Start by marking “Giovane, bello e morto (Kendall Parker Mysteries Vol. 1)” as Want to Read:
Giovane, bello e morto (Kendall Parker Mysteries Vol. 1)

Giovane, bello e morto

(Kendall Parker Mystery #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  170 ratings  ·  49 reviews
Quando il corpo di un giovane uomo picchiato selvaggiamente viene ritrovato nel più importante parco di Atlanta, le associazioni lgbt fanno in fretta a considerarlo un crimine d’odio e a mettere pressione all’amministrazione cittadina e alla polizia affinché giustizia venga fatta. Ben presto, gli indizi sembrano condurre a un giovane tossicodipendente che vive una vita all ...more
Published August 6th 2020 by Triskell Edizioni (first published November 6th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Giovane, bello e morto, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Giovane, bello e morto

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Giovane, bello e morto (Kendall Parker Mysteries Vol. 1)
LenaRibka

I have to start my review as many other readers who reviewed Pretty Boy Dead by Jon Michaelsen - be aware THIS BOOK is not ROMANCE. Otherwise it wouldn't have been nominated for 26th Lambda Literary Award(2014) in the category Gay Mystery. BTW, the jury's selection for this year was top-class. You can have a look at the other finalists here.

Unfortunately gay mystery genre will be very often misinterpreted, partly thanks numerous characters in MM Romance genre. Police officers, private investiga
⚣Michaelle⚣
I kept waffling between 3.5 & 4 Stars and eventually decided to round up because I really enjoyed the story. The narration? Not so much.

See, F.C. McAllister's voice is perfect for a Sam Spade type whodunit (and I'd listen to him narrate that in a hot minute); but this one came with some gruesome murder scenes & hateful homophobia that just didn't come across as impactful with his very dry, very even performance. For that reason, this book is going on the re-read shelf for me to actually read nex
Lisa The Novel Approach
Like I said before, I love a good mystery and this was a GREAT one. I like to try to figure “who done it” while reading any mystery, and this book kept me on my toes. Some of the players were much more obvious than others, and there was a twist at the end that I didn’t see coming. If you are looking for a great mystery, you can’t go wrong with Pretty Boy Dead. The police procedure seemed to be spot on, and the personal relationships were very well fleshed out.

See the entire review at The Novel A
Chris, the Dalek King
It should be noted that the following review/rating is based more on my own experiences reading the story than what someone else, who doesn’t have my hang-ups, might have given the book. It also has quite a few spoilers.

This books starts out in Jason’s pov, and for the next few chapters we are taken through his life as he attempts to screw over his boss/lover (a mobster of ill-repute) and flee the country. Things don’t go according to plan, he ends up being killed, and then the real story begins
Lady*M

First of all, Pretty Boy Dead is not a romance. NOT A ROMANCE. I cannot stress this strong enough. Going into the book expecting it would be a disservice to both the reader and the author. The publisher categorized it as gay mainstream and I agree. It was written and plotted well enough to stand without shame shoulder to shoulder with its mainstream counterparts (no gay prefix needed). The book is, first and foremost, a police procedural and a very realistic one at that.

I usually start
Ulysses Dietz
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pretty Boy Dead (Kendall Parker Mysteries, 1)
By Jon Michaelsen
JM Publications, 2013 and 2018
Five stars

“Truth be told, he died a little death at the beginning of every homicide investigation.”

Amazingly, this is my first Jon Michaelsen book, and therefore my first Kendall Parker mystery. First published in 2013 and reissued in 2018, “Pretty Boy Dead” is a gripping thriller, and the literary debut of a character who, I suspect, I am going to grow fond of over time.

Oddly enough, this is not really
Chris
Sep 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Took me a bit to adjust to this writing style & flow but once I was in, I was in ! This is a new author for me and I’m glad to have taken the chance. Twists, pressure and a clever plot. This was pure mystery and crime solving. There is only the shadow of past romance and a possible whisper of a future one, so this is not for you if you want heat. Really enjoyed this. Def book 2 for me ...more
DeeNeez
Jun 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: free-read, glbt, 2019, sh-2019
Great mystery! This was very gritty and harsh at times. But once I got past the gruesome murder at the start and later skimmed quickly the overly detailed autopsy, I did get into this intense story. I never saw the twist coming at the end. Well done!

Loving Parker’s character was a very slow build for me, yet as the author gradually doled out Parker’s personal life and history, I could understand the hard shell he’d built. As for Slade, I still think he was a pushy asshat for a reporter. But wit
Christy
Dec 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-my-kindle, m-m, arc
The first thing that struck me, believe it or not, was the Acknowledgements before the story even began. Why, you might ask? When I saw the thanks attached to real people and names that assisted the author in his research of police procedures, crime scenes, and morgue related questions, I was supremely impressed. And that was before I started the first chapter! This was my first experience with a Jon Michaelsen book and I jumped into it eagerly.

