Start by marking “The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 4: 1957-1958” as Want to Read:
The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 4: 1957-1958

The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 4: 1957-1958

(The Complete Peanuts #4)

As the 1950s close down, Peanuts definitively enters its golden age. Linus, who had just learned to speak in the previous volume, becomes downright eloquent and even begins to fend off Lucy's bullying; even so, his security neurosis becomes more pronounced, including a harrowing two-week "Lost Weekend" sequence of blanketlessness. Charlie Brown cascades further down the hi ...more
Published October 17th 2005 by Fantagraphics (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 4, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 4

Start your review of The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 4: 1957-1958
Alejandro
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-strip, humor
The natural order is established!

PEANUTS AS YOU WANT THEM!

It took like 3 years, but finally you get The Peanuts as most people may remember them from the TV Specials and TV series. Of course, it was cool to read the roots of the iconic comic strip, but it's better to read them and enjoy them as you remember them...

Lucy grew up and now is an equal to Charlie Brown in the area of discussions and conflicts, and while Linus is still in kindergarten, he already became the pal for good ol' Cha
Josiah
Mar 15, 2020 rated it it was ok
Spending time in the company of Charles Schulz and his Peanuts gang is a treat, and this book provides another three hundred thirteen pages to do so, as the strip moves out of its formative years and establishes a firm identity. 1957 starts well with a philosophical episode on January 2 (page one), Charlie Brown admitting to Patty that "I'd like to be able to feel that I'm needed." People who are truly needed bear a heavy social burden, she reminds him, so Charlie Brown amends his stance: "Well, ...more
Jerry
Jun 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
These strips are closer to what I'm used to from Peanuts: Charlie Brown getting into one mishap after another, Lucy bossing everyone around, Linus' attachment to his blanket, reading Snoopy's thoughts, etc. Still, some elements that later became hallmarks of the franchise--e.g., Sally, Snoopy's typewriter, and Woodstock--are nowhere to be found here; I'm sure they'll appear in later volumes. Peanuts is such a pop culture icon, it's hard to say something about it that hasn't already been said; yo ...more
Victor The Reader
A more energetic volume in the Peanuts series as we see Charlie Brown’s kite-flying fails and Snoopy messing around with Linus and his blanket, and his funny vulture impression. A (100%/Outstanding)
Mary Catelli
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Peanuts as we all know it, nearly perfectly in form. Snoopy's imagination is only turning him into animals of other kinds -- like vultures -- but Linus with his security blanket, the baseball team getting going (and somehow managing to get within one catch of the championship in spite of never doing anything right on panel), Pig-Pen, the kite albeit without the kite-eating tree, and more
Neil
Sep 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
The blossoming of Snoopy. Great stuff.
Spencer Borup
Jun 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The same cast as the last 5 years: Charlie Brown, Lucy van Pelt, Linus van Pelt, Snoopy, Schroeder, Violet, Patty, "Pig-Pen," and Shermy.

This book is my favorite of the '50s. The humor has hit its stride, and Schulz is shining with these characters' pain, anger, depression, philosophy, and witticisms.

Snoopy and Linus are the only characters still growing at this point. Linus is learning about the world, and it seems he's torn between intellectual and toddler. The genius with the blanket. Snoopy
Sammy
Sep 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic
A dynamite two years for the Peanuts gang - Schulz has really come into his own, and this collection is not just "promising": it's very very good. At the heart of the work, Charlie Brown has become a fascinating, multi-layered character whose resigned reactions to life and its concerns are as relevant to anyone of any age today, as they were to the boy and his creator in the 1950s.

