Start by marking “The Beast of Bellevue” as Want to Read:
The Beast of Bellevue

The Beast of Bellevue

"He was the most beautiful boy that she had ever seen...and she had confused him with her prince."

When 17-year-old Dylan Albright mischievously creates a dating website posing as his unsuspecting heartthrob brother, he doesn't realize what is at risk is his own heart. Locked in Bellevue Sanatorium, 17-year-old Ava Pierce stumbles upon soccer star Alec Albright's photo
Paperback
Published December 1st 2020 by Reading Harbor

To ask other readers questions about The Beast of Bellevue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Beast of Bellevue

Start your review of The Beast of Bellevue
Darce
Nov 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
ARC copy provided in exchange for an honest review. This in no way changes my rating or review.

3.5 sweet stars🤍

This book was SO CUTE. The characters were all such wholesome, sweet, kind children that I couldn’t help but feel an urgent need to squish their cheeks and give them chocolates, and the romance and actual storyline were just as wholesome.

This story switches between a whole variety of POVs – mainly Ava, Dylan, Alec and Taylor. These four teenagers each lead very different lives, but
rebecca
Thank you to Netgalley for providing a copy in exchange for an honest review

elevator pitch: Ava has been institutionalised for almost half her life. Feeling very isolated, she starts speaking to 'Alec' online. What Ava doesn't know is that she's actually speaking to Alec's brother, Dylan who has started a money making scheme to keep their family afloat.

review: The cover led me to believe this was going to be a more introspective story about an isolated girl. It's more like a teen movie, where n
thewoollygeek (tea, cake, crochet & books)
I’m mixed on this, whereas I kinda enjoyed the story, I feel let down by it too. I felt overall it felt shallow and lacking depth , because of the description you think you are going to get so much more. It felt middle grade, not YA, like reading an awkward pre-teen movie, it had it fun moments but just so much less than it could have been
BT
Oct 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
[Review of ARC copy]

This story is actually the exact opposite of Beauty and the Beast. In this spin, the story line reverses the roles of the male and female character. In the original, the female character is "Belle" or French for beautiful.

That's something I have never really liked. Sure, she was smart in the Disney version. But really would Beast have loved her if she hadn't been the only one who stumbled upon his castle and also drop-dead gorgeous? All the towns people seemed to love her fo
Sylvs (NOVELty Reads)
Nov 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
ARC kindly provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

You CANNOT do that to me.

You honestly cannot make me feel so many emotions all at once in the spam of just 200 or so pages yet somehow, this book managed to do it! And so well too! I felt everything from happiness, sadness, anger to even empathy towards the characters. All I wanted to do was reach out across the pages and hug each and every one of them, especially Alec. He deserved a hug the most.

The Beast of Be
Galy
I recieved this ebook from Xpresso Book Tours in exchange for an honest review. Thank you! All opinions are my own.

A cute retelling of Beauty and Beast. I thought it was okay but I found it a bit slow. But the story itself is beautiful.

This is the story of seventeen-year-old Ava who lived in an asylum where her parents sent her agains her will. She had no real life connections until she found this website about a boy looking for friends. Dylan created a dating website posing as his brother Alec
Layla
Nov 02, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received an eARC through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

3/3.5 stars.

This wasn't exactly what I thought it was going to be. It began dark and gothic and I thought were headed for perhaps a fantasy realism story, however it just turned into a teen contemporary.

I liked some of the characters and felt that Ava had depth and layers to her. There was a haunting sad undertone to the whole story that I appreciated and had hoped was going to be the main theme of the story.

The small nods to
Jamice Robinson
Sep 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Beast of Bellevue is a very interesting take on the fairytale Beauty and The Beast. Instead of the beast being trapped in a castle, it’s sweet Ava, who is actually a beauty who’s been treated like a beast by her family, trapped in a mental institution. Thanks to her grandfather, Ava is still able to reach the outside world where she meets brothers Alec and Dylan, who set out to rescue her. This was pretty decent paced story, I adored Ava and disliked her family for the way they treated her. ...more
Bang
Oct 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Elyse (ElyseReadsandSpeaks)
Dec 02, 2020 rated it did not like it
Well. That was not good.

I was excited for the plot itself - a role reversal of Beauty and the Beast where Belle is a patient at Bellevue? Great!

Unfortunately, no. No it was not.

It's pitched as YA but it reads a lot younger. The characters are flat and unlikable, the plot has so many holes, and it honestly doesn't mirror Beauty and the Beast that much. I just don't think you can pitch it as a modern role reversal if there really aren't enough parallels to the original story. I don't remember ther
Mar
Nov 06, 2020 rated it it was ok

This was so frustrating for me. I wanted to love this book because Beauty and the beast is one of my favorite fairytales but I just... this wasn't what I was expecting.
There were so many plot holes and things that happened out of nowhere and ugh. I kinda liked Ava most of the time and Alec and Dylan were sometimes entertaining but the actual plot was so messy it didn't let me enjoyed this.

