Start by marking “Summoned (Demon Summoner Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Summoned (Demon Summoner Trilogy, #1)

Summoned (Demon Summoner Trilogy, #1)

On an empty baseball diamond in a quiet Toronto suburb, a demon has been summoned.

Seventeen-year-old Alton is miles away, just wishing he had a tutor he didn’t outsmart or outmatch. His prayers are answered when Professor Victor Orvius makes an unexpected visit, offering to teach Alton magic without the restrictions. The only condition is that he follow Orvius’ rules and
ebook, 2, 270 pages
Published August 19th 2020 by Independently Published (first published August 27th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Summoned, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Summoned

Start your review of Summoned (Demon Summoner Trilogy, #1)
Rebecca McNutt
Summoned is like Harry Potter mixed with The Lightning Thief, but set in Canada and throwing in a lot of well-placed humour, it's also a book in a league of its own. At face value it's a pretty simple and unoriginal concept. Young witches and wizards have been a staple of fiction for ages, and there's even been a resurgence in it with films like the 1995 picture The Craft, but Summoned is a bit different. It knows its plot is formulaic, but it's not afraid to throw in unexpected things in an uno ...more
Emma Katherine
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read my full review here (much more in blog post): https://lifesanovelty.blogspot.com/20...

Opinions: I am strongly considering rewriting my All-Time Favourites list, because Summoned deserves to be on it! This is the book I've been waiting to read my entire life: supernatural yet casual, demonic yet hilarious. I don't think I'd ever laughed out loud at goats, but now I can proudly say I have. I am impressed with all of the basic things (characters, plot, themes), but even more. Eaton is an excel
Alexander Pyles
Read the original review here.

I’ve been wanting to dig into Mckayla Eaton’s writing for a while, so I jumped on the chance to receive an e-ARC of her debut novel, SUMMONED. What I discovered was a fun fantasy, though subtly-layered in the tradition of YA. Set up as the first of THE DEMON SUMMONER trilogy, Eaton has made an engrossing addition to the shelves of coming-of-age, YA fantasies.

Alton is seventeen and bored. He wished he had a tutor that he could actually present a challenge to his wits
Energy
Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We start off with a demon being summoned which can never be a good thing. But Eaton lets that sit as she introduces Alton, who has been trying to learn everything he can to become a wizard before his exams. He's sought after and then left many tutors in search of the best one, only now, one has come to him.

Orvius promises Alton a better way of tutoring, and there in his home, Alton learns he will be training with a girl named Regan. He's never trained with a girl before as it was against the ru
Becs
Sep 07, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-reads
Blog | Bookstagram | Twitter

TRIGGER WARNINGS: Talk of death, violence

Review:
I want to thank The Parliament House for sending me an eBook ARC to read and review for my honest opinion. I originally rated this a 4 out of 5 stars but after much thought and consideration, I am dropping it to a 3.5 out of 5 stars.

Summoned follows Alton, a bored and seventeen year old who wishes to have a new tutor that allows a more challenging experience in Alton’s magic studies. This is where Professor Victor Orvius
Kirsty Stanley
Oct 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Think of this as private tutoring for witches and wizards, rather than magic school. We get some "textbook" worldbuilding at the beginning of some chapters - as in reading snippets from a magical handbook.

There's plenty of intrigue for Alton when Professor Orvius turns up and Alton is either not one to shy away from adventure, or is so bored that he is eager to be led astray. Orvius clearly knows more than he is letting on from the start and it is interesting trying to work out his intentions.
Karli
Aug 08, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Summoned was a good start to a new series about wizards and demons. It set up an interesting premise that can lead into a very compelling turn of events!
First, I'll talk about the characters. Everyone's personalities were very defined and their goals were made clear. I would've liked to see all of the characters and their relations with each other fleshed out more. That's probably my biggest critique. There were many things that were touched upon that I would've loved to learn more about through
Angela
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this as an eARC to read for free in exchange for my honest review. Thank you to The Parliament House for giving me access.

Mckayla Eaton created a modern day world with magic and I want to be a part of it.

If you are a fan of Harry Potter, then you will probably enjoy this. As The Parliament House describes it as a “more mature than Harry Potter”, I definitely agree. I find it to be a more fast paced, condensed version but entirely different at the same time.

Summoned is a fast paced rea
Lisa Wilkes
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although I rarely read fantasy novels, I decided to give this book a chance because it sounded intriguing. Summoned superseded all my expectations. This delightful tale was easy to follow, even for those with a limited knowledge of magic and/or magical beings. Summoned provided an introduction into the world of wizardry through excerpts from a handbook (basically, an all-inclusive textbook) for the young and magical. The characters were sharp-tongued and humorous, capturing the range of emotions ...more
Paige Green
I didn't mean to 1 star this read and the Goodreads app is trash, but I did mean to put it on my problematic books or authors list. This author refuses to listen to POC authors about her hurtful words and plays victim on Twitter.
Deanna
Sep 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
First I want to say thank you to The Parliament House Press for an ARC of this book in exchange for my honest review. This book was an overall fun read! I was slightly confused in the very beginning but it was quickly cleared up. The storyline was enjoyable and I enjoyed getting to know the characters. All in all this was a fun and easy read and I will definitely be looking forward to future releases in his series.
Monica
Sep 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
Initial Thoughts

I listen to a ton of audiobooks. Before COVID, I had quite a lengthy commute to work so they were a huge lifesaver. Since I work from home now, I wasn’t sure how audiobooks would fit into my life. Turns out, I listen to them even more now. So, I am always looking for new audiobooks to listen to.

