Start by marking “God Hates Us All” as Want to Read:
God Hates Us All

God Hates Us All

The critically acclaimed show, Californication, is one of Showtime’s highest rated programs. Averaging about two million viewers an episode, it is the most successfully rated freshman series in Showtime history. A Golden Globe nominee for Best Television Series (Comedy or Musical), Californication features an electric, likeable cast, led by actor David Duchovny, who won a ...more
Published September 15th 2009 by Gallery Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about God Hates Us All, please sign up.
jr hank i don't think if this book exist in real life. it is stage book simple!!!
hank jr…more
i don't think if this book exist in real life. it is stage book simple!!!
hank jr(less)

Start your review of God Hates Us All
Shervin Maddah
Feb 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Seeing as how many people have covered the story of the book, I do not see a reason as to why I should write a review. Instead I have decided to clear the issue/concern regarding this book and its relation to the Showtime hit series Californication

I personally did not know this book existed until a few months back, I knew the story behind the books from the show Castle, but did not know that the same was true of this show... However there IS a difference between the two which I won't get into he
Michael Finocchiaro
Well, if you were a fan of Californication as I was, you might have fun reading Hank Moody's God Hates Us All that he wrote before the series begins. It is not great literature, but it is interesting to see what the show runners imagined as his bestseller and propulsion into the debauchery and lecherous adventures he had over the hilarious seven season run of the show. Crude, funny and outrageous - it is exactly what you would expect from Hank!
Meredith
Dec 22, 2009 rated it liked it
This is a very quick read. When I first opened the book to read it, I was expecting the story from Californication, of how Hank Moody has sex with a minor, with no knowledge of her age. Ask me why I thought this and I wouldn't be able to tell you.

Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised. Unsure of whether Hank Moody was writing about himself or a fictional character in the beginning, I was unsure of the first few chapters. It was then that I realized I couldn't put the book down. The story th
K
Dec 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
All you need is a TITLE!

This book by Moody concerns nothing in it but the title. First it attracts you, then it makes you find the reason of choosing this title in th book, then it makes you sure, that there is nothing special behind this loud title but a spanish replica of a barman.

I read it because I was curious, but now I wish I hadn't - these aren't the fictitious Hank's words, these are the words of some dude trying to be as cool and edgy as he imagines Hank would be.

It just ends up being s
Jevron McCrory
When I started reading this, a clear 5 stars.

Why?

It sounded like Hank Moody from sentence one! That was all this book needed to be. A TV tie in that would have you believe Hank Moody actually wrote it! That was all it needed to be!

As I progressed............4 stars.

And as I got further, and ended.........?

3 stars.

Let me explain.

I'm a Californication expert. I've seen the series through from 1 to 7 a thousand times. I know THIS character, inside and out!

(Only 1 to 4 are worth seeing. Don't wast
Matt Williams
Oct 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this book. Relationships, drugs, lust and love. It's a book about life/growing-up. Fun read and very comical at times!
Yair Ben-Zvi
May 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Who would have thought supplemental/tie in lit could be so well written? Honestly, this is the first book I've read in quite some time that really does have something for nearly everyone. It's dark, funny, witty, compelling, and actually builds a convincing artifice of the real world so much that, if it had been a stand-alone novel, I would've liked it just as much.

The show in which this book sprang from, 'Californication', is a great one. I'm an unabashed fan (went through five seasons in less
Waqas Mhd
Aug 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book I was attracted to because of its title and had some assumptions made already but it turned out to be totally opposite of what I had thought it to be.

Once the shock about the nature of book was over and I got the hang of it, I started to enjoy. Its very light and quick read. It has nothing to do with god or religion. Its a fun novel with a lot of sex and drugs situations which mostly feel cliched. Nevertheless, I liked the wittiness of the characters specially the protagonist. It
Fiona
Nov 05, 2018 rated it liked it
I loved Californication, so of course I bought this book immediately when I saw it in a store some years ago. But then I never actually read it. So even though it has been years that I watched the show, I did recognize the style. This could totally be Hank Moody. Well, actually there is quite little swearing and fucking for a Hank Moody -story. It is a good story but it is not scandalous or groundbreaking shocking. Not at all. But the sense of humor and the writing style do remind of Californica ...more
Chris
Oct 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is the formerly-fictitious book from Showtime's Californication, starring David Duchovny. Duchovny plays writer (and man-slut) Hank Moody, who hit it big with this book - which was made into a mediocre romantic comedy. Until the book was actually published, for real, it was purely a prop and part of the show.