Thank you to Netgalley and the publishers for the chance to read this book in exchange for an hone
Kay Mcleer
Oct 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
i appreciated how different this was as a fairy tale retelling, I really liked the twist and enjoyed reading this book. It kept the magic of the original Beauty and the Beast fairy tale and I look forward to more from the author.
Andy Patterson
Oct 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
[ARC Galley]

Love this book! Realistic relationships. I really like Alec because he has a good personality.
Asta
Oct 01, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-kindle
[Thanks to NetGalley for providing a free copy of the book in exchange for an honest review]

The Beast of Bellevue is a good example of why you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover. Because the cover is what attracted me in the first place - it's gorgeous. Unfortunately, what was under the cover, not so much.

I really wanted to love this book. The premise sounded promising - a retelling of Beauty and the Beast. But instead of a beast, we get to meet Ava, a young girl locked in a mental institute w
FictionFixer
Dec 31, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
I’d like to thank NetGalley for providing me with a free eARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I’m going to forego my usual “the good, the bad, and the ugly” style of review here since I can’t really give a full review after DNFing this book at 10%. I will, however, give some of my reasons as to why I had to DNF The Beast of Bellevue.

The Beast of Bellevue had a ton of potential as a cisgender-role-reversal Beauty and the Beast retelling. It was willing to incorporate difficult topic
Jenna Rideout
Nov 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received a complimentary eARC of The Beast of Bellevue through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Rating: 3.5

The Beast of Bellevue is a modern spin on the Beauty and the Beast story but blended with teenage problems in a world full of modern technology. Ava has spent most of her life in a mental health facility and interacts with people her own age online. In some ways, she's the "Beauty" of this situation and in other ways, it feels like she's been written as the "Beast." Her counterp
Elizabeth Mathis
Rating: 3/5 Penguins
Quick Reasons: Beauty and the Beast retelling, with a twist!; some of the plot devices felt a bit forced to me; quick, intriguing read

Huge thanks to Grace Chen, Reading Harbor Publishing, and YA Bound Book Tours for sending a galley of this title my way in exchange for an honest review. This in no way altered my read of or opinions on this book.

This was an interesting, quick read. The characters were fresh and exciting, the plot kept me wondering throughout, and Grace Chen fo
Kelly
Dec 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book from LibraryThing.com to read and review.

The Beast of Bellevue is a retelling of Beauty and the Beast, one of my favorite fairy tales of all time. The Beast, however, is no scary lion-headed man creature. Instead, the Beast is Ava, a broken girl trapped in Bellevue Insane Asylum after a fire, in which people got hurt. Ava, it seems, had started the fire, and since she is unable to face the fact that she is a danger to others, she will never leave Bellevue.

Alec is a
Carro Herdegen
Oct 14, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: kiss-the-book
Language: PG13 (12 swears, 0 “f”); Mature Content: PG; Violence: PG
Having spent the last eight years in an asylum, Ava yearns for her freedom -- freedom to go outside, freedom to go to high school, freedom to make friends. Dylan Albright just wants someone to see him for him and not because he is the brother of Alec the soccer star. When Ava and Dylan connect online, it seems like everything they want is within reach; if only their secrets weren’t blocking the way.
As a clever retelling of Beauty
Born To Read
Nov 14, 2020 rated it it was ok
I received a free copy via Xpresso Book Tours in exchange for an honest review.
Ava has been in Bellevue Insane Asylum since she was a child. Using a small compact that her grandfather left her, she can see the outside world.
And she sees Alec. Actually, she can see everything about him. Including his subscription to a dating website. So, she decides to use it to contact Alec.
What Ava doesn't know it's that the one using the dating website is Dylan, Alec's brother. In order to get some money, Dyl
Thieving Magpie
Oct 21, 2020 rated it it was ok
I usually love a good Beauty And the Beast story. Usually. But this... This was neither good nor much Beauty and the Beast. I don't even know how I managed to read this book when I wanted to skim it after 23%. There are Wattpad Stories better than that book and I have never read a good story on Wattpad. For all I know, this book could have been a Wattpad story.
The characters were so clichéd and so unlikeable, the writing was absolutely juvenile, even for a YA/Teens book and I felt myself cringe
Thanh
Oct 10, 2020 rated it did not like it
[ Free copy from NetGalley]

I noticed this book because of the beautiful cover and interesting synopsis. Needless to say I was more than dissapointed.
The book is about a girl called Ava who is stuck in a mental asylum since she was 9 years old. She has a interesting device that her grandpa left her, which is kinda like a computer. With this said device she starts to communicate with the brothers Dylan and Alec. It is kinda described as being inspired by Beauty and the Beast.
So let's start with t
AliseWinters
Oct 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
[ARC Copy Provided in Exchange for Review]

I like this book a lot! It's got more nuances than I think the original fairytale version, which to me was more along the lines of formerly handsome prince who is really lonely and kinda' desperate falls in love with beautiful girl forced to stay in castle due to curse breaking.

