Start by marking “The Last House on Needless Street” as Want to Read:
The Last House on Needless Street

The Last House on Needless Street

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  53,156 ratings  ·  10,098 reviews
This is the story of a serial killer. A stolen child. Revenge. Death. And an ordinary house at the end of an ordinary street.

All these things are true. And yet they are all lies...

You think you know what's inside the last house on Needless Street. You think you've read this story before. That's where you're wrong.

In the dark forest at the end of Needless Street, lies somet
Published March 18th 2021 by Viper

To ask other readers questions about The Last House on Needless Street, please sign up.
Matthew Thanks everyone who replied! OP back to say I read this book and the animal cruelty aspect was not too big a deal to me, and I enjoyed the book very m…moreThanks everyone who replied! OP back to say I read this book and the animal cruelty aspect was not too big a deal to me, and I enjoyed the book very much and would recommend it! In addition to the birds the other folks mentioned, there's some brief nasty stuff that happens to a mouse. But birds, mouse, neither really lingered on or described in too much detail, and do recommend the book!(less)
Catriona Ward
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  53,156 ratings  ·  10,098 reviews

Start your review of The Last House on Needless Street
Nilufer Ozmekik
Mar 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing
My dear friends, please add this brilliant book to your reading list! Okay, I’m making quick connection: not only to add to your list, please read it! This is smart! This is so well written! This is finally out!

First time I am out of words! Anything I may write about this book will be so worthless! None of the words come out my mouth, letters I click, sentences o try to form or expressions I barely articulate will never be enough to reflect how I feel!

I’m extremely flabbergasted, shocked, start
Yun
Aug 26, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-review-copy
There is something odd going on in the boarded-up house at the end of Needless Street. Its inhabitants include a man who drinks a lot, an angry teenage girl who isn't allowed out, and a religious cat. When a new neighbor moves in next door, it seems all their secrets will finally come to light.

Talk about a riveting story. It took me a few chapters to get into the rhythm of this, but once I did, I could not put it down. There is this chilling and discordant atmosphere that permeates the pages and
Emily May
Apr 27, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, 2021, arc
"Everyone has a monster inside them," he says.

Layers under layers under layers.

The Last House on Needless Street is one of those books that starts very strange and then gradually reveals itself over the course of the novel. If you think you have it figured out, I'd wager you're wrong about at least some of it.

Other reviewers said "twist", but this is not one of those books that hands you a kaboom of a reveal and that's it. Be shocked or disappointed, depending on whether or not you figured
Regina
Apr 27, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*Now available! Just in time for October's spooky reading season.*

The Last House on Needless Street is a 5-star book that you may not end up liking, but mark my words - you WILL be hearing about it.

In fact, if you listen hard enough, you may even hear the buzz building already. Though it was published in the U.K. in March, it won’t be available in the U.S. until September. So what are North American bibliophiles doing to get copies? Firing off requests to publishers, buying them online from U.K.
Paromjit
Feb 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Having read the award winning Catriona Ward's incredible debut, Rawblood, it is not surprising that her latest novel, an atmospheric gothic horror, the darkest of fairytales, is one of the books of 2021. In a place that echoes with lost boys, 11 years ago, the haunted Dee lost her little 6 year old sister, Lulu, the Popsicle Girl, disappearing, never to be seen again. Unsurprisingly, Dee's family disintegrated, and her father is now dead. Dee is left petrified of snakes, thinking she knows who t ...more
MarilynW
May 19, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Last House on Needless Street by Catriona Ward (Author), Christopher Ragland (Narrator)

Eleven years ago Dee and her six year old sister visit a lake with their parents. By the time they leave, the six year old is missing and Dee's family is shattered forever. But Dee is determined to find her sister.

Now, or is it before...time is so twisted and confused and missing for Ted. He lives in the family home, with the windows covered with plywood, the house dusty, cluttered, dark, and falling apar
Susan's Reviews
Whaaaaaaaaaaat!?!?! I am officially all freaked out!!

