Start by marking “The Murder Game” as Want to Read:

The Murder Game

What if your best friend and roommate killed a teacher at your prep school? Or what if he didn’t do it, but he’s being framed, and you’re the only person who can save him?

Luke Chase didn’t mean to get caught up solving the mystery of Mrs. Heckler’s murder. He just wanted to spend alone time with the new British girl at their boarding school.

But little did he know someone
Expected publication: April 6th 2021 by Sourcebooks Fire

To ask other readers questions about The Murder Game, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Murder Game

Start your review of The Murder Game
Nilufer Ozmekik
Jan 17, 2021 rated it liked it
It was another solid, fast paced, easy to read, YA mystery/ thriller. If it would be only for this beautiful cover, I could give five stars without thinking any further.

But the book is a little predictable whodunnit murder mystery at school campus with plot holes, not so crafted characterization.

Oscar: the problematic bad boy who is presumed killer of his teacher and his roommate Luke who is A-grader, clean cut, great student, athlete, student rep., president of Outdoors Club is polar opposite
Lexi
Feb 10, 2021 rated it it was ok
DNF @ 50%

Dark Academia meets YA thriller in this tedious read.

It's a boarding school. Someone dies. Some kids may have been accidental witnesses. One of the kids is accused of being the murderer. Scandalous.

The Murder Game really had all of the makings of a cool book, and if I didn't have so many better books waiting in the wings I may have powered through it. I love YA thrillers and I was hoping that one with a heavier focus on DA would have been what I needed, but it just isn't written well.
Eeva
Feb 11, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actual rating 3.75, rounded up to 4

Ok, so overall I really enjoyed that book. I love boarding schools mysteries so this was perfect for me.
The characters are fairly well developped, the plot is more or less solid. I know these sounds like a quite lukewarm compliments, and I would agree, but the writing was compelling which to me is the most inportant. If the writing is smooth then the rest is fine and I dont pay attention to the minor drawbacks.

The ending indicates another book so Im quite pleas
Alex
Jan 17, 2021 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 5-and-6
Thanks to the publisher for providing an eARC of The Murder Game in exchange for an honest review.

I genuinely think the wrong title and cover got slapped onto this book. I've been racking my brain and I have absolutely no idea how the title The Murder Game or the 13 tallies had literally anything to do with the plot here. It's extremely misleading and I can't see it not hurting this book's marketing.

The thing is, this is a pretty okay book. The characters are a bit archetypical and the teen spea
Katie Burrows
Jan 09, 2021 rated it really liked it
I received a free advanced copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. See the end of my review for educator-specific feedback.

I feel the need to note that murder mysteries aren’t my typical preferred reading material, but every year I have scores of students who love them, so I dip my toe in the water to look for new offerings.

Not being a connoisseur of the genre, I found this book to be what I imagine is typical fare. Boarding school, sneaking around at night, heart-po
Lisa Nocita
Nov 28, 2020 rated it liked it
#TheMurderGame #NetGalley
Thanks to NetGalley for the advance reading copy.

First of all, the cover is a great attention grabber! Secondly, solid mystery with plenty of red herrings. I thought I had figured it out fairly on and I ended up being right in the end but there were plenty of times I was second guessing myself. For me, this is a mark of a good mystery. I appreciate that the author respects the reader enough to create a clever, nuanced plot with clues that can be sussed out with
Jackie
Jan 26, 2021 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2021-reads, mystery
Talk about déjà vu.

“The Murder Game” finds Luke Chase sneaking out of his dorm and breaking the rules for the first time only to find himself caught up in an investigation into the murder of the wife of the Dean and with too many suspects and not enough time he races ahead to uncover the truth before the wrong man goes down for the crime.

So the entire time I’m reading this book I kept feeling like I’ve read it before and it was only when I finished that I looked up the book it reminded me of a
Arlen
Nov 24, 2020 rated it liked it
by Carrie Doyle
Pub Date 06 Apr 2021
Read courtesy of http://netgalley.com

The cover pulled me in; bummer, it was misleading. There was neither a game nor were there thirteen murders. Although, there may have been thirteen suspects; I didn't count.

The story is a typical YA whodunit complete with teens who think they can solve a murder better and faster than law enforcement can. The adults were caricatures of stereotypical school-employed adults: the stern one, the buddy-buddy one, t
jpbrokerreads
Feb 26, 2021 rated it liked it
Luke and Oscar are roommates and best friends at their boarding school. One night they decide to sneak out to meet up with some girls. While hanging out they overhear a confrontation between a man and a woman but have no idea who they are.

The next morning they find out that a woman was murdered in the exact spot they were at the night before. After Oscar becomes the prime suspect in the murder it is up to Luke to play detective and find out who committed the murder.

This was a fun and fast read
Kristin Sanders
Feb 02, 2021 rated it really liked it
**I received an ARC from the publisher on Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

This book was full of twists. It kind of made me think of Pretty Little Liars but without all of the girl drama. I couldn't get enough of this book. The ending wasn't what I excepted but it was so good. I'll definitely be reading it again.
Kate
Feb 10, 2021 marked it as dnf
Shelves: arc, edelweiss, 21-april
DNFing, just because it's not what I was in the mood for. I thought there was going to be lots of murder at a prep school... which is my jam. But I'm not connecting with the characters and I don't care who killed the victim enough to keep reading for now. Might retry this in the future on audio if the narrator is good. ...more
Misty Horning
Jan 25, 2021 rated it really liked it
A few of the reviews of this book mention the cover and title, describing how they do not seem to fit with the story. I will agree. I am not sure how the title plays into the story, or how the tally marks do as well.

