Start by marking “Captives of Time” as Want to Read:
Captives of Time

Captives of Time

School Library Journal
Grade 7-10
Time is the binding theme in this starkly imagined life in late medieval Europe. Sixteen-year-old Anne's Uncle Albrecht, an ex-monk, seeks to order time as if thus to ascertain the mind of God. But rival forces—a duke, the church, and the town merchants—also seek control of this new power image, the clock, amid social upheavals of laborers,
Mass Market Paperback, 268 pages
Published March 1st 1989 by Laurel Leaf (first published 1987)

drowningmermaid
So excited to be reading this one again! After more than doubling my age since the last read...

Thanks so much to Gaeta1 from "What's the Name of that Book?" I NEVER would have found this again without help.
Bill
Read this in 8th grade, so I don't remember a lot, but it's basically about a girl in the Middle Ages who apprentices herself to her clockmaker uncle and then has to carry on his work, despite living in an era when people didn't trust science very much and trusted girls who could read even less. She also had to care for her mute brother, and fell in love with a knight whom she proceeded to have "more graphic than I was expecting in a book assigned for school" sex with a bunch of times. My whole ...more
Soy
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful, moving, brutal, philosophical coming of age story, necessarily framed in religious faith (and doubt) during the Middle Ages. The brother's and sister's love and devotion to each other, as they struggled to survive as they wandered the countryside, is what I remembered most about it from having read it almost 30 years ago. That and the brother's white hair from being struck by lightning (not a spoiler, you learn this in the first couple pages).

I remember feeling this was the first real
Jenny
Nov 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is not much joy in this book.....

.....but it does capture the harsh realities of survival in 14th century Europe. The highlights for me were the main protagonist learning clock making from her uncle and her and her younger brother’s relationship with Rabbit. Enjoyable but grim at times.
Larrullo
Dec 14, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Cannot recommend this book. From the first chapter the book is a string of terrible things happening...violent and immoral...so many that for the majority of the book I was cringing with each page just waiting for the next awful event.

Though the author may have been describing with some accuracy the medieval period, particularly the mindset of many of its people...it was simply disturbing to me. I'll give the author credit for not going into graphic detail the awful things he writes about, and
Angela Poire
Apr 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember reading this well over twenty years ago. I was in middle school and I clearly remember thinking that I had no idea how this had ever been approved for young people. It's a fantastic book but it contains everything that an accurate depiction of the Black Death and the ensuing social chaos should include.

The one bright point in the main characters life, when she falls in (admittedly ill-advised) love ends with her lover being fatally injured with a gut wound and then gang raped whilst h
Megan
Aug 26, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm currently reading Plague In The Mirror which brought this book to mind. I read it in 6th grade (literally half my life ago) and it has stuck with me since then. I recall enjoying this book, partially for the delicious and slightly unsettling darkness about it. The world was scary and ugly which seemed so perfect for a book in medieval, Black Plague Europe.
With that said, I had trouble remembering the title of the book but was able to find it instantly by adding "rape" to my google search st
Dee Maselle
Nov 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Despite its darkness, this was a favorite when I was a teen. I liked the immersion into the survival quest of a young woman in the Middle Ages. Sometimes terrifying, sometimes tragic, but uplifting in the end. Because of this book, I *still* ask myself how I would survive the worst of the Middle Ages -- what would my marketable skills be; what health measures could I introduce?
Athena
Mar 09, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good book and memorable enough that I still think about it from time to time today, many years after reading it. But at the time I was pretty shocked by some of the content. Good for YA readers, but only if they're mature enough to handle some adult situations.
Kate
May 21, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I must have liked this. After all this time I would expect to remember nothing. I did have to look it up, but I recognized it in the first few words.
Lee Anne
Jan 16, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure
Teen book
Jessica
Nov 22, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The history of the dark ages comes alive with this book, albeit in the worst ways possible.
Chelsea
Oct 02, 2018
Mary Nielsen
Jun 11, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Malcolm Joseph Bosse (1926–2002) was an American author of both young adult and adult novels. His novels are often set in Asia, and have been praised for their cultural and historical information relating to the character's adventures. Bosse mostly wrote historical fiction novels after the publication of The Warlord, which became a best-seller.

Bosse was born in Detroit, Michigan and died in New Yo