Start by marking “Percivious Insomnia (Percivious, #1)” as Want to Read:
Percivious Insomnia (Percivious, #1)

Percivious Insomnia

(Percivious #1)

The only problem is, it doesn’t work. With no warning. No explanation.

Unable to accept the drug’s in
Published August 27th 2020 by FriesenPress (first published August 2020)

To ask other readers questions about Percivious Insomnia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Percivious Insomnia

Start your review of Percivious Insomnia (Percivious, #1)
Literary Redhead
Loved the concept of this medical thriller/sci-fi novel by AJ Cook, a Canadian physician, and his marketing whiz wife, JJ Cook. The world is on the edge of collapse due to an insomnia pandemic. Dr. Cooper Delaney thinks Noctural — a new sleep-aid with no side effects in testing — will bring relief. Except that it stops working for no reason.

This was a fascinating read as the world faced a TRUE pandemic. Fortunately for us, the COVID-19 vaccine appears to actually protect against the deadly viru
Fizah(Books tales by me)
Got the review copy from authors.

Dnfing after 100 pages.
It started with so much potential, I was looking forward to a banging story and I was really enjoying the concept. But so many characters POV made it hard to track everyone plus so much detail was a turnoff.
And again negative characters are Muslim, so no can't continue it.

Megan Rivera
Dec 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An insomnia pandemic is sweeping the globe, leaving people unable to function and society on the brink of collapse..Dr. Cooper Delaney believes he has the answer: Noctural, a new sleep-aid—one with absolutely no side-effects—which in early testing shows 100% effectiveness.
The only problem is, it doesn’t work. With no warning in this trilogy. I absolutely loved reading this book.
Julia
Apr 21, 2022 rated it did not like it
Received an ARC through Netgalley as well as a physical ARC from the author's.

I liked the premise of the book, but the many POV, the masses of unnecessary information, and the telling (Show, don't tell!) made it a tough read.
Agnesophie
Aug 08, 2020 rated it it was ok
I got this ARC from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

The premise of this book was interesting - an insomnia pandemic and the MC, who tries to find a cure for it. Unfortunately, the execution was clunky.

The beginning of the book was very promising, but it quickly became, quite frankly, a mess.

Each chapter starts with an hour, a location and a character. This would suggest that it's a multiple POV book. Spoiler alert: it is not. Not only because further in the book we g
Aaron Adams
Aug 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was captivated by this book from the beginning. The avalanche chapter is one I will never forget. But, something interesting happened by the end of chapter 10, I was hooked, couldn’t put it down. I stayed up all night, with my own case of insomnia, with the novel to blame. I haven’t done that with a book in a very long time and I read 20 books a month. To say that this book is character driven is a HUGE understatement. It is character piloted! I can’t remember the last book where I felt like I ...more
Aaron Adams
Aug 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Sonam Shukla
Jan 20, 2021 rated it it was amazing
The only problem is, it doesn’t work. With no warning.
_____
Percivious Insomnia is a multiple genre book but I would like to class it under a science fiction book. In the initial few chapters the authors just introduced the ch
Tasha
Aug 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I am not really a sci-fi fan, I don’t care for Star Trek. Star Wars is better, but still not something I would watch if I was alone on movie night. I thought I would take a chance on this medical thriller, sci-fi adventure, and I requested the ARC in exchange for my honest opinion. I can honestly say this book has converted me. I think it is because it’s way more than sci-fi, in the traditional sense. This novel has it all: suspense, intrigue, plot twists, murder and yes, even romance. But most ...more
Rick
May 17, 2022 rated it it was ok
Shelves: book-buying-ban
Review 53. Percivious Insomnia by J.J. Cook & A.J. Cook

I was sent this book in exchange for an honest review.

When I first read the plot of this book, I thought it was an interesting concept and I liked the science fiction aspect of the story.

Unfortunately upon reading it, I found this book hard to read due to the number of different POV's, namely that each chapter was from a different character's viewpoint. I also wasn't keen on the layout of chapter 34, it was confusing.

I felt that the main pl
Chantale Désilets-Bradford
Aug 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing

I was hooked after 3 chapters and devoured the book in a few days!
Riya Reads
Aug 13, 2020 rated it it was ok
While in the midst of a pandemic, coming across the book plot of another pandemic dealing with insomnia, I was sold!
But I guess the book was just all shiny on the top and dull inside. It became cumbersome to read multiple POVs and flitting through them back and forth. The premise was unique but the storytelling got lengthy and after a while nothing was really happening.
I really wanted to like this book but I just couldn't.

Thank you NetGalley and the publishers for an e ARC in exchange of an hone
Biswajit Samal
Jan 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Percivious Insomnia is a traveled clinical spine chiller and a science fiction novel composed by the creators JJ Cook and AJ Cook. There is a sleep deprivation pandemic across the globe that is forestalling individuals to work appropriately. Different individuals are engaged with the exploration. Dr Cooper Delaney, who had been with Proteus for a very long time has made a miracle drug that is 100% successful and doesn't have any results.

