Start by marking “The Count of Monte Cristo” as Want to Read:
The Count of Monte Cristo

Read Book* *Different edition

The Count of Monte Cristo

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  694,473 ratings  ·  19,186 reviews
This beloved novel tells the story of Edmond Dantès, wrongfully imprisoned for life in the supposedly impregnable sea fortress, the Château d’If. After a daring escape, and after unearthing a hidden treasure revealed to him by a fellow prisoner, he devotes the rest of his life to tracking down and punishing the enemies who wronged him.

Though a brilliant storyte
Published June 2nd 2009 by Everyman's Library (first published 1844)

To ask other readers questions about The Count of Monte Cristo, please sign up.
Nada Adel You will miss out massively if you read the abridged version. The Count of Monte Cristo has a million subplots, the most intricate character…moreYou will miss out massively if you read the abridged version. The Count of Monte Cristo has a million subplots, the most intricate character relationships and conflicts.
Reading the abridged version of any book is like eating the microwavable version of any meal. Absolutely get the full version.(less)
Rob yes. I do not agree with censcorship. Let them read anything.

·  694,473 ratings  ·  19,186 reviews

Start your review of The Count of Monte Cristo
unknown
Revenge is a dish best served cold. And unabridged. And translated from the French by Robin Buss.

The greatness of this book can be illustrated by the following simple equations:

( count-von-count-sesame-street + monte cristo ) < cover

Whereas, the majesty of the Count of Counting added to the deliciousness of a Monte Cristo sandwich from Bennigans still does not overmatch the inherent kickass value of the Dumas novel [w
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Re-Read on audio and still on my favorites list!

ALL THE FREAKING FEELS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I never in a million years would have thought I would love this book! I never thought I would like something like this book. I never thought I would fall in love with Dantes! I never thought I would have so much anger, sadness, despair and happiness in this book! I never thought, did I!

*********SOME SPOILERS**********

Edmond Dantes was a wonderful man of 19-years-old. He had a
Cynthia
Aug 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: dumas-et-al
** Spoiler alert**

First, make sure you find a copy that is unabridged. Most editions in English ARE abridged, but usually don't say they are. Not sure if this Penguin edition is, it's not the one i read.
Readers generally think of this as a tale of revenge. For me, it was much deeper. I'm not a religious person at all, but for me this is a book that makes you question the existence of God or a god. Edmond Dantes is without flaw, a truly good person, and his life is ruined because a)
Emily May
Picture this: you are nineteen years old with your whole life ahead of you. You've just been offered the job of your dreams. And you're about to marry the person you've loved since childhood. When, suddenly, a couple of jealous men decide to frame you as a Bonapartist (a crime which was punished by death or life imprisonment) and have you sent away to rot in an island prison. I think it's fair to say you'd be feeling a touch bitter about the whole ordeal.

This is what happens to the y
Chris
Jan 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Why did no one tell me about this book? I mean seriously, I was about a hundred pages in and I wanted to go find my freshman high school English teacher and inflict terrible, intricate revenge on her for depriving me of a great book. I figured first I could assume a new identity, perhaps insinuating myself into her life. I'd make her trust me and put all her faith in me, and then I would UTTERLY CRUSH HER!!! MWAH-HA-HA-HA!!!!

Seriously, this was an awesome book. I am not a big fan of
Matthew
Over 1200 pages of suffering and revenge!

I enjoyed it. I did not like it quite as much as some of the other big classics I have read, but it was very good. The two things that brought it down a bit for me were:

- It felt a bit more drawn out than it needed to be. At a couple of points I was ready for Dumas to get to the point.
- Some of the plot was very convoluted. While this did lend itself well to the Count's intricate plotting, I would occasionally get to a chapter and say,
Alex
"all human wisdom is contained in these two words: 'wait' and 'hope'!"

My initial thoughts while staring at this behemoth of a novel were 1) I am going to be reading something very, very descriptive like Victor Hugo's Les Misérables, 2) it is going to take me forever to finish, and 3) I don't think I am ready for this novel, but I am going to start it anyways. Let me state that I LOVE Victor Hugo's work. I think his writing style is beautiful and very poetic, but drawn out. He could probably describe a bla
Chelsea Humphrey
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, library
2019 is the year I get to my backlist and re-read some of the classics I haven't visited in years. It's been over a decade since I last read The Count of Monte Cristo, which is easily my favorite classic novel to date. Looking forward to taking my time through this one alongside my other reads!
Kim

They don't write novels like this anymore. That's because they make television drama series and soap operas instead. To my mind, this novel is the 19th Century equivalent of a long-running and compelling television series. I can readily imagine being a reader of the Journal des Débats between August 1844 and January 1846, impatiently waiting for the next installment of Le Comte de Monte Cristo to be published, eagerly discussing each installment with my friends around the 19th Century equivalent of the wate
Joe
Every soap opera ever produced owes an enormous amount of debt to The Count of Monte Cristo, a sprawling, messy, over-the-top, gleefully melodramatic bitchslap fest.

