
  • The One for Me (The Arrowood Brothers, #3)
  • Restrictions (The Sterlings #2)
  • Directing You
  • For Her Benefit
See top shelves…
Lucy is a Wall Street Journal and #1 Amazon Kindle Store bestseller of romantic comedies and contemporary romance. She grew up in rural Pennsylvania with a lot of time on her hands and a big imagination. She was the oldest of three in a book-obsessed household. Dinners were often spent in silence while family members had their noses buried in books. A passion for writing took hold at five when she ...more

Riley Thorn (2 books)
  • Riley Thorn and the Corpse in the Closet (Riley Thorn, #2)