It is less similar to perusing a book and more like perusin
Paige
Aug 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Disclaimer: I received this e-arc from the Smith Publicity. Thanks! All opinions are my own.

Book: Percivious Insomnia

Book Series: Standalone

Rating: 4/5

Recommended For...: sci-fi lovers, pandemic reads

Publication Date: August 27, 2020

Genre: Sci-Fi

Recommended Age: 16+ (violence, alternate history, drugs TW, pandemic TW)

Publisher: FriesenPress

Pages: 240

Synopsis: An insomnia pandemic is sweeping the globe, leaving people unable to function and society on the brink of collap
Anais (atrailofpages)
Nov 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
I want to thank the authors and publisher first for sending me a free copy of the book.

This book’s genre is a little outside of my comfort zone, but the synopsis really pulled me in and I was curious to see how this book would go.

This is more of a scifi story than I expected, which is nice since I thought it was more of a medical-based thriller only, but there’s also a very nice scifi twist to it.

The story starts out very slow and does not actually get really interesting until literally half w
Shiny  Jain
Nov 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
🌸This is the first book in the Percivious Trilogy from husband-wife author duo JJ Cook & AJ Cook, MD. Percivious Insomnia sets a unique and original course for fiction of the future, and paints a timely, prescient portrait of today's globalized society and what may exist beyond the realm of our current understanding.

🌸An insomnia pandemic is sweeping the globe, leaving people unable to function and society on the brink of collapse.
Dr. Cooper Delaney believes he has the answer: Noctural, a new sle
Sofiya Sagar
Nov 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
⚡Percivious Insomnia⚡

📚Book Series: Standalone📚

🌟My Rating: 4.8/5🌟

Genre: Sci-Fi

▶️This is the best book I’ve read in a while. Totally kept me enthralled and helped me escape into another world.

▶️This book is beautifully written. Each character is realistic, unique and well introduced.

▶️The story is captivating and thrilling. It takes you to different parts of the world, and it gives you a taste of fiction, science, suspense, and much more!

▶️I loved the idea behind this bo
Sejal
Nov 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Percivious Insomnia is the first book in the Percivious Trilogy from husband-wife author duo JJ Cook & AJ Cook, MD. It is is a science fiction thriller which talks about intriguing scientific theories , complicated media and government relationships which could lead to the destruction of the species.

Synopsis:

Percivious Insomnia📚

Book Series: Standalone

Rating: 4.5/5

Genre: Sci-Fi

💌This book is beautifully written. Each character is realistic, unique and well introduced. You quickly know them all and can create your own image of what they would look like in real life, or who they remind you of.

💌The book emphasized character development to an e tend that it felt overwhelming and exhausting.
The multi POV was generally a great idea for the book, though here each ded
Prashant Singh
Nov 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
𝗣𝗲𝗿𝗰𝗶𝘃𝗶𝗼𝘂𝘀 𝗜𝗻𝘀𝗼𝗺𝗻𝗶𝗮 𝗯𝘆 𝗝.𝗝. 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗔.𝗝. 𝗖𝗼𝗼𝗸.

Recommended Age: 16+
While amidst a pandemic, running over the book plot of another pandemic managing sleep deprivation, arouses curiosity automatically! What happens when you find a cure for insomnia with no side effects at all? Yes... we all are imagining that! But what happens next when we find that cure failed!?

Sleep deprivation pandemic is clearing the globe but Dr. Cooper Delaney accepts he has the appropriate response: Noctural, another tranquiliz
LAWonder10
Jan 05, 2021 rated it really liked it
This is a review of the audio version of this book.
Except for occasional profanity, this was very captivating
Although there are several different characters and ongoing situations, the author has successfully written this suspenseful drama which is quite easily followed.
A pandemic - worse than COVID-19 in many ways - which ends up bringing an unusual group of “specialists” together. A top Pharmaceutical company has used top scientific research to find a cure. What they discover is totally i
Neha
Jan 27, 2021 rated it really liked it
Percivious: Insomnia is a the first part of the trilogy novel by JJ.Cook and AJ.Cook. The Novel is a Science Fiction. It has medical, technology and a hint of outer space live all mix in one novel.

An insomnia epidemic is sweeping the world and people is struggling with fatigue and to do the daily works. A scientist at Pretous:a pharmaceutical company think he has the answer for this epidemic with this new invention " Noctural".

But something happens and everything he knew was about to change. Is
Aliretta Etnel
Dec 15, 2021 rated it liked it
Let's start by saying this narrator has such a smooth voice that it makes the book really easy to listen to. That being said, he doesn’t do "voices" so it's all at one level voice the whole way. I usually like when we can hear the different characters.

*I am not sure if I read the old or the re-released version*

This story is really interesting in the concept behind it. The author really excels at having that "twist" in the idea and enough science to make you think.