Some Things I Liked

Length. This was a really quick listen for me. I easily finished the book in one sitting. I have found that when an audiobook is too long, I sometimes lose interest in t
Zoe L.
Oct 03, 2020 added it
This was such a fun, magical, and fast-paced read! Or should I say listen, since I did the audiobook version of the book? Plus that cover! It’s just so pretty and so spooky and so edgy but classic! I’m a smidge of a cover snob, so I can’t help but talk about the ones I really love. And the book was so fun and the characters were so amazing!

I actually love that this book was set in Canada! I can’t even remember the last book I read that was set in Canada! But even though this is a fantasy book th
Teresa
Oct 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Summoned is my first book by Mckayla Eaton. It is a Young Adult genre book but hey its about magic. I actually enjoyed the book, the story line, the characters, and Mckayla Eaton's writing style were all really good.
Becci Martin is the narrator of this audio book. She does pretty well bringing the story to life. I liked her character voices and attitude.
The books main characters are a couple of teenagers Alton and Reagan and their Tutor Orvius. Reagan is a witch and always has been and was rai
Brooke
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to Parliament House Press for sending me this book to review! Yall are the best :)

This Book, omggggg it is probably my favorite book that I have reviewed for a publisher.

This book is everything I want in a debut from an author. Eaton takes us to a new world that is very awesome. We meet Alton, who wants MORE out of his training, and Orvius, who is going to give him just that.Then we meet Reagan, a sassy fast-on-her-feet witch who keeps Alton and his defensive ways on his toes. They ar
Lynn  2 Girls & A Book
Sep 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Audiobook Review
Overall 4
Story 4
Performance 5

Let me begin by saying that I enjoyed this story. The only thing that bugged me is that the author makes it a point to tell the reader this is not a Harry Potter type magic stories and goes on to point out the differences. Did the story strike a HP cord with me? Yes, but only slightly. There are major differences. Was it necessary for the author to blatantly point out the differences? No, and yet she did. Moving on.

Summoned is a fast-paced YA book ab
Michelle Halliwell
I love Eaton’s powers of description, especially pertaining to setting. She has a fertile imagination and a witty manner of putting it to the page. Eaton excels at creating characters that keep you guessing.

Summoned is a fun adventure about magic, flirting, and overcoming impossible odds. As the first book in a series, it has established a panoply of characters that I can’t wait to see again. It has established Eaton as an author that I will read whenever she publishes.

Eaton has the potential to
Sarah B
Sep 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW! I LOVED this book. It grabbed my attention from the first page and held it until the end. Her writing was fluid and made for a quick and easy read, yet it wasn’t a plain or simple story. The character building wasn’t super in-depth yet, but the reality of Alton and Reagan are very relatable. I appreciated how magic was enter-twinned with everyday tasks. The magic wasn’t over done or simplistic. It was very well thought out.

The book was highly enjoyable!

That ending...Orvius😳

I can’t wait for
Bookishlor
2/5 stars

DNF 30%

I couldn't get into this story even after trying several times. The characters were a bit flat and the story dragged.
Diana Paulding
Sep 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book - can't wait for the next in the series!
Jenna Rideout
Oct 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
I was granded access to an audiobook review copy by the author in exchange for an honest review through my participation in a book tour organized by The AudioBookworm Promotions. Thank you to McKayla Eaton and Jess at AudioBookworm for making this happen! My thoughts in this review are my own.

Story: 4 Stars
Audio Performance: 5 Stars
Overall: 4 Stars

This YA Urban Fantasy is set in a world just like our own, except with magic. Or is it exactly our world and since we aren't magic users, we don't kn
Rachel Carpenter
Chelle
Mar 16, 2020
Amanda Arkans -
Sep 28, 2020

• The Tribulations of August Barton (August Barton, #1)
  • Memento (The Illuminae Files, #0.5)
  • Sisters of the Moon
  • Inferno (The Drone Wars, #2)
  • Nothing to See Here
  • American Royals (American Royals, #1)
  • Alex McKenna & The Geranium Deaths
  • The Chestnut Man
  • Dark Consort (The Dark Dreamer Trilogy, #2)
  • The Silver Serpent (Agatha Oddly, Book 3)
  • The Secret Key (Agatha Oddly, #1)
  • Murder at the Museum (Agatha Oddly, #2)
  • Fire Burn, Cauldron Bubble
  • Into the Spotlight
  • Grown
  • Inferno (Devil Chaser's MC, #1)
  • Abby: Mail Order Bride (Unconventional, #1)
  • Hadley (The Club Girl Diaries #3)