Start by marking “Superfoods: The Food and Medicine of the Future” as Want to Read:
Superfoods: The Food and Medicine of the Future

Superfoods: The Food and Medicine of the Future

Superfoods are vibrant, nutritionally dense foods that have recently become widely available and which offer tremendous dietary and healing potential. In this lively, illustrated overview, well-known raw-foods guru David Wolfe profiles delicious and incredibly nutritious plant products such as goji berries, hempseed, cacao beans (raw chocolate), maca, spirulina, bee ...more
Published April 28th 2009 by North Atlantic Books (first published 2009)

Start your review of Superfoods: The Food and Medicine of the Future
Damien
Sep 18, 2009 rated it liked it
David Wolfe books are always a "mixed blessing", but they are always informative, thought provoking, and inspire me to eat better. Of the three books by him, and of almost all the raw foodist manifestos, that I have read, this one seems to be the most intelligent and well researched. The most convincing thing about it is, I've given his advice a try recently; I've had some minor health issues these last few months and after a week of adding just the minimum recommendation of his suggested ...more
Iona  Stewart
Jan 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is an extremely important book for all of us who wish to live in a state of optimal health. And surely we all wish that!

It introduced me to the concept of superfoods and I have now begun to include more of them in my diet. (Id already been using coconut products and Spirulina, without knowing they were actually superfoods.) This is contributing to my physical and in fact total transformation.

Davids top 10 superfoods are as follows: Goji berries, Cacao (raw chocolate), Maca, Bee products,
David
Feb 12, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012
I first saw David Wolfe on the documentary Food Matters, and really enjoyed what he had to say about raw foods and superfoods. He has a vibrant energy that flows through his body and his enthusiasm about nutrition shines through his speech. That documentary really had an effect on me, and I have changed my diet a lot since watching it. Slowly, I have begun to include superfoods into my own diet, but I wanted to learn more about them.

This book covers Wolfe's top ten superfoods and includes
Becky
Apr 30, 2010 rated it liked it
Interesting book if you can get past David Wolfe's glamor shot on the cover and his persistent self promotion. Many of his claims are backed up by legitimate studies, but periodically Wolfe supports an idea with "cross-referenced internet research", so take this with a grain of (Himalayan crystal) salt.
Millicent
Jan 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is the most comprehensive guide to superfoods that you will find on the market. David Wolfe gives detailed information on the nutritional quality of each superfood, their history, what to look for in purchasing them, and provides nutritionally dense raw recipes. What sets this book apart from other books on superfoods is that he backs up his statements with a glossary of studies at the back of the book. The health food movement is often dismissed as hippy quack science, so backing up your ...more
Michelle
May 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: youth
He's an interesting pioneer.

Even though I think peeps give way to much credit to anyone for being the "best" at one tiny thing, instead of a wholistic life.. which generally is not a famous or entrepreneurial one.

I feel the same way about "superfoods". I absolutely believe that some foods are pretty amaZIng, but the better approach to diet is prolly being consistent with the fresh, local food and adaptogens you have. Especially the ones you love. Over time, this will achieve you more.

The best
Br. Fred Jaxheimer, OEF
This book was a fun read and very educational. There is real passion in educating others about the nutritional power of these foods. David Wolfe writes a nice book on foods that can be highly nourishing, highly health promoting, healing and fun. He provides history of each food, what to buy and recommendations on amounts as well as providing some recipes. I have added several of these Superfoods to my diet and will continue to have fun adding more. I understand that Wolfe wrote two other books, ...more
Kelley
Nov 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
The information tends to repeat itself, possibly unavoidably so (a nutrient in one food probably performs much the same in another), and the information for each food reads much like the product information pages on his company's (Sunfood) website. Still, it's good information, and a good start on researching the nutritional content of foods I've been reading a lot about lately.
Terri
Mar 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012
This is an awesome book. Interesting to read about how powerful our food can be. Now to figure out how to incorporate these ideas into my own diet(without barfing....a.k.a. bee pollen). This is the kind of book you need to keep and use as a reference guide.
Michelle
May 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Excellent info in a fun-to read format on the latest research regarding nutritious and delicious "superfoods." These are foods from around the globe which are packed with phytonutrients and anti-oxidants. Good recipes, too!
Hadi
Feb 23, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: food
Enjoyed flicking through this but didn't hold my attention.
Beth
Mar 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating that these superfoods can do so much. The author makes great health seem attainable abs accessible if you open your mind to new ideas of food.
BJ
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: health
Outstanding detail of 20 or so superfoods.
Antoinette
Jul 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
After buying several less expensive blenders and smoothie makers, I finally invested in a Vitamix. It's a definite must-have for anyone who wants to do protein shake meals and/or other health-conscious cooking.

I saw David Wolfe on an infomercial for the newest Ninja blender. David talked about the book included with The Ninja that had several recipes tailored to men and women. I was definitely interested in getting the book, but I wasn't going to buy "another" Ninja just to get it. :) So, I
Cheryl A
Mar 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
David Wolfe does a great job articulating some of the best superfoods our planet has to offer. I am forever grateful for the information he provides in this book. Typically, we find nutritionists claiming foods are good for you, but fail to explain the science behind it or the origins of the food or any historical facts. David Wolfe explains each superfood in great detail, which allowed me to use my own intuition better in deciding which would benefit me more than another. I tried all of the ...more
Megan Orr
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
If you can get past the horrible glamour shot on the cover to scrutiny read the book... you'll probably be just as disappointed as I was. Self promotion mixed with nonsense fad ideas like "superfoods". I'm sorry but that's a made up term, there are just foods with a higher nutritional value than others.
Waseem
Feb 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book, and could have not come at a better time for me as I battle against UC, this book not only gave me upto date viable solitons but helped me replace a bad for you diet with a much healthier option opening my eyes to much more NUTRITIOUS AND HEALTH BOOSTING FOODS- it's amazing hoe much I picked up and learned from this book...

