Start by marking “Rush: The Beginning (Black Hearts Still Beat, #1)” as Want to Read:
Rush: The Beginning (Black Hearts Still Beat, #1)

Rush: The Beginning

(Black Hearts Still Beat #1)

A brand new emotional and angsty new adult romance from bestselling author of the Rixon Raiders and Wicked Bay series.

The sweetheart of Country is about to show the bad boys of Rock, it only takes a single beat for everything to change.

Evangeline Walker knows how quickly everything can change.

But nothing can prepare her for the moment she meets Rafe Hunter.

Intense gra
Kindle Edition, 3rd Edition, 254 pages
Published July 20th 2020 by Delesty Books (first published November 18th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Rush, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rush

Start your review of Rush: The Beginning (Black Hearts Still Beat, #1)
Wendys Wycked Words
3,5

I am not a really big fan of short stories, but I do sometimes persuade myself to read the prequel of a new series. Especially if I am sure I will be reading that specific series. I hate missing out on important details and whatnot, so skipping is not really an option.

Not an option GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

This prequel was pretty entertaining. I mean L.A. Cotton already had me convinced of this series when I saw the word "rockstars". Count me in!!

There was a bit of a tragedy simmering in the background and it is very clear from the s
NiCoLeTa E. {Addicted To Books}
***4 "The things I want to do with you!!!" stars***

"Maybe there's a reason you're both here, at this exact time. Maybe he's supposed to help you heal."

I used to love rockstar romances, but it's been a while since I've read one...
Don't kick me in the butt, but this was my first book by L.A Cotton, even though I'm flirting with her Riders for a while...
This book has been a lovely introduction in a new series, full of music, romances, and heroes with countless scars inside out!!!

"All i
Danielle's
May 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Audiobook read.

I’ve been wanting to read an L.A. Cotton book for a while and I’m so glad it didn’t disappoint. Evangeline is a cancer survivor, only she doesn’t know how to start living again. When a talent contest offers hope to making money for her family she takes a chance. What she didn’t expect was to meet Rafe Hunter.

This is the first book in a series. There is some beautiful singing in the audiobook and the romance is a slow burn.

No obligation to review however copy was free from the au
Meredith Wilson
Shelves: favorites
Wow! It's no secret that I love rock star romance, and when I found out one of my favorite authors was coming out with this new series, I couldn't help but to dive right in. Rush is the prelude novel to the Black Hearts Still Beat series. It was a fantastic introduction into this whole new world full of romance, heartbreakingly beautiful lyrics and a connection between two scarred souls.

Evangeline Walker has been going through the motions day after day, but not truly living. Not like she did bef
queen_of_the_books_18
”It’s better to have loved and lost a rock star than to never have loved one at all, right?”

Dammit!!
Now I want to fall in love with a rockstar. Specifically Rafe Hunter. Because damn if he wasn’t as swoony as hell!!

I wasn’t sure to expect with Rush, but LA Cotton just made me fall in love with a Rockstar and left me panting for more.

”Rafe Hunter was breathing life back into me, and I was quickly becoming addicted.”

Eva, the aspiring country star, needs a reason to breathe after everything she
nikki
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Because every second I spent with Rafe, the more I felt myself fall. And I was terrified he wouldn’t be there to catch me.” ❤️❤️

Oh boy! While I’m still riding on a high that is LA Cottons Rixon Raiders series, a tiny part of my brain was concerned that while I was still waiting on my baby Ashers book, I wouldn’t have enough space in my heart for someone completely different. My heart is pretty high though, and I needn’t have worried because it welcomed Rafe with open arms and is refusing to le
Tasha Mahoney
I have never listened to an audiobook that contains proper singing within the book. If I had known, then I may have passed this by and that would have been a huge mistake. The singing and the lyrics added a wonderful layer to the book.

Evangeline really moved me with her journey and the impact that it had on her life. Her character is wonderfully developed and thoughtfully created.

As a teen cancer survivor, Evangeline has seen and experienced so much heartache during her young life and carries bu
Dora Koutsoukou
2,5 🤔❤️⭐️s

This story unfortunately was too slow for my preferences.
There were parts that were dragging and lost my interest.
I found very hard to deal with the heroine’s inner pessimistic thoughts or attitude and I can not say it was an exciting read... 😔😔
I will not continue with the rest books in the series.

Buddy read with Tzelina!
Pavlina Read more sleep less blog
I picked this one randomly, it wasn’t bad but I find it a little bit childish in some parts! It was sweet though ! Just not what I expected!
Tzelina
3 🌟
Although it was a slow read it was good enough!!