The story begins with a young male stripper, an inv
Danielle  Gypsy Soul
2.5 Stars. This book was not for me. I can see why people like it but it just isn't my thing. First off there is no romance and I like a little romance in my books. Second and the biggest issue I had with this book was that I never really liked any of the characters. Jason is a whiny, self absorbed kid with no loyalty to anyone. Kendall is also a bit of a whiner and a drunk. I can't believe no one called him out on his drinking on the job - this really bothered me. Then there is a reporter who i ...more
Maygirl7
Nov 03, 2019 marked it as not-for-me  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, ku, m-m
Clunk clunk clunk writing
Keith Gaspar
Jun 02, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ouch
After I spent some time with his story, I decided to learn about the author and his history as a writer. I found out that this is his first book available to the public. That fact answers a lot of questions.

The book starts out as a fairly interesting addition to the detective genre. Its first several chapters move along setting a stage and introducing some compelling plot points.

In his acknowledgments, the author name-checked several members of law enforcement who provided technical assistance
Cindi
Full review can be found at On Top Down Under Book Reviews.

A murdered male stripper. A closeted cop who is surrounded by homophobic coworkers. An interesting cast of characters who may or may not be who they seem. An enjoyable mystery.

Note that this is not a romance so do not go into it expecting it to be.

This book was provided by Wilde City Press in exchange for a fair and honest review.
Mark McNease
Nov 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A well written and engrossing story

I was engaged by this book from the first page. There's an attention to detail that makes it clear the author does his homework and then some. I liked the character of Kendal Parker a lot and was engrossed by the descriptions and insights into both the characters and their environment. It all felt very real, an excellent read.
Brad Shreve
Pretty Boy Dead was non-stop, heart pounding fun from beginning to end. Michaelsen had me from the first chapter of this gripping, gritty tale. Protagonist, Kendall Parker, is a deeply flawed and likeable character. A great plot with plenty of twists and turns. What's not to love? I can't wait to read the next in the series.
Lisa
We,, this is definitely not a romance. The MC is gay but not even a kiss.
However, the murder mystery is good. I recoiled in horror at the senseless murder, you feel as if you are actually there.
The MC is Kendall. A very much in the closet at work gay man. His LT is very homophobic. When I started to read this with the attitudes, I thought this might have been set years ago, but they mention the internet and so I figured it was fairly recent.
I enjoyed this so much I went straight into the second
Dolorianne
Aug 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
This is a mystery in the greatest sense of the word. It has a classic feel to it, with the only thing tying it to the modern age is the casual mention of cell phones.

The path the author has chosen to take is specifically stylized, and may not appeal to all readers. He puts us in the heads of about a dozen players, he lets us see from the very beginning who the villain is, and some of the text is overly dense and intentionally jarring. But ....

There is so much greatness here. Traps are set so w
Jon
Oct 17, 2013 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Endorsements for Pretty Boy Dead

“Pretty Boy Dead is amazingly good - and one of the best gay mysteries I've read in a long time. It leaps ahead of so many books in this genre on the strength of its suspense and depth of its characters, and stayed with me long after the last chapter. Highly recommended for those who like swift, compelling stories.”

Chris Beakey, author of Double Abduction, a finalist for the Lambda Literary Award

“Jon Michaelsen has hit a mark often missed by writers: He's written
Andrea
Sep 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a mystery and there's no romance. And what a complicated mystery it is! Great writing and story but it will probably take me a second reading just to connect it all. Loved it and hope there will be more. Have to admit, I hope for just a little romance in a future book.
Claudia
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbt, series, mystery
This one was a disappointment. I didn't connect with any of the characters, the plot was all over the place, and it felt... disjointed. The feel I got was that the author had a lot to say, try to do it on one book, and didn't manage it.

The mystery failed to be interesting and to be the structure to hold the whole together. And, TBH, I guessed the main twist from the beginning :(

In every emotional conversation, the dialogues felt stilted, and forces. Even preachy, for moments.

I don't think I'll b
Suze
Apr 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5*
A gritty, at times uncomfortable read in the genuine murder mystery vein - no holds barred from the attack to the autopsy, the description of life for those at the bottom of society and the bigotry faced within the police force. There is no sugar coating in this book.

