Start by marking “A Deadly Chapter: A Castle Bookshop Mystery” as Want to Read:
A Deadly Chapter: A Castle Bookshop Mystery

A Deadly Chapter: A Castle Bookshop Mystery

(Castle Bookshop Mystery #3)

Kindle Edition
Published March 9th 2021

To ask other readers questions about A Deadly Chapter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Deadly Chapter

Start your review of A Deadly Chapter: A Castle Bookshop Mystery
Phrynne
Feb 03, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5000-2021
As I sat at home recovering from a broken elbow I found myself reading about a character who -broke her elbow! At least I was able to commiserate with Shelby's problems fully.

I enjoyed A Deadly Chapter: A Castle Bookshop Mystery very much. Shelby is an interesting main character. She lives on a houseboat with her cat, runs the local book shop, and has a Miss Marple like belief that the police cannot solve a crime without a bit of help. This of course gets her into a lot of trouble.

The story beg
Nancy Baker
Feb 22, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelby loves living in a houseboat except when she finds a dead body floating next to her home. She knows, and is constantly reminded by the chief of police, that she shouldn't get involved. However the victim's daughter wants help to find out what happened and Shelby really wants to know too. Shelby soon finds her life is full of stress with the murder and two personal decisions that could change her life.

This is a solid mystery with a great setting. With three things going on of importance th
Vintagebooklvr
Sep 16, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Shelby Cox is on an emotional rollercoaster when a long-lost relative shows up and her romantic relationship faces a crucial juncture. Plus, a murdered body is found bumping against her houseboat. There is plenty of drama to fuel this story and keep the reader interested. And the mystery is solid.

I did enjoy the fact that the local police are not happy with Shelby investigating the murder. She makes mistakes that could result in dreadful consequences; she feels bad about it but it doesn't stop h
Kirsti
Oct 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for the chance to read this book!

I have no idea how cozy authors manage to make me so jealous of beautiful locations and setting for books! I really want to live somewhere with a castle, with a bookstore in it that has another store on the mainland. It sounds like a fantasy! I could even handle living on the houseboat if I had such a dream job. Ahem. But enough of that. The mystery! Well, as always with this series, you are intrigued right from the beginn
Kim
Oct 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Author Essie Lang knows how to grab the reader's attention from the start. The mystery is full of twists and turns. The characters s are relatable and intriguing. I look forward to the next book in the series to see how the characters continue to develop.

All thoughts and opinions are my own, and in no way have I been influenced by anyone.
Hannah
Oct 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the third book in Essie Lang's 'Castle Bookshop Mystery' series. Shelby Cox has now lived in Alexandra Bay, NY, for a year. Having moved from Boston, where she worked as an editor, to help her aunt Edie run the two "Bayside Books" bookstores they co-own in Alexandria Bay and on Blye Island (Blye Castle).

This time, Shelby wakes up to find the body of a man floating directly next to her houseboat. The man is identified as Nathan Miller, who at times visited the area for work. Strangely, h
Lisa Morin
Reading a book is supposed to take the reader away, to another place and time, one that will put a smile on your face, and reunite you with old friends. This is exactly what A Deadly Chapter did for me.
Catching up with Shelby Cox, her Aunt Edie, and the other wonderful characters is always fun and exciting.
Visiting Alexandria Bay, the local shops, and of course, Shelby's book store, Bayside Books is definitely a guilty pleasure for this reader.
Shelby has a happy life, she loves her job, her au
Shannon Patterson
A Deadly Chapter is the third book in the Castle Bookshop Mystery series. It can easily be enjoyed as a standalone if you haven't read the others as there isn't really too much carryover. The characters relationships continue to evolve but you're not missing too much stepping in now and they mystery/murder itself is fully contained within.

I really enjoyed the premise of having our nice cozy bookshop on the island and it being this quaint picturesque setting. I could easily imagine the setting an
Jan
The story begins with the bookshop owner discovering a dead body stuck between her houseboat and the dock before she's even had her morning coffee. Turns out that the victim was a regular visitor to town who has recently begun asking after a town resident. Enter her own boyfriend who will be moving six hours away, the prickly police chief, the victims daughter, and a whole host of suspects. Of course the bookseller begins sleuthing! Well plotted with great characters and a positive theme.
I reque
Cate Hart
Dec 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*I received an ARC from netgalley in exchange for an honest review*

I have to say I was a little skeptical about reading this book because I've always had a (highly irrational..) urge to avoid cozy murders that have a cat on the front. I love cats, I love cozy murders, but somehow these covers always put me off. I'm glad to say my unfounded assumptions at least in this instance were entirely wrong and now I'm going to have to go back and read the first two books of the series.