Buddy reading with Dora 🤣❤️
ABookLover73
Shelves: 2019, arc, rock-star
Review coming soon...
Jasmina Ceha (bbj Bookmarks by Jasmina)
L.A Cotton is new to me author and I went blind into her book but she totally swept me off my feet with Eva and Rafe story and now I need nothing but more of them. Rush was a short story and introduces us into the rock star world. It was refreshing and captivating book full of angst and chemistry between main characters.
Author wrote not only romance book but also told us deep and profound story about young couple who' feeling and life was so complicated.
This story gave me all the feels I was lo
Michelle Krystel
I was given an advance readers copy of this book and have decided to write a voluntary honest review. Wow Rare was so not what I expected I mean Hudson was exactly what I expected but Rafe was so different. Well he was up till the end. But I have to see how I feel in the next book. And Levi man so much to know about these brothers.
bookspaced
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first book of L.A. Cotton and I enjoyed her writing and story telling very much.

This book is full of music and great lyrics that warm your heart and let you feel what all the characters feel very deeply. In the first 50% of the book we learn alot about the main character Evangeline "Eva" Star Walker and her struggles with her past, present and her future. Sadly we don't get to meet the male main character Rafe Hunter until about 45% of the books. For me the book was a little slow in
BLuvsBooks
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“A second?” “Yeah, for everything to change.”

A fantastic introduction to this new world LA Cotton has created.
Rockstars, aspiring country singer, angst, secrets, heartache and original songs!

Eva at 18 years old has just been through a life changing experience and is reluctant to go back to her love of singing and performing.
With the encouragement of her best friend Molly and her parents she enters into a singing contest.
While their she meets Rafe Hunter from the famous rock band Black Heart
Annie Brewer
Oct 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
I plowed through this book in a span of 10, even during working hours. I just couldn’t put it down. I love this authors’ writing and her characters are so relatable! It’s been quite awhile since I’ve read a really good rockstar romance!! I was so hooked.

Eva had been through an ordeal a couple of years ago...a very heartbreaking life-changing event that stole a huge piece of her. She’s only 17 in the beginning but then turns 18. She was such a strong and brave soul after what she’d been through b
Izzie d
May 15, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: music-band
This reads like a YA book but the content and lifestyle of the rock star makes it not.
At the same time things are hinted at but there isn't much detail as to groupies etc.
1 of 3 books.

No intimate scenes other than the Hero and heroine.
No other woman drama.
Ends on a cliffhanger.
Elsa Gomes (BookishAurora)
Rate: 5/ 5 stars

Rush is much more than a novella, it's a beginning. It's the perfect introduction to these characters and this new L A Cotton world.

I started this last night and I could not put it down; yes I read past my bed time and only didn't finish it in one sitting because I can't function on less than 7h of sleep. Evangeline and Rafe take you on a sweet and angsty trip of rendezvous, an instant connection and beautiful yet heartbreaking music.

I adored these two and this book. Evangelin
Weronika -  Little Steamy Reads
„All it takes is a second for everything to change.”

And all it took was a couple of pages to feel a whole range of emotions and to fall in love with this story. Rush: The Beginning is a novella introducing us to the Black Hearts Still Beat series, but it’s so emotionally charged that I’m a puddle of feels. From the very first page L.A. Cotton stole my attention and charmed me with this new world she created.

My heart broke for Evangeline, but at the same time I was cheering her on like a bes
Jennifer G
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Evangeline Walker is alive, but not living. Not like before. Until Rafe Hunter. Thanks to her best friend, she's taking part in a country music competition. Music used to be her dream but that was before. But maybe, just maybe music can help her find her way back. The stage, performing is like coming home; she can breathe again. Then there's Rafe, the lead bassist for the rock band, Black Hearts Still Beat. He makes her remember what it feels like to be alive, to be excited, feel joy, feel pain. ...more
Trish Kitty Taylor  ***narniaandbeyond***
Wow. Just bloody wow. What a prelude, what a way to introduce a love story that is undoubtedly going to ruin me. Rush brings to life a gorgeous girl who whose struggle hurt my heart & a beautiful boy who hides behind a mask that comes with his job.

Both Rafe & Eva’s introduction was phenomenal from the very first Chapter, like literally LAC reached out from the pages, yanked my heart out & stomped all over it. The emotion was raw & so very real, which made the punch to the gut hurt all the more.
Abby J Capps
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it! The characters in this story drew me in!
We have Eva who has faced some hard times in her young age. She lost the light in the process and with it her aspirations. She’s talented though and after her family enters her into a talent show, she decides to go. Enter mysterious bad boy here.
When we meet Rafe you instantly feel the spark between them. Things move fast in a short period, but it doesn’t feel forced so I dig that. Everything felt genuine. I even enjoyed the dynamic between Ev
Becky Rendon
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
L.A. Cotton, you my dear, are a tease!

Rush: The Beginning is just that the beginning. It ends on a high note and is the ultimate tease. Black Hearts Still Beat are going twist your wet panties while you hope for your every wish to come true.

