Start by marking “A Cry of Stone” as Want to Read:
A Cry of Stone

A Cry of Stone (Children of the Last Days #6)

4.4  ·  Rating details ·  219 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Loosely based on the real lives of a number of native North Americans, A Cry of Stone is the fictional account of the life of a native artist, Rose Wâbos. Abandoned as an infant, Rose is raised by her grandmother, Oldmary Wâbos, in the remotest regions of the northern Ontario wilderness. The story covers a period from 1940 to 1973, chronicling Rose's growth to womanhood, h ...more
Published February 1st 2004 by Ignatius Press (first published April 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about A Cry of Stone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Cry of Stone

John O'Brien
Oct 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'm rating my father's novels here as a fan. I look forward to his books as much as anyone else, and find them deeply moving. I am not unaware of their flaws, but their strengths surpass them, and so abundantly that I find them almost moot. He has a rare gift of penetrating deeply into spiritual truths which is a reflection of the person he is -- an artist who has been refined in a furnace of faith, not unlike many of his characters.

"A Cry of Stone" is about a native Canadian named Rose Wabos fr
Rachel Crooks
Sep 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
I read this book a year ago, and it seems that the process of thought-fermentation has taken hold and brought about new meanings. Good books like this one perpetuate new thoughts and inner growth, while bad books are just easy to forget. What I remember now about the story of Rose Wabos is the idea of being at home anywhere in the world, whether rich or poor, employed or unemployed, having a home or homeless. No matter where she is, she always has the Beating Heart.

This book forced me to reconc
Jaye
Apr 10, 2009 rated it it was ok
Not a favourite among O'brien books I've read.

As usual for Mr. O'brien's books, the character development was very good, but I found that it could have been edited down to a much shorter book...and I am one who loves long books!

There is a mystical feel to this book, despite or perhaps because of, the hardships that the main character encounters.

The settings of the book are varied and interesting and I suspect art lovers might find it particularly interesting.

As I've come to expect from Mr. O'br
Jane G Meyer
Nov 05, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fiction lovers
Shelves: adultfiction
I've already written reviews of this book in other publications and there's simply not the space to tackle this 847 page novel here. I will say that I was stunned by the storytelling and mesmerized by the main character, Rose Wabos. Some of the themes the author explores are: finding peace in hardship, embracing poverty and seeking contentment while feeling God's absence...and the book's language is like inhaling a piece of fine art. It was truly lovely...
Candise
Mar 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Thank goodness my brother gives me these books as gifts as soon as they are published. O'Brien is my most favorite author! This was his most difficult book to read. But I loved it. I loved the art and the pain. I loved the little details of nothingness, and the grand plan of Providence caring for Rose. She is a tiny sparrow, but God sees their needs cares for them.
Maureen
Nov 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is going to haunt me for a long time. Everything that Rose was, and did, and gave, hits me right where it counts, because so much of that humble love is missing in my own heart. A fictional character whose author lets her die in obscurity has the power to affect millions of readers. Affect? Make that change.
Mary G
Feb 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I will never ever forget the character of little "Rose"... This book by Michael D. O'Brien has made an impact on me... While the details of the story may become fuzzy over time - the character of such a humble, special, artistic soul will forever be imprinted on my heart... Thank you Michael!
Jeff Miller
Feb 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Review comingI just finished “A Cry of Stone” by Michael D. O’Brien which is part of his loose series “Children of the Last Days”. I have now read all of his fiction except “Island of the World” which I am sure I will get to. As with all of his books I certainly enjoyed it even though an O’Brien novel is usually anything but fast-paced.

"A Cry of Stone is the fictional account of the life of a native artist, Rose Wâbos. Abandoned as an infant, Rose is raised by her grandmother, Oldmary Wâbos, in
Erika Marie
Jun 02, 2016 rated it liked it
It's been too long since I've read this to give a full review. I'd read it again but I remember it being incredibly long. I do remember that I really enjoyed it. It spoke to me about the depth of life, of suffering, of a soul's anguish and longing for God - not just as a concept - but as a Real and Living Reality. I remember it ended oddly and I didn't quite understand what was going on there in that house? Still, I think I would recommend this and will try and read it again sometime and give a ...more
Emily
Dec 30, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, religion
Like most of his books, it's a bit slow to get started, but there were some thrilling passages that spoke right to me, about life, religion, God's purpose in our lives...so just for that, it is a recommended read. But know that he can take awhile to get going and can be Hawthorne-esque in his descriptions. ("This is a tree. It is large and green and brown. It is by the river. The river is....")
Dan
Dec 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I've read all of O'Brien's novels and this was one of the most powerful. An amazing journey of the life of Rose Wabos - a native of Northern Canada. I don't want to give any of the plot away - but if you've enjoyed any of O'Brien's novels, you'll cherish A Cry of Stone. Ranks up there with the Trilogy and Island of the World as his best work.
Judy Starnes
Jun 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So wonderrful

The author has a breathtaking command of lyrical language and a depth of spiritual wisdom that lingers long after the last word is regretfully complete. One of my favorite books ever.
Joseph
Oct 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
After researching it, this was the first book that Michael D O'Brien wrote. It was a very good book, and it gives Us a look into the Canadian residential school both the good and the bad. I truly enjoyed it.
Helena
Dec 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
very moving!
Meagan Gillan
Aug 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Humility, grace, and surprising perspective of one's true place in God's world. Rose taught me all this and more.
Rose
Jun 12, 2011 rated it it was ok
A pretty good book a little long and quite depressing, not my favorite of his books but very good discriptions.
Betsy
Aug 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful witness of a girl's humble faith.
Kevin
Dec 19, 2016 rated it liked it
A good story but way, way, way too long.
Miriam Williams
A wonderful story, but not my favorite in this series of books.
Debbie Sharum
  • Toward the Gleam
  • Letters from the Desert
  • Life Is Worth Living
  • The Ballad of the White Horse
  • Looking for the King (Inklings, #1)
  • A Postcard from the Volcano: A Novel of Pre-War Germany
  • The Grand Slam: Bobby Jones, America, and the Story of Golf
  • The Jeweler's Shop: A Meditation on the Sacrament of Matrimony Passing on Occasion Into a Drama
  • The Diary of a Country Priest
  • The Loser Letters: A Comic Tale of Life, Death, and Atheism
  • God or Nothing
  • Murder in the Vatican: The Church Mysteries of Sherlock Holmes
  • Jesus of Nazareth, Part Two: Holy Week: From the Entrance into Jerusalem to the Resurrection
Michael D. O'Brien is a Roman Catholic author, artist, and frequent essayist and lecturer on faith and culture, living in Combermere, Ontario, Canada.
More about Michael D. O'Brien...

Children of the Last Days (7 books)
  • Strangers and Sojourners
  • Eclipse of the Sun
  • Plague Journal (Children of the Last Days)
  • Father Elijah: An Apocalypse