Start by marking “Stowaway” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Stowaway

John David Anderson

Stowaway

The beloved author of Posted and Ms. Bixby's Last Day returns with the first book in a coming-of-age sci-fi duology about Leo, a kid trying to navigate the galaxy in order to save his family—and, possibly, the planet Earth.

When scientists discover a rare and mysterious mineral buried in the Earth’s crust, they have no idea that it just happens to be the most valuable subst
Expected publication: August 3rd 2021 by Walden Pond Press

To ask other readers questions about Stowaway, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stowaway

Start your review of Stowaway
Steff Fox
| Read on Reader Fox |

He liked listening to the classics (Ed Sheeran and Taylor Swift).

Oof. I gotta say, John David Anderson's Stowaway was incredibly boring. I feel bad saying this, because I know that there's certainly some worth in this story--one focused on found families and the concepts of trust and manipulation--but I had such a hard time getting through it. And I think it's telling that you can have fantastic ideas and intriguing plots, but if your characters aren't interesting eno
Serena
Mar 04, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs-or-giveaway
I listened to this as a synthesized voice eARC from NetGalley. It was my first time listening to a book like that and I was aware the entire time that there wasn't a person behind it, we empathize on certain words, or phases, and it was off putting to hear a "man" narrating what was very much a boy's young adult book with monotone. It was sometimes accidentally funny in not-funny spots and some jokes I had to think on before I actually understood why characters where reacting to a scene.

I did li
Laura L
Jan 21, 2021 rated it really liked it
Thank you NetGalley for a free copy in exchange for an honest review!

This wasn't the most original story, it seemed to be a typical science-fiction adventure. There were a lot of current pop references, which seems like it'll date this book quickly.

I would recommend this to someone who doesn't have much science-fiction experience. The story was fun and the characters were memorable
Amanda
Jan 16, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: net-galley
Thanks to NetGalley for giving me an ARC to read! I really enjoyed this exciting adventure, and it is definitely my favorite book by John David Anderson yet. At times it reminded me of Guardians of the Galaxy with its cast of eclectic but lovable, characters roaming space as pirates who straddle the line between right and wrong.
It takes place a bit in the future, and Leo and his brother Gareth live aboard a spaceship where their scientist father works with the friendly alien species the Ayakari
Lisa Nocita
Nov 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
#stowaway #netgalley
Thanks to Net Galley for providing this advance copy of Stowaway.

This is easily Anderson’s best effort yet and that’s saying a lot! You will be drawn in immediately by the writing and swept up in the plot. Fans of Guardians of the Galaxy and Star Wars will find many relatable arcs. Plus there are plenty of Easter eggs for adult readers. Stowaway follows the hero’s journey of young Leo Fender, a plucky and intrepid protagonist. It is set sometime post 2050. In 2044, Alien life
Karen Firstbrook
Dec 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Imagine the world 40 years in the future . . . the people of Earth have discovered they are not alone. In fact, they have learned that the universe is so much more immense than they can ever imagine and that humans are one of the more underdeveloped species! Add to this mix a war between species and Earth being ravaged to develop the most crucial elements for space travel and you've got the backdrop to this Middle Grade Science Fiction novel.
Leo and his brother and father live aboard a space shi
Sirah
Jan 31, 2021 rated it really liked it
When a new powerful element is discovered deep within planet Earth, mankind is excited to discover its many uses. They're not the only ones hungry for technological advance, however, and Earth is quickly plummeted into an intergalactic war over who has the rights to the most powerful fuel source in the universe. Leo's father is a scientist famous for his breakthroughs in V research, and when he is given an opportunity to study the substance on a scientific space expedition, he uproots his alread ...more
Stacy
Dec 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for an advanced readers copy in exchange for an honest review.

4+ stars

Highly enjoyable young adult space book.

Fifty years in the future space travel is real and aliens live on earth. One species of aliens has given Earth lots of technology in exchange for mining rocket fuel and destroying our planet. Aliens are at war with each other over this rocket fuel. Teenagers Leo and Gareth are living on a space ship for three years with their scientist father. When
Rachel Goodman
Jan 07, 2021 rated it really liked it
Thank you to NetGalley and HarperCollins for providing this advance copy of Stowaway.

