Start by marking “The Ickabog” as Want to Read:
The Ickabog

The Ickabog

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  10,756 ratings  ·  1,900 reviews
Once upon a time there was a tiny kingdom called Cornucopia, as rich in happiness as it was in gold, and famous for its food. From the delicate cream cheeses of Kurdsburg to the Hopes-of-Heaven pastries of Chouxville, each was so delicious that people wept with joy as they ate them.

But even in this happy kingdom, a monster lurks. Legend tells of a fearsome creature living
Published November 10th 2020 by Scholastic Inc.

To ask other readers questions about The Ickabog, please sign up.
Virginia I totally agree with you. We'd be denying ourselves some wonderful literature if we read only authors we agreed with on everything. Dr. Seuss started …moreI totally agree with you. We'd be denying ourselves some wonderful literature if we read only authors we agreed with on everything. Dr. Seuss started off being a racist waste of oxygen but was able to change his mindset somewhat - and what would we be without him? Writers need education, not hatred, to change their way of thinking. Thank you for speaking up.(less)
Kristin Strader There are 64 chapters with all chapters being available as of July 10th.

·  10,756 ratings  ·  1,900 reviews

Start your review of The Ickabog
HERALD
Nov 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am absolutely disgusted by these comments.
I am LGBTQ myself and I find nothing offensive. Do you people READ?
J.K.ROWLING is not Transphobic. How Can anyone even be offended by...Sorry...PERIODS.
What an insanely stupid topic. GROW THE F..K UP.

She didn't say anything Anti Trans or Anti LGBTQ. What the HELL happened to the FREE-SPEECH?
You took all her words out of context to create your TOXIC Narrative for your TOXIC Activism.
Our community is literally finished. We do not tarnish an Author's Ima
VOLDEMORT
Nov 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"SOCIAL MEDIA MADE YOU ALL TOO COMFORTABLE WITH DISRESPECTING PEOPLE AND NOT GETTING PUNCHED IN FACE FOR IT."

UNDERSTAND THIS: THERE IS NO WOKE ARMY TO DESTROY SOLID WORKS OF ART.
HOGWARTS IS TOO BIG TO GO DOWN...THE ONLY THING THAT IS GOING DOWN IS THE "TITANIC" OF THE TOXIC ACTIVISTS...
PREPARE FOR A REAL ..."CAREER OF EVIL"

Melinda Borie
Jun 06, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Yeah, on reflection I’m not going to be able to keep reading this. The author keeps doubling down on transphobic rhetoric that’s harmful and I can’t in good conscience enjoy a lighthearted children’s story in that context.
Leon Lee
Sep 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a member of the LGBTQ community myself I don't see anything wrong with JK Rowling's comments and I agree with her! She didn't say anything harmful at all. People are just SO freaking sensitive these days. This ''cancel-culture'' thing is so tiring. As she said herself, there's opinions & there's FACTS, it isn't hate to speak the truth. Also, you can simply disagree with her and move on. You feel offended? Fine. You boycott her work because you're so ''woke'', fine. We don't care! No one does! ...more
HECATE
Nov 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
J.K.ROWLING literally awakened an entire generation into reading...This is not how you Repay her.

J.K.ROWLING could never, even in the vivid imagination that brought us Hogwarts and Harry Potter, have expected the savagery of the woke.

Jayson
(B+) 76% | Good
Notes: Downright Grimm, it's a song of scams and scheming, too on-the-nose and twee for me but teeming deeper meaning.
Rheanna
Jun 14, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf, middle-grade
After everything JK Rowling has said I couldn't bring myself to finish this. And the story was boring anyway. ...more
Tatevik
I don't even know what would be my response for readers who rate the book without reading it and just saying that they started to hate Rowling for her behaviour. I didn't read the latest news about her, as I didn't want anything to have even a little influence on my feelings towards the writer who created my escape world. I love her as an author not because of HP, but for being the contemporary author I read, no matter it's crime fiction or children's literature.
This book was a little surprise a
Miranda Reads
Oh. My. Sweet Jesus.