The start of the book gave me a feeling of impending doom as we follow Jason as he sets into place a plan to let him escape - but from who and what? Was his unlikeable treatment of Tim normal or stress related - I didn't want to
Christopher Moss
Mar 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When a male stripper is found dead in the park, in-the-closet Atlanta police sergeant Kendall Parker is assigned to find the killer. The crime is politically sensitive and elections are just around the corner, so the powers that be want Parker to railroad a street kid with a drug problem and AIDS. He knows it isn't right, but the kid makes his job finding the real murderer any easier when he attacks another cop investigating the crime. A local blue blood family and a popular politician add red h ...more
James
Jan 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy a good mystery. And to say I was thoroughly entertained throughout this tale would be the understatement of the decade. Mr. Michaelsen trapped me in the first paragraph and I was not set free until the very last sentence.

Everything necessary for a first-rate thriller is in here, and in all the right places. First of all we have the introduction of characters all neatly in a row only to have them scatter as their personalities expand and the story develops. Then the plot, which is
Lois - Who Reads
Truthfully, I was about a third of the way in before I decided that I was going to finish this book. It was a slow start, but when it caught me I didn’t want to put it down. This is an old fashioned type mystery, with really bad bad guys, a harried police detective, a captain that only cares about the politics behind everything, and detailed police work (the autopsy was a little too detailed for me!).

This book was tagged as an m/m romance, but there is no romance in this book. There are some g
Olivia
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm-2019-sh-recs
A great read by Jon Michaelson! This was my first time reading a book by this author and I was immediately drawn into the story and loved trying to figure out the plot twist. Sergeant Parker was an intriguing character and I loved how the author handled his internal struggles with his sexuality and the case he was dealing with. The wrap up at the end was neatly done and pretty much confirmed my suspicions as the story went on but it was still entertaining and I would definitely recommend!
Cheryl
Feb 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really great read, not a romance! Very well thought out and constructed mystery that had me guessing until the very end. Loved Kendall Parker's character, broken alcoholic gay detective buried in the closet on Atlanta's polcie force. Looking forward the Parker's next mystery.
ReadingAllNite
Jan 13, 2020 marked it as dnf-not-for-me  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ku-borrow, m-m
29% dnf
I found this to be offensive in several word choices, using the term “transvestite”, frequent use of the f-word which might have been authentic to the scene but used too much for my taste and stereotyping and racism in other instances. Can’t stand any more of this.
Anke
Nov 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Started, put away for quite some time, got back to it and suddenly couldn't put it down. Very engaging and gripping story. Kendall grew on me and I can't wait to read the next book in this series.
CdnBookLover
Sep 13, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Boring. Gave up after less than 15 minutes.
Thais
I have a hard time finishing this book. Although I like it, I have some issues with the way the mystery was presented to us. There is a lot of POVs in this story, from the bad guys, the journalist, the detective, the victim and some others.

The first 4 chapters show us the victim, the killer, the journalist and some witnesses. In these 4 chapters, you know who is dead, how he was killed, who killed and half the motive. In the fifth chapter, you get to know the detective Kendall.

You see, the reade
Gay fiction/non-f...: New Gay Murder/Thriller Release 2 13 Dec 02, 2013 05:28PM

• A Body in a Bathhouse (A Mitch O'Reilly Mystery #1)
  • Secret at Skull House (Secrets and Scrabble #2)
  • Murder at Pirate's Cove (Secrets and Scrabble, #1)
  • The Ghost and Charlie Muir
  • Ride the Lightning (Sinister in Savannah, #1)
  • A Body on the Hill (A Mitch O'Reilly Mystery #2)
  • The Monuments Men Murders (The Art of Murder #4)
  • An Unsuitable Heir (Sins of the Cities, #3)
  • Murder on the Rocks (Jordan Jenner Mysteries, #1)
  • Fadeout (Dave Brandstetter, #1)
  • How to Run with the Wolves (Howl at the Moon #5)
  • The Necessary Deaths (The Delingpole Mysteries, #1)
  • Principles of Spookology (The Spectral Files, #2)
  • Orientation (Borealis Investigations, #1)
  • Couldn't Cheat Death (Paul Monroe Mystery #1)
  • The Art of Murder (Jordan Jenner Mysteries #2)
  • An Unnatural Vice (Sins of the Cities, #2)
  • Without a Trace (Lancaster Falls Trilogy, #2)
Jon Michaelsen writes fiction in Mystery, Thriller, and Suspense sub-genres where the main characters are gay. Numerous writers have influenced his writing: David Baldacci, Barry Eisler & John Grisham, and ground-breaking writers, Patricia Nell Warren, Michael Nava, and Mark Zubro. Recent authors in the Gay Mystery genre also have influenced his writing: Greg Herren, John Morgan Wilson, Steve Neil ...more

Kendall Parker Mystery (2 books)
  • The Deadwood Murders (A Kendall Parker Mystery #2)