I absolutely loved this book. The writing is very much like the brilliantly written show, which is one of the funniest shows I've seen. The book isn't quite as funny or exciting - it's
Michael
Jan 09, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2000s
While the book God Hates Us All does remind me a lot of Hank Moody and his self destructive lifestyle in the TV show Californication. This book reminded me more of Bret Easton Ellis’s cult classic book Less Than Zero. God Hates Us All follows the story of a lonely young man, desperate to find meaning to his lost and destructive life.

The book is a quick read, full of sex, drugs, rock & roll, abandonment, love, heart break and lust making this an enjoyable blend for an enjoyable read; but I think
William Johnson
Reprinted from my website Secure Immaturity:

I feel like I’m slipping in and out of my universe and into a strange bizarro world where my television heroes are real and I’m, somehow, important in their place in this new world. Because, for the second time no less, I’ve found myself purchasing books by fictional authors from TV Land. The first (currently on order) is Heat Wave by Richard Castle. Keep in mind that Richard Castle is not real. . .he is in fact played by Nathan Fillion on the TV Show
Guillermo
Sep 22, 2010 rated it liked it
Fictional books - as in, the ones that don't exist in the real world - always intrigue me. When I read Wonder Boys by Chabon, I wanted to read the collective works of Grady Tripp and those of "the first real writer" Tripp ever knew - August Van Zorn. So it goes without saying, when Californication came into my life, I wanted to read Hank Moody's novels. My prayers were answered when his novel, God Hates Us All, was released last year. Note: It wasn't the fact that I couldn't afford his book last ...more
Sara
Nov 04, 2012 rated it liked it
So I picked this up at the library because I was intrigued by the title. And it looked like a quick read. But something was definitely odd. There's a red blurb on the cover that says "As featured on the hit Showtime series Californication" which I have never seen. It says it's written by Hank Moody and there's a paragraph on the back cover about Hank Moody which also says the book has been made into a movie - A Crazy Little Thing Called Love.

This all seemed weird to me. What movie is this? So I
Kelli
Jun 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
I reallly really enjoyed this book - I was brought this book as a gift from my husband - At the time what I thought was a very strange gift - Its not my usual type of book - but I am sooo glad I gave it a go.

Anyone familiar with the series Californication starring the ever yummy David Duchovny will know what this book is - Hank Moody in the series is a Writer - down on his luck - with writers block and this cult book that he wrote several years before hand - this is the book.

I originally though
Madeleine
This was too much fun of a read that deserved neither more nor less time than the day it took me to read it. The Ellis-like whirlwind nature of the storytelling was the perfect match for the characters and goings on. And there's even a nicely packaged coming-of-age moral to it, to boot.

I am deeply envious of whoever got to ghostwrite this novel, who deserves extra kudos for so freakishly delivering a voice that could be no one but Moody. I can't say it was a bad thing to actually hear David Duch
Claudia
May 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A quick, fun read. I enjoyed the meta aspect of it: reading a fictional book of a fictional author from a TV show. But, more importantly, I enjoyed the actual book for its own sake: a wry tale of a jaded young man in NYC in the late 80's. Cue ill fated romance with models, parties with wanna-be rock stars and accidental drug dealing. It's basically a slightly less cynical version of Bret Easton Ellis' "Less Than Zero". Well-written and intriguing enough to make you wish it were a real novel by a ...more
Kelly
Apr 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
This book was written to be a prop in the show, which is about all it is good for, as it turns out that fictional characters make contrived and pandering authors. Shame on me, I suppose. I gave it two stars because it had the mercy of being a quick read and I enjoyed the initial hipstertude acquired by saying "I only read fictional characters written by fictional characters" to people. You won this round, curiosity!
Eric
Jan 19, 2010 rated it did not like it
I read this because I really like the show (well, at least the first two seasons) and I wanted to see what they would come up with in this book. There were very few parallels between the two, and most of this book was one big CLICHE.
Rosie Wedge
Apr 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Only just realised I never reviewed this when I read it 3-4years ago, but I remember loving it!
Carlos Lavín
Apr 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
I went all CrazyFanGirlOMFG when I discovered they had actually written God Hates Us All as a bit of a tie-in book. To be honest I wasn't really expecting much, thought it was mostly a marketing move but also assumed that the show's writers surely had dropped a little of their of awesomeness into this, so I figured I might as well give it a shot.