I'm a big fan of beauty and the beast stories but this one as I get older just makes me feel better about relationships being difficult and challenging.

I like how the mirror was
Tali
Dec 05, 2020 rated it it was ok
The cover led me to believe this was going about an isolated girl.

Sadly enough it's more like a teen movie, where nothing feels all that realistic.

The writing was I found was too basic and the character development was outright stated instead of naturally developing.

There were several plots that felt like they shouldn't of been added as they fit the story and like they go nowhere, as well as a lot of coincidences that nobody ever mentions how wild they are.
It's pretty much a beauty and a bea
-RadioactiveBookworm-
Feb 08, 2021 rated it it was ok
A story of a teen romance with a twist, this book wasn't for me. Not saying it's a bad book, just that it wasn't for me. With a synopsis that played up a more fantastical story in general, I thought I would be swept away in the imaginative world and interesting characters, but just wasn't swept away by anything. I felt like I was missing something, like I was standing on the outside of a conversation a parent was having in front of their kids, and that's just not something that's exciting for me ...more
Pixie 🍜
Jan 11, 2021 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
A thank you to the publishers and netgalley for this arc in exchange of an honest review.

This one wasn’t for me: the writing feels clumsy and disjointed and like it needs another few rounds of editing. The flow is hard to follow and large parts of it don’t quite make sense. What my university lecturers used to call awkward phrasing, but also just segments that are very confusing.

For me, this meant it couldn’t get into the story. It’s supposed to be YA but lacks depth and weight to it, feeling
Shikha
Nov 24, 2020 rated it did not like it
I really wanted to like this book. I want to feel connected to it. I got into thinking the story is about loneliness during teenage years. Making friends and recognising self. But I can't get into the story.It feel boring to read,I don't care about the character or anything happening to them. The plot feel slow.

This is one of the book I don't care to finish. I left at 20%.I think it just me. The writing is good but the story does not work for me.

** I received free e- arc from Netgally for an ho
Tonya
Oct 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
[ARC Review]

Love the story of Ava! She is so sweet. This is a simple & straight forward story about a girl overcoming her circumstances. I read it like a situational comedy.

It's really different from Beauty & the Beast in many ways although I can see the influences from the original in it. I like the departure from the original because it involved more relationships and was lighthearted in tone.

I'd recommend it to others who are looking for something happy & uplifting.
Crystina
Nov 27, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: owned-arc
The concept of this book definitely is promising, but it doesn't quite deliver. I found myself struggling to relate to the characters and I felt overall disconnected from the world. The writing was par for the course, but the story felt as though it was moving at a glacial pace. It felt more like a story better told as a short story or novella at most. ...more
Donna Weber
Oct 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
[Review of ARC]

I enjoyed it! Looking forward to more books like this. It is quite a bit different from the original or what I expected.
The Official Book Trailer is Available! 5 10 Nov 13, 2020 02:05AM
Team Alec or Team Dylan? 3 4 Oct 10, 2020 09:53AM
The YA Book Club: READ NOW: ARC - A Twist on A Tale as Old as Time 1 17 Sep 27, 2020 09:35AM
NetGalley Readers: This topic has been closed to new comments. READ NOW: ARC - A Twist on A Tale as Old as Time 1 41 Sep 27, 2020 09:23AM

• Anxious People
  • Lava Red Feather Blue
  • The Russian Cage (Gunnie Rose #3)
  • The Famoux
  • The Cup and The Prince (Kingdom of Curses and Shadows #1)
  • The Shack
  • Silver in the Wood (The Greenhollow Duology, #1)
  • The Only Good Indians
  • A Tale of Magic... (A Tale of Magic, #1)
  • A Song of Wraiths and Ruin (A Song of Wraiths and Ruin, #1)
  • How to Launch and Market a Book: The Six Month Countdown
  • Remembering Shanghai: A Memoir of Socialites, Scholars and Scoundrels
  • Lost One Standing
  • Pride and Premeditation (Jane Austen Murder Mystery, #1)
  • The Secret (The Secret, #1)
  • Millicent Glenn's Last Wish
Grace Chen is a published author of three books so far. A research scientist by day, Grace also runs her own publishing company. This multi-talented woman also has a bachelor in biochemistry and molecular biology, as well as a master in chemistry. Grace likes to pursue her passions for helping the world through multiple avenues and has a diverse array of hobbies. She has even appeared on a TV real ...more