Beyond this, all of the supporting characters prove their worth. Lucy and Linus, obviously, stand out, with the rest
Tom
Nov 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The only book in the series I own funny another master piece by Schulz
Gijs Grob
By 1957 the Peanuts comic strip had entered its classic age, which would arguably last until ca. 1965. Thus this volume already contains a large number of undisputed classic episodes. More importantly, Charlie Brown's failures, frustrations, and loneliness are central, and we can also watch Linus, and even Snoopy struggling. This makes many panels not only funny, but also poignant, heartfelt and ringing true. Moreover, Schulz is still experimenting with facial expressions in this stage, and ther ...more
Jeff
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
As the strip enters its seventh and eight years, no new characters emerge, and the core cast of Charlie Brown, Lucy, Linus, Snoopy, Schroeder, Pig Pen, Patty, Violet, and Shermy truly start to come into their own. Classic tropes like Charlie Brown's pencil pal, little league rain-outs, Lucy's obsession with fussbudgeting, Charlie Brown's futile kite-flying, Violet and Patty's full-on mean-girl personae, and Snoopy's assaults on Linus's blanket begin to make regular appearances, while Snoopy, sti ...more
Megan Kirby
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I've been SAD LATELY and my old roommate texted me saying "you have to stop reading Peanuts." The thing is, the way Peanuts so directly faces depression and disappointment comforts me on a deep level. (And makes me laugh out loud on the train, which is a real vibe to be putting out at 8 a.m.) Shulz's so-called "golden era" leans into the childhood sadness tropes I know and love, and tho i am ~v sad~ I couldn't be happier to read this collection.
Rebekah
“Peanuts

Last year my sons fell in love with Peanuts in English, and now they’re happy to look at the comics in Chinese.

It adds wonderfully outdated expletives to their vocabulary.
Amy
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good grief! It even has an index, including such entries as Snoopy. . . imitations. . . vulture (214, 215, 295, 296), and "Good Grief!" and suppertime and worms and Beethoven, Ludwig van. . .
Anthony
Mar 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
This collection of Peanuts comics reveals the growth and transformation of Snoopy from a cartoon dog to what readers, have come to know and love about him. The panels also reveal the peanut gang as their personalities are solidified, and the running gags of kite eating trees, baseball, missed football kicks, etc, and the everyday events in the gang's comings and goings.
Neil
Feb 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The major change in this volume; Snoopy's becoming Snoopy. The other character's are now well established, many characters have still yet to be introduced (no new ones at all in this volume) but other than the smaller cast by 1958 this is real Peanuts, good grief.
J.V. Seem
Dec 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
It's time I explain my Peanuts obsession, I think. Charles Schulz' mini universe is one I can totally relate to, which is why I started collecting the books.
The leading man, Charlie Brown struggles with his self-esteem, his often friendless and lonely state; in short, finding his place in the world, something I think we can all sympathize with.
He's especially an inspiration to me right now, or, rather, an inspiration to be less Charlie Brown and more Lucy van Pelt.
My transition into my theatre g
Saskia Marijke Niehorster-Cook
Reading Peanuts is one of the most endearing things for me. It is one of the few cartoons that I find hilariously funny, on a consistent basis. Today's "funnies" are not so much... Except the Calvin and Hobbes series perhaps...

The one thing I do not like and never understood is the name "Peanuts" as the title... Can someone illuminate me please?

This one in the series is an earlier one, and you can tell that the personalities are still in motion and that the characteristics are not so deeply set.
Rugg Ruggedo
Dec 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Once again the characters make moves towards the ones we know today. Sally is now a part of the series and her infatuation with Linus is just beginning to develop. I think this is the volume where Beethoven's birthday became a Peanuts national holiday. December 16th, for those who have forgotten Shroeder's frequent reminders. Bible quotes at Christmas first appeared during this period, and Lucy forcing Linus to be part of the Christmas Pageant became a yearly theme.
I'm having a lot of fun trave
Brandy
Oct 26, 2007 rated it really liked it
This edition marks the turning point, where Peanuts really comes together into the strip I never liked that much. I can appreciate it for what it is, but it doesn't appeal to me. The gags get repetitive, the characters become archetypes, and the art becomes tighter--which is a negative in that the Peanuts gang loses that "kid" look and starts looking like the tribe of really short 35-year-olds they act like. (The early strips had much looser lines and the kids looked more like kids (albeit hydro ...more
Travis
Jan 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic-strip
Another set of classic Peanuts strips. And I use "classic" both in terms of age and quality. This volume contains a couple of the best strips in all of Peanuts. The first is Charlie Brown sitting alone in a bucket of water instead of joining the rest of the kids in a pool. As a natural loner who often avoids social interaction while still yearning for it, I can totally relate to Charlie Brown. The second is Lucy building then smashing snowmen (the strip Matt Groening referenced in the forward to ...more
Rick
Jan 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Charlie Brown and friends are only getting better in this the fourth volume of what is supposed to be 20 plus volumes—alas, the Woodstock and Spike years lie ahead, mercifully far ahead at this point. This volume features the sublime sequence of strips where a championship for his team awaits only the catching of a pop up. The recurring themes of kite-eating trees, Linus’s battle with his blanket (and Snoopy), the supremacy of Beethoven in Schroeder’s life, and many other now famous ones populat ...more
Linda
Aug 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book where Snoopy is seen on top of the dog house. It doesn't go well to start but as we know it becomes second nature. Here though we see Snoopy as a vulture, penguin and dancer extraordinaire.

