Start by marking “The New Avengers, Volume 9: Secret Invasion, Book 2” as Want to Read:
The New Avengers, Volume 9: Secret Invasion, Book 2

The New Avengers, Volume 9: Secret Invasion, Book 2 (New Avengers, Volume I #9)

3.64  ·  Rating details ·  920 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
Spider-Man versus Captain America in the jungles of the Savage Land But who is who and what is what? At least one of these people isn't who they say they are. Plus, a huge chapter in the Secret Invasion story as more information as to how the Skrulls set their major plans in motion is revealed. Plus, the dark secret of the Illuminati. Could it have brought about the Secret ...more
Published January 14th 2009 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about The New Avengers, Volume 9, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Avengers, Volume 9

Therese
The last two issues of this volume were easily fours stars, but I wasn't quite so impressed with the first three issues, so I'm giving this three stars.

The art was good all the way through, and the story was interesting enough, especially the last two issues.
Sr. Lado Brillante
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, sci-fi
Este volumen sigue expandiendo el universo de Secret Invasion y de nuevo hay dos números de Jim Cheung que justifican todo. Aunque hay otra historia de The Hood para recordarnos que no deja de ser un comic de New Avengers y que ya es hora de regresar a la programación habitual.
Curt
Aug 04, 2017 rated it liked it
A generous three
Matt
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Collects New Avengers issues #43-47

Even though (in publishing chronology) the issues in this collection came out simultaneously as the "Secret Invasion" event issue, I would recommend reading this collection after reading the event collection. The issues in this collection are a mixture of flashbacks (explaining the origins and strategies of the Secret Invasion) and present-day, mini tie-in stories.

This collection had a particularly interesting flashback involving "House of M."
Valery Tzvetanov
Jun 14, 2014 rated it liked it
This is the second tie-in for the Secret Invasion event. I didn’t like that there is not one separate story for this book. We have instead 5 separate issues which are helping us understand better the main event. Some of the stories are good, others not so much. For me, it was really difficult to remember what was going on some occasions and that’s why I’m rereading now the main Secret Invasion. I recommend reading this book simultaneously with the big event.
I’m still missing the art of Leinil Y
J'aime
Apr 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are two New Avengers tie-in trades for the crossover event Secret Invasion. And honestly, there is no good reason, other than greed, why they weren't collated into one book. Never-the-less, they are well worth reading.

The first half of book 2 picks up from the "New Avengers Vol. 8: Secret Invasion, Book 1" Savage Land story. Captain America and the escaped heroes that had been replaced by Skrulls crash there. I'll admit that Cap confused me while reading the main event and other tie-ins. H
Fizzgig76
Reprints New Avengers #43-47. The Secret Invasion continues and the Avengers find themselves caught in the middle. The whole Secret Invasion illustrates problems with Marvel right now (and in general the entire comic book industry). The Secret Invasion limited series was so convoluted and made little sense because it criss-crossed multiple storylines and other books. It couldn't stand alone by itself. If a reader were to try to "jump-in" with anything Secret Invasion related, they would be so lo ...more
Brad
Oct 17, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, marvel
Another set of Secret Invasion side stories, here focusing on the Savage Land heroes, the Skrulls' experiments with the Illuminati , House of M, The Hood's gang of supervillains, and Jessica Jones and Luke Cage. These stories are hit-and-miss. I still don't understand the point of all the Savage Land heroes--the Skrull queen gives a weak "because we can" explanation that doesn't make sense. Similarly, the House of M/Secret Invasion mash-up reads like a justification for that other messy crossove ...more
Holden Attradies
Just like with the last volume, I really enjoyed that this was basically just back story for Secret Invasion. Seeing into the crazy things the Skrulls were doing and why was very enjoyable and seeing the lengths they went to to take Earth out of religious zeal made them all that more chilling.

The ending though, where Jessica Jones gets to steal the spot light once again, was my favorite. I adore her character, although I'm sad that her story now plays out in the background of the New Avengers/Av
Scott Lee
May 29, 2012 rated it liked it
I finished Secret Invasion this morning, and it was better than I expected. Bendis is hit or miss for me, and, honestly, I didn't expect a hit there i was pleasantly surprised to get one. New Avengers is nice, but it reads like deleted scenes or special features. I remember when Marvel would full-on crossover and just be up front about the reader needing to buy several books to get the story. That would be preferable to pretending that these issues contain meaningful quantities of story. They do ...more
Mairi
May 13, 2015 rated it liked it
A collection of good, individual stories that tie in with Secret Invasion. They mostly include recasting of previous events, with the Skrull viewpoint or Skrull involvement explained. While good, they have week (or no, in the case of #44) ties to the New Avengers.