In fact, I propose that the grandest of bitchslaps be henceforth referred to as a Monte Cristo Bitchslap because of the masterful manner in which Edmond Dantès delivers one colossal bitchslap after another to all who wronged him. And to those who wronged him by association? Thou shalt also receive a furious bitchslap! Clemency shall only
Ahmad Sharabiani
906. Le Comte de Monte-Cristo = The Count of Monte-Cristo, Alexandre Dumas
The Count of Monte Cristo is an adventure novel by French author Alexandre Dumas (père) completed in 1844. It is one of the author's most popular works, along with The Three Musketeers. The Count of Monte Cristo begins just before the Hundred Days period (when Napoleon returned to power after his exile). The historical setting is a fundamental element of the book, an adventure story primarily concerned with themes of
Anne
The Count Of Monte Cristo is the story that teaches us an important moral lesson.
REVENGE IS FUN!

description

I've said it before, I'll say it again: Audiobooks are the only way to go if you're not the sort of reader who likes to read all the shitty filler and crunchy dialogue that normally comes with classic books.
For those of you who think that classics are so much better than anything written in your own lifetime, please don't take olesson.
REVENGE
Ginger
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
WHEW!! I do believe this is the longest book that I’ve read!

Clocking at around 1316 pages on my ole Kindle, it’s a beast of a book. Honestly, this is not something to be taken lightly if you take on this masterpiece.

Not only is it HUGE but it’s a classic. So it’s going to be wordy my friends. They paid authors back in the day for every word that was written.
So my dear Alexandre Dumas, he got bank with this tome!

The Count of Monte Cristo has always been on my bucket list for completing. So late one night after drinking multiple glasses of wine,

I said, “Fuck it! Ltome!
The
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
So one of the nice things Goodreads has done for me is bring me some really cool friends who inspire me to flex my brain a little harder and read more classics. And the unabridged version of The Count of Monte Cristo, clocking in at over 1000 pages, is a monster of a classic.
description

I was familiar with the Count's story from seeing an old movie or two, but reading the book, of course, is a whole different level of experiencing it. The first part of the book filled me with dread as I waited for disaste
J
May 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What does it say about me as a critic when the best book I’ve read all year was first serialized in the 1840s? From start to finish thoroughly enjoyable, Alexandre Dumas’ 1200 page revenge epic The Count of Monte Cristo wastes little time in not thrusting the plot along, quite violently so at times, and includes within a brief, sketchy history of the return of Napoleon and his subsequent second defeat, a primer on hashish, and a proto-seed for the detective tale that would later blossom under Poe and ...more
Celeste
Full review now posted!

I finally finished! I feel like I’ve been reading this forever. Not because I didn’t like it, of course. Au contraire, I loved it! It’s a wonderful book, and definitely deserves it’s status as a classic. But it was dense and intricate and long, and wasn’t a book to be sped through. This tome is meant to be savored, and savor it I did. The Count of Monte Cristo is without a doubt the best tale of vengeance I’ve ever read, and one of the most intricately plotted books I’ve
Brian Yahn
Aug 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is long. Everything about it feels long--from the words, to the sentences, to the scenes. Given that it was serially published -- meaning Dumas made his money by the word -- it's obvious why it's so damn long. But trust me, this story is NOT a waste of time.

What it is--is everything. What starts as a thriller, becomes a Game of Thrones-style soap opera, and finishes as a murder mystery. It's a revenge story, in theory, but more than anything it's about love. It's really an existent
leynes
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: black-writers
It's been a long time coming but I finally found the time to gather my thoughts on this tome. My initial verdict still stands: this was fucking great! It's been a long time since I've read an adventurous novel and even longer that a book with over 1000 pages managed to entertain me from start to finish. So, turn off your TV, log off of Twitter, cancel your Netflix subscription, and get your hands on this book. The Count of Monte Cristo is the gift that keeps on giving.
Life is a storm, my young frien
Darwin8u
Mar 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“All human wisdom is contained in these two words - Wait and Hope”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

description

One of those grand epics like Les Misérables and David Copperfield that does more than create a world the reader temporarily inhabits. This is a novel which creates a whole grand revenge myth. I would second Umberto Eco's take that this is one of the "most grippin
Em Lost In Books
I generally don't read classics. it's only in last 2-3 years that i have started collecting these lovely penguin classics editions and i emphasis here on "collecting" as it is easier than reading. But now i have been slowly going through my physical bookshelf. last year I read David Copperfield and this year it's Idiot and now this. Okay, I started Idiot and Cristo last year and finally finished reading them this year.

Finishing this tome was a real challenge as you get to know within few chapte
Lisa
“When you compare the sorrows of real life to the pleasures of the imaginary one, you will never want to live again, only to dream forever.”