. . . . . .

I was so close to DNFing this Audiobook because, at first, it was slow going, listening to Ted's description of his cloistered life with his daughter, Lauren, and his cat, Olivia. (I now admit that I should have paid a bit more attention to this part!)

Then, as the story progressed, the bizarre hints of something dark and horrible lurking in the background began to make me feel extremely anxious. I did suspect dissociative personalit
megs_bookrack
**4.5-stars**

In a quiet town, at the end of a typical neighborhood street, sits a well-worn home with boarded-up windows. In the house lives an eccentric man named, Ted.

Ted's daughter, Lauren, sometimes visits. Although she's never seen playing outside, the neighbors can hear her sounds of joy, and sometimes discontent, well enough, ringing through the walls.

Also, residing in the home, is Ted's furry companion, Olivia the cat.

Told through the alternating perspectives of Ted, Olivia and a neighb
Maureen
Feb 13, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Hands up, when I started reading this, I thought it wasn’t going to be for me, but it turns out I was wrong, and I was duly rewarded with a strange, dark, but unique reading experience.

Ted is something of a recluse, he lives in a tumbledown house right beside a spooky forest on Needless Street, he has his cat Olivia for company, and occasional visits from his daughter Lauren. Lauren’s visits are a whirlwind of torment for Ted, (and Olivia) she’s noisy, aggressive, and defiant, but he does his be
Melissa ~ Bantering Books
Jul 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Be sure to visit Bantering Books to read all my latest reviews.

The Last House on Needless Street is . . .
No, it’s . . .
You see, the story is really about . . .

Gah! Sorry, but I just can’t tell you.

If I did, your fun would be spoiled. And believe me, Catriona Ward’s novel is one you do NOT want spoiled.

Here’s what you need to know:

The story is about Ted. Ted lives in the last house on Needless Street with his daughter, Lauren, and his cat, Olivia. A murder has occurred. A child has been stole
Katie Colson
Jan 12, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
May 2022: 5⭐️
Rereading this changed everything. Seeing how in-depth and sensitive Catriona Ward was with the sensitive topics of this book was not only eye-opening but heart-breaking. I felt so bad. The amount of ignorance and negativity in this book is directly reflective of our current society.
I'm so glad this book exists and people have a chance to recognize that trauma does so much more to our brains than depression. The brain can do so many amazing and horrible things. We are not in contro
Meredith (Slowly Catching Up)
Jul 25, 2021 rated it really liked it
Dark and Disconcerting

“The world is full of stuff that doesn’t make sense. But maybe they are connected.”

The Last House on Needless Street is a dark and disturbing story about a man, his teenage daughter, and his bible-reading cat, Olivia. This is all I can say without giving too much away.

There are many layers to the plot and the characters. In the beginning, it is hard to grasp what is going on. The timeline is confusing, and the narration is disorienting: The characters’ version
karen
oooh, goodreads choice awards finalist for best horror 2021! WHAT WILL HAPPEN LET’S FIND OUT!

come on, everybody!

as you may have heard, this book is all about the twist.

there are some books whose whole appeal is hinged on their SHOCKING TWIST SURPRISE (like the disappointing We Were Liars, which wendy darling summed up perfectly in her review). this is not one of those books. however, talking about what makes it so great apart from the resolution becomes a review-challenge of landmine-avoidance.
Kat
Jul 05, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have a little request for those of you who’ve already read this. Could you all raise your hand if the first thought after finishing this book was something like:

“WTF did I just read?!” 😳

Those of you who have yet to read it, and I recommend that you do … just wait. You’ll get what I’m saying soon enough.

Catriona Ward has written the only book I can think of in recent memory that I have no clue how to review without giving spoilers, but here it goes:

Ted lives alone in a boarded up house on Needl
Kat
Conflicted by this one. It started off with a strong atmosphere and intriguing set up. I enjoyed the switching POVs initially, as I was just trying to piece things together, before anything had been confirmed. Around halfway, I think things start to fall apart fast. The conclusion is somehow so predictable, while also being entirely chaotic in its execution. I did not like the last 20-30% at all when the big "reveals" happen. They felt haphazard and cheap.