#43 fills us in on the Skrull plans that lead to the ship landing in Savage Land.
#44 is the Skrulls attempting to extract information from clone doubles of the Illuminati (with some really dodgy science about memory and intelligence)
#45
Adam
Jan 22, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
The last two issues in this collection were great. One features The Hood, who has the potential to be a really interesting character, and the other features Luke Cage and Jessica Jones. Both leave things hanging, and I'm excited to see where the stories go next.

The preceding several issues just echo and expand what was going on in the main Secret Invasion storyline, and were pretty stupid. I'll be perfectly happy if no Marvel comic I read ever again takes place in the Savage Land.
Mark
Apr 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, avengers
Shape-shifting aliens have infiltrated the Marvel universe.

This book follows the events of Secret Invasion from the perspective of the New Avengers.

Readers will need to pay attention to follow this complicated but satisfying story.

Notes
Red Hood plays a role.

Learning Curve
Moderate to High: Readers new to Marvel will likely be confused.

Reading Order
Occurs after the start of Civil War.
Chompa
Dec 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-books, 2015
I did a reread of all the New Avengers recently. This is a standout in comics for me on so many levels. It has the best roster, best heart, best dialogue, best writing and phenomenal art. Bendis really nailed this story line and this entire run.
----
The Secret Invasion continues. Honestly, Bendis did a masterful job of stringing plot lines from the start of this series into the secret invasion. The view from the Skrull side was particularly interesting.
Becky
May 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
This was not fair! I was going along, enjoying the comic, and then BAM it was House of M all over again.
Literally.
It cut to the House of M plot and I had to watch Hawkeye devolve and Wanda try to end mutant kind all over again. I WAS NOT WARNED! UG so unimpressed right now.
But otherwise not a bad comic.
Ernest
Jul 26, 2011 rated it liked it
This is a good volume that delves, sometimes into the dark, into the background of Secret Invasion. Unlike some of the other contemporaneous volumes, this one is worth reading as it adds something of value and interest to this storyline.
Patrick
Mar 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
Loving what Marvel has done with the Secret Invasion, Civil War, World War Hulk, all the Norman Osborne taking over stories - how coincidental that these stories are taking place what with what has happened inOUR America the past 10 years!
Alice
Dec 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
More background to the Skrulls Invasion, including during House of M, and a bit of what the villains were up to.

It ends with the start of Dark Reign and Luke and Jessica discovering Skrull-Jarvis took Danielle, which is the main reason I came to read this series after jumping into Dark Reign!
Silas
Sep 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this just as much as the previous volume. It gave some really interesting background for the Secret Invasion and its aftermath, as well as some cool stories that set up the Dark Avengers arc.
Craig
Nov 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
A mess of a book that culminates in a very sweet issue about Luke and Jessica, with art by Michael Gaydos. Why Marvel has not put him and Bendis on a Luke and Jessica book is baffling because that would be WAY better than the wank-fest, continuity snooze-a-thon the rest of this is.
Thomas
Jul 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Mostly side stories to fill out the background of the Secret Invasion. Not all of them are great but they are necessary for a better understanding of this crossover. The final issue (Luke Cage/Jessica Jones storyline) is very well done and probably the high point of this collection.
Zach Danielson
This Secret Invasion tie-in is a collection of stories that fill out the broader plot. It's still pretty confusing, but I found myself enjoying it nonetheless.
Jen
Jun 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good addition to the Secret Invasion main story (better than volume 8). I like seeing Jessica and Luke all parent-y.
Kris
Do you ever feel like you missed a chapter somewhere? The one where they explained everything? Yeah, that.
Sonic
Nov 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was fun,but it was not a cohesive book, unfortunately.
Clay
Jun 23, 2009 rated it liked it
Way better than 8. Story seems back on track. Art is nice and consistent.
Sharon
Nov 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Individual issues on marvel unlimited
Lindsey.parks
Jan 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Never thought about how the villains would handle the Skrull thing.
Shannon Appelcline
Sep 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, comics-marvel
The Hood and Jessica Jones stories in here are great, but as with the Other Secret Invasion Avengers stories, this one is so disconnected that it's hard to enjoy it as a whole.
Christine
May 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, galley
Wow. This is really in-depth. It almost makes you think the writers and bigwigs planned it or something. o.O
  • Secret Invasion: X-Men
  • Fantastic Four: The End
  • Captain America: Road to Reborn
  • Dark Reign: Young Avengers
  • Ultimatum: Requiem

More about Brian Michael Bendis...

New Avengers, Volume I (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The New Avengers, Volume 1: Breakout