Because I love Californication. I seriously, seriously do.

The book exceeded my expectations. That's the good part. However, they weren't high at all to
Asghar Abbas
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing

April 2014.

Let My Love Open the Door by Pete Townshend

When people keep repeating
That you'll never fall in love
When everybody keeps retreating
But you can't seem to get enough

To your heart

When everything feels all over
Everybody seems unkind
I'll give you a four-leaf clover
Take all worry out of your mind

Let my love open the door

To your heart, to your heart
I have the only key
Literary Multitudes
Jul 26, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of "Californication"
Recommended to Literary Multitudes by: Hank Moody
Well, there is not such a lot to say about this book after all. When I saw that the ficticious book "God Hates Us All" by the ficticious author Hank Moody of the tv show "Californication" was for sale in the real world (aka amazon.co.uk), I simply had to get it.
The blurb declares it to be a "wry little masterpiece", and while it is wry and little, a masterpiece it is not. Of course not. But it was a very fun read.

More from the book cover:
God Hates Us All is a coming-of-age tale for the apathetic
Samuel Ch.
Dec 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biblioteca
The phrase "Drugs, Sex & Rock'n'Roll" never felt so good before.

I'm impressed how this book broke up all my stupid expectatives.
At first I thought it was some kind of inside joke, like some promotion for the Californication series, or a simple prop like a Death Note or a cosplay accesory. Turns out the book is great, and it deserves all the attention.

God bless you, Hank Moody. Even if you don't deserve it. This book gives to the series an aura of reality. Hank Moody is a great writer, you don't
Felicitas Träumer
Apr 25, 2011 rated it liked it
I didn't really know whether to appoint three stars or four. I decided for three and here is why:

God hates us all is the book that Hank Moody from Californication wrote and that turned into the movie A crazy little thing called love. So far. It starts off with a weird love story that turns into disaster. Both main characters - each on their own - get from one disaster to the next in their lives until they meet and fall in love again. It works out fine for some time but then it ends with one of
Laura Fudge
Apr 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
I’ve watched 5 series of Californication, and loved them, so I bought this book on a whim whilst browsing on Amazon. I didn’t expect much as it’s a book written by a fictional character, but I was pleasantly surprised.

I really enjoyed this and could barely put it down – only having to go to work or falling asleep with it in my hands stopped me from reading this in one go. It is narrated by the main character, and is very easy to read, with likeable characters, and funny dialogue.

The main charact
Kim
Sep 27, 2009 rated it liked it
This book is exactly what I expected it to be...a veritable downpour of Hank Moody-esque dialogue and characters. In any other setting I might have written this book off as a male masturbatory tool, but given the fact that the book is supposed to be written by a fictional character known for such work, it fit really well. I recommend the book because it's a quick read and for all of you Californication fans, it's a good insight into Moody's brain.
C
Dec 18, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: 24-hours
For being what it is, it's definitely readable. It reads like a purple Bukowski. Can't miss chapter nine.

This was the first fiction book I finished on my kindle (having merely attempted that Robbins nonsense) and I was quite pleased with it. Not that reading a fiction book is any different than the theory texts or history I've read on it. But still.
Jo
Feb 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I started reading this knowing not to take it too seriously. It is, after all, a book from a tv show, but i have to say that i enjoyed it. It was nothing original or spectacular but it was fun. Full of cliches but still enjoyable. Even if you haven't seen the show i still recommend it.
Tiziana
Jan 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Hank Moody is one of my favorite characters from "Californication" so when I heard about this book, I had to read it. Very funny, witty, and entertaining. "God Hates Us All" is an awesome quick and comfort read.

• The Show (Peter Pan Man, #1)
  • Late, Late at Night
  • Holy Cow
  • Red: My Uncensored Life in Rock
  • Bucky F*cking Dent
  • Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang
  • Does the Noise in My Head Bother You?
  • Post Office
  • Hollywood
  • Vacances dans le coma (Marc Marronnier, #2)
  • White Line Fever: The Autobiography
  • JFK
  • Audrey, Wait!
  • Hotel Savoy
Fictional television character created for the tv-show: Californication, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0904208/.