Start by marking “Breathtaking” as Want to Read:
Breathtaking

Breathtaking

To the outside world, Cara’s life seems perfect. The only one who knows the dark secrets inside her home is her best friend and next-door neighbor, Adam. Cara’s only escape is by writing and sharing her stories with him through their facing bedroom windows late at night.

Just when everything seems to get better, Cara’s world shatters, causing her to spiral into a deep depr
Published September 1st 2020 by All the Everythings Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Breathtaking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Breathtaking

Start your review of Breathtaking
Katie (The Storybook Sisters)
UPDATE: HAPPY PUB DAY TO THIS BEAUTIFUL BOOK!! I can't wait for everyone to meet Cara and Adam and Reid and everyone else! Ahhh I loved this book so much.

__________________________________

UPDATE 2: I will be interviewing the the author, Courtney Turcotte Bond herself!! AH I'M SO EXCITED! I'll be posting the interview on my blog, so stay tuned for that!!

__________________________________

Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for providing an eARC of Breathtaking in exchange for an honest review
Apoorva
Sep 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Breathtaking, Courtney's debut novel is a marvelous piece that is motivated by real-life youngsters (the real heroes), and I am so glad that I got to read this one.

Breathtaking is regarding the ties of friendship and affection.

This book not just motivates you but also commits itself to a very worthy cause.

This story not just made me chuckle but also made me weep.

For a detailed review, please click on the link below:

Creya
Sep 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-fuck-yeahs
Thank you to NetGalley and BooksGoSocial for providing a digital copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

I would give this book one hundred stars if I could. We follow Cara at different periods of her life: age eight, the high school years, college, and beyond. We also get glimpses of her life with an alcoholic father and an OCD mother. Bond writes these strong family dynamics flawlessly.

Adam is Cara’s constant. He is there for her through the good and bad. The two friends even make a
Lyndie
Aug 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Breathtaking is a heart-wrenching coming-of-age story that left me absolutely gutted.

Cara Ecrivains and Adam Aether have been best friends nearly their whole lives. Caras family hides behind this perfect facade and the only person in the world who knows the truth and the depth of her pain is Adam. What happens when the one person who makes everything bad disapear, disapears themselves?

Breathtaking is a story of loss, death, grief, depression and finding the strength to live again. This book is
Himani
Sep 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-reads
Okay! I want to confess that I adored this book so much & I am very sure that I can re-read it & cry the same amount of tears. It was a lovely, heartening story & is carved in my mind forever.

Breathtaking is a coming-of-age literary fiction that is said in 3 different times i.e. 1988, 1994 & 2000. It has pulled its inspiration from real-life people.

Cara the protagonist is a literature enthusiast & penning is her way to put her essence on pages. Her parents have a problem in their marriage & her
Lienke
Aug 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow. I just... wow. ALL THE STARS FOR THIS ONE! First of all, I am a sobbing mess, a puddle of emotion, an emotional wreck. This book grabbed my heart in its hand and ripped it out completely only to put it back together again. Honestly, the last time I've felt this many emotions while reading a book was with John Green's The Fault in Our Stars.

“We all have a story - our reason to breathe. We don't get to choose how it begins, the people who enter, or the pain that comes along the way.”

The
Georgi_Lvs_Books
I had picked this up as it talks about Cystic Fibrosis and being a sufferer of this disease I am always interested in reading books about it.

Breathtaking was a hard read! Very emotional and talks about many issues such as addiction, organ donation etc.

An amazing debut!

Damon Parker
Aug 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book could not have been more appropriately titled. It is, quite simply, breathtaking.

Because of the scope of my occupation, the vast majority of the books in my life are of the non-fiction variety. That said, I could not be more grateful that I had the opportunity to read an advanced copy of Breathtaking in exchange for an honest review. I can not remember the last time a book took ahold of me the way that Breathtaking did. I started reading it last night, read until I could no longer stay
Maureen
Aug 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
There is nothing else to add to the previously written comments about this novel. It is perfect. Cara and Adam have been friends forever. Her perfect facade hides an imperfect family life. Adam kindly shares his family with Cara and they coax each other through the difficulties of high school. With each encouraging the other, Cara and Adam have the ability to reach their life goals. I appreciate having the opportunity to be an early reader. All these five-star reviews encouraged me to bump Breat ...more
Peggy Fisher
Jul 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Let me begin with I AM NOT an avid READER by any stretch of the imagination...I am, however, a “well ‘read’ listener”. So, to say that Courtney Turcotte Bond’s novel, BREATHTAKING, is a great weekend read is an justifiably earned compliment! At first, I found it so engaging I perceived it as somewhat simplistic. In the end, the simplicity of the complex is the intrigue of the read.
While coexisting with COVID19 I am repeatedly flailing through the stages of grief over losing life as I knew it. In
Alice
Sep 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was originally pulled in by the beautiful cover of this book. The pretty depiction of the lungs links perfectly with the title ‘Breathtaking’, the themes and the underlying messages of the story. Before I decided to read ‘Breathtaking’ I read the synopsis to get a better idea of what this book was about and it sounded like this would be an emotional rollercoaster. Boy, was that right!