This isn't a super b
Karren Hodgkins
Nov 29, 2020 rated it it was ok
Aunt Edie and Matthew trumped the lead character, Shelby, in my books. The characters are deep and relatable and offered Shelby both support and love.

I struggled to relate to many of Sehlby's perspectives and her complicated relationship with her boyfriend,Zack. I also couldn't understand why someone would ask a relative stranger to assist her find a murderer when the police were investigating. Her 'bull-in-a-china-shop" approach endangered innocent people. Hmmm...

There were a few twists and tur
Elizabeth
Mar 15, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book I've read in this series. I missed the first book, which put me a little behind on the second book, but the author has caught me up and I know who's who now.

I enjoyed this book on several levels. First of all, the characters are becoming more alive for me. I love Edie. She is full of heart and loves Shelby like a daughter. Shelby discovers her mother in this book. She has mixed feelings considering all that happened in her childhood. I also loved the story and the fact sh
M.  [storme reads a lot]
This was not really a cozy mystery.

There was way too much about the personal life of the MC It seemed like it would have more of a fiction feel with just a little mystery. I think the mystery being pushed to the end ruined it for me, but I think it was hard to step into the series in the middle. Not a bad story, but it was not one I loved.
Toni
Feb 14, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This is the third book in the Castle Bookshop mystery series by Essie Lang.

This mystery was quite convoluted but it really works. I wish there was more bookish things in this bookstore mystery but beggars can’t be choosers. And the cast seemed a bit tilted to the female side. Not just female but older females. I understand theme books but this seemed a bit much to me. Minor characters threatened to take this over at times.

Overall it is a good read. I love the castle setting and the myst
Celeste
Nov 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have never read any books in this series but I plan on going back and ready them after this book. I loved reading Shelby trying to figure out the murder. I liked the idea of a bookstore on an island in a castle. I like the authors writing and involving the characters.
Wickedly  Romance
Shelby Cox is back and boy is she on an emotional rollercoaster this time! Shelby has now been living in Alexandra Bay for a year and she is still helping her aunt run the two two "Bayside Books" bookstores they own together. She is also still live on her houseboat where a body is found bumping against it. Okay, I have to say this, if I was living in a houseboat and body ( a murder victim at that) is bumping against it I would move that minute! I'm just saying, that would freak me out a bit.

She
Rima Aiello
Oct 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every single thing about this series is enchanting and this latest installment just adds to the charm. Shelby finds herself once again investigating a body, this time one she finds herself, right outside of her door. Every clue just adds to the mystery and leaves the reader on the edge of their seat. A book and series that is standing the test of time!
Tracy Wood
Jan 19, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelby Cox enjoys her life. She wakes up on a houseboat every morning, runs a book store in a castle and has roast beef at her Aunt Edie's every week. Her boyfriend is working away from Alexandria Bay but that just makes their time together even more special.

Disturbed by a loud noise one morning however, she is shocked to find a dead body wedged between her home and the harbour wall and before she knows it finds herself back in the centre of a murder investigation. Shelby is no stranger to dead
Sara
Jan 13, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
The best cozy mystery series let you go live in an unfamiliar place and different lifestyle with the greatest of ease. Essie Lang fully succeeds in this with her book Deadly Chapters. Shelby Cox lives on a houseboat and works at a bookstore on a small island with a “castle,” one of several in New York, yet something I never knew before. Although Shelby has only lived in Alexandra Bay a short time, she has found her roots and footing here. She’s begun to feel secure and grounded but faces a major ...more
Brenda
Sep 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The third in the Castle Bookshop Mystery Series, this mild cozy mystery is a fun escape. Set in a gorgeous island location in New York one can almost feel the waves of the boat rides, shuttling people back and forth. The charming small bookstore sounds idyllic. And until a body is found next to it, the houseboat sounds heavenly.

Enter Shelby, a book seller and amateur investigator. She is surrounded by friends and her dear Aunt Edie in her small town. Shelby believes police aren't acting quickly
Anne
Dec 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Deadly Chapter by Essie Lang is a cozy mystery with Shelby, the bookstore proprietor who lives on a houseboat. if that isn't fun, enough I'm not sure what is. Of course , there is a murder, a stranger really, until it turns out a lot of people knew him, even though he didn't love there. The sad thing is that Shelby discovered the boys floating between her houseboat and the dock. Off-putting, to say the least. The police were there in no time, including their 70-year-old female chief. An intere ...more
Brenda
Sep 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
A Deadly Chapter is the third installment in the A Castle Bookshop Mystery series set in the Thousand Islands of Upstate New York and featuring book store owner, Shelby Cox. Shelby is enjoying life on her rented houseboat with purrmate JT, running the Bayside Books annex on Blye Island and exploring her new relationship with coast guard boyfriend, Zack Griffin. That is until a mysterious thumping against the hull of her boat reveals a dead man floating in the water.