She's written another.
Samia
Jun 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’m currently on chapter 20, and while I usually refrain from rating a book till I’ve finished it, “The Ickabog” really is that good: despite being a fairytale aimed for younger children, it has not failed to capture my imagination.
I loved the detailed and fascinating descriptions of the Kingdom of Cornucopia, as well as the flaws in the characters which are portrayed as though through the eyes of a child. I love how simplistic and no nonsense the plot is, yet it’s so twisted that it keeps you
Elyse
May 28, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
BAN J. K. ROWLING'S BOOKS. BOYCOTT J. K. ROWLING. Treasure your Harry Potter books for the stories and connections you made in your youth but do not give this monster any more money!

Yay to Daniel Radcliffe and Katie Leung! Emma Watson and Eddie Redmayne! Even Professor Sprout actress Miriam Margolyes
Mariah
Sep 15, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fvck-transphobes

I solemly swear to never again give JKR a single cent of my hard earned money.
Honestly, the amount of trolls this review is drawing is making my mornings so fun.

I'm a lawyer. I argue for a living. Come at me bigots.
Radina ☕ Ravenclaw
Once again Rowling did it, never afraid to write about grown-up problems and serious themes for children. I've never expected any less from her. Can't wait to get my physical copy! Hatred brings only more hatred - a lesson everyone should've learnt as a child but unfortunately many grown-ups can benefit from this book's lessons. ...more
Daniel
Jul 10, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
It is not a bad book but it is written by a transphobic author so I advise you not to read this book.
Not support this person.
And don't forget, trans women are women.
Ava •
I DID NOT ACTUALLY READ THIS!!!! Boycott JKR, no transphobia!!! We stand by our trans, non-binary, and gender non-conforming siblings!!!!!

And don't forget...
Amy
Jun 12, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Did not finish.
In light of the anti-trans remarks that JK Rowling has not only made but doubled down on, we have decided as a family to put this the book down and not continue to read it. To: JK Rowling - children listen to your words. All of them. We are not going to continue to read your words.
Siwa
May 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I all ready know that this is a new bestseller in making. The Ickabog captured me right from the first sentence, just as all J. K. Rowling’s books have the tendency to do.
Samantha Thompson
This is supposed to be a reviewing site of the BOOKS!! Not a political platform for ppl who don't support women's rights.

As always JK has done a magical job of drawing you into this fantasy world. Love, love, LOVED IT and will be buying it to read over n over again. This was the smile in my endless days of lockdown n for that I thank u. 💛

#istandwithjkrowling, like millions of others and if you don't like that keep scrolling, coz no damn is given.
Disha Rs
May 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don’t care if it’s a children’s book, I am going to read it!! 😍
Abbie
Jun 06, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'd bet you can find a children's story written by someone who isn't a transphobe; read that instead! ...more
Somya Dixit
Jul 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read all the 56 updates which have been uploaded by Rowling till now and I am absolutely loving the story so far. The book has a mesmerizing effect, it contains every single thing which a good book requires. I can't really call it a children's book considering the number of deaths that take place and the malice involved. However, it is a perfect representation of a state with a corrupt government and showcases abuse of power. It portrays how when the government is corrupt and the supervis ...more
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
***Warning: Do Not Harm Yourself With Boring Books***

The writing tried too hard. The plot too desperate. The characters too flat. The storytelling too dramatic for nothing. And what's this "Ickabog"? Boo.

And yes, that 2 star rating is for the one who designed the book cover.

Seriously, is this meant to be a children's book?
Like the reading age group is 7 to 11 years. Not even meant to be a middle grade one. Like seriously?! Are you fking kidding me? With all those pretentious characters and dial
Mohammed Arabey
Jun 01, 2020 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Welcome to Cornucopia..