Also saw a couple reviewers mention an a
Michael David (on hiatus)
HAPPY PUBLICATION DAY!

First word that came to mind after reading this: WOW! I was essentially speechless and needed to get my thoughts in order.

Ted lives in an old house that is dirty, uncared for, and on the verge of being decrepit. He shares the house with his cat, Olivia, and his daughter, Lauren...when she’s able to visit. He values his privacy for many reasons and is not happy when a suspicious woman moves in next door.

As the synopsis states:

“All these things are true. And yet some of them
Jayme
Apr 25, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible, horror, netgalley
ONLY 3 ⭐️ for my enjoyment level of the story
BUT...5 ⭐️ for the spectacular Audible performance by Christopher Ragland!
(I still cannot believe this was just one narrator!)

Sssh! Do you want to know a secret?🤫

👏🏻 Bravo to the marketing team of this novel for saying VERY little, and making us ALL want to know the secrets contained within the pages of this book.

What is said:

That it’s a story of a man named Ted, who lives with his daughter Lauren and his cat Olivia in a house at the end of Needless
Charlotte May
Apr 28, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I am overwhelmed. And I think I have whiplash from all the twists!

“There’s a monster inside each of us...if you let yours out, Ted, it might not eat you.”

Ok, I’ll keep this short because I think going in blind is the best option with this one.

We have 4 POVs. Ted, a loner who lives on Needless Street, no job, no friends and comes across as creepy. Olivia, his pet cat (this is a weird POV but trust me, go with it) and Lauren, Ted’s ‘daughter’ who frequently comes to visit. But something isn’t
Holly  B
A challenging story to review. A challenging story to read.

Once invested, a hard story to put down.

While reading the book and listening to the audio, I was confused, puzzled, and disturbed. It is more than a horror story, it made my pulse race.

3 locks turning - let me in- let me in.....

A feeling of doom, a decrepit house, broken things, a clever cat, shock and surprise and a need to know. You won't know until you know.

Sayonara

An excellent audio!! Thank you Macmillan Audio and NG! OUT in US on
Debra
Apr 24, 2021 rated it really liked it
Wowza! What a story!

All these things are true. And yet they are all lies...

When I first starting reading this, I was instantly intrigued!! A missing girl, a cat that reads the bible and a man with mental health issues! Bring-it-on!

And she does! Catriona Ward brings it on in this book. Try to go in knowing as little as possible. The synopsis is all you need to begin this book.

Because things get interesting and then *BAM* your socks will get knocked off. I loved how original this book was an
Debbie
Do you remember watching the movie The Others (starring Nicole Kidman)? And when you got to the very end, you were, like, "I have to watch this one again!!" Well, it was like that for me with this book!

After reading so many of my Goodreads friends' 4-5 star reviews (thank you, everyone, for NOT spoiling it by spilling the beans!), I just had to get my hands on this book and read it NOW!

Some of my friends know that I prefer to read the Afterword/Author's Note first, but for some reason, I made th
Terrie  Robinson
"The Last House on Needless Street" by Catriona Ward is definitely worth all the hype!

At the end of the Washington wild woods are a dead-end street and a boarded-up house. Inside are a man who drinks too much and can't remember enough, a daughter who isn't allowed outside, and a talking house-cat who sleeps on the stairs and reads the bible.

Are you curious yet?

Outside is a snoopy new next-door neighbor looking for answers in the woods beyond...

At no time did I have any idea what was going on i
Char
Rarely do I struggle to find words about a book that I loved, but I find myself in that position right now. THE LAST HOUSE ON NEEDLESS STREET blew me away.