"How on earth are we going to get students to concentrate on learning?" That was my colleague's frustrated question some days ago. "They are just so easily distracted, spoon-fed entertainment all the time. Where do we find time and place for them to absorb the knowledge they need to become persevering, educated, focused and determined grown-ups?"
Joey Woolfardis
Read as part of The Infinite Variety Reading Challenge, based on the BBC's Big Read Poll of 2003.

I have spent the last few weeks-ever since finishing War and Peace-reading Modern Classics, of which genre I am rather new to and not at all enjoying as much as others have lead me to believe I would, and I have never felt a love for Classic Literature so deep within my heart as I did when I finished reading The Count of Monte Cristo. I still retain a hope that a Modern Classic that I enjoy as much as I do pre-20th wo
❄️Nani❄️

PERFECTION. THE END.

12/12/17

Is it at all possible to get this excited!??

HELLO, DEAREST BOOKWORMS, THIS IS A GOOD DAY!

Ever had a book - that one book - that’s stuck with you since the moment you read it? The one that holds a special place in your heart?

I’ve been waiting for the perfect time to finally re-read -yet again- one of my all-time favourite books and the excitement is getting too much. Seriously, I think I'm going to be sick.

I know a re-read doesn’t sound that exciting but this is a book to which I owe SO MUCH DEBT and GRATITUDE. TheEND.
Is
Paula W
Sep 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I decided in January to spend a year reading classics that I never wanted to read. I joined a classics reading group and carefully chose books that I thought I would like, and am thrilled to say that I have read some wonderful stories. I gave books like East of Eden, Wuthering Heights, The Odyssey, and The Master and Margarita a solid 4 stars because I thought they were fantastic. I gave books like Hamlet, Bleak House, and The Idiot 5 stars because they are those rare books that change lives. They definitely changed mine.

Using those criteria
Bradley
FINALLY got around to reading this classic for the first time.

I mean, who doesn't love a GOOD revenge story, right? Alas, it's a lot more than just that! At 1200 pages, don't you think it ought to be? :)

I'll skip a breakdown of the plot because a ton of people will already have done this or watched some version on TV, but since I have also never watched a movie of this, I cannot say how well they do.

I CAN, however, say that I was never bored. Not once. From co
İntellecta
Oct 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
a wonderful classic in which feelings such as patience, plot, love, hatred and revenge were handled as best as possible.
Algernon (Darth Anyan)

"Why read the classics?" asks Italo Calvino in an essay that I know about, but I haven't yet read. My own attempt at an answer is that they are the foundation our current culture and worldview are based on. In another approximate quote that right now I am unable to source correctly : we are able to look further into the world because we are standing on the shoulders of giants. Alexandre Dumas is one of these giants, often mischaracterized as a simple adventure peddler or as a young adult oriente
Aqsa (On Hiatus)
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adapted-books
It was not at all what I expected after watching the awesome movie.. The movie was merely a third of the book and although the basic plot was same, the vengeance that Edmond Dantes takes is quite different . I was disappointed at first to read the different characters (there are many characters) which weren't in the movie and seemed irrelevant but actually they are completely relevant owing to the fact that the next 2 thirds of the book are nothing like the movie...
**Spoiler**
I wish Edmon
Carol
5+ Stars. I do not know how to express the excellence of this amazing story! I do know I will never forget it, and that reading it as a buddy-read made it all the more enjoyable.(great powwow book)

DO NOT miss this remarkable novel. Highly recommend! (and bring on more Alexandre Dumas!)

Update: March 18, 2016

GOD WILL GIVE ME JUSTICE (carved into the wall in the 'memorable' prison scene)

Really enjoyed the 2002 version of the film with Jim Caviezel playing Edmond Dantes, and although the novel is much better and will remain one of my all-time favorites, I actually preferscene)

Really

Dumas!)

book)

DOenjoyable.(great
Richard Derus
Rating: 3.5* of five

The Book Report: .Edmond Dantès is truly on top of the world...he's handsome, young, successful, and about to marry a woman he loves. His boss promoted him, his lady-love's family beams approvingly at their wedding feast, and...

...the police arrive and arrest him for treason (this takes place in the Napoleonic War era, so this was a hot-button topic), he's sent to the Chateau d'If, tortured, held despite protestations if innocence, and finally escapes with the terminal assistance of the Abbé Faria, whfive
The

• The Merchant of Venice
  • Wuthering Heights
  • Dracula
  • Jane Eyre
  • To Kill a Mockingbird (To Kill a Mockingbird, #1)
  • The Little Prince
  • Sense and Sensibility
This note regards Alexandre Dumas, père, the father of Alexandre Dumas, fils (son). For the son, see Alexandre Dumas fils.

Alexandre Dumas, père (French for "father", akin to Senior in English), born Dumas Davy de la Pailleterie, was a French writer, best known for his numerous historical novels of high adventure which have made him one of the most widely read French authors in the world. Many of hi
“I am not proud, but I am happy; and happiness blinds, I think, more than pride.” 2722 likes
“All human wisdom is contained in these two words - Wait and Hope” 2292 likes