Being quarantined sucks, but with the Queen for Magic telling a serialized story for 7 weeks is sure something to make you hold on..
First Chapter makes you travel without the precautions of "no travelling in the Corona Times", to Cronucopia, with a beautifully describing for this fictional country and its cities..
Second Chapter is where we learn about the Legend of the Ickabog...
Ivana - Diary of Difference
Wishlist | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Ko-fi

When I found out that J.K. Rowling is writing a story for children during lockdown, I didn’t really care. But they were releasing a new chapter each week, and I decided to give it a try and read the first few chapters. Maybe it was the beginning of The Ickabog, or perhaps it was J.K. Rowling’s writing that reminded me of my first time reading Harry Potter. Whatever it was, it hooked me to this story, and I kept coming back for more.

Synop
Aishwarya
Jul 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know how JKR comes up with such interesting ideas.
From publishing few chapters everyday to making another fairytale for kids, which even grown ups like me can enjoy, I enjoyed the ride throughout.
The cutest thing that I found in this book was "Bornding", which I don't wanna spoil for anyone so without giving the meaning away (do read the book though to find out what I am talking about!) I just want to say that the concept is so heart touching and interesting! Nobody is born a monster, th
Liz Curtz
Jun 17, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Found this a very poor choice as a read aloud for an 8 year old especially during the unsettling coronavirus shut down. Cleverly structured to make it hard to put down but lavish violence, cruelty and cavalier dispatching of good characters makes for a disturbing, anxious reading experience. Not at all what I had hoped for, and only wish I could interest my audience in abandoning the book. We did love My Father’s Dragon if you’re looking for an age appropriate fantasy with plenty of adventure.
Sophia Triad
May 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
They lived in the happiest kingdom in the world. What harm could the Ickabog do?

I LOVED IT!
(Although I am not really sure that the target group is 7-9 years old. Death as a main subject is so cruel. I prefer children to be innocent and ignorant for as long as possible. On the other hand when children have to face a pandemic and their life is about to change for ever, it is good to be prepared. Still I wouldn't give it to my 9 year old daughter until I believe she can stomach the story...)
 eleanor*ೃ༄
J.K. Rowling TERF Controversies | Know Your Meme

TRANS RIGHTS ARE HUMAN RIGHTS

and yet again J.K. Umbridge over here tries to make profit over a book about the wrongness of abusing power when she´s abusing her own powers. This book was free on the internet but taken down and physical copies were made to make profit. As a billionaire because of the HP series don´t you think asking for more profits is a little bit too much when writing this book?

-----------------------------------------------------

Edit:
J.k. Rowling being tran
Krystal
Jul 22, 2020 marked it as never-gonna-happen  ·  review of another edition
I have zero time for this close-minded woman or anything she writes.

Plus, offering it free online and then taking it down so you can make money off a print version? Did the HP cash cow run dry?

GTFO

**Edit: 11/20**

Glad to know the royalties are actually going "to help groups who've been particularly impacted by the pandemic". Whoever they may be.

Still don't support her, though.
Ceecee
Dec 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is aimed at younger readers and is an enjoyable read. The legend of the Ickabog takes on a life of its own thanks to King Fred the Fearless Of Cornucopia but especially his snake ministers Lords Spittleworth and Flapoon. I love Daisy Dovetail and Bert Beamish who are very smart kids. It’s dark in places but I think kids rather like dark! The hardback copy is beautifully presented and is high quality and would make a good present. The accompanying picture are drawn by children from all over ...more
Lakeland Public L...: JK Rowling's The Ickabog 1 51 May 27, 2020 02:04PM
Great Middle Grad...: NEW JK ROWLING book the ICKABOG 3 82 May 26, 2020 01:28PM

• The Tradition
  • Recycling Fun (Peppa Pig)
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Green-Eyed Monster
  • Peppa Goes on Holiday (Peppa Pig)
  • Nature Trail (Peppa Pig)
  • Millie's Marvellous Hat
  • Nobody Knows My Name
  • George's New Dinosaur (Peppa Pig)
  • Going Solo: The Extraordinary Rise and Surprising Appeal of Living Alone
  • Ne Ki Hiç - Haikular
  • A Wizard's Dozen: Stories Of The Fantastic
  • Pippa Pepperkorn und die Tiere
  • Nurse Matilda
  • The Hidden Kingdom (Wings of Fire Graphic Novel, #3)
  • The Octonauts and the Great Ghost Reef