I did some digging and found out that this book was originally published in 2018 under the title of Sneaking Out (a much more suitable title) and the author published it under the pseudonym of Chuck Vance. It is described as the first in the Chased series (named for the main charact
Crystal Rees
Jan 16, 2021 rated it really liked it
A well written, fast paced thriller. A bit predictable but a solid 4 star YA novel. An easy read that keeps you intrigued.
Starr ❇✌❇
I received an ARC from Edelweiss
2.6

Luke never wanted the notoriety that came along with having escaped a kidnap, and the last thing he wants to get involved with is a murder. Except... he was there when it happened, hiding in the woods after curfew. And the police seem to think his roommate has something to do with it. What starts as an investigation to prove Oscar's innocence slowly becomes more complex and more dangerous, as everyone seems to be the possible murderer.

This book is pretty ridicu
hollie
Jan 13, 2021 rated it liked it
3.5 stars.

Okay, so this book is literally a cross between A study in Charlotte meets any boarding school book ever. I thought the premise was really interesting and Carrie captured boarding school life how I would expect. I felt like the story’s ending was satisfying enough and I can see this book being a potential series.

- I liked the entire concept of this book and how the story played out. The reveals/twists felt realistic and I could understand the direction Luke’s character followed.
- I lik
eda!
Feb 04, 2021 rated it liked it
The Murder Game has such a beautiful cover!! Though, I do think the title is a bit misleading, I personally didn't feel like it matched the story well. This was a good YA mystery. I read adult mysteries more often than YA so I didn't enjoy this as much as the target audience would. It is predictable, I guessed the who the killer would be in the beginning and was correct-I left the book feeling neutral because of that. I think Luke's kidnapping didn't fit well into the novel, it didn't add anythi ...more
Kerri
Dec 23, 2020 rated it it was ok
Luke Chase is starting another year at his exclusive boarding school when his roommate, Oscar, convinces him to sneak out with two girls. That same night, a teacher is found murdered in the wood, near the spot where they were hanging out. Luke and Oscar are determined to solve the mystery before suspicion falls on them. The book has an okay plot but nothing too exciting. Luke is a bit dense at the clues thrown his way and the rest of the characters aren't overly developed, so it was hard to make ...more
Jenni
Dec 22, 2020 rated it liked it
This story is a murder mystery, but don't let the title fool you. There is no game. I have no idea where that title came from. Here, we find rich kids at a prep school (seems to be a YA trend for at least 20 books I've read this year). The story follows Luke Chase, a student who, three years ago, was kidnapped and escaped his captors. Does that have anything to do with the story? You'll have to read to find out. There is a murder on campus and the police can't figure out who coule have possibly ...more
Coley
Jan 09, 2021 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2021, arc, january-2021
I found The Murder Game to be a bit misleading by the title (and cover). Luke and his boarding school roommate Oscar sneak out for the night to meet two girls for some fun, only to find out the next day they had witnessed (overheard) the death of a faculty member.

This novel was a slow read for me, with lots of red herrings and a little too much unnecessary plot. Then there’s a quickly wrapped up ending that comes with a promise of a sequel.
Rebecca Clinite
Jan 20, 2021 rated it it was ok
This book had a good premise, but lacked character development. It’s easy to not to be too suspicious of a character because you don’t get enough information about the characters to begin with. Everything seems very vague about the whole story and feels rushed with multiple plot lines that simply don’t blend well.
Feb 03, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2021-mt-bookpile
Set at a fictionalized version of a real school (not giving away the name here, but if you leave me a message...), we have the dead second wife of a dean, and the police are searching for suspects. No surprise, the students who were closest (physically) to the murder) decide that they need to figure out whodunnit, a decision that is given some urgency when one of them is considered a prime suspect and suspended from school. It was fun reading how they searched for clues, not knowing who is and w ...more
Elizabeth
Feb 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing
A thrilling boarding school mystery that totally GETS teens. I loved this book!
Jess
Dec 10, 2020
Sally Kelly
rated it it was ok
Jan 14, 2021
Helen
Feb 01, 2021
Sara Grochowski
rated it did not like it
Feb 18, 2021
Jan 30, 2021
Goodreads Librari...: Wrong Release Date 3 18 Jan 03, 2021 10:35AM

• Pumpkin (Dumplin', #3)
  • The Project
  • If the Shoe Fits (Meant to Be, #1)
  • What Big Teeth
  • Amelia Unabridged
  • The Lodge
  • The Lions of Fifth Avenue
  • Shuggie Bain
  • The Necklace
  • In the Wild Light
  • The Wickeds (Faraway, #5)
  • The Girls Are All So Nice Here
  • The Best of Friends
  • The Castle School (for Troubled Girls)
  • Lady in Waiting: My Extraordinary Life in the Shadow of the Crown
  • The Ivies
  • Fat Chance, Charlie Vega
  • Revenge of the Sluts
Carrie Doyle is a bestselling author of eleven books. (She also has written under the name Carrie Karasyov.) She is excited to have three releases coming out this spring!

Death on Bull Path, the fourth book in The Hamptons Murder Mystery Series will be released in March, 2021.

The Murder Game, a YA mystery set at a boarding school, will be published in April, 2021.

It Takes Two to Mango, the first bo