There are many narratives here and several threads to follow-most of which lead down spoiler lane. But after mulling it over, here is what I've come up with:

This tale is beautifully written and I was immediately drawn to these characters and making assumptions about them. The author's skills in character building are nearly unmatched, and I h
Rebecca (on a review writing break!)
Ted Bannerman lives alone with his cat Olivia in a boarded up house at the end of Needless Street. He's unemployed and drinks a lot. His daughter Lauren comes to visit from time to time, but they never go out when she does, and their relationship is always tense and often violent. When a woman named Dee moves into the abandoned house next door while on a quest to find her sister, who was kidnapped years ago, Ted's life begins to spiral into chaos.

All of these statements👆🏻are true, and yet some o
Michelle
Jun 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Bravo and a round of applause to Catriona Ward!!! 👏👏👏

As I'm sure you have heard the less said is better with this one so I am going to keep this short and sweet.

We hear from 4 points of view. Ted a loner that lives on Needless Street, his cat Olivia, his daughter Lauren, and Dee whose little sister was kidnapped while vacationing at a lake that is close to Needless Street a decade before.

Let me start by saying that this book has a brilliant marketing campaign and a blurb vague enough to intrig
Peter (catching up)
Derange
The Last House on Needless Street is one of those extraordinary books that tell a compelling story through the constant haze of uncertainty, with a gripping dark psychological intensity and fascinating characters that are cleverly blended with beautiful writing.

From the start, there is a dark and menacing atmosphere to the story, but you are not sure if you can automatically jump to the obvious conclusion. As the story continues, you wonder, is this a bluff, a double bluff, a triple blu
Allison (Catching up since hiatus) Faught
The best way to go into this book is completely blind to any information about it. I know that’s tough to do as you want to read everyone’s reviews and see if the plot is a good fit. But this is one of those books that you have to trust and take the plunge so you can ride a hell of a ride. So therefore, I won’t go into specifics on the book, just my thoughts on it overall.

I honestly can’t get over how intricate and well-thought-out this book was. Ward has incredible talent at story-telling and
preoccupiedbybooks
*Now avaliable in the UK! Also I'm so excited that Andy Serkis and Jonathan Cavendish’s Imaginarium Productions are making it into a film!! *

A horrifying, atmospheric and unexpected book, which will challenge what you think, and make you question everything the entire time!

Ted lives in the last house on Needless street, right next to the woods, with his cat and his daughter.
Next door, a woman moves in, looking for her missing sister.
You might think you see where this story about a serial killer
Kay ☄. *. ⋆ catching up mode
My head is spinning. The Last House on Needless Street is full of surprises.

A mind-bending story told by multiple POVs and one of the voices is certainly unexpected. Ted is a reclusive person, the kind who boarded up his windows as not to be seen from the outside. His new neighbor on Needless Street is Dee who moved to this street with a purpose. Their lives are intertwined, which I initially thought were pretty "basic". BUT, dang was I so wrong! I'm still confused, maybe I need therapy. 😵

Yo

• You Deserve Each Other
  • What You Wish For
  • Leave the World Behind
  • One by One
  • The Friend Zone (The Friend Zone, #1)
  • Before I Saw You
  • Transcendent Kingdom
  • Take a Hint, Dani Brown (The Brown Sisters, #2)
  • An Eye for an Eye (Detective Kate Young, #1)
  • The Dark Room
  • A Deadly Education (The Scholomance, #1)
  • Røykteppe (Alexander Blix & Emma Ramm, #2)
  • The Lying Life of Adults
See top shelves…
CATRIONA WARD was born in Washington, DC and grew up in the United States, Kenya, Madagascar, Yemen, and Morocco. She read English at St Edmund Hall, Oxford and is a graduate of the Creative Writing MA at the University of East Anglia. Her fourth novel, the gothic thriller Sundial (2022 - Viper, Tor Nightfire) was Observer Thriller of the Month and a USA Today, CNN and Apple Books selection for be ...more

Articles featuring this book

“Anyway the trick to life is, if you don’t like what is happening, go back to sleep until it stops.” 33 likes
“The young feel pain intensely, I think, because they don’t know yet how deep it can go.” 13 likes