The story dealt with various serious issues that are important to discuss and being to life. Courtney did this
Jessica Townley
Aug 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I didn’t have any idea as to what this book was going to entail and I really do think that’s the best way. You want to experience that raw emotion that will hit you as the story unfolds.

The book is split into three parts, the first we are introduced to Cara & Adam when they are around 8 years old as we begin the story of how these two best friends meet and communicate. Part 2 takes you on their next journey through life as they start school together and Part 3 are the years after school and bey
Sep 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
It is just beautiful. I don't know what else to say the first book that has made me cry in a long time. I absolutely loved the first 2 parts I just wish we could have spent more time in part 3 and expand on that work a little. Despite that minor criticism I am giving it 5 stars it's just so lovely. It's the coming of age story about finding family and finding love. This is such a jumbled review but I stayed up way to late to finish this considering I have to be in class for 8 hours tomorrow.

I w
Angela
Sep 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I could not put this book down. There is something unexpected that ties everything together. So well written you feel emotionally connected to the characters. Follow Cara and Adam from early childhood through the tough times in high school in this well written emotional book!
Eram Hussain
Sep 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"Lets not worry about each other's yesterdays or tomorrows. Lets get to know each others todays ."

Cara lives adjacent to her best friend Adam. They share stories every night through their windows.

Cara's house isn't the typical happy family it seems to look from outside. Her father is an alcoholic who passes out each night as soon as he reaches home. Her mother spends her complete life trying to make the family look perfect on the outside, so much that she forgets even the basic needs of her daug
Cheyenne Bryant
Sep 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing Read

I loved this book and could barely put it down! It is so beautifully written and will have you feeling every emotion that the characters do.
Alexandra Gavrilenko
Aug 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
“Breathtaking” is like a perfectly imperfect story, with just the right amount of mess ups, because if Cara’s or Adam’s life would have been too perfect, who would have believed it?
And yet, this story has enough endearing and perfect bits in it, so that we can remember and recreate these perfect simple pleasures from our childhood and adolescence.
Every family and every relationship has dark spots and bright spots, and that’s ok, because sometimes all we need to know is that we are not alone. And
Sep 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Watch out world! This may be her first book, but the standard has been set and it's a high bar. Not only are all of the feelings displayed in the first few chapters, but the value of human interaction and relationships are consistent throughout the book. As one who loves love, this is a new favorite!
Georgia
Aug 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book broke my heart in so many ways. Cara and Adam were such beautiful characters that I just wanted them to have their happy endings.

Cara Ecrivain has a seemingly perfect life - she lives in a big house and has parents who are perceived as doing well for themselves and that she has a privileged life. However behind closed doors Cara has a cold mother who never shows her love and a father who won't stop drinking. You really see Cara's relationship deteriorate with her father as she grows o
Becky True
Aug 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
“Breathtaking” truly was breathtaking! I couldn’t put it down. Every twist and turn made me want to read more and more. It brought back so many memories of my high school days. The author has an amazing way with words and helped me to visualize and feel like I was right there too. I laughed, cried and felt like I knew the characters. It was a quick, easy read that I completed in just two sittings because I just couldn’t put it down. I can’t wait to read it again!
Lisa Hammond
Aug 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book broke my heart 💔
Faith
Aug 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
“Breathtaking” is an emotional journey that called for reconciliation with my childhood in a way I did not expect. The characters and their individual struggles are poignant, begging readers to consider what it means to build a home outside of ourselves, and how the fallout from that can impact our perception of the world.