There are the baseball bits, Beethoven's birthday and Linus living life with thumb in mouth and blanket over shoulder. The characters are almost at the point where we know them best, some refining remains especially for Snoopy.

Fun and quick to read, always a pleasant time when you hang
Frank
Nov 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
All wonderful - with some very funny material. Many of the strips would hold-up just as well today as they did in the 50's.

The evolution of the Peanuts characters to the form I am most familiar with really starts to take shape in this volume.

This book is was very exciting to read - because you could see the emergence of the greatness ahead - not that the early material wasn't great as well - really Schulz hit the ground running, but the 60's starts in the next volume and, I think, that is when
Rob
Nov 08, 2010 rated it liked it
1957 wasn't Peanuts best year. With Shermy, Patty and Violet's presence receding, the pool of jokes threatens to turn into a puddle. There seems to be a higher percentage of reworked jokes than before. Also it must be said that Snoopy is something of an eyesore during this period; so elastic and totally lacking in the sharp lines that made him so adorable in the early years. By '58, Schulz finds new riffs and character combinations that leave the series arcing upward into the fertile 1960s.
Duane
Feb 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Peanuts is my favorite comic strip of all time and this volume in the collection showcases a important stage in the history of Peanuts. In this book you'll see Snoopy really come into the character that most of us remember him being. His imagination really pops and you start to see him pretend to be so many different characters that he was so great at. A great book!
Mike (the Paladin)
Mar 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I suppose I discovered the "extra depths" of Charles Schulz comic strips in the late 60s. Since then I've read them often oh so often. These are the basic first beginnings of the strip...

This isn't the only comic with depths of wisdom hidden in the humor, but it may be the best.

I can't recommend Peanuts highly enough...
Ashley
Jul 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
In my favourite volume so far, the Peanuts gang finally starts to take the shape that most recognize. Though still missing some of my favourite characters (Peppermint Patty, Marcie, Woodstock, Sally and Rerun), the cartoon is becoming the one I grew up loving. Almost at the heyday '60's and I can't wait.
Bob Potter
Sep 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another chapter with old friends!

This is another wonderful book with old friends. Every page has a smile. Snoopy reminiscing about his first day home, given a bed stand clock to sooth him on his first night Snoopy said it worked great too, until the alarm went off. Worth every penny. Wholeheartedly recommend it!

• Garfield Dishes It Out (Garfield, #27)
  • Big Nate: Dibs on This Chair
  • The Book You're Not Supposed to Have (Timmy Failure, #5)
  • Morning and Evening, Based on the English Standard Version
  • Little Big Nate Draws A Blank
  • Schulz and Peanuts: A Biography
  • Big Nate Makes a Splash (amp! Comics for Kids)
  • L'allegria
  • Il porto sepolto
  • Tutte le poesie
  • Verrà la morte e avrà i tuoi occhi
  • Garfield Bigger and Better (Garfield, #30)
  • Star Wars, Vol. 2: Showdown on the Smuggler's Moon
  • Birthday Letters
  • Crow: From the Life and Songs of the Crow (Faber Library)
  • Daybreak
  • Garfield #24
  • Angel Eyes (Spenser, #47)
Charles Monroe Schulz was an American cartoonist, whose comic strip Peanuts proved one of the most popular and influential in the history of the medium, and is still widely reprinted on a daily basis.

Schulz's first regular cartoons, Li'l Folks, were published from 1947 to 1950 by the St. Paul Pioneer Press; he first used the name Charlie Brown for a character there, although he applied the name in

The Complete Peanuts (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 1: 1950-1952
  • The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 9: 1967-1968
  • The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 10: 1969–1970
  • The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 11: 1971 - 1972

News & Interviews

“I feel kind of depressed today... Do you ever have the feeling that life has passed you by?
Worse than that... Sometimes I think life and I are going in opposite directions!”
128 likes
“There sure are a lot of these 'instant' products on the market. Instant coffee, instant tea, instant pudding, instant cereal... instant dislike.” 55 likes