I would laugh if I also didn't want to cry! I'm so torn, angry, and feel like a foolish young girl smitten by the brooding rockstar. Be careful what you wish for! You might just get it!

I am so excited for the next chapter of Eva's life to begin. Im even more
 Mary ❤️ DBO

★5 Stars★💓

Rush is the first book in the Black Hearts Still Beat Series by author  L. A. Cotton, and it is a rock star romance book. I have to say that usually, I am not a fan of the rock star romance genre. I didn't read many books with rock stars, but this book was great for me. It was emotional, heartbreaking, and sweet.

Rafe and Eva are two very different teenagers - almost - adults that live and enjoy their lives very differently. Rafe has the world at his feet because he is part of the mos
Coco.V
May 09, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebie
🎁 FREE on Amazon & on iBooks today (5/9/2020)! 🎁
Kerri’s Reading Corner
A fantastic start to what is sure to be an angst filled, heartbreaking, rock star romance series. LA Cotton is quickly moving up the list of my favorite authors. You want sports romance? She's got it. You want new adult/bully romance? She's got it. And now, she can add rock star romance to her brilliant repertoire.

I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. It was definitely more emotionally charged than I expected. Don't start throwing insults my way, but rock sta
Vanessa ♛Queen Alchemy ϟ Novel Nerd Faction♛
Disclaimer: I received an Advance Reader Copy at no cost from the publisher/author. All opinions in my review are my own.

Be still my heart. This book totally got under my skin. I was captivated by this story from the very start.

I am such a fan of L.A. Cotton and one of the things that I love most about her books is her phenomenal writing style. She has such a magical way of bringing the reader into the story. Her storytelling is atmospheric and so full of feeling. I love how smooth and invitin
Halle Reads
Shelves: arcs-2019
4.5/5 Stars
When Country meets Rock you get the beginning of something beautiful

created-image-1574775501951

Ok um yeah I loved this. After falling in love with the Rixon Raider series by Lianne I knew when she announced her new Rockstar series that I was going to be hooked.

I went into this book blind and pretty much fell headover heels in love with this world and these new characters. Both Eva and Rafe were heartbteakingly beautiful souls with an insane amount of chemistry and I absolutely loved the beginning of their sto
Cassie
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rush was one of those books that captivates you from the beginning. Maybe it was both the main character’s dance around spilling their inner turmoil that kept me nailed to my seat. Perhaps it was the written explanation of how music flows through a musician’s heart and soul. Maybe it was both.

Eva was meant to shine and shine bright. Her journey to where she is at the end of the book was bumpy, to say the least, but I think that combined with her pure intentions to help her family made it easy to
Wickedly Sweet & Synful Book Blog Synclare Moss
Devoured this gem. Holy forking frogs!
Seriously fantastic. I was kinda pissed off that I finished so fast. I need more..now...please.
Eva and Rafe....off the chart chemistry..instant connection that only happens once in a lifetime.
I love this new world that LA Cotton brought to us.
I’m so hungry for Rise..and I have a long wait.
Will I survive the torment or will Lianne have mercy on my soul?

~BREAKDOWN OF RATINGS~
Plot~ 5/5
Main Characters (hero/heroine)~ 5/5
Secondary Characters~ 5/5
The Feels~ 5/5
Pa

• Lake (Trinity Academy #3)
  • A Favor for a Favor (All In, #2)
  • The Husband Checklist
  • Sacrifice (Ryze)
  • Addiction (Seven Deadly Sins, #1)
  • Cruel King (Royal Elite, #0)
  • I Promise You (Dare, #2)
  • Man Cuffed (Man Hands #4)
  • #HEA: Happily Ever After (GearShark #6.5)
  • Come Back for Me (The Arrowood Brothers, #1)
  • Manik
  • Forever My Saint (All The Pretty Things #3)
  • Beauty and the Badge (Charlotte's Cove #1)
  • Ruin (Slay Quartet, #2)
  • Redemption
  • Devious Lies (Cruel Crown, #1)
  • Tap Out (BTU Alumni #2)
See top shelves…
Angsty. Edgy. Addictive Romance

L A COTTON is USA Today and Wall Street Journal bestselling author of over forty mature young adult and new adult novels, LA COTTON is happiest writing the kind of books she loves to read: addictive stories full of teenage angst, tension, twists and turns.

Home is a small town in the middle of England where she currently juggles being a full-time writer with being a

Black Hearts Still Beat (6 books)
  • Rise: The Interlude (Black Hearts Still Beat, #2)
  • Rule: The Finale (Black Hearts Still Beat Book 3)
  • Ruin: The Reprise (Black Hearts Still Beat, #4)
  • Riot (Black Hearts Still Beat, #5)
  • Rift (Black Hearts Still Beat, #6)