That being said, I feel like it
_sassy_39
Dec 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Percivious Insomnia is a jetset medical thriller and a sci-fi novel written by the authors JJ Cook and AJ Cook. There is an insomnia pandemic across the globe that is preventing people to function properly. Various people are involved with the research. Dr Cooper Delaney who had been with Proteus for eight years has made a wonder drug that is 100% effective and doesn't have any side effects.

Malcom Schwartz who feels more fatigue when he woke up than when he drift off to sleep tried the wonder d
Saloni arora
Dec 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
🖤 An amazing Sci-Fi book. All the Sci-fi lovers wouldn't want to miss this at all. This book is a complete mystery. You can't imagine what comes next. The characters are just awesome. All of them has the perfect role assigned to them.

🖤 A geneticist uncovers his Human Pinnacle Hypothesis in a nearby hall, guaranteeing that mankind has begun developing and that people will begin vanishing as the atmosphere shifts. An energetic reporter, Mandolin, seeks after an inquisitive lead following this pres
Ankita
Dec 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
𝑻𝒊𝒕𝒍𝒆: Percivious Insomnia
𝑨𝒖𝒕𝒉𝒐𝒓: JJ Cook & AJ Cook

𝑴𝒚 𝑹𝒆𝒗𝒊𝒆𝒘:
Percivious: Insomnia is a novel that belongs to multiple genres. An Insomnia pandemic has plagued the world. Cooper Delaney had been working with Proteus for eight years. Jon Cameron hired Cooper with an offer that he couldn't refuse. Jon had been the director of research for five years before they met. Cooper has made a drug Noctural that had become the forerunner as the year’s drug of choice. It's a sleep aid with no side effects—no
Kia
Dec 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Percivious Insomnia
By
JJ Cook & AJ Cook

Percivious Insomnia is the latest sci-fi novel that I have read. It's a medical thriller too. It is the first book in the Percivious trilogy written by husband-wife author duo JJ Cook & AJ Cook. The book started with the introduction of characters one by one. Cooper Delaney is the main one who has made a wonder drug to cure insomnia. But the problem is that the drug failed on one user. Cooper who went for a skiing trip had an accident that landed him to a h
Komal Chhabra
Dec 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
🎩This book has been written wonderfully. It is believable, special and well presented to each character. You know them all easily and can create your own impression of what they look like or recall in real life.

🎩The chapters are brief and concentrate on individual characters, times and places. It was brilliantly done to incorporate all the various characters.

🎩Unforeseen associations are made when switching between characters. It is believable, special and well presented to each character. The c
Monika Singla
Dec 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
🔷 BOOK: Percivious Insomnia
🔷 AUTHOR: JJ Cook & AJ Cook

Review:
I enjoy Sci-fi and thriller stories, therefore I decided to read Percivious Insomnia by the authors JJ Cook & AJ Cook. Story starts with the introduction of the most intense character Dr Cooper Delaney. His drug Noctural has shown 100% effectiveness during a test. This is to cure the humans from the insomnia that has plagued the world. But when the wonder drug test failed and even Cooper don't know the reason behind it, humanity gonna
Tarun Kumar
Dec 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It has everything: mystery, drama, surprises, assassination and yes, even romance. However it was primarily the cast that hooked me on characters. One by one, they draw you into a multi-dimensional and dynamic way of life.

The early chapters of the book include a very useful introduction to the characters. Every individual is beautifully presented, all well-defined and their position is good and different. The only thing about this book is that the time and the location are listed at the beginnin

• Dear You, Young Girl
  • Let It All Go
  • A Street Cat Named D. Sire
  • I've an Idea!
  • The Foretold Story Book 1: Part 1
  • Canvas of Time
  • Barry Bear's Very Best: Learning to Say No to Negative Influences
  • When Life Gives Us Wind: ("Hi, I am..." Book Series 2)
  • The Guilty Pieces
  • Dhanmondi Road
  • Dippy's Great Adventure
  • Black Boy Joy
  • The Tail of Max the Mindless Dog: A Children's Book on Mindfulness
  • From Daylight To Madness (The Hotel #1)
  • Worry Bee
  • The Lost Throne (The Kingdom Within, #2)
  • The Dark Archer
  • The Sea
Publisher's Weekly: The Cooks’ impressive SF medical thriller, the first of a trilogy, overflows with intriguing ideas. The main plot focuses on a new wonder sleep drug, Noctural, which runs into a snag. Despite successful preliminary trials, Noctural fails to work for a test subject with chronic insomnia and other people suffering from sleep deprivation. Figuring out why falls to a researcher for ...more

Percivious (3 books)
  • Percivious Origins (Percivious, #2)
  • Percivious Escape (Percivious, #3)

News & Interviews

With more than 5.7 million votes cast and counted, the 14th Annual Goodreads Choice Awards are now official. Launched in 2009,...