Shelby realizes that she's see
Anita
Oct 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great mystery with intriguing characters and a plot that had a few surprises. Honestly, though, I thought it took too long for the mystery to be solved. I liked the side plot, which gave the main character something else to worry about, and added some romance. I received an advanced reader's copy in exchange for my honest review. ...more
Sarah  Woodhouse
Jan 20, 2021 rated it really liked it
This is the first book by Essie Lang I have read. I was intrigued by the cover and by the fact that it was set in a bookstore. I absolutely adore cozy mysteries. And I especially love books set in New England. However, I had a bit of trouble with this book.

First off, the good things: I loved the town setting and the community. Shelby's friends and her Aunt Edie are such wonderful, tenderhearted people. You can really imagine yourself living there. And I really liked the idea of this being a boo
Sarah  Woodhouse
Jan 20, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Kay Garrett
Apr 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A DEADLY CHAPTER by Essie Lang is the third book in the Castle Bookshop Mystery series. It’s the well-crafted cozy mystery centered round Shelby Cox, co-owner of Bayside Books alongside her Aunt Edie.

Shelby and her cat, JT, live in a houseboat on the coast of Alexandria Bay, New York. She is the manager of the recently opened second Bayside Books located inside the castle on Blye Island, one of the Thousand Islands off the coast. It’s just a short ferry ride to work. One morning in preparation t
Jeanie
Mar 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This series captivated me from the beginning and gets better with each novel! A booklover’s dream, we visit the beautiful Thousand Islands area of upstate NY, working in a bookstore in a castle on one of the islands. In this compelling third in series, there is a baffling mystery and a huge change of relationships for Shelby. The author’s descriptions of spring in Alexandria Bay brought it to life for this reader, and we learn more about the characters who have cobbled together a wonderful famil ...more
JoAnne McMaster (Any Good Book)
Shelby Cox co-owns Bayside Books along with her Aunt Edie. She works at the second store on Blye Island and lives in a houseboat. Her boyfriend is an investigator for the Coast Guard, and she has a cat named JT. Her life is pretty great...except when she wakes up one morning and finds a body floating against her houseboat. Calling the police chief, she's eventually told she needs to leave and not come back until it's clear.

Showing up at her aunt's home in her pajamas, she wears her borrowed clot
Sharon Tyler
A Deadly Chapter is the third book in the Castle Bookshop Mystery series by Essie Lang. I do suggest reading this series in order for character development and underlying storylines. However, the mystery itself can stand alone.

Bookseller Shelby Cox has already sleuthed two murders from Bayside Books's home base on Blye Island, one of New York State's famed Thousand Islands. And this time, mayhem knocks right on Shelby's waterside door when she finds a body lodged between the side of her houseboa
Missi Martin (Stockwell)
Readers cannot help but fall in love with the Castle Bookshop Mystery series by Essie Lang. Three reasons are in the series name.....Castle.....Bookshop.....Mystery. And when you add everything else into the mix, you are a goner !! A Deadly Chapter is the third book in this series and whether you've read the previous two or this is your first book in the series, you are going to enjoy everything about it.

In A Deadly Chapter readers are hanging around with main character Shelby Cox. Shelby co-ow
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• A Curious Incident (Sherlock Holmes Bookshop Mystery, #6)
  • Under the Cover of Murder (Beyond the Page Bookstore Mystery, #6)
  • Shucked Apart (A Maine Clambake Mystery #9)
  • Murder at the Beacon Bakeshop (A Beacon Bakeshop Mystery Book 1)
  • Ink and Shadows (Secret, Book, & Scone Society, #4)
  • Long Island Iced Tina (Catering Hall Mystery #2)
  • Furbidden Fatality (A Catskills Pet Rescue Mystery #1)
  • A Deadly Edition (Blue Ridge Library Mysteries #5)
  • Absence of Alice (Sarah Winston Garage Sale #9)
  • Death Bee Comes Her (An Oregon Honeycomb Mystery, #1)
  • Deadly Ever After (Lighthouse Library Mystery, #8)
  • Farm to Trouble (Farm to Table Mysteries #1)
  • Undercover Kitty (Second Chance Cat Mystery #8)
  • A Page Marked for Murder (Beyond the Page Bookstore Mystery, #5)
  • The Sign of Death (A Victorian Book Club Mystery #2)
  • The Broken Spine (Beloved Bookroom Mystery, #1)
  • Murder With a View (House-Flipper Mystery #3)
  • Premeditated Mortar (A Fixer-Upper Mystery, #8)

Castle Bookshop Mystery (3 books)
  • Trouble on the Books (Castle Bookshop Mystery #1)
  • Death on the Page (Castle Bookshop Mystery #2)