Start by marking “The Complete Book of International Adoption: A Step by Step Guide to Finding Your Child” as Want to Read:

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  107 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
The go-to guide for everything you want to know about international adoption

From the initial decision—Is adoption right for you?—through returning home with your child—How can you ease the transition?The Complete Book of International Adoption takes parents step by step through the entire process of adopting a child from another country.

You will find:

• An easy-to-unders
Published November 7th 2006 by Harmony

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Book of International Adoption, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Book of International Adoption

Michelle
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Some of the data has become outdated especially travel requirements, wait time, and costs for individual countries but the questions it asks and the way it steers potential adoptive parents through the various considerations around international adoption is very good. A must read for parents considering adopting internationally.
Charlotte Gross
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I agree with others that the data and stats in this book are a bit outdated, but its questions, general information, and other chapters are incredibly well written and helpful. A worth ready!
Sarah Bringhurst
Jun 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adoption
Yep, we're thinking about adopting. And this is a witty and information-packed guide that does about what it promises. There's a bit of hubris to the title, but as far as general information about every step of the process, the book actually is pretty complete. The author is obviously one of those super-organized people, so her readers benefit from comprehensive lists and charts of everything from what to pack for a transatlantic flight with kids to 50+ questions to ask when interviewing an adop ...more
Jess
Mar 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely adored this book. I bought it as super preliminary research, since if Torsten and I adopt, it won't be for several years. But it was incredibly thorough and balanced, and very well written, and for me it was very informative. Also, the author was totally relatable and very funny. And I really appreciated how she began with a careful comparison of domestic and international adoption and went all the way through the whole international adoption, including what it's like once you are h ...more
Abby
Apr 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A great reference for anyone considering international adoption. I feel so much more educated, and it's nice to read everything in once place instead of spending time searching amongst the limitless webpages on the topic. Some of the country information is dated, so take that into consideration and double check any specifics before making decisions. But, the author writes with such good humor, I felt encouraged and entertained in addition to informed.
Shawna
Sep 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
Read this book if you are planning to adopt. It has step by step information, personal stories (and not all sappy - but not all tragic, either). I have found that books on adoption are either incredibly sappy, or terribly negative. I thought this was a good middle ground - leaning more toward positive. I learned a lot. It needs to be updated, some of the info is a little outdated, but the general information is great!
Cori
Jan 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone interested in adoption
Shelves: adoption
This book was THE book that lead my husband and I to international adoption. Dawn Davenport has a very easy, but engaging writing style and her information is organized very effectively.

Dawn Davenport recently started a podcast to go along with her constantly updated website. She offers the most up to date information about countries and international adoption.
Kaity Stuckert
Mar 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very comprehensive for anyone considering, in the process of, or has adopted a child. This book is a wealth of information and resources concerning international adoption. It is now a little out-dated, however, and I wish the author would issue a newer addition with updated data.
Sharis
Aug 28, 2008 rated it liked it
A lot of detailed information about international adoption in general. Takes you from making the decision to adopt all the way through after you get home (post adoption). I would definitely recommend this to someone interested in international adoption.
Cynthia Ayyad
Jul 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Good information for before, during and after the adoption.
Carolyn Johnson
Apr 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Very comprehensive book on international adoption. So much relevant information. A must-own for anyone adopting internationally.
L.e.
Mar 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
this was a really good primer for anyone thinking about going down this path...
Kacicalvaresi
Feb 13, 2012 rated it liked it
No information on my daughter's country(Serbia) and little information on indepently adopting from a non-Hague country, but still a great reference book for anyone considering international adoption.
Susan Treat
Feb 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
GOOD FOR RESEARCH
Erika
Apr 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
this book is like the "what to expect when you're expecting" of adoption. It will be a great reference through the process.
Keysha