Start by marking “The Summer Seekers” as Want to Read:
The Summer Seekers

The Summer Seekers

Get swept into a summer of sunshine, soul-searching, and shameless matchmaking with this delightfully big-hearted road-trip adventure!

Kathleen is eighty years old. After she has a run-in with an intruder, her daughter wants her to move in to a residential home. But she’s not having any of it. What she craves—what she needs—is adventure.

Liza is drowning under the daily stre
Published May 18th 2021 by HQN

To ask other readers questions about The Summer Seekers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Summer Seekers

Start your review of The Summer Seekers
Tina
This is a Contemporary Romance/Women's Fiction/Chick-Lit. I have to say I really enjoyed this book. I have to say I wish the cover was more wild because I just think that this book cover does not pull me in 100% or makes me want to pick it up. I feel in love with the character Kathleen from the beginning. I loved that she was older (she was in her 80s), but she was still wild and spicy. I feel that she losses her spicy personally later in the book which I wish she did not. Her daughter, Liza's c ...more
Liz
Jun 04, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio, library
This book was a case of incorrect expectations. I was looking for humor, along the lines of The Car Share, and what I got was women’s lit with big doses of romance. Definitely not my normal cup of tea, Earl Grey or otherwise.
The Summer Seekers tackles an eighty year old woman not ready to give up on adventure, her responsible daughter who feels the weight of the world on her shoulders and a 25 year old looking to escape her own life.
As the responsible daughter in my family, I understood Liza’
Jonetta
Kathleen is an 80-year old widow living in Cornwall who hasn’t lost her adventuresome spirit. In her youth, she was the presenter for a show called Summer Seekers, which had her traveling throughout the world. She misses that life and when she has an encounter late one night with an intruder, Kathleen decides now is the time to embark on the road trip she’s always wanted to take…Route 66 in America, from Chicago to Santa Monica. Daughter Liza is beyond concerned and was actually ready to have “t ...more
"Avonna
May 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Check out all of my reviews at: https://www.avonnalovesgenres.com

THE SUMMER SEEKERS by Sarah Morgan is an epic road trip of discovery all wrapped up in this women’s fiction novel for the summer. The adventure, heartbreak, joy and love intertwines between these three protagonists in Ms. Morgan’s enchanting story.

Kathleen is eighty years old and wants one more grand adventure. The original “Summer Seeker” knows she will need help with her planned journey across America on the original Route 66.

Mar
Chris  C - A Midlife Wife
What a lovely story! Fun, witty, tender, and a bit emotional too.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I can only hope that I will be a feisty and eccentric senior that can live in my own home for years to come. Independence is huge for anyone especially those in their later years. I love stories that combine the feisty nature of the elderly and the younger generation who need guidance and wisdom! This book is a fabulous example of that concept.

A beautifully written experience that combines a trip across Americ
Carrie
May 05, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
The Summer Seekers by Sarah Morgan is a contemporary woman’s fiction read full of fun, family, travel and a bit of romance on the open road. The three main characters in this story are from three different generations and all are figuring out their lives in the best way that they can.

Kathleen is now an octogenarian who is still living on her own in her remote home when one night she finds an intruder in her kitchen. With some quick thinking Kathleen subdues the man with a bonk over the head with
May 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great read from Sarah Morgan and one that I thoroughly enjoyed. I felt a little emotional when I had finished it, yearning for the story to carry on even more – a bit like Kathleen’s road trip.

With three female protagonists, initially they seem incredibly contrasting and I could not foresee how Martha and Kathleen would cope on such a lengthy road trip. However, as the novel progresses, we learn so much about Martha, Kathleen and Liza, proving that they each share emotional, turbulent ba
Tabatha (tab.talks.books)
Jun 02, 2021 rated it really liked it
BOOKSTAGRAM | BOOK BLOG | AMAZON

