Start by marking “Granny D: Walking Across America in My Ninetieth Year” as Want to Read:
Granny D: Walking Across America in My Ninetieth Year

Granny D: Walking Across America in My Ninetieth Year

In 2000, ninety-year-old Doris 'Granny D' Haddock completed her 3,200-mile, fourteen-month walk to Washington D.C. Along her way, her remarkable speeches, rich with wisdom, love, and political insight, transformed individuals and communities and jump-started a full-blown movement.

"There's a cancer, and it's killing our democracy. A poor man has to sell his soul to get elec
Published June 12th 2001 by Villard (first published January 1st 2001)

Larry Bassett
Nov 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
There is a small band of people who walk long distances for peace or justice. They confront the unjust world one step at a time. Doris Haddock was one of that band and Granny D is her story. She was 89 when she started out from Pasadena, California. She was 90 when she arrived in Washington, DC, fourteen months later on February 29, 2000.

So here we go on a desert morning, bound for the Texas line: The friends are ready. Test the shoulder of the road to see if the gravel will roll under foot or
Saleh MoonWalker
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Onvan : Granny D: Walking Across America in My Ninetieth Year - Nevisande : Doris Haddock - ISBN : 375505393 - ISBN13 : 9780375505393 - Dar 304 Safhe - Saal e Chap : 2001
Connie
May 18, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Starting on January 1, 1999 Dennis Burke chronicles Doris Haddock's trek from Los Angeles to Washington D.C. to raise awareness to big money's role in politics not only diluting but eliminating the voice of the People based on her daily journal entries. Impromptu "advance" men with changing faces except for her son Jim scout future towns and cities along the way to schedule speaking engagements. Established friends and strangers who become friends provide company as they walk with her for a day ...more
Gwen
Nov 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
Granny's cause was election reform, but I feel the walk did as much for her as a person as it did for her reader's. At the end she said her doctor said the walk had helped her arthritis and her emphysema, but not her back pain. To her it was worth it and she made many new friends, gave her life a new meaning.

Definitely a person I would enjoy sitting down and having a chat with. She voices many of the aspects of aging that I have felt and couldn't quite put into words. I always said if you have a
Malia
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-of-2017
I really like these walk books that I read, and this one is endearing cause shes a spunky 90th year old.
She walks the southern route across United States, and her cause is Political Reform. If she only new now its worse...(I said previously that she was 100.) Might have felt like it, like me.)
Cheryl
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
Did not enjoy...much too political for me! Enjoyed the personal bits about her life.
Kathy
Sep 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Her determination and ideals were ver admirable. It is truly amazing what one person can do. The book got
Long and a little redundant but I was glad to hear her story.
Joanna
Aug 22, 2010 rated it liked it
It seems kind of cheesy to describe a book as inspirational - but it is impossible to read this book and not feel that inspirational is the word that best fits Doris Haddock's story.

While a great deal of this book is about her walk across America in an attempt to draw attention to the need for campaign finance reform, it is also a wonderful story about never being too old to fight for your beliefs and how our passions keep us young in our later years. And it is about the love that citizens have
Cindy
Dec 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
To fight for campaign finance reform. We no longer have a democracy,. The govt. is owned by corporations. Whatever causes you care for: environment, human rights, health care reform etc., this MUST come first.

This book is also full of folksy wisdom and stories from a 90 year old.

"It was your hard times that made you so interesting, so wise and able to laugh at life. Aren't we lucky, friend, to be the creatures of such a genius Creator that even our darkest troubles graciously serve to deepen and
Chelsea
Jul 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Way better than I expected. A travelogue and activists' how-to manual, perfectly interspersed with anecdotes about growing up in the 1910s. Granny's observations on life and death don't come across as pithy or cliche; she speaks hard-earned truths often delivered with dry, cheeky wit. The actual speeches she gave at stops along the way, added in an appendix, make a great addition. Granny's perspectives on campagin finance reform, the role of government, and the capacity for change are enough to ...more
Ljonz
Aug 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Doris Haddock was 89 in 1999 and had two birthdays on the road. She walked to protest big money in politics. She is so full of humor, wisdom, philosophy and heart that when things come up during my day, I hear myself asking “What would Granny D do?”

I learned of her walk because a couple weeks ago a theater presentation about Granny D brought her to my attention. If anyone wants this excellent presentation in their community, you can contact Jeff Sebens, at j.sebens@yahoo.com, 276-318-3808, to le
Mary Louise Clifford
Jul 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
A delightful recounting of Granny's one-year walk across the United States to emphasize the need for campaign finance reform. She describes the many people she met, the hospitality she received, and the conditions under which she hiked in amusing, warm-hearted detail. One can't help admiring her courage and determination. Oh, that her efforts had resulted in some tiny measure of campaign finance reform.
Amy
Jul 17, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: politics
Met Mrs. Haddock when she visited our university. I had read her book in advance of her visit and found that it added greatly to the experience I had as one of her escorts for the day and moderator for her town hall lecture. She is a woman of indelible insight and indomitable courage. I can't imagine walking across the entire country to prove a point myself (let alone at the age of nearly 90). Read the book, visit her website, see the early 2007 documentary on her cause....it's all good!
Dana
Dec 04, 2007 rated it really liked it
"we gotta touch the hands all across the land just like granny d, and if you're feeling what i'm sayin' won't you jump with us please..." Ruby Valentine featured on Scream Club's song "Don't F*ck With My Babies"

my mom read this book and recommended it to me. granny d is a bit conservative for me. she's a reformist. but i'm into what she did. so awesome. you ARE never too old to raise hell.
Kathryn
Jul 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
I was impressed by 90 year old Granny D Haddock's determination to complete a 14 month walk from LA to the steps of the Capital in Washington, DC to call attention to the need for national campaign finance reform. She showed that one needs a purpose in life and should "go for it"!
SouthWestZippy
I am ah of this woman. Very interesting and inspirational. Well written for a quick read.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Jul 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: travel, old-age
An eighty-nine year old woman walks across
America to encourage campaign financing reforms.

Carol
Jun 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biographies
Amazing to me that a 90 year old could walk across the country in all kinds of weather. Such an incredible lady. Enjoyed her insight.
Susan
Nov 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
I can imagine what Granny D would have to say about Donald Trump if she were still with us.
Marilyn
Jan 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-club, memoir
Another incredible book worth reading more for the story than the writing. If you care about issues, put your feet to the fire, and be the change you want in the world.
Danielle
rated it did not like it
May 03, 2012
Jan 30, 2014
Ann Farrell
Oct 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Doris "Granny D" Haddock was an American politician and liberal political activist from the state of New Hampshire. Between 1999 and 2000, over a span of fourteen months, Haddock walked 3,200 miles across the continental United States to advocate campaign finance reform. In 2004 she ran unsuccessfully as a Democratic challenger to incumbent Republican Judd Gregg for the U.S. Senate.

Haddock's walk