... My first introduction into David Wolfs book and some of his additional work turning me into a fan and excited to explore even more of him and his other
Elizabeth Ruth-Abramian
Superfoods by Daid Wolfe is a premier acknowledgement of the power of these foods taken along with a diet of pure whole foods that is lacking in health detractors. According to Wolfe, this means following a raw food diet, however he also says you can derive great benefit from superfoods and superfruits with some cooked foods in your diet as well.
The text is a great introduction to fruits you may not know, with recipes given at the end of each monograph.
J.
Jul 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science, health
I enjoyed reading this book very much. I intend to start working out and trying to build mass, and I wanted to read this book into know what high quality foods would lead to the best effect on my workout. I would recommend this to anyone who is interested in trying to improve overall health and longevity. The author provides so much information in this generous sized book but in an easy to understand way.
Buckle Button Zip
Mar 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
David Wolfe knows his superfoods. I'm always looking to tweak my diet and to feel even better. Most of these superfoods I already know about, but don't eat consistently. His research and knowledge of foods have given me a soft push to add them to my grocery cart each week. We've gotten so far away from what's really good for our bodies.
Kathy
Sep 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
There is a lot to take in with this book if you aren't that familiar with basic good nutrition or used to eating everyday processed foods.

There are many options to consider for a wide variety of ways to improve overall and specific health issues caused by 21st century living.

Very useful if you want to prepare to make small or major changes for a long term better health and quality of life.
Maria
Feb 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
A great reference book which is very useful when trying to plan which superfoods to incorporate into your diet, the amount which should be eaten and the form in which it should be taken. I read it cover to cover, but works equally well (perhaps more so) if you are dipping in & out of it. A great reference into the future. We should all eat more superfoods !
Will Jeffries
Apr 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
David Wolfe is so much fun to watch and listen to. He has knowledge just pouring out of his head, at all times.

His passion is definitely educating the world around alternative forms of foods and new healing modalities. I absolutely love the products he endorses. They are legit.

An empowering read.
Helen
Jul 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have read this book twice and keep referring back to it. The author does a great job of providing a history of the super foods, what It does for the body and recipes on how to use. A huge mine of information for anyone serious about improving their health. My cupboard now contains maca powder, goji berries and I try to include spirulina and chlorella recommended by him in my smoothies.
Danae Whitteker
Jun 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is really quite an amazing book! Yummy capabilities of food are incredible. Many of the most common medical issues and maladies could be cured simply by adding these and other superfoods to your diet. Can you imagine what would happen if the medical community embraced the information in this book? The recipe are a nice touch!
Tanner Kauffman
Mar 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A good reference of foods that have incredibly nutritionally dense properties. It talks about Goji Berry, Maca Powder, and Cacao Beans just name a few. You should definitely take a look at this book if your looking for an organic way to improve your health.
Annette
Jun 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
David Wolfe is a force of nature and in this ultimate book about the super and highly nutritious foods that nature has provided us he is also a gift. What a wonderful way to nourish the body and soul.
Claudia
Jul 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: holistic-health
Loved the info given in this book. I believe there are other super foods out there along with these but this book gives a good overview of some super foods I wasn't aware of or have heard only a little about.
Bud
Oct 24, 2011 is currently reading it
My wife, Nikki, and I love eating natural, organic foods. We live in the country south of Montgomery, Alabama and have grounds to grow such. This is just another book we are reading by like-minded people.
Karen Sambogna
Apr 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great book loaded with information on foods that can be both nourishing and healing. He provides a history of each food, details on what to buy, and recommendations on amounts as well as recipes. I have used (and will continue to use) superfoods in my diet and recommend them to my clients.
Super green food powder 1 2 Jan 20, 2018 02:12AM

• Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease: The Revolutionary, Scientifically Proven, Nutrition-Based Cure
  • E-Cubed: Nine More Energy Experiments That Prove Manifesting Magic and Miracles Is Your Full-Time Gig
  • Dynamic Aging: Simple Exercises for Whole-Body Mobility
  • A Little Bit of Everything For Dummies
  • Poems: Three Series, Complete
  • Lose weight: Shortcuts to quick weight loss (Brilliant Little Ideas)
  • Eat to Live: The Revolutionary Formula for Fast and Sustained Weight Loss
  • Undo It!: How Simple Lifestyle Changes Can Reverse Most Chronic Diseases
  • The 7-Day Doubt Diet
  • Just Breathe
  • A Course In Weight Loss: 21 Spiritual Lessons for Surrendering Your Weight Forever
  • Dad Is Fat
  • Zen and the Art of Happiness
  • Cottage by the Sea
  • Auschwitz: A Doctor's Eyewitness Account
  • Since Yesterday: The 1930's in America, September 3, 1929 to September 3, 1939
  • A Year to Live: How to Live This Year as If It Were Your Last
  • The Compound Effect: Jumpstart Your Income, Your Life, Your Success
David Wolfe is a self-proclaimed Nutrition and Wellness Expert. Author of Eating For Beauty, Superfoods: Food and Medicine of the Future, Amazing Grace, Sunfood Diet Success System.