Start by marking “The Reluctant Wizard” as Want to Read:
The Reluctant Wizard

The Reluctant Wizard

By day, wizards rule the world. At night, warlocks seek to destroy it. Now, one boy will challenge them both.

Eli never wanted to be a rebel. All he wants is an end to the famine and war threatening his community. To save his mother and baby brother from marauding warlocks, Eli is forced to make a heartbreaking decision. He must travel to Terra Magicae, the mysterious land
Published September 3rd 2020 by A.A. Warne

To ask other readers questions about The Reluctant Wizard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Reluctant Wizard

Start your review of The Reluctant Wizard
Oct 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Are you looking for a read to cure your Harry Potter hangover?
Or maybe for a book with a hero even more awesome than Septimus Heap?
This here is the perfect fit!

THE RELUCTANT WIZARD is a middle-grade YA book that even I, as an adult, don't really want to set down.

A 12 year old boy determined to save his mother and little baby brother from starvation, decides to do the one thing he was always advised to NOT DO!
He joins the Grand Wizardry Academy. At the risk of never being able to return home.

Stu
Jenna Rideout
Sep 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received a review copy of The Reluctant Wizard in conjunction with a blog tour event through Silver Dagger Book Tours. My thoughts on this title are my own and entirely honest.

The Reluctant Wizard is a whirlwind academic fantasy novel of high middle grade to young adult reading level. Our protagonist is Eli, the eldest son of one of the few former students of Terra Magicae to ever leave, and he has been instructed all his life to never attend. Go to the testings to avoid suspicion, but fail t
Happy Booker
Mar 29, 2021 rated it really liked it
The reluctant wizard is a sci-fi fantasy story about Eli. His family is constantly threatened by the warlocks hence, he decides to go to the wizarding world and study magic. Terra Magicae is not an ordinary lace and as the wizards promise to protect his mother and baby brother, Eli enters the Academy and has to leave all behind.

The book is geared towards the young adult audience however, I still found it intriguing to read. The dialogue or plot wasn’t just for the young readers. I have to admit;
GavTam Carrick
Jan 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: completed
I got a copy from the author and I loved it.

Story line was not confusing or misleading but it was still complex. Following the story of Eli I started to love the kid with the massive heart, not many kids these days that would sacrifice like he did for his family and community.

I feel there may even been room for a sequel I hope AA Warne is working on one. I would be very happy to read it.
Jill Smith
Aug 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eli loves his mother and baby brother, and his Uncle Izaec. He’s so devastated at the loss of his father who was his hero. Seeing his mother and brother starve because the war between the Wizards and the Warlocks means they have no food. He can’t see any way of avoiding doing what his father and uncle always told him not to do, he’ll go to Terra Magicae and pass the test he deliberately failed before. Once he’s accepted the Wizards will feed his family and protect them.

When he enters, he is give
Michelle (Chelle's Book Ramblings)
I don't usually read middle grade, but If they were like this book I would read more.
I Loved The well rounded characters, The rich imaginery of The setting, The secrets and all The twists and turns that keep you guessing... This combination of treats plus a dark undertone through The story made it stand out.. It was unique and yet a story that can be read by The whole family.
I want to know more abou Eli, so, I Can't wait For The next Book.

I received an ARC copy of this book in exchange For an ho
Marie Gin
Oct 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is an exciting story that follows a 10 year old boy named Eli, who joins the Wizard Academy and discovers that not all is what it seems.

It’s a grade school/YA book that you will want to discover and grow with. It has hard subjects like war, famine, and loss, but through the eyes and emotions of a child.

Would highly recommend and I’m waiting for the next book to come out!
Cully Mack
Mar 14, 2021 rated it really liked it
Wonder, magic, and suspense. This Harry Potteresq novel has it all!

The Reluctant Wizard is an exciting middle grade/YA fantasy created by a talented storyteller. The high quality writing is a perfect blend of imaginative world building and well-crafted suspense. A suspense which kept me turning pages in eagerness, not only to ensure Eli was safe, but to unravel the mysteries of this authentic world. And that’s where this book excelled.
Eli’s world is divided into five districts surrounding centr
Destiny Bridwell
Feb 25, 2021 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book for a fair and honest review. I have read a lot of books that are set at magical academies, but there was something about this one that seemed different. It was gritty and dark. It is about a 12 year old boy that sacrifices almost everything he knows, wishes and his own freedom to keep his family safe. He goes off to a wizardry academy. The more he does to pass the tests and live by there rules he feels there is more going on then he knows. He knew that everything ...more
Brittany Crow
Aug 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*I received an ARC from the author in exchange for an honest review.

First off, I LOVE the cover art for this book.

I have been following A.A. Warne for a while now and this book is hands down her best yet. The characters are well-rounded, the setting is fun, imaginative, and 3D, but most importantly, the story is not like others in this genre.

Unlike many middle grade readers, this book has some dark grit to it. The kind of grit that makes you feel and relate to Eli's plight.

I love the twists i
Tracey
Mar 14, 2021
Aveston
rated it did not like it
Jun 11, 2021
Mina Gerhart
Sep 01, 2020
Alex
Sep 01, 2020

• Strings of Chance (The Ballad of Bards and Bastards, #1)
  • Midnight King (Shifter Island, #3)
  • Exile (The Nandor Tales, #1)
  • Chuggie and the Desecration of Stagwater
  • The Child of Chaos (The Chronicles of Chaos, #1)
  • Oath Taker (Kingdom of Runes, #1)
  • Colony
  • A Deal with the Elf King (Married to Magic, #1)
  • The Year of the Witching
  • Og-Grim-Dog: The Three-Headed Ogre (Me Three #1)
  • Unplugged
  • Bear Is Not Sleepy
  • Benny Wants a Haircut
  • Max and the Spice Thieves
  • Grown
  • The F List
  • What Can You Do With a Color?
  • Peace
A. A. Warne writes elaborate, strange, dark, and twisted stories. In other words, speculative fiction.
Located at the bottom of the Blue Mountains in Sydney, Australia, Amanda was born an artist and grew up a painter before deciding to study pottery.
But it wasn't until she found the art of the written word that her universe expanded.
A graduate of Western Sydney University in Arts, Amanda now spen

News & Interviews

Secrets between siblings, grandparents with grievances, parents with problems. If you're looking for serious drama, check out these new...