Perhaps most importantly, this novel is accessible to readers of all ages and walks of life. What may seem a fairly quick read should not be confused with lack of depth. Conver
Julia Blair
Jul 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was given to me before release for an honest review. At first, I was skeptical as this was the author’s first published work and I wasn’t sure if I would enjoy the book. Once I started reading, I honestly could not put it down. To be able to draw a reader immediately into the feelings of the main character was amazing! I caught myself constantly feeling the same feelings that were being described by the main characters. I laughed, I cried, I cheered, and I was angry. This book will cov ...more
Lindsey Johnston
Sep 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
SO good. I became so attached to these characters and the storyline, and through the beautiful imagery and raw emotions expressed by these characters — I truly felt like I was in it. I sat down and expected to take breaks while reading this and ended up reading all 361 pages in one sitting. I could NOT get enough.

This story takes you through the life of Cara Ecrivain and you’ll quickly learn of the duality between the image her peers perceive of her and the sad reality that hides behind the bric
Jamie
Sep 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: empty-shelf-2020
Beautiful story of friendship, love, loss, and life. An easy read that is hard to put down! Simple story with true-to-life characters you are sure to either love or despise (depending on the character, of course.) There are so many moments in which you will certainly connect with the story-telling; whether you find yourself within the pages relating to experiences, being heart-torn in empathy, or in celebration with them. (Also: Someone should definitely make this into a movie.)

Inspired by a sw
Hannah Davis
Sep 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4.5/5

Well, I don't know what I expected when I got an ARC of this book. It sounded really interesting and I'm in the medical profession so I was curious.

“For now, remember to breathe.”
I CAN'T BREATHE because I'm in emotional pain.

I did not expect to be so utterly destroyed and heartbroken by this book (in the best way ever)!
This book was a roller coaster. A lot of times writing doesn't quite dig at my emotions the way a movie with sounds, visual settings, good acting, and real tears (I'm a sy
Shelly Boyd
Jul 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Breathtaking takes you on an adventure without ever leaving your house! Follow along as Cara Ecrivain tries to navigate through life. Between unburdening childhood family drama and unfair teenage years; you truly feel like you know the characters and are a part of their lives. Courtney Turcotte Bond does a fantastic job of making you feel what the characters are feeling. You’ll laugh and cry along with Cara, Adam, Reid, and the rest of the characters. Be sure to put Breathtaking on your must rea ...more
Riley Garrison
Sep 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Half way through this book I was balling, I remember reading an article about this books release and I knew right away I was going to like it, but little did I know how emotional it was going to be for me. When I got to the half way point it the book I could NOT stop reading, this book was very inspirational for me, and reading why she wrote "Breathtaking" was very eye opening, I hope others feel the same. This book was exactly what it was titled.
Jessica
Sep 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
After I started reading this book I couldn't put it down. I was so curious to read what would happen next. Just when you feel the story is going one way it turns another and the suspense of the unknown is there again. I cried so hard, laughed so hard, and loved this book so hard. It is one of those books that I would read it again and again and never get tired of reading it for years to come.
Hannah
Sep 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Emotionally captivating, beautifully written, and not a book that will be easily forgotten.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Stuck Between the...: Moderator's Pick ~ Katie ~ September 2020 2 7 Sep 04, 2020 09:15AM

• The Tree with a Thousand Apples
  • Hungry Hearts
  • Sonder: Book of Epiphanies
  • The Stone in My Pocket
  • Finding your seat at the table: Creating the ideal career
  • MIЯЯЯO : at THƎ WƎIЯⱭ WAYWAЯⱭ
  • The Rebel Within Her
  • The Entrepreneur Personality: The Traits That Make You A Winner
  • Janaka and Ashtavakra: A Journey Beyond
  • Checkmate Office Politics
  • Embarking Affection: His Edition
  • Astraanam: The Astra Trilogy - Book 1
  • A Treatise of Morality: Morality Uncovered: Everything One Needs to Know about Morality
  • The New Ways of Self Transformation
  • Love & Pollination
  • Birth of the Fae: Locked Out of Heaven
  • Paperboats
  • The Man Who Defeated His Death
Courtney Turcotte Bond proudly grew up in both Lawrence, Kansas and Dayton, Ohio. She holds a bachelor’s degree in Integrated Language Arts Education, a master’s degree in Education, and has been a high school English teacher since 2004. She’s also a small business owner, freelance writer, poet, blogger, and public speaker. When she's not working or writing, you can find Courtney singing along to ...more