Women’s contemporary fiction takes me 3/4 of the book to get into, but once I get into it—it’s great. This book is about three women. Kathleen who was an absent mother at 40 pursuing her career. Liza is Kathleen daughter who suffered not having her mom their emotionally growing up and thus being a people pleaser and stretching herself thin with her twin daughters & husband. Then there’s Martha a 25-ish woman who’s divorced and self conscious with a family who did
Antonella
lukewarm just like this cover!
Alayne Emmett
May 20, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book it was so well written and I loved the characters. My thanks to netgalley and the publishers for giving me the opportunity to read this book in return for an honest review.
Susan
May 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing
THE SUMMER SEEKERS has got to be the best feel good story I have read in a long time. Hang on to your seats, it’s a crazy rollercoaster ride! At first, the story is fun and light. Then it takes a turn and gets emotional and deals with many different heavy situations. Kathleen is eighty years young and bored. She decides she needs some adventure in her life and hires a driver for a road trip across the USA! While her mother is away her daughter Liza is having a midlife crisis and decides to stay ...more
Sophia
A road trip along Route 66 with an eighty-something and a twenty-something sounded all sorts of summer fun so I snatched up a copy and settled in to enjoy a journey of the soul for three women by a new to me author.

The Summer Seekers opens with Kathleen discovering an intruder in her cottage on the Cornish coast and she quickly dispenses with that danger. While this night-time adventure awakens her after years of simply going through the motions since her husband’s death, her daughter Liza doesn
"What if something happens?"
"I hope something does happen. It will be a crushing disappointment to travel 2,400 miles and not encounter a single adventurous moment."
The perfect summer beach read. Sarah Morgan never fails.

My favorite quote:
"Confidence and bravery can be lost if they're not used."
Rachel Gilbey
Mar 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sarah Morgan's books never fail to cheer me up, and transport me away from the reality of my life and this was it turns out the perfect book for me to read while I was battling with Covid vaccination side affects.

I was able to lose myself within the pages and didn't feel as ill as I was generally feeling while I was reading the story,

And it's such a feel good book about three generations of women, and one epic road trip along Route 66.

We have Kathleen who is 80 and is used to a life of travel
♥Rachel♥
Forty-year-old Liza doesn’t have a whole lot of free time, but lately she’s been using those moments worrying that her marriage is in trouble. Between working, twin teenage daughters, and a never-ending to-do list, there’s no time for herself let alone her marriage. Liza feels overwhelmed and unappreciated, and I was ticked off on her behalf!

Eighty-year-old Kathleen is being pressured by her daughter, Liza, to sell her beloved home by the sea and move into a residential home. Kathleen has always
Bridget

The Summer Seekers is my second novel by Sarah Morgan. This contemporary woman’s fiction read is full of fun, family, travel and soupçons of romance. The three main characters in this story are from different generations and are all trying to get the most from their lives in the best way they can.

The reader is introduced to the three protagonists, Kathleen, Liza and Martha. Octogenarian Kathleen has had a road trip on her wish list for years which will take her on Route 66 and on to California.
Hannah
Jun 04, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2021-books
Another easy read from one of my favourite authors.
Kathryn
May 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Firstly interesting characters. Kathleen has lived a life, she likes adventure and not being stuck safe somewhere. She lives in a delightful cottage with a half blind three legged cat. She has a few things in her life that haven't been faced or acknowledged. She keeps to herself and isn't free around emotions and touch.

Her daughter Liza is a modern mother, caring for the family, holding down a job and supporting a busy family life with teenage daughter twins. But... she is denying her own needs,
Karen
May 22, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs-netgalley
The Summer Seekers is an entertaining and fun read and I thoroughly enjoyed following Kathleen and Martha on their journey along Route 66, their adventures and all the places they visited along the way. The imagery the author created here is fabulous and also at Oakwood Cottage, the beach, the weather and the food all sounded beautiful and idyllic. There is a good solid page-turning plot which is really well thought through from the beginning to the end. I enjoyed the touches of humour sprinkled ...more
Elaine
This is a fantastic story about three generations of women, their adventures and their lives….

Kathleen is a very independent eighty year old who is determined not to give in to her daughter’s suggestions that she move into a retirement home. After an unexpected encounter with an intruder and a frying pan, Kathleen decides what she needs is actually an adventure . . . . an adventure driving across America on Route 66.

Her daughter, Liza, is definitely not in favour – but her attempts to thwart her
Linda
Jun 08, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2021

This was a pretty predictable, but fun, "chick-lit" read. I have not read Sarah Morgan before, but will definitely look up some of her Christmas books.
Savanna 🌻
May 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Thank you HQN Books for the free copy!
All thoughts and opinions are my own.

Sarah Morgan never fails to amaze me. Every book I’ve read by her has made my heart happy and leaving me wanting more. As soon as I read the synopsis for this book, I knew I would love it.