I absolutely enjoyed this book. From the beginning, the reader is catapulted into a journey of space exploration forty years in the future as we follow Leo and his brother and father. Though this book is aimed for a middle grade/younger audience, the themes of grief and loss resonated with me very strongly, and John David Anderson handles certain sensitive material very delicately.

As a person who struggles with
Margaret
aliens, space travel and pirates!! how exciting!

this story follows Leo as he tries to get back together with his family after an incident in space.  the people he meets and the adventures he encounters are well written, and you find yourself rooting for Leo to complete his mission!.

the flashbacks to his life pre-aliens is well done, and flows well with the story.

the things we find out about alien relations makes us want to find out more, follow Leo on more adventures.

thanks to Netgalley for a
Lizanne Johnson
Feb 19, 2021 rated it really liked it
“Wait! When is book two coming out?! It was a cliffhanger!” So say my middle school library students. I am prepared to hear the complaints. The students will find Leo relatable. Middle school angst is definitely a thing. Sibling problems? A thing. Confusing parents? A thing. Wondering who to trust? A thing. Grief? Definitely a thing. My opinion? I’ll buy this for my middle school library and encourage the kids to check it out and prepare myself for their “complaints.”

Thanks to NetGalley and the
Courtney
Jan 22, 2021 rated it really liked it
Thank you to netgalley and the publisher for the free audiobook in exchange for a honest review!

Leo, his dad and brother live on a research vessel in space working alongside the Ayakari, an alien species they have formed an alliance with. When their vessel is attacked by the enemy, the Djarik, Leo’s father is kidnapped. The rest of the crew is left stranded on their damaged vessel. They are then boarded by pirates. Leo’s brother, Gareth hides Leo on the pirate vessel so he can escape and try to
Hailie Norman
This is a fun middle grade story about a boy who ends up as a Stowaway on a pirates’ spaceship. There are themes of adventure, found family, criminals with hearts of gold. In Stowaway Earth has been attacked by an alien race, and humans live across the galaxy.

Stowaway will be published on August 3, 2021.

I reviewed this title from NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
Jas Asbill
Feb 04, 2021 rated it really liked it
Last week he was playing tag with his big brother and now he has a bounty on his head! How did he come so far from being his mom’s little lion.

Aliens, hackers, exciting escapes, and gun battles. This is a middle grade winner. The only part I wasn’t excited about was the to be continued.

CAWPILE Rating: 8.43
Mandy
Dec 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thanks to Netgalley I was able to read an advance copy of this book. This is a great sci-fi, dystopian novel with plenty of action packed moments. John David Anderson is a great author and this book is no exception! I would recommend to 6th grade and up based on some language and situations.
Cheryl Mizerny
Jan 09, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mg-ya
There is just not enough middle grade science fiction. Combine that with a really fun adventure story and you have a big hit. I have students that will really love this book. Thanks to NetGalley and Walden Pond Press for letting me read this book.
Amy Nicole
Dec 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There needs to be more middle grade sci-fi! I’m so happy to be able to add this to the collection. This was a great story filled with strange aliens, intergalactic pirates, a moody robot, interesting political war strategy, double crosses, and wonderful themes of family and belonging.

There are a few jokes that make this more in the middle grade arena than the lower elementary side of things. For example, there’s a joke about showing a middle finger, kicking people in the groin in self defense,
Anna
Brittany
Edie
Mindy
Jan 13, 2021
Goodreads Librari...: Please delete duplicate editions for this book 7 18 Feb 15, 2021 01:50PM

• Weird Kid
  • The Stars of Whistling Ridge
  • The Canyon's Edge
  • The Shape of Thunder
  • Dead Wednesday
  • The Mysterious Disappearance of Aidan S. (as told to his brother)
  • Fighting Words
  • Amari and the Night Brothers (Supernatural Investigations, #1)
  • Halfway to Harmony
  • Pride and Premeditation (Jane Austen Murder Mystery, #1)
  • Gone to the Woods: Surviving a Lost Childhood
  • The Wife Upstairs
  • Show Me a Sign
There is more than one author with this name in the Goodreads' database ...more