We follow 3 different perspectives throughout this story. Kathleen, Liza and Martha. All three of these characters were incredible. I loved Martha’s carefree nature and I loved the feisty side of Kathleen.

After Kathleen experiences an
Susan Peterson
May 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing
The Summer Seekers is a heartwarming book, a journey of self-discovery and reconciliation. The characters in this book, especially Kathleen, Liza, and Martha, quickly became dear to me. I wanted so badly for each of them to find happiness and peace, and a future filled with love. They all three have things to work through, emotional barriers to break down, and I loved being along for the ride. They made me laugh and cry; I worried about them, I celebrated with them. This book needs to be in ever ...more
Robin Loves Reading
From an inviting cover to an inviting story, The Summer Seekers was a wonderful story. A story that was filled with lessons, positivity and change.

Kathleen is an octogenarian and is being pressured by her daughter to move into a residential home after a close call with an intruder. However, she has other ideas. Kathleen hires a driver and embarks on a road trip across America. When Martha sees the ad, although knowing that she barely qualifies, she begins the road trip - 2,400 miles at leas
Brinley
May 14, 2021 rated it really liked it
I really loved this book! I was a bit skeptical at the beginning, but the character development was immaculate. I tried to binge this in one sitting, but sadly, night came a bit too quickly.

My favorite character from this was definitely Kathleen. She was a riot! From the very beginning, I was looking forwards to her segments. I always knew she'd be scheming, and traveling, which never got old.

As for Liza, I didn't like her at the beginning, but I ended up loving her plotline. At the beginning,
Asheley T.
Jun 12, 2021 rated it really liked it
The road trip across the US on Route 66 was a big part of this story, but I don't think it was the biggest part. These three women all had to find themselves after being overwhelmed and unappreciated for far too long. I especially felt connected to Liza who was mother/wife to a very busy family: she in particular felt overlooked and invisible, and she'd had enough of it. I have also felt this way at times in my own life (haven't we all!?) and I appreciated the journey Liza took to take back her ...more
Terri Wino
Jun 01, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2021
3-1/2 stars rounded up to 4.

After two depressing books, The Summer Seekers was just what I needed to get me out of a reading slump. I enjoyed all of the characters in this book, even when they were being curmudgeonly or a bit of a jerk.

Kathleen, Liza, and Martha each had their own issues/burdens they were dealing with, and I found each story equally interesting and engaging. Were there some things in this book that were just a little too perfectly worked out? Sure. Were the male characters all p
Amy
May 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook
There is just something special for me about listening to an audiobook that is narrated by someone with an accent and I could’ve listened to Georgina Sutton’s voice all damn day. It was soothing and melodic and coupled with the beautiful story SM wrote it was an absolutely delightful listen for me.

I’m such a fan of stories about unlikely friendships and the relationship between Kathleen and Martha was just the type of odd pairing that I enjoy. At first glance these two have nothing in common but
Chloe (libraryofchlo)
Told through the perspectives of three women, this story is one of adventure and shows that no matter your age, or your experience in life so far, it's never too late to make a change. Kathleen, Liza and Martha are the hilarious and courageous women in question, and despite their differences, they all show that the destination isn't the important part, it's the journey.

80-year-old Kathleen has recently fought off an intruder in her home with a skillet she used to cook bacon. Despite her daughte
Claire Mc Partlin
Oh I loved this book, such a lovely feeling throughout!

Kathleen is 80 and lives on her own in a beautiful house in Cornwall.  She's always been very independent and an adventurous world traveller so is finding it hard that she's more restricted now due to age.  Her daughter, Liza, is always worrying about her and trying to persuade her to sell and go into assisted living accommodation for her own good, which Kathleen is having none of.  Then, after a run-in with an intruder, Kathleen decides tha
Download PDF/ePub eBook The Summer Seekers: A Novel by Sarah Morgan 1 2 May 15, 2021 07:13AM

• The Road Trip
  • To Sir, with Love
  • A Taste of Home
See top shelves…
About Sarah

USA Today and Sunday Times bestselling author Sarah Morgan writes romance and contemporary women's fiction and her trademark humour and warmth have gained her fans across the globe. Sarah lives near London, England, and when she isn't reading or writing she loves being outdoors.

ONE MORE FOR CHRISTMAS, a warm, funny, family drama that reached number 2 on The Sunday Times bestseller list

News & Interviews